[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

The models and textures look extremely good ! Does anybody know if it's possible to apply them to stock parts ? For example, applying the Gemini texture to the Mk2 Command Pod, or making the Skiff engine look like a J-2 ?

5 minutes ago, Mopoii said:

The models and textures look extremely good ! Does anybody know if it's possible to apply them to stock parts ? For example, applying the Gemini texture to the Mk2 Command Pod, or making the Skiff engine look like a J-2 ?

Not an expert but that is not something that can really be done, however there is a mod that brings most stock parts up to the standard of this mod. It is from a different author though so the style is close but not exact.

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

14 minutes ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Not an expert but that is not something that can really be done, however there is a mod that brings most stock parts up to the standard of this mod. It is from a different author though so the style is close but not exact.

Yeah, I've already got Restock installed, it's just I really like the feeling these textures give better. And DLC parts, such as the Skiff engine I was talking about, haven't been remodeled yet :/

Might be possible to put something together, but I'm far from sure ...

3 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

It is from a different author though so the style is close but not exact.

Actually, @CobaltWolf is one of ReStock's contributors. The style differences come from different goals of BDB and ReStock. Engines are made by Nertea for most part, but they fit with BDB surprisingly well if you use the more minimalist thrust structure options.

About the most glaring difference between ReStock and BDB is solar panels, and that's presumably because BDB solar panels have not been revamped since the reflective shader was implemented (indeed, the IUS is the first BDB part to use it in any capacity).

I can't seem to find the Titan Transtage in the parts lists after updating to the latest Dev Build. I know I've done something wrong, I'm just not sure what. Great mod, by the way. I feel you are bringing these launchers back to life in a way.

10 hours ago, Mopoii said:

Short answer is that it's not possible to do such a thing

It could be done, but not easily, as the 3D model(s) for the stock parts would have to be imported into a 3D modeling program, and be remade to match so it could use the texture image, or alternatively rearranging the texture image to math that of the stock model's UV map...i.e. a huge amount of work.

Or just, you know, use BDB instead and get rid of the stock parts. :)

I don't know if anybody else wants this, but I installed previously and I was astounded by how HUGE this mod is! What I'm asking is if it would be possible to have optional DLs of smaller parts of the mod, e.g, the Apollo bits, Gemini/titan, Mercury and early spaceflight, and the probes. I have no idea how easy or hard this is but it's something I'd like to see.

Edited by Spacenerd Kerman
Spelling mistakes...

On 7/13/2019 at 12:16 AM, Zorg said:

Oh I missed this post before my above reply that's interesting. I had noticed the XRS 2200 looked suspiciously yellow as well so was quite intrigued :huh:

1920px-Twin_Linear_Aerospike_XRS-2200_Engine_PLW_edit.jpg

Didn't you mean J-2L???   :)  

7 hours ago, Nucluer said:

Has anyone experienced this warning?

7 hours ago, BNSF1995 said:

Good, I'm not the only one who got that warning.

Nothing to see here... please move along.    The warnings will disapear when the old Titan Parts are depreciated out of BDB and they (the warnings) cause ZERO issues that have been reported.

8 hours ago, Nucluer said:

Has anyone experienced this warning?

8 hours ago, BNSF1995 said:

Good, I'm not the only one who got that warning.

Yeah, those are known issues that I'm not fixing because the parts in question are getting remade from scratch - indeed, they already have been, just not packaged into an official release.

6 hours ago, Spacenerd Kerman said:

I don't know if anybody else wants this, but I installed previously and I was astounded by how HUGE this mod is! What I'm asking is if it would be possible to have optional DLs of smaller parts of the mod, e.g, the Apollo bits, Gemini/titan, Mercury and early spaceflight, and the probes. I have no idea how easy or hard this is but it's something I'd like to see.

6 hours ago, Friznit said:

You can just delete the folders in gamedata that you don't want 

Well, not "folders in gamedata" - but if you go into Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Parts/ the folders in there can be deleted, keeping only what you want to use. Maintaining multiple releases isn't something I'm interested in.

