[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

11 minutes ago, CDSlice said:

So I think I found a Kraken in the Donna lander...

(picsnip for space)

When I tried to disembark Jeb I noticed that I couldn't climb down from the capsule ladder to the fuel tank ladder. So I let go of the ladder and fell until Jeb hit the bottom ladder. When I grabbed the ladder again, the Kraken struck. Poor Jeb was accelerated extremely quickly to 32 m/s before he let go of the ladder and died from lithobraking. :(

Luckily,  I had a quicksave so my multi-launch Titan JNSQ Mun mission can go on. :)

Can confirm the presence of the phantom forces on the lander pod. Heck, most of the BDB ladders seem to have this issue. Not sure what causes it.

3 hours ago, Fan777 said:

it turned out to turn the model itself rotation = 0, 180, 0 and now the interior converges with the model, which basically suits me
The view from the cockpit is also normal.
I hope there will be no problems because of this

MODEL
{
    model = Bluedog_DB/Parts/Gemini/bluedog_Gemini_LanderCan
    rotation = 0, 180, 0
}

The problem is then the navball is reversed.

35 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

only the initial position of the model changes, and only. Well, the rover will no longer get normal, but the landing module is normal

Edited by Fan777
ы

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

That's why the fix would be to put:

MODEL
{
    model = Bluedog_DB/Spaces/BDB_Gemini_LanderCan_Int/BDB_Gemini_LanderCan_Int
    rotation = 0, 180, 0
}

In the IVA config (you'd need to move the config out of the model folder, as well, or you'd get duplicated model). Of course, that wouldn't reverse the props. When I get back to playing KSP, I might upload a fixed IVA config, but this won't be for some time.

3 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

In the IVA config (you'd need to move the config out of the model folder, as well, or you'd get duplicated model). Of course, that wouldn't reverse the props. When I get back to playing KSP, I might upload a fixed IVA config, but this won't be for some time.

Some kind of duplication scares me, I do not make a second file, I edit one file Bluedog_DB \ Parts \ Gemini \ Lander \ bluedog_Gemini_LanderCan.cfg where I add rotation = 0, 180, 0 to the model and that's it
I already checked, everything is fine with him, just forward he is now where the door is

Your way will work, but it's a kludge, not a solution. Fixing it properly is only a little more work, although you need to have Unity installed. 

Who needs the Saturn V when you can have a Big Gemini?

screenshot128.png

In JNSQ, Minmus is perfectly reachable by a large Titan with some minor tweaks as Jeb, Val, Bill, and Bob are about to prove.

These are some large screenshots so the rest will be in the spoiler.

Spoiler

screenshot131.png

We have liftoff! Two 8 segment SRBs provide plenty of thrust for takeoff.

screenshot133.png

Sunset launches sure are pretty.

screenshot140.png

Booster separation was nominal, it is up to the imported Czar engine to provide the rest of the thrust to get into a nearly orbital trajectory.

screenshot144.png

Final boost to orbit was achieved with just enough dV for the rest of the mission.

screenshot147.png

A better view of the transfer vehicle. The cargo bays are from Universal Storage and hold the lander and other science equipment. This is going to be a one launch mission.

screenshot153.png

Almost at our minty destination

screenshot160.png

After a retro burn to stable Minmus orbit, Val goes on a quick EVA to inspect her lander.

screenshot183.png

Satisfied with the inspection results Val begins her descent burn.

screenshot193.png

JNSQ Minmus required much less dV to land than was expected. Val never had to detach the bottom tank. The lander is basically the Donna except with stock landing legs so that it will fit in a Universal Storage cargo bay. Plenty of science was able to be gathered, including sand stone rock samples.

screenshot196.png

After an uneventful take off from the minty surface Val docked the lander to the Big Leo mother ship to transfer the science over.

screenshot197.png

Time for the trip home

screenshot199.png

Landed safe and sound with the help of some retro rockets.

In your face Saturn V!

1 hour ago, TonedMite133805 said:

Should we start a new thread? We're at 600 pages now.

18 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Why would we need a new thread? Tantares' is well over 700.

mods, lock the thread

Just some general stuff coming down the pipeline...

Started drafting the models for Vega revamp. I'd like to get it done in this update due to the relationship with Juno IV and Ranger.

