[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 10/20/2018 at 7:05 PM, Jso said:

Nice. With the asymmetric boosters it's a little easier to keep straight if you rotate the CCB tank so the side with the most boosters is on top when in flight.

Huh, i’ve actually always flown it the other way lol. Ie 3 down for 5. Tends to slow the gravity turn a little but not much, very stable that way

13 hours ago, Jso said:

Yup, that was dealt with awhile ago.

Alright @Natokerbal it sounds like you can go to the BDB Github's homepage, click the green download button, and download the ZIP of the current repository. Then you can replace the Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/RealPlumes/BDB_Apollo_LES.cfg file in your install with the updated one. Don't copy the entire RealPlume folder. Should fix things! :)

13 hours ago, dbandy13 said:

Huh, i’ve actually always flown it the other way lol. Ie 3 down for 5. Tends to slow the gravity turn a little but not much, very stable that way

Interesting, in real life they do it the other way I think, so the asymmetric thrust helps pitch the booster over and they just use the RD-180's gimballing to control the pitch rate.

Oh, a slightly unfortunate topic of discussion - I remembered more stuff that has to be finished for the update.

Does anyone have feelings on the design of the small radial decoupler and the Perfectron/Retrotron/Lateraltron separation SRBs? They lived on old texture sheets that have since been replaced. I like the model for the small radial decoupler, will probably redo the little motors but they are simple.

Also, if anyone has designs for a medium (0.9375m to 1.5m) radial decoupler and a large (for thing like Saturn Multibody) radial decoupler, please let me know (heck, post drawings if you like!). Those have been on my list for a while and if I can just make them share a texture sheet that'd be great. I'm trying to move to having things like that live in a sort of 'Generic' folder so they are prune-resistant / not tied into random part families; if I ever get around to doing the Thor/Redstone/Vanguard (those all share texture sheets) I would similarly move the decouplers, fairing bases, etc to a generic format. The only reason I have to redo the small radial decoupler at all is it lived on the old Scout texture sheet... anyways, I don't want these decouplers to be size locked the same way the Titan decoupler is.

14 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

snipped

I use them a lot, but really a lot (almost all my builds have a retrotron), the only thing I want is the possibility to change their color, so if they have a dedicated texture sheet (only for separation solids) I can do it myself and then share. What do you say?

1 minute ago, Drakenex said:

I use them a lot, but really a lot (almost all my builds have a retrotron), the only thing I want is the possibility to change their color, so if they have a dedicated texture sheet (only for separation solids) I can do it myself and then share. What do you say?

Yes, the separation solids would have their own small texture sheet.

13 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yes, the separation solids would have their own small texture sheet.

Great, thanks!

For Titan, a ring decoupler with extensions attaching it to the core will be neat:

MKa2mOd.jpg

Let me see if I can get any diagrams.

Edited by Drakenex

23 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

For Titan, a ring decoupler with extensions attaching it to the core will be neat:

MKa2mOd.jpg

Let me see if I can get any diagrams.

I've always just used stock struts for those... there isn't a very good way to represent those, at least right now the decouplers can handle a variety of lengths of parts attached. If I were to do that the 2-segment or whatever the really short ones are wouldn't be able to use the decouplers for example.

On some level it's the recurring issue we've always run into where real life rockets don't have as cleanly delineated parts as KSP needs. Most SRBs are basically just held on by pegs IRL, for instance.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Maybe if you made the Titan SRBs have toggleable struts like the straight/angled nosecones are for some of the boosters? It really isn't that big of a deal to use the stock struts, but it could be nice to have.

32 minutes ago, Jall said:

Maybe if you made the Titan SRBs have toggleable struts like the straight/angled nosecones are for some of the boosters? It really isn't that big of a deal to use the stock struts, but it could be nice to have.

Possible. I have vague plans to redo all the Titan stuff, they're a mess right now. So if I redo them I'll think about adding that. I think I've said it before but I regret trying to clean up all my old models last year as opposed to creating new ones like I have been. The old parts were made with a minimal level of research and have a ton of inaccuracies, in additional generally being lower quality...

28 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

~snip~

Also, if anyone has designs for a medium (0.9375m to 1.5m) radial decoupler and a large (for thing like Saturn Multibody) radial decoupler, please let me know (heck, post drawings if you like!)

