[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

So, something I've been thinking about...

I'd like to be able to have a single-vernier version of the LR-91-AJ3, and four-vernier versions of the LR-91-AJ5 and AJ11. and, with the features that are in B9 now that weren't when we started this update, it's now possible to combine stat switching, stat switching, and eventually plume switching in the same part. What isn't easy to B9 switch is the layout of parts. What I'm proposing, is a single part for all the double-nozzle LR-87s, a single part for all the single-nozzle LR--87s (excluding the LH2s), a single part for all the single-vernier LR-91s, a single part for all the four-vernier LR-91s. That gives a lot of lego'ing potential that we otherwise might have missed out on.

As a visual aid...

So, all these would be one part: LR-87-AJ3, AJ5, AJ11, AJ11-Vac.
If plume switching starts working in B9, then we can also have kerolox versions of the AJ5 and AJ11 - slightly less thrust, slightly more ISP, mostly for my non-hypergol headcanon :)
All that's required is a simple mesh switch of the nozzle to accompany the stat switches.

o3R4VIR.png

Similarly, you could have Titan 1 style verniers on all your LR-91s - and yes, I'd like to have kerolox versions of these available :)

R2ONeMx.png

The Titan 1 LR-91 would also be able to have a single vernier if you wanted:

BWdUwEq.png

tl;dr replace the specific variants of the Titan engines with parts that essentially represent different layouts, with the different LR-87 and -91 variants represented by B9 switches that switch nozzles, stats and plumes?

That might be going too far, TBH. While decluttering the part list is a worthy goal, the right-click menu is already overloaded as well. B9 adds two selectors (a bar and a button that opens a menu) for each switchable element. Not only is it fiddly, it'd have to be done every time you place an engine, unless you happen to want the default configuration. Also, it would make it nearly impossible to look up stats in the part tooltip - with so many modules, figuring out which is for which variant would be hard. 

Odd configurations are all right, but the main variants should probably be separate, for quick access (like it is now). B9PS getting rid of all the "switch" buttons would help, too (they're quite useless, the bar is faster to use), but it wouldn't fix the problem with tooltip stats.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

tl;dr replace the specific variants of the Titan engines with parts that essentially represent different layouts, with the different LR-87 and -91 variants represented by B9 switches that switch nozzles, stats and plumes?

THIS!   I like the Swap-ability of this and I have long wanted a 4 Vernier LR91-AJ-11 for...*reasons* 

Eventually I suggest the same for other "familial" engines but realize that it is a significant investment in time on your part.  

I think this will actually HELP you with the NEXT update when you (if the plan is still the same) re-tackle all the early rockets you are not happy with.  

10 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Is it just me, or is anyone else having troubles getting the Delta-V stats to show up in mechjeb? In fact, seems the Delta-V stats of the maneuver nodes is broken as well with the new parts. 

Do you have a Solid only stage?   That seems to cause issues for me with MechJeb if it is not the 0th stage.

I will confirm that I too have problems from time to time... Try an All Liquid Fuel rocket and see if you have the issues there (say a Simple early Delta or Thor ABle/Ablestar)

5 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Do you have a Solid only stage?   That seems to cause issues for me with MechJeb if it is not the 0th stage.

I will confirm that I too have problems from time to time... Try an All Liquid Fuel rocket and see if you have the issues there (say a Simple early Delta or Thor ABle/Ablestar)

No solids on the rocket. Just liquid fuel.

You asked for it, you got it - KH-10 "Dorian" camera system! Now, good luck actually getting it to take clear pictures with all those meatsacks bouncing around in there! :P

3U3cyud.png
OtnIq8z.png
65Nk1rz.png
rEiq1jV.png

Spoiler

I find it easier to post updates to Twitter these days since I can post screenshots that I previously shared privately straight from my phone.

1 hour ago, RaiderMan said:

officer: sir, are you human?
Korbin Dallas: negative, I am a meat popsicle.

And after all these years still rated as the best Transfer from the movie theater to the home theater!

Leeloo Dallas Multipass!

BUTT since Cobalt was talking about Meatsacks Obviously we are talking about HK47 and iterations their within from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.

HK47: I can exterminate that Meatsack for you Master...   *Ugh*  I said that word again!...

Player: What Word?

