[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, bjornadri said:

the OAO consists of 3 hexagonal components according to friznits wiki, i'm wondering what the bottom one is supposed to be, and if its the secondary telescope, what the difference is between OAO 1 and OAO-2 stargazer

OAO-1 & 3 have the service module on the bottom, which you can fill with extra bits to taste.

1 hour ago, Friznit said:

OAO-1 & 3 have the service module on the bottom, which you can fill with extra bits to taste.

1 hour ago, bjornadri said:

got it! thanks!

Wait no, OAO-1 and OAO-2 should use the secondary telescope instrument (forget the exact name right now).

IRL the instrumentation is different but in game they are abstracted and identical. the only difference between 1 & 2 in game is that 1 doesnt use the solar panel extension.

OAO 3 is the only one that uses the service module at the bottom.

Just to add to that IRL, OAO-1 carried UV, Xray and Gamma ray instruments. OAO-2 entirely UV and OAO-3 had UV and X-ray.

https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/spacecraft/displayExperiment.action?spacecraftId=1966-031A

https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/spacecraft/displayExperiment.action?spacecraftId=1968-110A

https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/spacecraft/displayExperiment.action?spacecraftId=1972-065A

Edited by Zorg

On this episode of "Obscure Satellites": ANNA 1B!

tDu52p4.png

Launched in the morning of 31.10.1962, ANNA (Army, Navy, NASA, Air Force) was a US Navy geodetic satellite. It was the second launch attempt on that program (ANNA 1A failed to reach orbit) and the last flight of Thor-Ablestar.

q6bGjZn.png

qS4wpKS.png

Dat Thor butt.

szKY5Tz.png

Showcasing KSRSS-VE goodies.

lsn98x0.png

vZ5Krq8.png

1rTQz9P.png

The replica is made from (top to bottom): Explorer 6, TIROS 1, Alouette 1.

nes86U0.png

qJoqSPN.png

It's quite heavy (258 kg, compared to actual ANNA 1B's 161 kg). The actual ANNA 1B was launched to 1076x1172x50.1deg orbit; the replica can barely achieve 500km circular orbit in 2.5x KSRSS when launched from CCAFS to the same inclination.

Solar panels and existing TIROS and Alouette experiments are fully functional.

10 hours ago, derega16 said:

I think @CobaltWolf said so many time that he will never do it, so if it will be made it have to be someone else

Yes and somewhere about 30 pages back is a big info-graphic that Cobalt made that says why.

Let me try to dredge up the memory of why.....

Oh yeah.  He said something about not making ugly rockets! :D

However I will add.   I seriously SERIOUSLY wonder why you all want a rocket that would never have been built and was not even wanted by Von Braun.

Oh and before you start spamming old magazine articles...   Look at ACTUAL NASA documents where the C8 is barely mentioned.   In every mention on the C-8 it is listed as a study for how to extend the base Saturn Hardware further ignoring the fact that there was no place to build at-least the first stage, and no way to Launch it without building an entire new infrastructure at the Cape.

Mostly a  "Hey Von Braun, can you make a bigger rocket than Saturn V with the same basic building blocks?"  

And Von Braun's answer is "Why yes, we could...  It would look like this... but you..."  

"Cool that is the info we needed"   Everyone seems to want to leave the building as fast as they can

With Von Braun finishing up  "But you haven't let me explain that...."

*everyone else has left the room as Von Braun has still not said The entire way NASA launches rockets would have to be made a-new again.*

Note to everyone the quotes in Italics are not a literal or real quote of VonBraun and anyone else... I made the lines up to showcase what I believe happened to bring about the Saturn C-8.

If you don't want to take my word for it.  How about this 1965 document by Von Braun's Future Projects Office at MSFC on what should Follow the Saturn Apollo program as far as rockets are concerned:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19650007941

If you want something "bigger" than Saturn V.  You want SATURN MLV.   Saturn C-8 is a bad curiosity that shouldn't be mentioned here.

OK I freely admit I am using a lot of tongue in cheek above but the fact remains:  Saturn C-8 was for lack of a better term, a propaganda proposal and not a real proposal.   There are literally 10s of documents on the Saturn C-8 on the NASA file server.  There are Literally 100s of documents for each of the major NOVA and NEXUS proposals (and Saturn C-8 isn't one of them.)  So unless there is a secret backlog of Saturn C-8 documents that NASA is illegally withholding.... C-8 is just a marketing gimmick....   AKA NOTHING TO SEE HERE PLEASE MOVE ALONG.

PS I welcome all who criticize my view point.  But please, Keep it clean.  And also PLEASE REMEMBER.   No matter what you say the Devs themselves have said there is no place for Saturn C-8 in BDB, so your thoughts and arguments are not going to help persuade anyone to make the "fictional" Saturn (well more fictional than Saturn C-2 pre 1960, C-2, C-3 pre 1960, C-3 and C-4, C-3B, and C-4B)   Oh wait, look at all THOSE Saturn variants that COULD have been built IRL and COULD have been launched without totally re-thinking the KSC.

