[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

45 minutes ago, squeaker0704 said:

well the windows are black just like the rest of it

32 minutes ago, squeaker0704 said:

i am also getting weird textures on the retro pack and motors for the retro pack

Sounds like a bugged install. Try to reinstall and see if that helps. If not, post a screenshot with all the bugs.

Speaking of The S-1B, this rocket is very hard to control.

It's almost impossible to launch ANYTHING with it.

The only thing I did SUCSESSFULLY with it was an Apollo 5 replica, and forget anything else.

I followed ALL the instructions in the manual right (Checked several times) is there anything that I could be doing wrong?

I wish I could give you screenshots but I cannot.

2 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Speaking of The S-1B, this rocket is very hard to control.

It's almost impossible to launch ANYTHING with it.

The only thing I did SUCSESSFULLY with it was an Apollo 5 replica, and forget anything else.

I followed ALL the instructions in the manual right (Checked several times) is there anything that I could be doing wrong?

I wish I could give you screenshots but I cannot.

Are you using BDB Now In Colours?  There's a bug that causes the Apollo parachutes to act is if they're open.  You can delete the parachute config from BDBNIC to make it go away.

4 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Can anyone comment on experience with RealChutes and BDB? I'm using EngineIgnitor and MandatoryRCS and thinking this might be a good next step in my self-imposed "realism lite" progression.

RealChutes has been a mandatory mod for me since before BDB was even begun.   While my play time is curtailed from previous years (why oh why did I have to get involved in mod development for another awesome game? :P ) I can safely say RealChutes + BDB have posed nearly zero problems from day one.

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

RealChutes has been a mandatory mod for me since before BDB was even begun.   While my play time is curtailed from previous years (why oh why did I have to get involved in mod development for another awesome game? :P ) I can safely say RealChutes + BDB have posed nearly zero problems from day one.

Well except once I fond serious bug on Apollo's parachute with real chute but that's several version ago

Edited by derega16

Vela 1A + Vela 1B + ERS-12 (Atlas LV-3B Agena-D)

The Partial Test Ban Treaty (PTBT), which outlawed atmospheric nuclear testing, was signed by USA, USSR and UK on 5 August, 1963. One week later, the US launched the first two of Vela satellites, designed to detect nuclear explosions.

These were launched in pairs. Six were launched on Atlas-Agena D, and the other six, "Advanced Vela", were launched on Titan IIIB. This is the first launch.

myqSxIz.png

PTcKNV2.png

mftZ8bA.png

9q3LVQG.png

Vela 1A and Vela 1B, accompanied by EFS-12 research satellite, were launched from CCAFS.

kjgwtY5.png

Obligatory butt shot.

w3G4QN0.png

dQbp86i.png

U8JJP47.png

Velas are made of IDCSP satellites. Deal with it.

Wr7K8qc.png

XPyaIBT.png

Vela satellites were launched on high orbit, 1/3 of Moon. 2.5x KSRSS Moon orbits at approximately 90M, so we're aiming for 30M for the first satellite. The second satellite will be released on 15M.

h7WAFUR.png

Releasing the ERS-12 to its "highly elliptical" orbit.

LvowN95.png

Agena-D is ready to release its main payload.

CyqCKX4.png

Releasing the main payload, after maneuvering to point at radial node. The interstage spinner spins the satellites.

aCd09rv.png

Spinner interstage releases both satellites.

uhcAz9k.png

Shortly after. the first satellite engages its apogee kick motor.

B9tafsY.png

The other satellite fires its AKM at 10M apogee.

Now. we can monitor Krussian nuclear tests... hopefully.

Vela is built from (top to bottom):

- Luciole "Hyper Mantis" engine (serves as "heat shield")

- BDB IDCSP satellite

- BDB Staara-13 SRM

Spin interstage is built from 0.3125m spin decoupler (everything is disabled) and two HLR-VD06 decouplers.

...Can someone make a PROPER Vela satellite? Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Edited by biohazard15

36 minutes ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

That is gorgeous!

