[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

5 minutes ago, BillKerman1234 said:

Question: what mod is that shuttle from? It looks super well-made, and more detailed than any shuttle mod I’ve ever seen. 

Yup its an amazing looking shuttle for sure!

Its the Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit (SOCK) from Benjee10, the developer of reDirect. SOCK is currently WIP but close to the first full release (dev thread linked below). It also doesnt come with the ET and boosters, that has to be grabbed from reDirect.

Edited by Zorg

26 minutes ago, Petrovich said:

Pardon me if I'm being dumb, but where can one find these swanky new titan textures?

Dev branch on GitHub. Standard disclaimers about using a dev install in a save game apply.

Also @CobaltWolf, I noticed on the last stream that the SRMU seemed to be a different shade of white than the nosecones. Is that intentional, or just because they’re unfinished?

12 hours ago, Jall said:

Dev branch on GitHub. Standard disclaimers about using a dev install in a save game apply.

Also @CobaltWolf, I noticed on the last stream that the SRMU seemed to be a different shade of white than the nosecones. Is that intentional, or just because they’re unfinished?

I'm fairly certain that's just the lighting in the Unity editor. I didn't notice any issue in game.

voUKWN5.png

Of course super chuffed about having the new Titan IV stuff in game but equally excited for the gold paint for Titan III-E :) (at  least some III-Es have used a gold-ish paint though the scheme is different from Titan IV)

sPdMBShh.png

4frr8Ojh.png

Zfnrksrh.png

MGFCPFXh.png

tdzjrcfh.png

Star 37 doing final kick for the Voyager (courtesy of Coatl Probes Plus)

gCsMleMh.png

R9xnnnQh.png

6 hours ago, Turk_WLF said:

Just wondering if this mod plays well with Mechjeb?

You should also use AoA limits depending on the launch vehicle, I strongly recommend using it on vehicles with little relative control authority, while vehicles with ample control authority (whether it be from winglets/fins or from engine gimbal) don’t really need it (it actually makes the gravity turn less efficient, so only limit AoA if absolutely necessary).

I generally don’t use autostage, and when I do it’s only for portions of the flight where there are multiple separations in quick succession (i.e. asparagus staging or the SRBs on a Delta II). I always use corrective steering (turn it off if the rocket is overcorrecting it’s trajectory, and then turn it back on when the rocket has stabilized). I recommend setting the max acceleration to about 35m/s^2 for both realism and to keep aerodynamic heating down, also use this feature if you have crew/part G-limits enabled. You can use the “Limit Q To” feature if you really want to, but I haven’t found it to be that useful even if you have part pressure-limits on, though I guess it could be useful if you have FAR installed.

10 hours ago, hieywiey said:

How’d you get the shiny centaur?

I did it using a custom Textures Unlimited config. Since Textures unlimited applies its reflection on a per model basis, I: 

1) made a copy of the Centaur D1 tank model in a personal folder,

2) created a +PART config copy of the original D1 tank, but changed the model path to the copied one. 

3) Applied the TU reflection config to the copied model

This way I have the Original Centaur D1 as well as a bare metal Centaur D1-T.

An alternative might be to stack a bunch of the smaller 1.875m tanks meant for the lower part of the Centaur G/T if you didnt want to muck about with all this. Its what I used to do. It wont be reflective but it will have the bare metal look.

Edited by Zorg

15 hours ago, Zorg said:

Of course super chuffed about having the new Titan IV stuff in game but equally excited for the gold paint for Titan III-E :) (at  least some III-Es have used a gold-ish paint though the scheme is different from Titan IV)

That's awesome! I know @Drakenex made the fairing texture, but where do you get it? I wish there was a preset for proper biconic fairings too...

4 hours ago, hieywiey said:

I recommend setting the max acceleration to about 35m/s^2 for both realism and to keep aerodynamic heating down, also use this feature if you have crew/part G-limits enabled.

If you wanted to be realistic, you shouldn't limit the acceleration. Most engines, especially lifter engines, don't throttle at all. The ones that do are pretty much all modern. I've long through about making a realistic throttle range patch for BDB, just for fun.

4 hours ago, Zorg said:

An alternative might be to stack a bunch of the smaller 1.875m tanks meant for the lower part of the Centaur G/T if you didnt want to muck about with all this. Its what I used to do. It wont be reflective but it will have the bare metal look.

One of these days I'll remake the Centaur parts (maybe not the RL-10s but idk) to make them... good.

I have the apartment to myself this weekend, so I'm planning on trying to bang out the Titan 1 if I can. Should be fun. I wasn't planning on streaming Friday night (though I might), but I am planning on streaming during the morning and maybe early afternoon Saturday, and in the morning on Sunday. Cheers!

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

That's awesome! I know @Drakenex made the fairing texture, but where do you get it? I wish there was a preset for proper biconic fairings too...

This variant is from the unreleased pack he made a little while back but Drakenex mentioned he wants to redo them with proper normals before releasing publicly. 

15 hours ago, Zorg said:

R9xnnnQh.png

well since you did the Star Trek 1 shot of V'Ger    I give you all the Mother of all Borg!   (the Father of all Borg being Spock of course!)

