[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Also, I must say - it's not me you have to thank for this! @blowfish did a wonderful job modeling this part for me! I just had to texture it. :)EDIT: Commercial Titan 3 upper stage texture... I think a first stage variant needs to get done as well.

Ah yes ... texturing ... the easy part :mellow:

Seriously though, you've really made that model come to life with the textures.

23 hours ago, Noah_Blade said:

Oi, Its been quite some time... Maybe I should re-download all my mods, now that i have some free time.

Nice to see BDB is still being developed.

Yep, not going anywhere any time soon. :)

1 hour ago, Mudwig said:

I cant wait to see the decoupler(s). It'll tell us so much.

Will it have a unique fairing base like the various Titans and Centaurs do?

So, sorry, but I'm not sure I follow - what do you mean by decouplers and fairing bases? (Just so I answer correctly)

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

So, sorry, but I'm not sure I follow - what do you mean by decouplers and fairing bases? (Just so I answer correctly)

By 'decoupers' I mean interstages ( like the Delta-K, S-IV/S-IVB, S-II and Centaur have ). They may not be the same as normal decouplers, but functionally, that's what they are.

By 'fairing bases', I mean... fairing bases... ( to put atop the stage and build a fairing from ) is there something else that they're called?

8 minutes ago, Mudwig said:

By 'decoupers' I mean interstages ( like the Delta-K, S-IV/S-IVB, S-II and Centaur have ). They may not be the same as normal decouplers, but functionally, that's what they are.

By 'fairing bases', I mean... fairing bases... ( to put atop the stage and build a fairing from ) is there something else that they're called?

3 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

It's a good question, actually. Is that thing going to have a dedicated interstage, or just a switchable autoshroud with a node far below it? 

Alright. I just asked because I'm definitely guilty of at times using fairing, autoshroud, and interstage interchangeably.

So... yeah I don't know? I think BDB definitely needs a generic 2.5m fairing base and decoupler. The problem being that... fairing bases and decouplers are actually really hard to make? It's difficult to make them feel unique / special. I'm not sure what I would do for them. I think I probably need to try though.

Anyways, I'm not looking to go too overboard with this, but I do want to have some different mounting options... Here's the "canon" 2.5m straight interstage...

P3fzb0q.png

I'd also like to do one that ends in a 1.875m adapter so it can be used with Titan and even Atlas...

arciFZk.png

And then a 3.125m adapter interstage for mating to LDC.

RDNMHUo.png

I think the potential that DCSS has for an LDC third stage is pretty great...

H2cjBll.png

24 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Alright. I just asked because I'm definitely guilty of at times using fairing, autoshroud, and interstage interchangeably.

So... yeah I don't know? I think BDB definitely needs a generic 2.5m fairing base and decoupler. The problem being that... fairing bases and decouplers are actually really hard to make? It's difficult to make them feel unique / special. I'm not sure what I would do for them. I think I probably need to try though.

Anyways, I'm not looking to go too overboard with this, but I do want to have some different mounting options... Here's the "canon" 2.5m straight interstage...

P3fzb0q.png

I'd also like to do one that ends in a 1.875m adapter so it can be used with Titan and even Atlas...

arciFZk.png

RDNMHUo.png

H2cjBll.png

Frankly, multiple sizes of hollow interstage adapters could have plenty of uses beyond just mounting the DCSS, especially with mating some of the awkwardly shaped station parts to launch vehicles ( looking at you, Gemini Ferry and Big-G SM ).

@CobaltWolf, could the 3.125m adapter be more of a Delta IV-style cone? The Atlas style isn't bad, either, but it just seems proper in this case, and Delta IV scales to 3.125m as well. :) 

IMO, a fairing base shouldn't get in the way. It especially shouldn't have warning stripes. I believe you actually have a nice one for Sarnus, though it is old-ish and does have stripes. What you can do is try to put some sort of a nifty payload support structure inside, or perhaps a mount interface for a dedicated payload decoupler. In fact, I think that BDB could use a whole set of "generic" conical payload adapters/decouplers, for a nice-looking connection and a mounting point for Star-48 and the like.

Edited by Guest

26 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

It's difficult to make them feel unique / special.

I personally dont think standard fairing bases need to be all that stand out. The boat tail type fairings benefit from a bit of flair but standard flat fairings just need to look ok. I think every fairing base you added from the previous update onwards has been very nice and a notable improvement over the old bases.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

RDNMHUo.png

Ohhh!   SO Agree with the potential. 

I didn't want to comment on the part originally because I know you "love" for Delta IV Cobalt,  That being Said I like the texture and Blowfish did an amazing job  with the actual part.    The best part of the texture is the fact that on one side is Stringers and on the other side is a Waffle pattern (top support ring above the LH2 tank.)   And the orange insulation foam literally looks like someone sprayed a 5% overlap (just like real life)   I can see a lot of uses for this.  The Biggest being JUST to make Delta II/III parts relevant longer in my play-through but as an LDC 3rd stage....  Potential!    It is too bad there isn't a way to alter boiloff rates by tank in the BDB boiloff plugin (or if there is that they are not being used!)

First off I want to say YES I can come off sounding like a Fanboy but I don't care.   @CobaltWolf  I absolutely  love what is going on with BDB at the moment.      Delta III.   The LAST of the Deltas is flying completely out of BDB parts now.