It is a very nice option to get Orion to orbit, instead of an Ares 1 stick, a whole Delta 4 Heavy, or the massively overpowered SLS. I use the Vulcan upgraded SRBs, and the next evolution is probably to replace those with some small LRBs powered by a M1D.

So this falls solidly into the Oops! category. I had a Mercury Atlas already built out but decided I wanted to try the long duration version. I pulled it up in the VAB, disconnected the spacecraft from the booster, and changed the retro package to the long duration version. What I didn't realize was that when you do that it deletes the actual retro motors and you have to reattach them. I didn't check it and reconnected the spacecraft to the booster, sent it out to LC-14 and launched it into a 10 degree inclined orbit. After letting the astronaut acquire some flight time I went back to check on him and found this:

y4mgB2AjsZQsCKyUs82xMsSpjg6OxfyvwKv9zsQi

After the sound of the facepalm died away, I dithered for a minute on what to do. I went back to KSC and queued up a two man Apollo Saturn IB and mounted a rendezvous rescue mission. I got the Apollo Rescue to within 5 meters and the Mercury astro EVA'd over to the Apollo. He returned to Earth with his two new crewmates safe and sound. 

I am debating on how to bring the spacecraft back. I am thinking a GATV rigged with a grabber unit to attach to the retro package. After performing the deorbit burn with the Agena I detach it and let it reenter normally.

IMP-A aka Explorer 18 (Delta C) and Atlas-Centaur 2 (Atlas LV-3C Centaur-B)(see the spoiler at the end of the 1st spoiler!)

Not much here - just wanted to launch a Delta-C. Explorer 18 was its first flight, BTW. It was launched at 02:30AM, 27.11.1963. I've launched it somewhat earlier, since I don't like night launches.

rDjgXtI.png

H2O0SC5.png

lW7EX9Y.png

GbdW8TX.png

FtipTjj.png

uoIN4nO.png

74K8gDG.png

Nai2CNa.png

lxapP6G.png

AwwuKuy.png

And now, something more interesting: Atlas-Centaur 2 (aka Atlas LV-3B Centaur-B), which was launched at the same day, at 19:03PM. It was the sole flight of Centaur-B and the first successful Centaur flight.

iQvVayx.png

This is not just a test flight replica - this is an actual test flight. The goal: how would MJ's PVG handle the actual AC-2 flight profile (single burn to 474km x 1586km x 30deg)?

ZR69JFM.png

Anyone who tried PVG probably knows that it doesn't work well with high orbits. It also doesn't work with restartable engines, AKMs and numerous other things. What it does well, though, is flying low-thrust, high energy stages. Understandable, since it was based on actual Atlas-Centaur flight program.

ZuunM36.png

PVG settings: BPS 100m, BPR 0.8 deg\s - normal settings for lofted trajectories.

ULCgxo7.png

Going up.

jQIBwVU.png

Dropping the skirt and going up.

4MAaYjy.png

Dropping the fairing and still going up. Note that insulation panels are not dropped - this is in accordance to actual AC-2 flight. They couldn't solve the vibration problems in time, so they simply bolted them to Centaur.

Nf1qA8d.png

Dropping the Atlas and STILL going up... with a small hint of going forward.

FhFqYtN.png

Pitching down (FINALLY!)

MbNWAlY.png

Circularizing.

Lp8EGTC.png

0dHNEg2.png

AC-2's Centaur carried a simulated payload with various instruments. This is simulated with a kitbash of Ranger parts and some experiments from Well's Interkosmos mod (which I highly recommend).

Test results: yes, PVG can handle such orbits and such flight profiles, but it would waste too much fuel (the Centaur was left with 765m/s dV at the end of the burn). Maybe the "Attach Altitude" feature would help - I still haven't figured it out.

Edited by biohazard15

When you do figure out attach altitude, do let me know!  I typically have best success with PVG aiming for a 200 - 300km circular orbit.  Anything lower it tends to overshoot and then burns 'down' to orbit, anything higher and it's just not very efficient.