[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

So,   Before I post Titan IV and Commercial Titan 3 (CT3) I am trying to verify the data I have on the Aerojet AJ-11A family.   I know there were FOUR(???? maybe 3?) versions of the AJ-11A.   I have just been un-able to locate a single source.   I am looking for a single source point to actually talk about the AJ-11A-01, -02, and 03 in relation to the base -11A engines.  

For what it is worth, most documents including the "launch planner guides" for both the Titan IV and the CT3 just state AJ-11.  Both of those predate actual flights of either.  I have lots of individual data points with AJ-11A being a significantly changed beast... just no one wants to agree on performance, mass, etc....   Then yesterday while surfing NASASpaceFlight.com I found many refrences to the sub variants.   It would explain all the various data points I have been finding. 

If anyone has a link to any design documents that talks about the different sub versions of the Aerojet LR87-AJ-11A and the LR91-AJ-11A, I would appreciate a link.    Feel free to PM me.    Would really love actual Aerojet documents but I am desperate for anything even remotely credible at this juncture!  If nothing else it could give me a spring board to "hard facts"

THANKS

IN

ADVANCE (aka TIA!)

In the end I would like to put to bed once and for all "what engine thrust is right"  for the Titan CT3 and Titan IV.

8 minutes ago, squeaker0704 said:

are we going to get the lunar roving vehicle  

While I am hopeful,   A) I don't want to put words in the Dev's mouths and B) Stock wheels suck and all the good wheel mods haven't been updated since 1.8.1...  

So as I see it, I am going to hope for it, but I am not going to hold my breath for it.    That is several new skill-sets that would have to be learned for essentially one thing.    Sure that would allow the same skill-set to move onto other more advanced Lunar things... but still basically one thing for the next update's minimum potential list (replace all existing Saturn objects & functionality with newer better ones!)

Seeing Pappystein's absolutely amazing posts about Titan history, I've decided to make something too. So here's the first Titan IIIB launch.

Titan IIIB was developed for the next generation of spy satellites - KH-8 Gambit. First launch occured at the evening of 29 July of 1966, and was a success.

2PXp3YI.png

bHmZZ6k.png

hWxg2Cn.png

First KH-8 was launched to 158x250x94.1deg orbit. That's what I'm aiming for.

S0AeL2V.png

1tIvVEq.png

WE7Z5qu.png

zTamyiO.png

xFc9VYH.png

lNNzPx5.png

rxh4hdJ.png

c6oun5y.png

djgkFUN.png

LXvRzwh.png

Go read Pappy's posts if you want to learn more about Titan III's history!

1 minute ago, biohazard15 said:

Seeing Pappystein's absolutely amazing posts about Titan history, I've decided to make something too. So here's the first Titan IIIB launch.

Hide contents

Titan IIIB was developed for the next generation of spy satellites - KH-8 Gambit. First launch occured at the evening of 29 July of 1966, and was a success.

2PXp3YI.png

Go read Pappy's posts if you want to learn more about Titan III's history!

A) Wow! thanks for the kind words!   

B) amazing set of pictures.   A nice optimal looking launch!

I want to thank you, as well as everyone else who is making beautiful rockets.   Since returning from my "3 week vacation" also know as COVID Quarantine...  I have had zero time to boot KSP... Well that and I still haven't figured out what mod is causing my game to spend 12 minutes booting (Sold state drive on a 64Gb i9 shouldn't take 12 minutes to boot!)  

All the beautiful pictures you all are posting is what inspires me to kludge together these historical synopsis of these rockets (or the parts.)      While I am awaiting some hopeful answers on the Titan IV/CT3's engines... I am starting my next article.   I am working on some BDB build-able (as is) what if Titan rockets.    To be clear, these are completely my idea and not part of any historical proposal that I am aware of. 

After all, like many of you, I kind of play with mods like BDB to come up with my own "What IF?" plausible but not done rockets.     Maybe between historical (as can be) rockets, ab-historical rockets and totally fictional rockets that we can make with the various parts we have in game... Just maybe we can inspire the next Ed Heinemann.

17 hours ago, Zorg said:

The Remote Tech configs are community maintained by BDB users since the authors dont use the mod. They are quite old so Im not surprised there are configs for parts that dont exist anymore. If you do make RT configs they would be appreciated though its worth saying you are like the 4th or 5th person to have announced such intentions over the last year :P 

You can share the complete files directly or make a pull request to the master branch on github.

EDIT: Oh also worth mentioning now that I recall there in fact were some updates submitted by someone. They are on github and not released at the moment. You should look at these to ensure no duplication of effort.

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/tree/master/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/RemoteTech

Couldn't figure out how to do a pull request so I'll just post it here as a zip.