And yes I stuck the pre 1960 Saturn C-2 and C-3 in because I want the S-III stage! :D

PPS If you really want a Saturn C-8, I would suggest you learn how to make your own KSP mod.   Just looking at how BDB's dev team has grown in just the past few months from people who had ZERO experience with 3D modeling to making many new and interesting things that are now in BDB....   The KSP community is one of those places where people who make mods often are willing to help others to start to make mods and provide help, Feedback and most importantly ideas when things are not going well.  

People like Beale and Necrobones who have tutorials on using different 3d modeling programs on YouTube.  

I hope this is helpful to someone and I am posting it here because there is no point in 3 more pages of posts on wanting something that isn't going to happen in BDB

3 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Do you have any planned support for Kerbalism?

Kind of the other way around. The Kerblism mod itself has support for BDB. I dont know how well they have kept up with the latest updates but the compatibility is handled on their side rather than in BDB's own files.

21 hours ago, squeaker0704 said:

will we get the c8 ?

21 hours ago, computercat04 said:

I assume that yes, because there are already the IC, V and MLV. So, maybe.

21 hours ago, squeaker0704 said:

i hope

20 hours ago, Hay said:

Cobalt has said he wouldn't make it, unfortunately. I understand why, though. Its only purpose is really only launching direct ascent Apollo.

16 hours ago, derega16 said:

I think @CobaltWolf said so many time that he will never do it, so if it will be made it have to be someone else

I'm not planning on doing Saturn C-8. There's actually a reason past "it's ugly" (it is) - it would require a lot of single-use parts in new sizes that would only really be useable to build... well, Saturn C-8. I'd rather do uprated Saturn V variants and such like that, which would be lego'able to make lots of new crafts.

On that note - my partner is working at the hospital Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm planning on trying to stream Saturn development at least two of them, not sure which or if I'll just do all three. Will keep y'all posted. :)

dRD6LJm.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

On that note - my partner is working at the hospital Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm planning on trying to stream Saturn development at least two of them, not sure which or if I'll just do all three. Will keep y'all posted. :)

dRD6LJm.png

:o it’s coming!!!

Any plans on all the parts you’ll include? Full Integrated Program Plan or just focused on some of the more basic proposals?

6 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Do you have any planned support for Kerbalism?

@Minmus Taster, The next mod that I am supporting in my tech tree mod will be BDB unless the current poll changes significantly in the next week, currently going through Tantares.  I add Kerbalism support to the parts, particularly custom HDD profiles for probes and experiments.  I used Coatl Aerospace as a dry run to set up some new custom Kerbalism experiments that will, but do not currently work with BDB.  Given the scope of BDB, I am guessing mid to late December at the earliest.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Cool, can't wait to-

Hang on, did you just say Saturn development? :o

You know our bodies aren't ready for this yet! It's too powerful!

28 minutes ago, computercat04 said:

I know there's no plans for it but...

Reveal hidden contents

WHAT ABOUT SEA DRAGON!?

Necrobones (who I mentioned in my previous post) made a very nice Sea Dragon for KSP several years ago.  you can find it on Spacedock... (gets links!)

https://spacedock.info/mod/440/Real Scale Sea Dragon

And while Necrobone's  standards are not quite up to BDB Current level of snuff they are very VERY good.   I used to use a lot of his mods (and still wish BDB would make a ROCKET equipped Side Attached Decoupler for AJ-260!)  Every time I decided to fly MLVs with AJ-260s I tend to go get Necrobone's SPACE-Y mod because of the previously mentioned ROCKET decouplers :D

But there is probably a very good reason why you won't see SeaDragon in BDB...   To quote the great founder of BDB his-self :D  

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm not planning on doing Saturn C-8. There's actually a reason past "it's ugly" (it is) - it would require a lot of single-use parts in new sizes that would only really be useable to build... well, Saturn C-8. I'd rather do uprated Saturn V variants and such like that, which would be lego'able to make lots of new crafts

Key here is the "SINGLE-USE PARTS"

So sorry but Doubt we will see one in BDB...

In other news... SATURN DEV STREAM?!?!?!   On the busiest weekend for Retail all year?   Um.  HOPE either my boss forgets he said he wanted me to work Saturday or that there is a Friday stream...

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm not planning on doing Saturn C-8. There's actually a reason past "it's ugly" (it is) - it would require a lot of single-use parts in new sizes that would only really be useable to build... well, Saturn C-8. I'd rather do uprated Saturn V variants and such like that, which would be lego'able to make lots of new crafts.

I'm in total agreement, mate. The C-8 was an ill-conceived monstrosity best left on the drawing board. Or in the dust bin next to the drawing board. Besides, it's easy enough to build Apollo-based direct ascent vehicles with what you've already so graciously provided us.

21 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

About uprated saturn V, will we get dual F-1 mount for V-24(L), Comet, Jarvis and C-3 or a quad coupler for V-4(X)?

Edited by derega16

I know everyone is hyped about the Saturn revamp, but with the atlas revamp be adding the changes visible on Atlas E/F, namely the dual fuel pipes into the slightly modified booster skirt, and that big bulge on the side?