[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@birdog357 yeah the tank masses in KSP are really high. Jso is a wizard of keeping things balanced.

I could swear we made an LH2 only option available for all tanks? Is that in the dev branch and unreleased?

I'm ok with the dry mass being high. That makes it Kerbal. It's the fact that Ox Is 4 times too dense that is weird.

There's an LH2/O, LF/O and Mono version but no LH2 version in the public branch. If there is an LH2 in the dev I'm gonna have to switch.

Edited by birdog357
added more info

Just goofing off with Procedural tanks, I can get an identical sized stage that masses about a third as much with 1000 m/s higher Dv at twice the ISP and half the thrust. This is simply replacing the tank part and keeping the thrust structure accessories and guidance.

39 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

I'm ok with the dry mass being high. That makes it Kerbal. It's the fact that Ox Is 4 times too dense that is weird.

There's an LH2/O, LF/O and Mono version but no LH2 version in the public branch. If there is an LH2 in the dev I'm gonna have to switch.

The LH2 only (as well as monoprop for regular tanks) was added a few months ago to the dev branch. 

31 minutes ago, Petrovich said:

How does one activate the SRM abort? I downloaded the dev version of BDB today and I can't find an option to activate it, in the action keys menu or in flight.

From the dev branch and not the master?

The toggle mode button/action on the SRBs activates it. Only the UA1205s have it right now.

20190810_124354.jpg

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@birdog357 yeah the tank masses in KSP are really high. Jso is a wizard of keeping things balanced.

I could swear we made an LH2 only option available for all tanks? Is that in the dev branch and unreleased?

I believe it is in the Dev branch but was not yet released....  Although I am not certain because my own fuel patch could be overwriting it (I had activated it in my own game before you guys went that step for just this reason.)

@birdog357 Good luck getting an Engine + Shroud to fit well.   It is my Big ticket on my wishlist if Cobalt ever opens up a Wishlist for a rebuilt Saturn.   A proper engine mount + Interstage to work with any of the various NERVA engine mods that Cobalt prefers...

Personally I am hoping it is Kommitz FTMN Nucleonics :)  OK I am kidding since those models are huge and derived not from the NERVA but anyway :)  But I do like both the origional and the revamped FTMN style of Nuke... not realistic at all in how they look but massive and gargantuan do not express how little thrust they do provide :)

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

20190810_124354.jpg

Err wait, are you thinking of Doing a Fatlas now?   COOL!!!!    A Metal 2.5 - 1.875m tank is one thing that has been missing in your art style....

16 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I could swear I saw someone make a really jice S-IVN upper stage using the Kerbal Atomics parts.

Would you have any interest making an official C-5N/Saturn VN? That would add some interesting capabilities.

Edited by hieywiey

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I could swear I saw someone make a really jice S-IVN upper stage using the Kerbal Atomics parts.

If in doubt, it was probably Zorg (it was Zorg) :P

Though like me he favours the Near Future Stubber in LOX Augmented mode.  It needs to be clipped up into the S-IVB engine mount to fit the interstage but it looks just fine.

1 hour ago, Friznit said:

If in doubt, it was probably Zorg (it was Zorg) :P

Though like me he favours the Near Future Stubber in LOX Augmented mode.  It needs to be clipped up into the S-IVB engine mount to fit the interstage but it looks just fine.

Someone mention me? :P

I tend to favour the Neptune more nowadays, also in LOX augmented if using with BDB saturn, or LH2 only if CryoTanks Constellation stuff. I use a procedural interstage or decoupler shroud to get a longer interstage or even stack two BDB ones together (SII-SIVB adapter+ SIVB straight adapter)

YUGUDJJh.png

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

Someone mention me? :P

I tend to favour the Neptune more nowadays, also in LOX augmented if using with BDB saturn, or LH2 only if CryoTanks Constellation stuff. I use a procedural interstage or decoupler shroud to get a longer interstage or even stack two BDB ones together (SII-SIVB adapter+ SIVB straight adapter)

