[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

7 minutes ago, ndiver said:

While reinstalling KSP, I installed BDB for the first time.
Despite using FilterExtension, i'm a bit lost in the large amount of parts. Is there a guide concerning all these parts or how to reconstruct a famous vessel?

Look at the first page in the OP;)

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

Indeed :ph34r: Thanks for the glass prescription :D

However, there is not inside the description for the Skylab, neither the explanation of how fits the lovely Leo-MLC lander can (that allows to make nano-landers)

Edited by ndiver

21 hours ago, Scott Kerman said:

what would a BDB rover look like to go onto the Lunar Module?

Well since @CobaltWolf has stated previously he had zero plans to make one....  What ever you make it look like?   :):D

And by the way welcome to the BDB forum.

Edited by Pappystein

On 9/14/2018 at 10:51 AM, Foxxonius Augustus said:

You're a beautiful person @CobaltWolf, your animations are pretty dope too. ;)

Thanks Foxxy <3

On 9/15/2018 at 7:15 AM, Cheesecake said:

On 9/15/2018 at 7:23 AM, ndiver said:

Indeed :ph34r: Thanks for the glass prescription :D

However, there is not inside the description for the Skylab, neither the explanation of how fits the lovely Leo-MLC lander can (that allows to make nano-landers)

The building instructions have not been well updated for a while, unfortunately. In the BD_Extras folder in the download, there is a configuration to give all the parts (well, I don't know how updated that is either... I pretty much just make the models and textures! :) ) their real names, if that helps. Even without that config, searching the real name of a rocket (atlas, saturn, the individual saturn stages like s1c, s2, s4b) usually will bring up all the parts associated with those rockets.

The Skylab station doesn't have any real instructions, but it doesn't have that many parts and there's a couple good views of it on the front page. The Leo-MLC can never got the associated parts like a frame and lander legs. I've been sitting with them on my hard drive for some time, keep getting distracted by other projects.

On 9/15/2018 at 3:52 PM, Scott Kerman said:

what would a BDB rover look like to go onto the Lunar Module?

Currently no plans for one, particularly since it would probably require additional dependencies (KIS/KAS for instance) to function properly.

Some small updates for you all... A prospective Minotaur 4+ rocket, and a new 1.5m low-profile fairing base to keep the height down on these short Peacekeeper-based rockets. There will also be a low-profile 1.5m decoupler, in white to match the casings on the solids. The SR-119 (middle stage) and Castor-120 (first stage) both basically only have their outer casing textured and need the entire nozzle area to be modeled and textured still.

1MdQAkG.pngW25s7Ey.png

By the way, has anyone gotten to try out any of the new Scout-derived parts yet? :)

EDIT: Oh, something I meant to address since someone messaged me about it off-forum: At the moment, I have all the Scout and Star-stage stuff on my main desktop, and the Peacekeeper-derived stuff on my laptop. I don't have an easy syncing between these two devices set up anymore, and I haven't been bothering to move files between them to suit what I have available at a given time. I think once the Peacekeeper stuff is done it'll pass over to my desktop, since I don't think I have Unity set up on my laptop anymore to save disk space. But, that is why I've been jumping between them somewhat :) The near future will probably be more Peacekeeper stuff since my SO has claimed my desktop to play Fallout: New Vegas for the first time.

Edited by CobaltWolf

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Some small updates for you all... A prospective Minotaur 4+ rocket, and a new 1.5m low-profile fairing base to keep the height down on these short Peacekeeper-based rockets. There will also be a low-profile 1.5m decoupler, in white to match the casings on the solids. The SR-119 (middle stage) and Castor-120 (first stage) both basically only have their outer casing textured and need the entire nozzle area to be modeled and textured still.

I will probably have a MM files for the extras since while it is Visually nearly identical to the Castor-120, the SR-118 first stage burns ~2x as fast.... All so the MX missile could get away before enemy nukes blew it's silos up...    Depressing but it is fitting that your SO is playing Fallout: New Vegas on your desktop while you are building a retired nuke launcher on your laptop :/:)

RE your new parts I have used a few of them.  Just relaunched a career after playing in the sandbox to design my Saturn derived Tinker-toy to Venus and beyond ship that supports Life Support....  Like all your latest parts, the new parts stand out and scream Porkjet was here and his technique was improved upon by Cobaltwolf!

Edited by Pappystein

Remember how I said that I have been working on two different sets of parts based on which computer I'm at, so I don't have to be shuffling files back and forth? Well, there's a THIRD computer now...