~snip~

I really like the look of the BD-WBR Mini Radial Decoupler. Maybe a cross between that and the stock Hydraulic Detachment Manifold would look cool. Stretch the BD-WBR to maybe 1.25-1.5x the height of the HDM and then double it up and add connecting structure like the HDM. Same width or maybe slightly wider than HDM. Put all that together and I think that would work really well for some thing Saturn Multi-Body size. I gota run but I have more ideas on this for you later! ;)

26 minutes ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I really like the look of the BD-WBR Mini Radial Decoupler. Maybe a cross between that and the stock Hydraulic Detachment Manifold would look cool. Stretch the BD-WBR to maybe 1.25-1.5x the height of the HDM and then double it up and add connecting structure like the HDM. Same width or maybe slightly wider than HDM. Put all that together and I think that would work really well for some thing Saturn Multi-Body size. I gota run but I have more ideas on this for you later! ;)

I was hoping I could come up with two more distinct designs, both because that sounds cooler and because that will help make them easier to tell apart in the parts list.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Alright @Natokerbal it sounds like you can go to the BDB Github's homepage, click the green download button, and download the ZIP of the current repository. Then you can replace the Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/RealPlumes/BDB_Apollo_LES.cfg file in your install with the updated one. Don't copy the entire RealPlume folder. Should fix things! :)

Ok thanks a lot!

Big decouplers would be greatly appreciated, I always feel like that's one of those niches that stock decouplers have never been able to adequately feel for me. As for the separation solids, I use them semi-frequently, but they are rarely visible on boosters so I've never really given thought to how they look :P

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh, a slightly unfortunate topic of discussion - I remembered more stuff that has to be finished for the update.

1. ...on the design of the small radial decoupler and the Perfectron/Retrotron/Lateraltron separation SRBs?

2. ...and a large (for thing like Saturn Multibody) radial decoupler...
[snip snip snip]

1. I suggest changing the models into to be more 'angular,' demonstrated in https://i.imgur.com/NgCTIEP.png and with more 'current' texturing (the shades of white on the Peacekeeper solids).

2. Maybe add larger decouplers in the style of the current small generic one, but lengthen them and add more "pads" on the rail, seen in https://i.imgur.com/N4q9XPg.png.

13 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

1. I suggest changing the models into to be more 'angular,' demonstrated in https://i.imgur.com/NgCTIEP.png and with more 'current' texturing (the shades of white on the Peacekeeper solids).

2. Maybe add larger decouplers in the style of the current small generic one, but lengthen them and add more "pads" on the rail, seen in https://i.imgur.com/N4q9XPg.png.

1) Maybe. They're definitely going to be better shaped than they were. No matter what they have to be remade from scratch.

2) Hmm, I want them to be a little more unique to each other.

11 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

is there a atlas 5 5m fairing boattail ready yet, for 1.4? I'm really putting my foot down on advancing versions.

SoonTM. I still don't have a solution for the interstage that I'm happy with but I might just suck it up and finish the boattail anyways.

11 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

Also, on the subject of separation solids, I believe the integrated-decoupler-motor nose cones need a texture pass...badly, if i'll be honest.

Yes, they do. I'm planning on redoing the Titan solids entirely... and the rest of the Titan stuff... eventually. Speaking out loud a little bit (as I am want to do on these thread posts) I feel a little bad for spending so much time on launch vehicles and not as much on payloads, even though theoretically payloads are what you spend more time with...

11 hours ago, Drakenex said:

Titan+Federation+Delta II :o

2 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I feel like this isn't receiving enough... Hype....

Yup, and pretty much already possible in BDB!

@CobaltWolf

Great mod!, i love using it in all my builds!, but i have been encountering a slight bug with your boosters recently, whenever i use your 1.875m boosters, even without starting the boosters or igniting them, they cause a rocket plume effect that makes them look like they are running, (no i don't have realplume installed), while they cause no thrust, it looks extremely weird and annoying that they are running while i haven't ignited them, they even keep running whenever the solid rocket fuel is done after igniting them and i am confused to whether they are done or not and if i should separate them, would you like to investigate this?

Pictures

https://imgur.com/a/PGSKmZo

my installed mods and gamedata folder

https://imgur.com/a/mNhjxKa

I am currently running KSP 1.4.5 with the making history DLC.

Edited by KSPFanatic102

3 minutes ago, KSPFanatic102 said:

Great mod!, i love using it in all my builds!, but i have been encountering a slight bug with your boosters recently, whenever i use your 1.875m boosters, even without starting the boosters or igniting them, they cause a rocket plume effect that makes them look like they are running, (no i don't have realplume installed), while they cause no thrust, it looks extremely weird and annoying that they are running while i haven't ignited them, would you like to investigate this?

The good news is this is a known bug! :) The RealPlume configs are still activating since you still have a 'SmokeScreen' folder in your install. Its easy enough to fix - go to Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility and delete the RealPlume folder so they stop activating.

EDIT: Also, I appreciate the picture of your Gamedata - it is super useful for diagnosing issues like this, and saved me having to ask for one! :)

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

The good news is this is a known bug! :) The RealPlume configs are still activating since you still have a 'SmokeScreen' folder in your install. Its easy enough to fix - go to Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility and delete the RealPlume folder so they stop activating.

EDIT: Also, I appreciate the picture of your Gamedata - it is super useful for diagnosing issues like this, and saved me having to ask for one! :)

Wow, thanks for your super fast response, i will go ahead and try that to see what happens.