[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

5 minutes ago, GJdude said:

I've noticed the MOS space station modules don't provide any habitation space yet, which makes using them with USI a little tricky. Is that something we can expect to come with the release?

Uhhh... if someone updates the USI LS configs before then. (We don't really maintain compatibility internally, there's a lot of mods that the dev team doesn't use)

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

HsXjquc.png

Ok, Loving the Zinc Chromate Green.  Loving the Stainless rear (it was a foil but we know how *AMAZING* the texture control is with the stock stuff.....   So Good choice going with the look.)   What I really love however (aside from Delta P getting their own correct tanks that is!) is the CROSS HATCH between the 4 restart and RCS tanks!

20 minutes ago, Carni35 said:

Awesome work ! Can't wait the release ^^

Just by curiosity, I see that the Dev build is near twice the size of the latest release.

BDB will be lot more heavy or is it just due to the Dev build version ?

It will be heavier - a lot of the parts that got replaced were using textures much too small for their surface area, plus there are a lot of new parts added (I think the total is around 180 new or remade parts), plus there are texture variants for some of the new parts. With that said I'm not sure what the actual game impact will be, since download size / size on hard disk =/= RAM usage or performance, as I understand it.

As always you can prune the mod by deleting folders you don't want within the "Parts" folders. Some of them have subfolders now as well - for example, you can go into Bluedog_DB/Parts/Titan/Paint and delete entire paint scheme folders that you aren't interested in. Modular, prunable paint variants - who'd have thought! :)

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Pappystein I got sent these by @MKSheppard (maintainer of the fantastic AlternateWars website) and thought you might appreciate them. :)

k6Qkw7v.png

I find it interesting that the reason for the AUXILIARY fuel tanks on the AJ260s was primarily to allow the thrust structure to attach at the S-IC/S-II Thrust pass through structure (the top of the S-IC tank as I understand it.)  But in this image we can clearly see the Aux tanks get to has high as the top of the MS-IIA stage!   

It looks like those might not be AJ260s but rather some alternative (segmented 260"???  IDK just a random thought.)

And thanks for sharing!

Edited by Pappystein

@CobaltWolf Amazing mod! I would say this mod is one of the Best ones out there!
I have a couple of suggestions:

Suggestions

Spoiler

1. Add Textures Unlimited (TU) Compatibillity. That would make this Already Amazing mod Hyper.
2. Add a Optional Real Sizes patch (Make all the Parts Real names, sizes, and stats,  not the fuels, I Myself would not change the fuels, its a pain in the neck to do so).

Edited by IronKerbal

Every time you post new previews, I say to myself, "Well, there's another mod I don't have to keep installed because of literally one part."  The Titan IV in particular is something I use constantly, and having a version that fits in with the BDB aesthetic will be awesome.

Oh, here's three screenshots, of which at least one will be worth anything:

Spoiler

An on-label use for BDB parts:  Rigging up an American-as-apple-pie version of the Russian half of the ISS:

5yPCiS5.png

And an off-label use:  Using an Atlas V to accidentally the universe.

YoC6gL7.png

...and subsequently discovering that the degree to which I accidentally the universe was far greater than I had initially anticipated:

8Qul9sl.png

Spoiler
2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Delta P, Delta K

qWDNe2Y.png

WIP AJ10-118F, AJ10-118K

Bbmcq5e.png

Is the Delta-K ( and presumably the Delta-P as well ) still going to consist of 5 parts or will the part count be trimmed down a bit?

Unrelated, but I'm Confused about the Orbus-6. According to this site: http://www.braeunig.us/space/specs/ius.htm, the Orbus 6 came in two varieties, with and without the nozzle extension. The one in the mod seems to have the performance of the former, but the appearance of the latter. I don't know if that site has the most accurate numbers or information, but most sources I've found don't even list two versions and most give either ~290s or ~304s for specific impulse and only show the extendable nozzle, so who knows?

12 minutes ago, Mudwig said:

Unrelated, but I'm Confused about the Orbus-6. According to this site: http://www.braeunig.us/space/specs/ius.htm, the Orbus 6 came in two varieties, with and without the nozzle extension. The one in the mod seems to have the performance of the former, but the appearance of the latter. I don't know if that site has the most accurate numbers or information, but most sources I've found don't even list two versions and most give either ~290s or ~304s for specific impulse and only show the extendable nozzle, so who knows?

I think you're right. I found two more well regarded sources that give around 300ish Isp for the 6E. Will make that change. the Spacelaunch report card shows 301 while the table on B14643 gives 303.6s (when converted to s). 

http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets/Specials/P&W_ORBUS_motor/index.htm

Titan-4B-Card.jpg

[Alternate History]

With the Atlas CELV being a huge success, NASA moved on to their next project, Saturn I and Saturn V. Well into the project they found a problem with the Saturn I first stage, delaying it for another couple months. This did not bode well for the project. This would push them back for the launch of the Saturn V if they could not test the CM and LM in orbit around Earth. A decision was made that the CM, LM, the newly finished second stage of the Saturn I and the newly finished third stage of the Saturn V, would be tested using the Atlas CELV. The numbers were crunched and they found that if they didn't ditch the skirt stage at all, it would have the power needed to send both stages into orbit. Two test were conducted, both unmanned and with no payload. The Saturn Atlas was born. 