OQegdYr.png

We've been doing work on what a... "X-405H 1970" would look like. Think, if Vega had been refined to the level that Agena had.
Maybe we'll see an alternate tankage (or rather, tank extension) as well.

bR4rn2H.png

Been getting work done on Nimbus. I think the end goal isn't to recreate any one Nimbus (there were 7, or 8 depending on how you count) in particular, but rather a collection of parts to approximate the range of them. 

So here you have what I'll call an "early" Nimbus, followed by a "late" Nimbus. The late Nimbus is missing some experiments from the bottom. I'm seeing what instruments fit our existing experiments, and then some of the bulkier ones are going to be compound experiments using DMSA. So you'll need all three (or so) on a satellite to run the experiment off the "main" one (usually whatever one needs to animate, if possible)... maybe also be able to have several tiers by chaining them off of each other (Experiment A runs solo, B needs A, C needs B and A, with progressive levels of science return approaching the full value of the experiment) so that you can build multiple "blocks" of satellites. The cool part is that by making these compound parts, I can force y'all to greeble more for the same science return, and make things much more legoable! :)

Also, shoutouts to @MaverickSawyer for writing a new bd_weather experiment! It has a ton of great flavortext blurbs for all the stock planets with atmos!

evS5nyr.png
1yUMWGF.png

You maybe have noticed the peculiar RTG on the "early" Nimbus there. It's a SNAP-19, same as the ones on Pioneer, just mounted differently. I think I'm going to try and do a small lineup of the early SNAP RTGs.

Here's a basic one (probably needs more mounting hardware) and the Nimbus one. If anyone has ideas for more of them (extending out on arms for example, different bundle configurations) let me know :)

v1LkskA.png

Also, OGO has been sitting on the backburner for a while but I'd like to get it done sooner than later. If y'all haven't seen it before...

kTtAnI6.png

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

mods, lock the thread

Just some general stuff coming down the pipeline...

Started drafting the models for Vega revamp. I'd like to get it done in this update due to the relationship with Juno IV and Ranger.

OQegdYr.png

We've been doing work on what a... "X-405H 1970" would look like. Think, if Vega had been refined to the level that Agena had.
Maybe we'll see an alternate tankage (or rather, tank extension) as well.

bR4rn2H.png

So I have found A single document on NRTS talking about an Advanced Vega.   In it it cites changing the fuel from Lox/RP-1/HTP to RP-1/HTP.    This removes the needs for all but ONE of the spheres under the tankage (all but one of those were HTP for the Turbo pump and the one left ran the hot gas RCS (HTP + Solid catalyst at the nozzle.)  Yes the X-405H was a TRI-FUEL engine apparently.   and the HTP being hypergolic with RP-1 is how the engine would be re-started in flight.

I love the idea of an extended Bell for more ISP.   I also heart the idea of a tankage stretch.    Does that mean I can stop using your Excelsior small tank for my Vega stretches?   :cool:

Love the 6K tankage.   What is the top "Diameter?"  And are you planning on the GCU being part of the 6K tankage or on-top of the 6K tankage as a separate part?   

Here's a MM patch that adds support for Near Future Exploration feeder\reflector mechanic to some BDB antennas.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sVZkk1cDl0d3okMhuxQ47oWe1xOS3X21/view?usp=sharing

Supported antennas:

• A27-C antenna
  • Belle B81 antenna
  • F21 helical antenna
  • HLR-PIO6 (Pioneer 6) mast antenna
  • J15-D dish antenna
  • KD2 antenna
  • M17 solar antenna
  • MSC dome antenna
  • Transtage antenna
  • Apollo whip antenna
  • Apollo VHF antenna

Note: NFEx plugin currently does not support antenna animations via MM patches. You can place feeder beam source to where it should be in extended position, but this would look somewhat silly in editor.

Note 2: N100 omni antenna and Helios antenna array are not supported - the first is omnidirectional, and frankly I don't know what is the second one and where the feeder beam is supposed to be.

Does anyone have an idea how the motors Juno III was supposed to use looked? All I can find is a "more powerful motor from Grand Central". I'm pretty sure the rocket would change very little externally, but since those added about 10kg to the LEO payload, I'd figure the motors would have to be longer or thicker than original ones.