And that alone is the reason I am glad Cobaltwolf uses 2 tanks to make up the S-IVC for the Multibody Saturn parts.    Leave the small tank as Hydrolox and the big tank for Hydrogen only.  Then your dual mode Nukes have a good Initial impulse with the Augmentation but when you need JUST efficient thrust you have plenty of LH2!  Choices choices choices   :)

Although admittedly I have not see as pretty of a S-IVC(N) fly Zorg!   Mine tend to be Ugly to Fugly....   Of-course if I stopped trying to use FTMN Nukes they might be better :)

4 hours ago, Pappystein said:

And that alone is the reason I am glad Cobaltwolf uses 2 tanks to make up the S-IVC for the Multibody Saturn parts.    Leave the small tank as Hydrolox and the big tank for Hydrogen only.  Then your dual mode Nukes have a good Initial impulse with the Augmentation but when you need JUST efficient thrust you have plenty of LH2!  Choices choices choices   :)

Although admittedly I have not see as pretty of a S-IVC(N) fly Zorg!   Mine tend to be Ugly to Fugly....   Of-course if I stopped trying to use FTMN Nukes they might be better :)

Oh I forgot to answer your earlier question. The abort mode on the UA1205 doesnt actually terminate the thrust (the abort is basically another engine mode and it currently has the same thrust value), I was too busy taking screenshots the first time around to notice :P I have let CobaltWolf know since testing again later though.

Correction, I think I messed up during the subsequent test. I tried again just now and the g loading drops off significantly. the thrust figure remaines the same on the read outs but its split between the bottom and top and effective thrust is indeed greatly reduced.

Edited by Zorg

Unrelated imagery, modeling out some of the last LDC parts...
I hopefully will have a lot of time this week to finish the SLV-3X (ie, hopefully I didn't disrupt the dev cycle too much more), and texture and finish all the new LDC parts.

AffewNd.png
CeK65CD.png
5qDSFE8.png
cxzzLOL.png

Trying to mess around with geosynchronous orbits in a 2.5 scale system on sandbox save and figured I’d recreate Syncom. From my understanding the Delta B should be a Fenris first stage, Viklun second stage, and then a scout third stage?

5 minutes ago, Spike88 said:

Trying to mess around with geosynchronous orbits in a 2.5 scale system on sandbox save and figured I’d recreate Syncom. From my understanding the Delta B should be a Fenris first stage, Viklun second stage, and then a scout third stage?

Pretty much, with the Altair / Aquilae doing the perigee burn and the Syncom's internal SRB doing the apogee burn. No promise that the performance of the stages scales perfect, those parts are pretty old and not up to the current standards.

34 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Unrelated imagery, modeling out some of the last LDC parts...
I hopefully will have a lot of time this week to finish the SLV-3X (ie, hopefully I didn't disrupt the dev cycle too much more), and texture and finish all the new LDC parts.

AffewNd.png
CeK65CD.png
5qDSFE8.png
cxzzLOL.png

I like where this is going! Any chance of a Saturn S-1D thrust plate in the future? Perhaps a 5.625m Avionics Unit?

4 minutes ago, rcollier said:

I like where this is going! Any chance of a Saturn S-1D thrust plate in the future? Perhaps a 5.625m Avionics Unit?

Holding off on making new Saturn parts because I'd like to remake them all from scratch someday, similar to the treatment the Titan parts are currently getting. But when I get there, there will absolutely be an S-1D and more avionics units.

@CobaltWolf Since you're fiddling with Atlas, any chance of experimenting with a smooth, reflective skin? Not in line with, but even if it's optional, I'd love to see a reflective Atlas balloon tank.

Nice work on the skirt, BTW. Are you going to put retromotors in the engine fairings, like with Saturn V? It seems like a good place for them. None of the proposals ever got so far as to specify where those rockets would go, but it stands to reason they'd be there.