11 hours ago, Turk_WLF said:

Just wondering if this mod plays well with Mechjeb?

Others have mentioned how they fly with Mechjeb...   I will tell you some of the basics of how I fly

I DO use Ascent Guidance

I DO NOT Auto throttle for many of the rockets.   But I DO throttle for my missions with Tourists if I am PARTS and FUNDS limited only!

I DO alter the AOA limits in MJ as I proceed up in altitude (MJ seems to be adjusted for a 2.5x system with it's AOA limiter cut off... so below 10km I have it set to 8 degrees and above 10-15km I manually change it to 15-20 degrees for most launches.

I DO MANUALLY set up the flight profile.   The Auto profile is fine for an all liquid rocket but for something like Titan IIIC or later / Saturn II with the SRM first stage.   The Auto flight profile does not do well in these situations!

I do set my pitch over to start at 2km and I set it to end it's turn at 70km with generally about a 60% slope.   <- THIS IS NOT LIKE REAL LIFE FOR MOST LAUNCHES but due to the scale and how the atmo works It seems to be best for me and my payloads.

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

"Applied the TU reflection config to the copied model"

Would you be able to reference documentation for configs, or provide an example at all?
The bare metal look could be quite good for the Apollo CM itself.

Here you go: You just need to add the path to any model you want to affect where I added the Centaur tank. You can add as many models as you want there, you dont need to create a new node for each new model.

For what its worth I did try it on the Apollo capsule but didn't care for the result. 

Spoiler

@REFLECTION_CONFIG[default]
{
    %enabled = true
}

KSP_MODEL_SHADER
{
    name = Stock_FullMetal

//Centaur D1-T
        model = Zorg/Centaur_Shiny/bluedog_Centaur_D3Tank

MATERIAL
    {
        shader = SSTU/PBR/Metallic

inheritTexture = _MainTex
        inheritTexture = _BumpMap
        inheritTexture = _Emissive

excludeMesh = flagTransform
        excludeMesh = Flag

PROPERTY
        {
            name = _Metal
            float = 0.75
        }
        PROPERTY
        {
            name = _Smoothness
            float = 0.75
        }
    }
}

Just now, jpinard said:

Where does one get one of those gorgeous launch assemblies?

Modular Launch Pads (be sure to grab AlphaDev branch on the github. Theres only a handful of parts on the earlier one, AlphaDev has all the good stuff). :)

When CobaltWolf started on the SRMUs I wasn't THAT invested as I had gotten very fond of the amazing looking revamped UA120 series, I thought the SRMUs would look a bit boring in comparison. I was wrong of course, the SRMUs look so crisp! And with the full set now in the dev branch plenty of fun to be had. I call this launch vehicle "Omeg-huH?"

rAjy3BLh.png

IgsBroJh.png

v491KqTh.png

Additionally they are a very nice drop in replacement for the UA1207s on multibody Saturns. I think the cleaner look of the SRMUs match Saturn better.

z7IMVIjh.png

ID5TJ61h.png

Personally, I think the SRMUs are a little too clean right now... the textures were a bit rushed since I decided I wanted to just try and get Titan 4 in game. I'd like to differentiate the single segment and half segment's autoshrouds a bit too... And I think @Jay The Amazing Toaster was right - I'm not sure the white is correct. I'll need to double check it. But, I figure better to just push on for now and make notes of things I want to go back and double check. Probably better to get everything for the update in game and then go back to mess with textures some more.

And yes, Saturn Multibody with SRMUs is awesome. Another idea someone had mentioned once - Atlas V with two SRMUs? :)

I also was trying to figure out what to use the two new SRMUs for...

36XCJyo.png

VWNiVDK.png

5 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I love that! The chunky SRBs make me think of a like a Japanese H3 on (hypergolic) steroids!

Yeah that's kind of what I was picturing while making it! Another thing I've been thinking of - I wonder how easy it would be to make a PSLV-alike with the parts we have now (or will soon) - something like a UA1204 first stage, Titan 2 or 3 second stage, maybe like an Orbus 21 in a fairing for the third, and a Transtage for the 4th? Might be neat! :)

Also, forgot to show, but a small preview of some of the parts I'm making to go with the Titan 1 - adapters! :)
From left to right, these correspond roughly with the current short adapter, current "medium" adapter, and then the long one - that's going to be pulling double duty!
The long adapter will be available as a separate structural part, but will also be one of the autoshroud options for the LR-91-AJ3.
I know I wanted adapters to be "generic" parts now, but because I needed the autoshroud anyways... I don't think these will be. That's no big deal, it just means if you prune the Titan folder you won't have them.
I might still make a generic adapter. I need to make one for 2.5m > 1.875m too anyways.

NxP2I2j.png

3 minutes ago, jpinard said:

So beautiful!  Have you thought about doing a config so these are compatible with Real Solar System, and Realism Overhaul?

Isn't that something normally being done by the RSS/RO team / contributors? I am not @CobaltWolf, but I'd say that adds a whole new layer of complexity, having to admin yet even more config files.