[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

So, I started making yesterday RO configs for BDB to get back in "shape" before I get to remaking Tantares ones and I began with booster engines and upper stages: I don't really want to clutter an already huge part list, so I'm not making fuel tanks, at least at the moment, but after I finish engines I will keep on with aero parts and capsules. Here is a small sneak peek at what I'm working on, the only launchers left (from current spacedock release) are Vanguard, Atlas and Redstone:

Spoiler

Thor

f2rNzpKU2Ek.jpg

Agena

gfOYiPxvsVs.jpg

Diamant

E0HNpTisrGs.jpg

2 hours ago, Niemand303 said:

So, I started making yesterday RO configs for BDB to get back in "shape" before I get to remaking Tantares ones and I began with booster engines and upper stages: I don't really want to clutter an already huge part list, so I'm not making fuel tanks, at least at the moment, but after I finish engines I will keep on with aero parts and capsules. Here is a small sneak peek at what I'm working on, the only launchers left (from current spacedock release) are Vanguard, Atlas and Redstone:

That is AWESOME man, great to hear! Though I would love to see the tanks in, I understand that it's sort of a moot point in RO. :)

Also, I wanted to stream tonight, but apparently my regular senior project meetings have been moved to Monday nights. They were formerly on Tuesday nights, so I'll see if I can stream tomorrow.

Edited by CobaltWolf

T-TR-TRIPLE POST!!!

Saturn 1 is pretty much DONE. The retro motors and normal maps were added today. Diamant, Juno, and Atlas 1 also received updates. We're steaming full ahead to the next release SOONTM. Still a lot of work to go, but the update will have a ton of new stuff, as well as a lot more polish for all the parts, compared to previous ones.

5lUHlNQ.png

@CobaltWolfDid you already update the master on Git?  Just want to make sure I stay on top of the parts before release so that the CTT patch stays current.  Also, I've got the rebalanced AR patch completed with the A27-C Dish added and I'm working on testing all my tweaks.  Will get the PR done on that probably tomorrow but if the Saturn 1 stuff has already been added I'll update the CTT patch and just issue a single one for both.

EDIT:  I really need to figure out this synced fork thing for Git so I can answer these questions myself :blush:

Edited by rasta013

9 hours ago, rasta013 said:

@CobaltWolfDid you already update the master on Git?  Just want to make sure I stay on top of the parts before release so that the CTT patch stays current.  Also, I've got the rebalanced AR patch completed with the A27-C Dish added and I'm working on testing all my tweaks.  Will get the PR done on that probably tomorrow but if the Saturn 1 stuff has already been added I'll update the CTT patch and just issue a single one for both.

EDIT:  I really need to figure out this synced fork thing for Git so I can answer these questions myself :blush:

The master is updated. I'm aiming for release within the next week. I don't think anything else new is being added besides the mariner 4 dish, which still needs a description.

12 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The master is updated. I'm aiming for release within the next week. I don't think anything else new is being added besides the mariner 4 dish, which still needs a description.

Ok cool.  I'll double check them all and get both patches current and updated in the morning.  I'll also look at the description for the dish and throw something into it.  If I get lucky I might even have time to add some more science definitions as well... :D 

15 hours ago, Slightlylyons said:

I'm having some trouble with the science experiments from this mod, the Magnetometer works, and I know it uses D-Magic's Magnetometer code because I have that installed, but the other experiments run but I don't get credit for the data. Output_Log

it uses a variation of DMagic's code that he released for other mods to use. I'd try a fresh manual install of BDB 0.10.5 to make sure, otherwise we can look into it more.

In other news, following @Jack Wolfe's screenshots, I secured permission from the FASA team to use the Gemini IVA as a placeholder. It is a bit big but its better than nothing. The Hermes pod received a heatshield-ectomy, and @Beale is assisting in doing the same for the Leo. This means heat shields will be separate parts again, for a number of reasons. This wont break saves, but will possibly result in some toasty reentry for your kerbals! Be warned.

As we near release, I ask that anyone who is willing download the latest dev release, and give it a try. Looking for feedback, mainly on balance for the new parts, and compatibility. Nearly every part from the last two updates lacks Tweakscale compatibility, and I don't know what other mods configs need to be made for. So some information on that front would be awesome! My goal right now is to have the release finalized and distributed Monday night. Pretty screenshots would also be nice. :)

Edited by CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Looking for feedback, mainly on balance for the new parts

Balance 
- MOS-PCS Pressurized Cargo Segment : Volume needs to go down or the tech node needs to go up.  8000 liters is 2000 liters greater than the KIS container #2 @ 6000 liters which arrives at the Specialized Construction node 1 level up.  Also would suggest a KIS compatibility patch to remove this part if it isn't installed since it does no good without it.  I can pull that together quickly if you'd like.