1 hour ago, biohazard15 said:

Here's a MM patch that adds support for Near Future Exploration feeder\reflector mechanic to some BDB antennas.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sVZkk1cDl0d3okMhuxQ47oWe1xOS3X21/view?usp=sharing

Supported antennas:

• A27-C antenna
  • Belle B81 antenna
  • F21 helical antenna
  • J15-D dish antenna
  • KD2 antenna
  • M17 solar antenna
  • MSC dome antenna
  • Transtage antenna
  • Apollo whip antenna
  • Apollo VHF antenna

Note: NFEx plugin currently does not support antenna animations via MM patches. You can place feeder beam source to where it should be in extended position, but this would look somewhat silly in editor.

Note 2: N100 omni antenna and Helios antenna array are not supported - the first is omnidirectional, and frankly I don't know what is the second one and where the feeder beam is supposed to be.

Thanks! I’ve been away from home for a bit and haven’t been able to look into how the feeder/reflector system in NFEX works. Will use your files as the basis for the compatibility update when I get back. 

12 hours ago, Pappystein said:

So I have found A single document on NRTS talking about an Advanced Vega.   In it it cites changing the fuel from Lox/RP-1/HTP to RP-1/HTP.    This removes the needs for all but ONE of the spheres under the tankage (all but one of those were HTP for the Turbo pump and the one left ran the hot gas RCS (HTP + Solid catalyst at the nozzle.)  Yes the X-405H was a TRI-FUEL engine apparently.   and the HTP being hypergolic with RP-1 is how the engine would be re-started in flight.

I love the idea of an extended Bell for more ISP.   I also heart the idea of a tankage stretch.    Does that mean I can stop using your Excelsior small tank for my Vega stretches?   :cool:

Love the 6K tankage.   What is the top "Diameter?"  And are you planning on the GCU being part of the 6K tankage or on-top of the 6K tankage as a separate part?  

Can you link the doc? :huh: I save everything I come across. And it wasn't really tri-fuel it's that the turbopump needed the HTP to run. The problem with keroxide is the performance tops out below what you can get from kerolox let alone cryogenics. Still... maybe an alternate engine config/plume using B9 would be appropriate? I won't make that alternate tank... well, actually, maybe I'll have to... I have this image which I'm 99% sure represents "Gamma Centaur". It's what is very distinctly an RL-10 mounted to what is very distinctly a Vega structural mockup. You can see that they removed/modified the spherical tanks to match the configuration in the diagram below.

UrdHbpq.jpg
dw9G1IV.png
bRzfpzB.png

I'm still figuring out things for the 6K stage, I'll have to get back to you on that. Not sure having separate avionics is worth it, I think it's going to be a bit funky regarding the sizes.

4 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Supported antennas:

• A27-C antenna
  • Belle B81 antenna
  • F21 helical antenna
  • J15-D dish antenna
  • KD2 antenna
  • M17 solar antenna
  • MSC dome antenna
  • Transtage antenna
  • Apollo whip antenna
  • Apollo VHF antenna

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Thanks! I’ve been away from home for a bit and haven’t been able to look into how the feeder/reflector system in NFEX works. Will use your files as the basis for the compatibility update when I get back. 

I'd think anything that is already a high gain antenna wouldn't work..? Most of the ones in BDB, actually. I don't know enough about radios (sad, since my dad is literally a radio engineer and a world class ham operator) but I think things like helical antennas wouldn't work. I know the Helios antenna is already its own high gain (that's what the weird mesh thing is, the rod in front of it is the collector), not to mention a low gain and I think a medium gain built in (IRL, idk how to represent that in game / if it's worth it?)

3 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

Does anyone have an idea how the motors Juno III was supposed to use looked? All I can find is a "more powerful motor from Grand Central". I'm pretty sure the rocket would change very little externally, but since those added about 10kg to the LEO payload, I'd figure the motors would have to be longer or thicker than original ones.

I always assumed it meant replacing the 11-7-1 clusters with a pair of thicker ones, probably something kinda like a short Antares + Altair (it was motors plural)

33 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Alot of Vega stuff, Also Gamma centaur.

That gamma centaur is quite facisnating.
As for 6K avoinics, I'd recomend making it seperate to put on other 0.9375 or 0.625M stages.
Oh and I decided to make a...list of recomended Vega parts (That arent the basic stage)
1.Extension tank (Already said but repeating,)
2.Maybe a mount variant with only one of those...tanks?
3.Dual engine mount for...reasons. REASONS.