Orbus-6E animation test. The extensions are actuated by unrolling metal strips, which then pop free to allow it to gimbal.

And here's some other test images of the stage in general. 4 parts - Avionics ring (also a 1.875m > 1.5m adapter) which will include RCS and the like, the 0.9375m Orbus-6E, a short 1.5m interstage, and the Orbus-21 (only roughly modeled). I've made the executive decision that the Orbus-21 will only be useable for the IUS configuration - the Castor 30 will be used for building Athena.

zyI27T9.png2m5FwLc.png

2 hours ago, VhenRa said:

Any idea what the KS-II stage referenced in that 7 engine adapter for the SII is? 

Actually that would be Saturn II INT-17's First stage.  It was to be powered by 7 HG-3 Sea Level Rated engines (in the Pafftek Extras folder) Best to use with the MS-IIA Tankage in the same extras folder....

The leftmost of the three versions pictured:

Saturn_II.svg

Center is standards S-II tankage and engine plate with either J-2S or HG-3 and UA-1207 SRBs and Right is Standard S-II setup again with Minuteman derrived SRBs.   The Agol SRB is ALMOST the right size (it is too long IIRC and lacks the correct thrust/fuel load) but it is a good VISUAL fit for the Saturn II INT-19.

Personally I fly almost exclusively the INT-18 (in the middle) for my big satellite launches....   Or for getting crew to my Apollo era stations.   Not powerful enough to get my Tinkertoy parts in space (for my Deep Space rocket derived from Saturn.)

Further, the 7 engine J-2/HG-3 mount was mentioned in a few of the MLV studies that were of the same generation as the Saturn II proposals. 

Edited by Pappystein
Clearer text and added MLV refrence

21 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

The final crossover aka EM-1 done right

I don't know.  Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just make a recoverable S-IC stage?   :)

I mean sure you would need something like 10 J-93 engines ala my Avatar and metal impinged wheels again like my avatar to properly do it and survive the Mach-3 environment an unloaded S-IC could fly in.... but... :cool:

On a serious note.  Nice set of pictures and thanks for sharing!

4 hours ago, VhenRa said:

Any idea what the KS-II stage referenced in that 7 engine adapter for the SII is?

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

Actually that would be Saturn II INT-17's First stage.  It was to be powered by 7 HG-3 Sea Level Rated engines (in the Pafftek Extras folder) Best to use with the MS-IIA Tankage in the same extras folder....

The leftmost of the three versions pictured:

Center is standards S-II tankage and engine plate with either J-2S or HG-3 and UA-1207 SRBs and Right is Standard S-II setup again with Minuteman derrived SRBs.   The Agol SRB is ALMOST the right size (it is too long IIRC and lacks the correct thrust/fuel load) but it is a good VISUAL fit for the Saturn II INT-19.

Personally I fly almost exclusively the INT-18 (in the middle) for my big satellite launches....   Or for getting crew to my Apollo era stations.   Not powerful enough to get my Tinkertoy parts in space (for my Deep Space rocket derived from Saturn.)

Further, the 7 engine J-2/HG-3 mount was mentioned in a few of the MLV studies that were of the same generation as the Saturn II proposals. 

I believe it was just meant to be a reference to the MS-II stage (which itself is a designation that basically covers any form of upgraded/uprated S-II, but I digress) from the Saturn MLV studies. Something like page 43 of this PDF.

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

I don't know.  Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just make a recoverable S-IC stage?   :)

I mean sure you would need something like 10 J-93 engines ala my Avatar and metal impinged wheels again like my avatar to properly do it and survive the Mach-3 environment an unloaded S-IC could fly in.... but... :cool:

Have you seen Right Side Up's RS-IC?

Edited by CobaltWolf

Seems to work alright with 7 of those sea-level J2S motors even without boosters. I mean, it isn't anything brilliant but it works nice. I put together a rocket using 7 of those for the first stage and then the stretched SIVB combined with a pair of those even further upgraded J2s. 

3 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Will probably have to do something like that for future missions. The one I posted already pushed the Shuttle to it's limits, it filled the entire cargo bay and used the entire ET + had to compensate ~200 m/s with OMS. I could increase the capacity slightly by using these but flyback S-IC is probably still the best choice for munar surface missions...

6 hours ago, Pappystein said:

I mean sure you would need something like 10 J-93 engines ala my Avatar  to properly do it

Actually, 10 J-93's would be overkill

According to NASA, If you just only bolt on 6 of the J-93's, you're good to go! :)

https://imgur.com/7byEFXi