Thanks to @blowfish for making the part, and B9PartSwitch, and the advanced Tweak-able features there within!  Thanks to you for the texturing and quick inter-stage work.   I am blown away.  Now Delta will last a LOT LONGER as my preferred LKO Satellite launcher.

Cobalt, I do have a question, you are talking about re-making and accuratazing much of the early rockets from BDB.  Is there a plan or thought given to Diamante?  While it is not my favorite Rocket and it is not a US Rocket.... I find myself using parts from it more and more lately as I start my new career.   Admittedly this might just be due to node placement in the Tech tree ...

8 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Cobalt, I do have a question, you are talking about re-making and accuratazing much of the early rockets from BDB.  Is there a plan or thought given to Diamante?  While it is not my favorite Rocket and it is not a US Rocket.... I find myself using parts from it more and more lately as I start my new career.   Admittedly this might just be due to node placement in the Tech tree ...

Diamant is getting deprecated this release. @Well has given it, and the massive library of 1960s French domestic rocket proposals, a proper amount of love in his KNES mod. :) Also, I'd say there's probably going to be a decent amount of early game expansion to fill the gap and then some :)

GVgula2.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

48 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

...Delta III.   The LAST of the Deltas is flying completely out of BDB parts now...

I've never understood this point of view. The Delta family being defined by having a Thor derived first stage makes no sense when the name 'Delta' came from the upper stage. Delta IV has an upper stage derived form Delta III, which has a first stage derived from Delta II and so-on and so-on.  If anything, based on this thought process, the Delta 7000 series was the last one, not Delta III. Even Delta IV was originally planned to be available with the Delta-K, although nobody had any use for it apparently.

Last of the Thors? Sure. Last of the Deltas? Not really.

47 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Diamant is getting deprecated this release. @Well has given it, and the massive library of 1960s French domestic rocket proposals, a proper amount of love in his KNES mod. :) Also, I'd say there's probably going to be a decent amount of early game expansion to fill the gap and then some :)

Seems reasonable. I've been deleting that folder for probably more than a year now whenever I reinstall BDB.

Actually, the Last of the Deltas was Delta II 7000. Delta IV was planned with the Delta-K upper stage, but nothing came of it. Originally, Delta referred to the upper stage only, as in "Thor-Delta". 

So... New colors, new interstage variant with no holes and I'm guessing that's just a rescaled 2.5m DCSS and not a different 3.125m one, yes?

I like them all, but I think I actually like the Atlas V-ish one the best.

I tried the initial version of the DCSS from the Dev branch last night and it looks fantastic, but definitely needs some balancing. I tried it on Delta III and compared it with a Delta II 7920H lofting the same ~3t payload and the Delta II performed much better. It was far too heavy and had no monopropellant, necessitating additional mass. I'm guessing it just hadn't really been balanced at all yet, but I just thought I'd make note of it anyway.

Would it be possible to separate the equipment shelf/engine mount into a different part to act as a control unit? It would remove the need to add a probe core for de-orbiting the stage.

37 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

WHERE ARE ALL THESE COMING FROM

Yay Titan LDC is getting more texture love! :P

Love the Brown/Grey pattern.  

36 minutes ago, DriftedCougar said:

Will there be an GLV style paint job?

Err... you mean the original LDC texture?  

36 minutes ago, DriftedCougar said:

W-Wait hold on, is that an 3.125M DCSS!?

ERr... Are you sure the rocket part's aren't scaled down to 2.5m?    I Kid because you could do EITHER and it would look good.

17 hours ago, Mudwig said:

I've never understood this point of view. The Delta family being defined by having a Thor derived first stage makes no sense when the name 'Delta' came from the upper stage. Delta IV has an upper stage derived form Delta III, which has a first stage derived from Delta II and so-on and so-on.  If anything, based on this thought process, the Delta 7000 series was the last one, not Delta III. Even Delta IV was originally planned to be available with the Delta-K, although nobody had any use for it apparently.

Last of the Thors? Sure. Last of the Deltas? Not really.

Seems reasonable. I've been deleting that folder for probably more than a year now whenever I reinstall BDB.

Mudwig, I don't disagree with you in anything.   The problem here is that NASA developed the DELTA upper stage and ordered the entire rocket as Delta.  As far as NASA is concerned the last THOR Delta was Thor Delta M.    By every document I have on Delta (which is FEW because up until a few years ago it was my least favorite family, as soon as we get into ELT/EELT/EXELT Thor, NASA just ordered the all up rocket as Delta I or Delta II or Delta III.     The USAF ordered what would be called Delta IV but the name USAF ordered it under was EELV and NOT Delta IV.   The name Delta IV was to hide the rocket's true lineage because, as Cobalt has pointed out previously I believe, if you want to be true to lineage the Delta IV should be TITAN V!

Titan is still my #1 family followed closely by SATURN-II INT-18 (no booing or hissing please!  I can like my choices and you can like yours!)

And lastly.   If you want to get REAL critical.  The Delta was an Able with a new GCU and a different variant of the AJ10...   Then it was an AbleStar with a new GCU....and a similar variant of AJ10 as the Able derived Delta...    So why didn't we call it Able or Ablestar?

Edited by Pappystein