[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

14 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Guess how many segments are in that SRB?

1x 260" Short SRM?

And I was just replying to an earlier post about your bespoke models of awesomeness!

Err sorry I see now that is the FULL Length AJ-260!

*Edited*  One Segment to rule them all.  One segment to be safe and fly us to the Mun!

Edited by Pappystein

3 hours ago, awsumindyman said:

@CobaltWolf, I remember you said something about adding SOFI to the S-II, SIV-B, and SIV- C extension tanks for deep space missions, for example Ares from Voyage. You should definitely look into that.

Also, are boil-off rates effected by the temperature of the tank? Or are they fixed?

While Cobaltwolf has his bespoke models of awesomeness.  And since my original reply to this was consigned to the dump bin given the a-for mentioned Bespoke Models of Awesomeness.   IRL there was a major planned update to either the S-II or S-IVB stage visa-v insulation and structural "enhancements"  IE optimizing the thrust structure to put up with realistic masses rather than hypothetical ones that never became real.    I want to say it was the S-II stage and changing its insulation (PRE SOFI mind you) the gain was 20% thermal efficiency (lower boil off) and 5% increased propellant load due to increase open volume and a 10% loss in empty mass...  All without sacrificing the ability to stretch into the MLV-S-II stage.   Like I said this is from memory as I don't have my data sources near me (except for Astronautica and THEY get confused between Saturn-II and stage S-II... so how can I trust them implicitly! :)   And this is all possible because the S-II stage is the oldest stage/structure designed for the Saturn-V (it was scaled up from the Saturn-C4 design or post 1961 Saturn-C3 design.

5 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

Name for AJ260 should either be Tavish or Bison, so we can either "prance about with your heads full of eyeballs!" or "Beware my psycho powah!"

tfw get this reference

tfw if there's ever a nova sat-v in bdb it should be called the direct hit or one of the other rocket launchers

Edited by Saltshaker

8 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

tfw get this reference

tfw if there's ever a nova sat-v in bdb it should be called the direct hit or one of the other rocket launchers

"I'm gonna stick me thumbs in your eyes and hang on till you're DEAD!"

On 1/17/2018 at 1:47 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Hrmm, I'm not sure there's much I can do about that. It's worth noting that hitting the skirts was a big worry IRL. That's why you have the famous staging sequence between the S-IC and the S-II - the skirt isn't dropped until the S-II is stabilized and has sufficient TWR to pull away from the skirt sufficiently fast that they felt it safe and the skirt wouldn't float and hit the engines. Of course, if we were worried about that, I'd prefer incorrect / sloppy / unsafe staging to result in a RUD rather than something that looks glitchy...

I shall let gravity turn mess with it then. :cool:

8 minutes ago, Kerbal01 said:

@CobaltWolf what design/concept are the 1.5m SOLTAN SRB's from? interested in reading more about those.

They are the original design for the Titan boosters. Back when X-20 was sort of the impetus for upgrading Titan, they originally looked at smaller SRBs named SOLTAN (SOLid tiTAN) boosters. The smaller size meant that they acted more as ridiculous thrust augmentation boosters (ie, insufficient TWR to lift the whole stack), which would have required somewhat significant redesign of the Titan in order to properly fly. Eventually they realized that they could simply scale up the boosters more and have them loft an entire, relatively unmodified Titan II as a core, and thus Titan III was born. In BDB, they were fairly easy to make (basically took the SRMs and the USRM and said "now kith!") and I like to think they serve some sort of a niche... I'd like to see someone use the inline one to make a J-I looking launcher for satellites.

EDIT: In other news, just to keep people in the loop - current plan is to try and get the AJ-260 done ASAP and include it in the upcoming hotfix as an extra present.

Edited by CobaltWolf

4 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

If it's the Gencorp Aerojet 260-inch motor... It was cast in a single continuous pour. One of the ballsiest SRM designs in history.

Yep, and it's not only one of the ballsiest, it's actually the most ballsiest SRM ever fired.

1 hour ago, Hay said:

Yep, and it's not only one of the ballsiest, it's actually the most ballsiest SRM ever fired.

Did it qualify for 'Oh look, the sun's coming up.' levels of brightness? Or was it more 'MY EYES! The goggles they do NOTHING!'

1 hour ago, Sudragon said:

Did it qualify for 'Oh look, the sun's coming up.' levels of brightness? Or was it more 'MY EYES! The goggles they do NOTHING!'

Its flame was clearly visible from Miami 50km away according to Astronautix

Just now, Hay said:

Its flame was clearly visible from Miami 50km away according to Astronautix

Now I'm imagining someone like Adam Savage standing half a mile away, in the heatsuit toasting marsmallows on a looooo-ooong stick.

Greetings! 

First off, thank you for such a great mod!

I was wondering what options are out there for a CM or LEM cockpit/IVA?

I would really like to fly missions from inside and not an exterior view. 

Thanks for for the Help!

Kurt

Edited by Kdc86

3 hours ago, Kdc86 said:

Greetings! 

First off, thank you for such a great mod!

I was wondering what options are out there for a CM or LEM cockpit/IVA?

I would really like to fly missions from inside and not an exterior view.

Thanks for for the Help!

Kurt

Kurt, scroll up a bit and you'll see previews of the new LEM IVA that @bcink is very kindly working on. He hasn't said anything about working on the Apollo CM IVA, but I bet if enough people asked nicely enough, or even PM'd him asking where they could send donations, we might get one yet. :):wink:

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Kurt, scroll up a bit and you'll see previews of the new LEM IVA that @bcink is very kindly working on. He hasn't said anything about working on the Apollo CM IVA, but I bet if enough people asked nicely enough, or even PM'd him asking where they could send donations, we might get one yet. :):wink:

This is absolutely the best news ever! Thank you for the info. The Apollo program has had a special place in my heart ever since I was a kid. I fly jets now in the real world. That is as close to space as I am getting. I wish there was a legit Apollo sim out there. For now KSP is good enough.