[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, Bongotastic said:

I've never modded in KSP, but if I was to add RealAntenna configs for all of the cool BDB antennas, would there be interest in rolling this in the mod? The probe cores have RA configs (somehow), but the separate antennas don't. 

Absolutely. Please make a PR to the v1.7 development branch if you do so.

I suspect the probe cores are covered by some generic blanket patch within RA that covers parts with both antennas and command.

Edited by Zorg

The Nova-Punch Freyja CST coupled to a Muo V N22.

vx3NpNZ.png

Waiting on @DylanSemrau's CST which could take a while, but this will suffice in the meantime (albeit with a couple tweaks in Mass and Fuel Amounts in the Pod and SM). I've been fooling around in JNSQ on my laptop (on one of my training trips and not by my rig currently), and I'm glad I did. This really re-kindled my interest in KSP. 

Small issue with new Augustus: bugged B9PS configs (see github for screenshot)

Rather big issue with "Pitseolak" and "Bellini" Gemini SMs: they lack extra nodes for interstages. This leads to inability to use existing interstages (like Saturn petal adapter) without using offset tool if you mount something on SM's bottom node (like docking node, especially a smaller one, like Apollo).

Also, Bellini lacks place for crew (which it should have, according to its textures)

Edited by biohazard15

Aaand here's my first problem with the new thermal patch: Transtage. The part itself is okay, but it overheats stuff attached to it during long burns. For example: it will overheat Lunar Orbiter solar panels during burn to Minmus.

2 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Also, Bellini lacks place for crew (which it should have, according to its textures)

Since you would "control from here" on the docking, port, I'm questioning if any of these SM's should hold crew, since four our purposes they're just crew tubes, not cabins. Maybe if we had a rear facing IVA that worked with these parts.

48 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Transtage

Yeah. That's an all-in-one part so... trouble. Does it need immediate attention or is this just visual? Like, overheat how: glowing red; showing a temp gauge; parts exploding?

2 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Augustus: bugged B9PS configs (see github for screenshot)

I see a few problems in your screenshot. If that's a craft file, you need to rebuild from scratch.

1 hour ago, biohazard15 said:

Aaand here's my first problem with the new thermal patch: Transtage. The part itself is okay, but it overheats stuff attached to it during long burns. For example: it will overheat Lunar Orbiter solar panels during burn to Minmus.

(@Jso or whoever is doing the thermal balance)

This can be mitigated by reducing the decoupler's heatConductivity value or increasing the Transtage's thermalMassModifier

Edited by Marcelo Silveira

27 minutes ago, Jso said:

Since you would "control from here" on the docking, port, I'm questioning if any of these SM's should hold crew, since four our purposes they're just crew tubes, not cabins. Maybe if we had a rear facing IVA that worked with these parts.

Good point. Still, would be nice to have that option.

Does it need immediate attention or is this just visual? Like, overheat how: glowing red; showing a temp gauge; parts exploding?

It most certainly needs an immediate attention. Solar panels I've mentioned are exploding. Stuff like Transtage RCS are showing temperature gauge. And Transtage itself is glowing red.

I see a few problems in your screenshot. If that's a craft file, you need to rebuild from scratch.

This is NOT a craft file - it was built from scratch. What problems do you see? The bug is that "LifeSupport" is listed under "Paint", which is presumably leads to both visual bugs (no texture) and cargo bugs (bugged config for LS mods?)

That's how Transtage looks like after Minmus burn, with two stock (okay, ReStock) radiator panels:

U20RTnV.png

You can see overheat gauges over radiators and solar panels. Without radiators, ALL attached stiff shows overheat gauge, with solar panels exploding at the end of the burn.

Note that it's a 2.5x rescale.

Edited by biohazard15

1 hour ago, Jso said:

I addressed Transtage and the Lifesupport patches. Try it now. I think Transtage heat still needs to be toned down a bit still but it should be ok.

Tried the same craft, flying the same mission, but without radiators - seems to be OK, no red glow or temp gauges during the LKO escape burn.

B9 switch for LS on Augustus seems to be OK now. While we're here: please un-nerf its cargo capacity. Unexpected nerfs are bad. Especially such harsh nerfs.

Edited by biohazard15

9 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@Jso I think there might also be issues with the Titan parts in response to the new thermal patch . I don't seem to have enough time to hot-stage without either the decoupler or upper fuel tank overheating and exploding .

Any specific combination of parts? I used a titan about a week ago, I usually stage the lr91 4-5 seconds prior to decoupling but just curious about the thermal patch i think I staged at 10 seconds prior and it was still fine (Lr91-aj11).

2 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Any specific combination of parts? I used a titan about a week ago, I usually stage the lr91 4-5 seconds prior to decoupling but just curious about the thermal patch i think I staged at 10 seconds prior and it was still fine (Lr91-aj11).

I think I've only used the Titan III/IV LR91 .

23 minutes ago, Not a Spy said:

i would very much like a patch or something that changed the stats so that they would work in a stock system

BDB parts are balanced against stock *parts*. If they seem overpowered, its because the stock part balance is an overpowered balance (deliberately so the game is easier). 

If this sounds strange to you think about how small a rocket is needed to get to the moon in stock parts vs what is required in real life.

It has long been the case that if you want your rockets to have more realistic performance you need to play at 2.5/2.7 scale. This is true for bdb, and *its true for stock parts as well*.

For instance both the BDB Titan II and the making history Titan II can send the Gemini/Mk II all the way to the Mun at stock scale. But in 2.5x scale they have just enough Dv to get into low orbit, just like the real thing.

Put simply no patch is required for BDB parts at stock scale. Their performance is similar to stock parts (broadly speaking)

Edited by Zorg