- MOS-UCS Unpressurized Cargo Segment : This is currently set to the Survivability node, the same location as the 1.25m service bay.  I'd suggest moving this to General Construction since it is a 1.875 form factor and gives a great deal more room.  @15 points that's a gigantic leap in capability for that little in science cost.

- Sarnus-SI-SRM Retro Motor : I LOVE THIS PART!!!  That said, the thrust is awfully high for a separation motor.  I have now used this twice in 4x symmetry to land heavy re-entry vehicles on a suicide burn.  It's a beautiful thing and I love it really but if this is not the intended use you want out of this part then I think reducing the thrust to 15-18kN will be more than sufficient.  The Sarnus tank really is not all that heavy and frankly the thrust of the PDC-R @18kn has proven more than sufficient to handle the job.  This is not a call to remove the part though.  Please don't.  It's a wonderful addition. :D

Compatibility

The AR and CTT patches are now completed, rebalanced and up to date.  

I'm also looking at the camera parts to try and get adjustments made in re: to Issue #88 as well as getting science definitions written for at least the biomes on the near-by bodies.  I probably won't have all the biome definitions done before the weekend is over but I should have at least Kerbin, Mun and Minmus done as well as basic definitions for high/low/landed situations for all other stock bodies and maybe even OPM.

If I can get the cameras updated and the definitions completed to my satisfaction before the weekend is out I will also be looking at the definitions for the Hydrometer and Ion Trap as well.

I'm probably going to wait to issue the PR until Sunday in order to get as much of this done before I do so it can all be merged at the same time.

Titan II, as was used. It would be the Prometheus II first stage engine, correct? I'm a stickler for such things. Aside from a few upgrades to the spacecraft, my only stack modification was the addition of three retro thrusters on the second stage.

EDIT: Verified. Prometheus II first stage engine, analogous to the Titan II LR-87-AJ-7. Otherwise, you couldn't get me near that thing. [/gratuitous Jose Jimenez joke]

After eight successful launches, I'd better have it right.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

1 hour ago, Jack Wolfe said:

Titan II, as was used. It would be the Prometheus II first stage engine, correct? I'm a stickler for such things. Aside from a few upgrades to the spacecraft, my only stack modification was the addition of three retro thrusters on the second stage.

EDIT: Verified. Prometheus II first stage engine, analogous to the Titan II LR-87-AJ-7. Otherwise, you couldn't get me near that thing. [/gratuitous Jose Jimenez joke]

After eight successful launches, I'd better have it right.

Nope :P You only have one of the second stage tanks, and you have an entire Prometheus-I first stage. There are two Prometheus-II second stage tanks (Silver one goes on top of the black+white one), you have the single Prometheus-I tank. That engine is a Prometheus-I engine, I can tell by the fairing on it.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Nope :P You only have one of the second stage tanks, and you have an entire Prometheus-I first stage. There are two Prometheus-II second stage tanks (Silver one goes on top of the black+white one), you have the single Prometheus-I tank. That engine is a Prometheus-I engine, I can tell by the fairing on it.

Interesting. I thought I was grabbing the right stuff. My mistake. And it can boost a Gemini capsule to 250km? That's neat. I'll go back and rethink my whole programme.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

Just now, Jack Wolfe said:

Interesting. And it can boost a Gemini capsule to 250km? That's neat. I'll go back and rethink my whole programme.

#JustKSPThings. Can't get realistic payloads to orbit, and maintain stock balance in terms of TWR, etc. Use a 2x, 3x or even 4x rescale to make things work a bit better.

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

#JustKSPThings. Can't get realistic payloads to orbit, and maintain stock balance in terms of TWR, etc. Use a 2x, 3x or even 4x rescale to make things work a bit better.

Yeah, no. FASA managed it well enough. I beat that mod to death. But FASA has gone by the boards. I'll muddle through with what works for me until something else comes along if that's the case. What baffles me is the Atlas D works as I'd expect, right down the line, but the Titans apparently don't. Oh well.

35 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

Yeah, no. FASA managed it well enough. I beat that mod to death. But FASA has gone by the boards. I'll muddle through with what works for me until something else comes along if that's the case. What baffles me is the Atlas D works as I'd expect, right down the line, but the Titans apparently don't. Oh well.

Yes, and many of the FASA parts are worse in terms of stats than many stock parts of similar size. Heavier tanks, etc.