HK47: master *Ugh!*

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

You asked for it, you got it - KH-10 "Dorian" camera system! Now, good luck actually getting it to take clear pictures with all those meatsacks bouncing around in there! :P

[SNIP]

Reveal hidden contents

I find it easier to post updates to Twitter these days since I can post screenshots that I previously shared privately straight from my phone.

Any plans to add Tarsier Space Technology implementation? If not, could someone make a MM file to do so? 

12 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

officer: sir, are you human?
Korbin Dallas: negative, I am a meat popsicle.

10 hours ago, Pappystein said:

And after all these years still rated as the best Transfer from the movie theater to the home theater!

Leeloo Dallas Multipass!

Hmm, I don't think it was any particular reference I was aiming for. I've only seen that movie once years ago, I should check it out again.

10 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Any plans to add Tarsier Space Technology implementation? If not, could someone make a MM file to do so? 

It would definitely be cool to have! Perhaps you could take a look at it? I don't know if there are any additional transforms needed for Tarsier (or Cacteye, for that matter). MOL's KH-10 camera system was evaluated for astronomy in real life!

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3290/1

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

It would definitely be cool to have! Perhaps you could take a look at it? I don't know if there are any additional transforms needed for Tarsier (or Cacteye, for that matter). MOL's KH-10 camera system was evaluated for astronomy in real life!

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3290/1

I have no programming knowledge sadly. But hopefully someone else will make an mm file for it. Might take a look at mm tutorials thinking about it.

And wow. Really? That's interesting. Spy station becoming a space telescope. 

Edited by GoldForest

6 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

It would definitely be cool to have! Perhaps you could take a look at it?

4 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I have no programming knowledge sadly. But hopefully someone else will make an mm file for it. Might take a look at mm tutorials thinking about it.

//Tarsier Space Tech Compatibility

//CA-Explorer - IUE Telescope

@PART[ca_explorer]:FOR[CoatlAerospace]:NEEDS[TarsierSpaceTech]

{

MODULE

{

name = TSTSpaceTelescope

maxZoom = 3

xmitDataScalar = 0.2

labBoostScalar = 1.2

baseTransformName = mesh

cameraTransformName = CameraTransform

lookTransformName = mesh

}

}

This is the entirety of the compatibility patch for the telescope in Coatl probes plus. I dont know the relevance of lookTransformName and baseTransformName but it does look like a dedicated transform is needed to place the camera viewpoint.

24 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

And wow. Really? That's interesting. Spy station becoming a space telescope.

16 minutes ago, Zorg said:

This is the entirety of the compatibility patch for the telescope in Coatl probes plus. I dont know the relevance of lookTransformName and baseTransformName but it does look like a dedicated transform is needed to place the camera viewpoint.

Wow, Zorg made me delete the entire post I was writing. Alright, yeah I'll see about sliding that transform in there if someone can test it.

It's interesting - as that article points out, it's sort of... curious? That they'd even bother, since the number of astronomers who had security clearance to see photos from the older Keyholes - let alone Dorian - probably could be counted on one hand if at all.

In terms of a dedicated MOL camera experiment, I could probably use help writing a proper set of sciencedefs for it. I think it's just using the existing camera experiment right now which... meh. They're not really comparable but I don't know how you'd even differentiate.

Edited by CobaltWolf

28 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

They're not really comparable but I don't know how you'd even differentiate.

I don't quite recall if the existing BDB camera experiment is biome specific in low orbit. I think it is but in any case the MOL one definitely needs to be. I suppose the MOL experiment can have 0 transmission value so that it needs to be recovered by crew or better yet processed in the lab.

19 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I don't quite recall if the existing BDB camera experiment is biome specific in low orbit. I think it is but in any case the MOL one definitely needs to be. I suppose the MOL experiment can have 0 transmission value so that it needs to be recovered by crew or better yet processed in the lab.

Yeah, that's a good idea. We basically have the entirety of DMagicScienceAnimate to play with here, which has a slightly different feature set than the main plugin in DMagic Orbital Science. There's a lot of balance levers and features.

19 minutes ago, hieywiey said:

Could the KH-11 have SCANSat (maybe the SAR module?) and DMagic Orbital Science (The large recon part) integration.

The large recon is definitely possible if someone gives me a patch for it - if I remember, the functionality for those isn't available in DMagicScienceAnimate so it can be natively embedded... I don't remember if it works without the toggleable meshes for the data.

SCANSat is tbd for... reasons.

22 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Reveal hidden contents

*Like*

Edited by DylanSemrau