[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, Breeze said:
14 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

This is an amazing job! I have one question. Will it just be the texture or the working mechanism of the parachute? Sorry if the question was asked.

dx57mEG.png

there is really nothing wrong with the mechanism per se, so I believe it is just the texturing. @CobaltWolf

No disrespect intended to actual history, but used this bad boy to land the Venera probe on Eve last night. I dunno what it is about the colors and lines and shapes of the Titan/Centaur combination, but I always love the way these parts look together. (jnsq/tufx)

Spoiler

I'm terrible at taking pictures during the actual mission, so I just loaded up the launch vehicle to show a few views.

Since I build for the mission, I don't always use the exact right parts, sometimes tanks get swapped, etc. But essentially this is a Titan IIIE I guess, with a Centaur G' (with a little extra gas).

EKYAfkj.jpg

h2vYJIX.jpg

The upper stage circularized, and then did about 2/3 of the ejection burn...

qMk6W87.jpg

The Centaur finished the ejection burn, completed the insertion burn, and provided a little bit of maneuvering once at Eve, until the Venera probe took over the rest.

LuGubaK.jpg

10 hours ago, mabdi36 said:

Hello! Could anyone help me with this problem? Whenever I load ksp, i keep getting this warning (multiple times for different parts): Warning on PartSubtype Alumina on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='InputSwitch') on part bluedog.Peacekeeper.Castor120: More than one module can't manage data on module bluedog.Peacekeeper.Castor120 (ModuleResourceConverter)

I've never encountered that error, but I am pretty sure "alumina" is from the KSP Interstellar Extended mod. It might have something to do with that?

Looks amazing, MashAndBangers!

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search through the thread but I didn't see anything about this. Are the Prometheus engines supposed to take time to "rev up" and "cool down" when igniting and killing thrust? It's cool and realistic, but at the same time it makes my maneuver nodes very difficult to plan since the timing is so squishy. I have a lot of mods, so I might just have something interfering.

1 hour ago, MagicCuboid said:

Looks amazing, MashAndBangers!

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search through the thread but I didn't see anything about this. Are the Prometheus engines supposed to take time to "rev up" and "cool down" when igniting and killing thrust? It's cool and realistic, but at the same time it makes my maneuver nodes very difficult to plan since the timing is so squishy. I have a lot of mods, so I might just have something interfering.

There's a cfg to disable that in the extras folder called RemoveEngineSpoolup. Create a folder called Bluedog_DB_Extras in GameData, and copy only the RemoveEngineSpoolup folder from Extras to there.

It's located in this folder in the download:

\BD_Extras (No Warranty)\GameData\Bluedog_DB_Extras\RemoveEngineSpoolup

I got something pretty cool for everyone. One of the planned proposals for Gemini was to have it be able to land on a runway with a rogallo wing. To investigate the feasibility of this idea, NASA created two Tow Test Vehicles (TTV). The TTV's were towed via helicopter and dropped to see if they could land with the paraglider. Unfortunately, due to budgetary and time constraints, the rogallo wing was cut from the program. Here is a picture of TTV-2:
27429591384_5409496b94_b.jpg

I thought it would be a cool idea to make a variant based on the TTV. While the capsule as a whole has a red/white checkboard design, which is not possible to replicate due to the UV of the capsule. I could at least approximate its overall design. Here is some images of what I came up with:
HplpGhc.png
PIPLN1T.png
(Full gallery for my test flight is here: https://imgur.com/gallery/v47q8w9, and the paraglider shown is from the mod KNES)

I think one of my favorite parts of the design are the decals on the sides. I really like all the little triangles! I also chose the number 8 because it is mirrored on the other side, so it's the only number that didn't appear backwards on the mirrored side :P. I think the variant turned out pretty well overall!

Unfortunately, the new Gemini does not bring back the same functionality as the old one. Namely, the dV and thrusters power. The old one could easily do some basic orbital maneuvers; the new one is, well, a flying joke with its 2x 1kN thrusters. This effectively retires it as a vehicle for rescue contracts (for which the old Gemini was an ideal choice). This functionality can be brought back via adding Transtage (or similar upper stage), but this leads to increased weight and forces you to use at least BAS2 (3A barely lifts it).

I understand that the new Gemini is more realistic than the old one, but still...

20 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Unfortunately, the new Gemini does not bring back the same functionality as the old one. Namely, the dV and thrusters power. The old one could easily do some basic orbital maneuvers; the new one is, well, a flying joke with its 2x 1kN thrusters. This effectively retires it as a vehicle for rescue contracts (for which the old Gemini was an ideal choice). This functionality can be brought back via adding Transtage (or similar upper stage), but this leads to increased weight and forces you to use at least BAS2 (3A barely lifts it).

I understand that the new Gemini is more realistic than the old one, but still...

Oh, I didn't know development had ended on BDB.

11 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Random thought of the day: I got the BDBs, and I got the HullCams, so if I was smarter than I am, would I be able to patch a camera into the Mercury capsule at the periscope position? This might be a dumb question due to the fact I have no idea how modules work. 

If I remember, I added a transform called "cameraTransform" to the periscope, but Zorg (who was doing the Hullcam configs at the time I think) didn't know how to feed it to Hullcam. If you can figure it out I'd be happy to include it in our Hullcam compatibility patch :)

11 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Random thought of the day: I got the BDBs, and I got the HullCams, so if I was smarter than I am, would I be able to patch a camera into the Mercury capsule at the periscope position? This might be a dumb question due to the fact I have no idea how modules work. 

19 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

If I remember, I added a transform called "cameraTransform" to the periscope, but Zorg (who was doing the Hullcam configs at the time I think) didn't know how to feed it to Hullcam. If you can figure it out I'd be happy to include it in our Hullcam compatibility patch :)

Silveria Marcel had been submitting the configs to date. He had just been using editor extensions to figure out the location and vector manually but it would be convenient if we could just reference the transform. But idk the syntax for that.

23 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

The real ones were 440 N ;) 

That actually reminds me, I owe y'all these... the Lunar Recon SM (which effectively just welds together the retro and equipment modules, replicating the old functionality) and the bare/empty version of the Equipment module. I'll try to get these in game soon.

aI5OzSp.png

EDIT: Oh, should have included this - for anyone wondering what Lunar Recon SM I'm referencing...

ijNwpRA.png

1GVt7mi.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

On 5/12/2020 at 10:40 AM, Zorg said:

Silveria Marcel had been submitting the configs to date. He had just been using editor extensions

Yeah... I've been quite busy so I hadn't played ksp in a while. I will take a look at it next weekend

Edited by Marcelo Silveira