What these configs do:

- Dynamically configure all antennas to RemoteTech omnis based on their prior vanilla CommNet configurations (those numbers were set for a reason, might as well utilize them)

- Buff range of most omnis by 200%  to account for RemoteTech's more restrictive standard range model. If you use the root range model, just use the recommended 0.5 worldscale

- Nerf range on a few others because huge omni ranges felt unbalanced

- Dishes are manually  reconfigured from the initial omni state based on their intended mission profile (couldn't figure out a way to automatically configure dishes in a satisfactory way)

- Probe cores are automatically configured to have the RemoteTech default 3km always-on antenna for pad control

- Probes which are described as communications relays and had been configured already with improved internal antennas have retained those

- Going forward, this should automatically configure all new omni antennas and probe cores correctly, with a need to manually patch dishes or special probes / pods (but all would still work as omnis / regular probe cores at least)

If anyone spots any balance issues or other issues, I'd be happy to fix them and reupload if needed.

The Files

Edited by SpacedInvader

17 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

Couldn't figure out how to do a pull request so I'll just post it here as a zip.

What these configs do:

- Dynamically configure all antennas to RemoteTech omnis based on their prior vanilla CommNet configurations (those numbers were set for a reason, might as well utilize them)

- Buff range of most omnis by 200%  to account for RemoteTech's more restrictive standard range model. If you use the root range model, just use the recommended 0.5 worldscale

- Dishes are manually  reconfigured from the initial omni state based on their intended mission profile (couldn't figure out a way to automatically configure dishes in a satisfactory way)

- Probe cores are automatically configured to have the RemoteTech default 3km always-on antenna for pad control

- Probes which are described as communications relays and had been configured already with improved internal antennas have retained those

- Going forward, this should automatically configure all new omni antennas and probe cores correctly, with a need to manually patch dishes or special probes / pods (but all would still work as omnis / regular probe cores at least)

If anyone spots any balance issues or other issues, I'd be happy to fix them and reupload if needed.

The Files

Thanks. These are now on the Github master for anyone wishing to try them out.

54 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Preview of Hydyne and Alcolox waterfall plumes for redstone

GIF_04-02-2021_19-59-11.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

1 minute ago, Minmus Taster said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

lcohol plume and hydyne plumes are awsome!

Just now, Pappystein said:

What kind of performance changes happen when switching to waterfall?

I dont really know to be honest. I have a fairly powerful computer and im testing on a clean install so I cant see a performance difference. The idea behind Waterfall is that it should outperform particle plumes since you're scrolling textures on a mesh. However some of these plumes are using like 14 indidivual effects and Im not sure what the performance impact on a lower end PC would be. In theory it should still do better but I would be interested in feedback eventually when they make it to dev. (right now they are in a separate experimental feature branch, not the main master branch).

Its also worth noting that particles are still better for SRB smoke, waterfall doesnt have a way to do that yet. Unfortunately SRB plumes are the most performance heavy type of particle plume.

1 hour ago, Ollz said:

Ok thanks, it was the 67’ Version I was looking for, but the 69’ will do for now

Big G '67 (conical Big G) needs to be scaled to the new Saturn parts, which will be bigger than currently. So I've been holding off on making it :)

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Big G '67 (conical Big G) needs to be scaled to the new Saturn parts, which will be bigger than currently. So I've been holding off on making it :)

Going to have the "Aft" Pilot position (with a window?)  

Also I thought the 69 version would have been 3.125m.   Most of the official drawings I have show it quite a bit bigger than the diameter of the BigG (but still a cylinder)   Or is that yet another SM I am thinking of for the BigG?

17 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Going to have the "Aft" Pilot position (with a window?)  

Also I thought the 69 version would have been 3.125m.   Most of the official drawings I have show it quite a bit bigger than the diameter of the BigG (but still a cylinder)   Or is that yet another SM I am thinking of for the BigG?

I mean, yeah it'll need a pilot's window?

And I tried it at 3.125m and the proportions were all whacky. It really needs to be more like the "expanded 2.5m" is is now.

24 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I mean, yeah it'll need a pilot's window?

And I tried it at 3.125m and the proportions were all whacky. It really needs to be more like the "expanded 2.5m" is is now.

Thanks.  well that explains why I could never find it :D

4 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Thanks.  well that explains why I could never find it :D

Think I found the issue - here's the one that "should" be 3.125m - see the launcher it's spec'd for? :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/4m5tHIS01NJD2rVIHpuUq_gddTx3ig56cNjP5tK2XE2aEWMXV4lRb7xBwh3J04JtB0--h6ehs1O3-Ry1crHfZ1HH84vqjFjKMBY

The current one in BDB is based more on this drawing (which is the cover art for the Big G '69 report, btw, so I trust it more)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Big_Gemini.png