[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

poster,840x830,f8f8f8-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u4.jpg

Ok, the new Atlas dv calculator now calculates the Drag losses and gravity losses. But they depend on the launch trajectory... so...I had to do a lot more than originally intended.

Spoiler

As long as you don't reeeeeeeeeeeeeally mess up ir launch profile, the drag losses are tiny (around 5% of total losses). The gravity losses depend on the burn time, the dv to raise the periapsis changes a LOT with the trajectory.

I considered a trajectory inspired-ish by the real Atlas. Climb vertically for a bit, begin to pitch down constantly to a final angle, jettison the booster skirt and keep the angle until running out of propellant. You can see its effect in the animation below 

yes, I am proud of that animation

oTgZTOJ.gif

1 hour ago, oniontrain said:

The Apollo subsatellite no longer fits in the service bay after this last update.

It doesn't fit in the VAB either...

Hide contents

rz0d693.jpg

It's a feature, not a bug. This is part of the BDB rescale movement which will complete next update (insider sources say). This was given to allow people to adjust.

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

It's a feature, not a bug. This is part of the BDB rescale movement which will complete next update (insider sources say). This was given to allow people to adjust.

I was told the Saturn Rescale patch is dead?

1 hour ago, oniontrain said:

The Apollo subsatellite no longer fits in the service bay after this last update.

It doesn't fit in the VAB either...

Reveal hidden contents

rz0d693.jpg

Oops... No idea *how* that happened, but it should be fixed, and I re-uploaded all the zips to the various DL sources :)

31 minutes ago, Omnipius said:

On KSP 1.7.3, running the latest versions of RO/RSS/RP-1, along with latest versions of B9PartSwitch and BDB, I get this set of serious warnings on BDB engines:

Are you running the correct versions for 1.7.3, or just the latest versions?

2 hours ago, Omnipius said:

On KSP 1.7.3, running the latest versions of RO/RSS/RP-1, along with latest versions of B9PartSwitch and BDB, I get this set of serious warnings on BDB engines:

Spoiler

zYStyiK

Any thoughts on what's broken here and how to fix it?

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Are you running the correct versions for 1.7.3, or just the latest versions?

1 hour ago, Omnipius said:

The correct versions as installed by CKAN.

1 hour ago, birdog357 said:

Which is, unfortunately, not the same thing in all cases

The RO patches for BDB will need to be updated for this.  Basically some "lite" engine config switching was implemented in BDB.  Now, what it's technically complaining about is looking for ModuleEnginesFX but only finding ModuleEnginesRF.  But it happens to be the case that disabling the functionality is correct in this case anyway, since RO has its own engine config switching.

2 minutes ago, blowfish said:

The RO patches for BDB will need to be updated for this.  Basically some "lite" engine config switching was implemented in BDB.  Now, what it's technically complaining about is looking for ModuleEnginesFX but only finding ModuleEnginesRF.  But it happens to be the case that disabling the functionality is correct in this case anyway, since RO has its own engine config switching.

So this is an RO issue? What would need to be changed about the RO patches to correct the issue? I'll happily implement the fix if I can understand how to clear the issue for any one part.

Just now, Omnipius said:

So this is an RO issue? What would need to be changed about the RO patches to correct the issue? I'll happily implement the fix if I can understand how to clear the issue for any one part.

The relevant ModuleB9PartSwitch needs to either be completely removed if it is only handling engine configs, or made to modify the model only if it switches models (i.e. the inner MODULE node in each SUBTYPE would need to be removed)

7 hours ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

Ok, the new Atlas dv calculator now calculates the Drag losses and gravity losses. But they depend on the launch trajectory... so...I had to do a lot more than originally intended.

Reveal hidden contents

As long as you don't reeeeeeeeeeeeeally mess up ir launch profile, the drag losses are tiny (around 5% of total losses). The gravity losses depend on the burn time, the dv to raise the periapsis changes a LOT with the trajectory.

I considered a trajectory inspired-ish by the real Atlas. Climb vertically for a bit, begin to pitch down constantly to a final angle, jettison the booster skirt and keep the angle until running out of propellant. You can see its effect in the animation below 

yes, I am proud of that animation

Looks awesome!

Um not final yet but heads up: for the moment in 1.7 dev, the LR105 has had its thrust adjusted. Previously it was using 37.5% of IRL thrust scaling and we missed out on adjusting this when we did the big everything to 25% adjustment earlier. If the change doesnt affect Atlas playability greatly this might become permanent.

Edited by Zorg

40 minutes ago, rcollier said:

I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere, but I’m getting a torque thrust from the LR79/RS-27. It’s enough to push the rocket off course and makes handling difficult.

Are you referring to these engines in the current release or the new combined part in BDB_1.7 gtihub development?