Dev stream going live on Twitch!

Alright so... update from the stream: SOLTAN didn't get done, the new Transtage parts are up on Github, and LDC Titan got two new WIP engine mounts. Not bad, I think. There's a bonus extra new part hidden in these screenshots, if anyone can find it... :)

0sxP1jl.png

LDC First Stage 2x Mounting Option (Basically untextured still...)

c42EidB.png

LDC Second Stage 4x Engine Mount

vbtMwvR.png

30 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

[snip]

Are the engines on the second stage the new bonus part? What are they? I wish I could try this out, but my power’s out due to Barry and my generator can’t run my desktop‘s power supply. I still have my MacBook though, but it’s not very powerful and I don’t have KSP on it at the moment.

15 minutes ago, hieywiey said:

Are the engines on the second stage the new bonus part? What are they? I wish I could try this out, but my power’s out due to Barry and my generator can’t run my desktop‘s power supply. I still have my MacBook though, but it’s not very powerful and I don’t have KSP on it at the moment.

The engines are the RL-10A4, they've been in the game a while. Since I watched the stream I wont say.. but dont look at any of the engines :)

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Alright so... update from the stream: SOLTAN didn't get done, the new Transtage parts are up on Github, and LDC Titan got two new WIP engine mounts. Not bad, I think. There's a bonus extra new part hidden in these screenshots, if anyone can find it... :)

0sxP1jl.png

3 Segments SRMU? Finally longer, and fitting SRB for LDC. One of problem I usually have with LDC is the core stage with 4 engines have a little low TWR after SRB separation. This will be helpful. 

56 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

3 Segments SRMU? Finally longer, and fitting SRB for LDC. One of problem I usually have with LDC is the core stage with 4 engines have a little low TWR after SRB separation. This will be helpful. 

I read somewhere that with LDC, two of the four core engines were to be lit on the ground with the SRB’s. Shortly before booster separation, the other two core engines were to be lit. Sometime before core stage burnout, two of the core engines were to be shutdown.

3 hours ago, rcollier said:

I read somewhere that with LDC, two of the four core engines were to be lit on the ground with the SRB’s. Shortly before booster separation, the other two core engines were to be lit. Sometime before core stage burnout, two of the core engines were to be shutdown.

The details are on Space Launch Report, and summarized in my unofficial wiki here, but depending which version of LDC you're referring to (the concept was dusted off 3 times over the years), the engine staging was staggered as you mention (for the LDC MOL variants) or all 4 air started (3L2 / 3L4), or all lit at lift off (Barbarian / Zenith Star proposal).  In short, it depends on the payload and mission profile and there's more than one "correct" answer.  The whole rocket is pretty bonkers anyway, so wild experimentation is encouraged.

5 hours ago, Friznit said:

The details are on Space Launch Report, and summarized in my unofficial wiki here, but depending which version of LDC you're referring to (the concept was dusted off 3 times over the years), the engine staging was staggered as you mention (for the LDC MOL variants) or all 4 air started (3L2 / 3L4), or all lit at lift off (Barbarian / Zenith Star proposal).  In short, it depends on the payload and mission profile and there's more than one "correct" answer.  The whole rocket is pretty bonkers anyway, so wild experimentation is encouraged.

I would add that at KSP scale LDC is anything from the in game LDC at 3.125.... all the way up to about a 4.5m diameter and down to a 2.5m diameter... depending on proposal and more importantly THE YEAR!   It is like what others have said about Saturn variants, the M-1 engine and now LDC.   Who knows!  It wasn't built and the name was used multiple times so Cobalt decided what HE wanted it to be and made a great space rocket!

9 hours ago, Pulsar said:

I would add that the UA-1208 was in the previous two or three dev builds as well.   It appears that the UA-1208 and SMRU-3 are about the same length... but I haven't downloaded the latest dev yet.

Edited by Pappystein
diameter correction

The details are on Space Launch Report, and summarized in my unofficial wiki here, ~snip~

Is there a reason you are making you own wiki instead of adding to the official one? I really feel like the official wiki would be way better if you were contributing to it. Yours is awesome!

11 hours ago, Pulsar said:

Yup, 3-segment SRMU-XLs. Though, I don't think they'll have a longer burn time. The time it takes a segment to burn is more or less fixed - adding more segments increases thrust, not burn time :)

10 hours ago, rcollier said:

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

I would add that at KSP scale LDC is anything from the in game LDC at 3.125.... all the way up to about a 4.5m diameter and down to a 2.5m diameter... depending on proposal and more importantly THE YEAR!   It is like what others have said about Saturn variants, the M-1 engine and now LDC.   Who knows!  It wasn't built and the name was used multiple times so Cobalt decided what HE wanted it to be and made a great space rocket!

I would add that the UA-1208 was in the previous two or three dev builds as well.   It appears that the UA-1208 and SMRU-3 are about the same length... but I haven't downloaded the latest dev yet.

Yeah, so I think here is a good chance to share my thought process with the LDC Titan / Titan Barbarian / Titan IIIL parts... They are meant to do these things, in decreasing order of importance:

• Fill out the 3.125m size class and make it actually useful and fun to play with, giving players a lot more to experiment and play with in the Saturn 1B sort of payload size class. This is, first and foremost, why the LDC parts are 3.125m.
  • Bridge the art styles between the Titan and Saturn parts. While they are related to the Titan part set, the Saturn family is the one that is likely going to interact with LDC the most. I don't want the parts feeling out of place next to Saturn stuff.
  • Represent real-world designs - it shouldn't be surprising why this is so low down. There is basically NOTHING to work with for real world designs for these rockets. Apart from a handful of obscure drawings, that are themselves mostly just educated guesses, there really is nothing to use for reference or even inspiration.

So yeah, really, the LDC parts are meant to just be fun to play with. That's why I'm adding some weird and different engine mount options, to try and give you all fun and interesting stuff to play with. I'm looking to get back into the LDC parts to finish them as part of this update, so please feel free to give me feedback on them, check out this issue on Github to see what I'm planning on making for these parts, and let me know if there's anything I'm missing. :)

36 minutes ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Is there a reason you are making you own wiki instead of adding to the official one? I really feel like the official wiki would be way better if you were contributing to it. Yours is awesome!

I'm not entirely sure why they're separate. I don't know if the extra stuff would be useful for the official wiki but certainly the pages for the actual BDB stuff should be ported over I think :)

In the meantime, something to look at... This is why I'm redoing so much of the mod. So much looks like this. This is the difference 2 1/2 years makes.

KiNgeGK.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, so I think here is a good chance to share my thought process with the LDC Titan / Titan Barbarian / Titan IIIL parts... They are meant to do these things, in decreasing order of importance:

• Fill out the 3.125m size class and make it actually useful and fun to play with, giving players a lot more to experiment and play with in the Saturn 1B sort of payload size class. This is, first and foremost, why the LDC parts are 3.125m.
  •  

So yeah, really, the LDC parts are meant to just be fun to play with. That's why I'm adding some weird and different engine mount options, to try and give you all fun and interesting stuff to play with. I'm looking to get back into the LDC parts to finish them as part of this update, so please feel free to give me feedback on them, check out this issue on Github to see what I'm planning on making for these parts, and let me know if there's anything I'm missing. :)

In the meantime, something to look at... This is why I'm redoing so much of the mod. So much looks like this. This is the difference 2 1/2 years makes.

Interesting argument for LDC....also that J-2 on the left looks...decent. but the right one looks amazing!

While the wiki is on peoples minds I just want to point out something that they, and the ManualManuel before it, got wrong. The canonical way to build the "Augustus" Supply Vehicle includes a Leo parachute and heat shield. One of the big advantages "Augustus" offers over the Belle and and Rhea(MOS) ORVs is down mass. Also makes a nice escape pod for kerbals that get super board being stuck on a station too long!