(Left: Saturn Atlas IB
Right: Saturn Atlas I)

How to make:
Saturn Atlas I - Simply use the Herakles' Interstage to connect the Saturn S-IV to the Atlas CELV. Set the interstage to white and no vents. Also don't forget to remove the stubs on the S-IV by removing the shroud. Makes it look cleaner.
Saturn Atlas IB - This one takes a few more parts. Attach a 3.75 structural support tube to the interstage node of the S-IVB. Then attach a 3.75 decoupler (I used stock version) to the bottom of the tube. Then take the S-IV interstage, flip it upside down, then attach to the decoupler. Afterwards, disable the decoupler in the S-IV interstage. 

ac7ltcs.jpg

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

WIP AJ10-118F, AJ10-118K

Nice, but I don't think I like the paneling on AJ-10-118K, and the spheres on the stages should be black. The red stuff is just protective covering (I think I had a picture with it off, but I can't find it now). Also, what's the idea behind the green stripe on the AJ-10-118F? 

One more thing, here's an idea. Since you remade Saturn engines, think you could remake the ones for the LEM, too? In particular, Delta P used leftover LMDEs for propulsion.

Edited by Guest

A last minute addition to this release, some custom engine lighting configs for BDB cryogenic engines.

J2

CXj27XXl.png

J2T

pwMBe4Ml.png

And a few kerolox engines that behaved badly when clustered had their light intensity brought under control, in particular the F1

before

H0kxAzEl.png

after

WBA83CUl.png

16 hours ago, IronKerbal said:

@CobaltWolf Amazing mod! I would say this mod is one of the Best ones out there!
I have a couple of suggestions:

Suggestions

Reveal hidden contents

1. Add Textures Unlimited (TU) Compatibillity. That would make this Already Amazing mod Hyper.
2. Add a Optional Real Sizes patch (Make all the Parts Real names, sizes, and stats,  not the fuels, I Myself would not change the fuels, its a pain in the neck to do so).

I honestly have no interest in doing... either of those things, sadly. I will be converting everything to PBR maps once KSP2 comes out but I don't plan on backporting it to KSP1. Plus, I don't know what kind of PBR workflow KSP2 will use yet so I don't want to start on that until I have to.

13 hours ago, rougeaux said:

Every time you post new previews, I say to myself, "Well, there's another mod I don't have to keep installed because of literally one part."  The Titan IV in particular is something I use constantly, and having a version that fits in with the BDB aesthetic will be awesome.

Oh, here's three screenshots, of which at least one will be worth anything:

Reveal hidden contents

An on-label use for BDB parts:  Rigging up an American-as-apple-pie version of the Russian half of the ISS:

5yPCiS5.png

And an off-label use:  Using an Atlas V to accidentally the universe.

YoC6gL7.png

...and subsequently discovering that the degree to which I accidentally the universe was far greater than I had initially anticipated:

8Qul9sl.png

That Skylab build it really cool! Not, uh, as sure about the other two :)

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

[Alternate History]

With the Atlas CELV being a huge success, NASA moved on to their next project, Saturn I and Saturn V. Well into the project they found a problem with the Saturn I first stage, delaying it for another couple months. This did not bode well for the project. This would push them back for the launch of the Saturn V if they could not test the CM and LM in orbit around Earth. A decision was made that the CM, LM, the newly finished second stage of the Saturn I and the newly finished third stage of the Saturn V, would be tested using the Atlas CELV. The numbers were crunched and they found that if they didn't ditch the skirt stage at all, it would have the power needed to send both stages into orbit. Two test were conducted, both unmanned and with no payload. The Saturn Atlas was born. 

(Left: Saturn Atlas IB
Right: Saturn Atlas I)

How to make:
Saturn Atlas I - Simply use the Herakles' Interstage to connect the Saturn S-IV to the Atlas CELV. Set the interstage to white and no vents. Also don't forget to remove the stubs on the S-IV by removing the shroud. Makes it look cleaner.
Saturn Atlas IB - This one takes a few more parts. Attach a 3.75 structural support tube to the interstage node of the S-IVB. Then attach a 3.75 decoupler (I used stock version) to the bottom of the tube. Then take the S-IV interstage, flip it upside down, then attach to the decoupler. Afterwards, disable the decoupler in the S-IV interstage. 

~snip~

That's awesome! I hope the skirt isn't too much dead weight.

8 hours ago, Mudwig said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Is the Delta-K ( and presumably the Delta-P as well ) still going to consist of 5 parts or will the part count be trimmed down a bit?

Uhm... hehehehe... that's the bad news. I ran into an issue: In order to get the proper proportions (and to have them not all be the same diameter), the Delta K had to essentially get merged into one part? Well, the tanks are one part. The Miniskirt and the avionics are separate. One cool thing about this - I was able to make a 1.875m miniskirt and that was cool. The problem is the Delta E/P need to be between 0.625m and 0.9375m, and the Delta K needs to be between 0.9375m and 1.25m. I fought to keep them legoable but it just wasn't in the cards.

4 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

Nice, but I don't think I like the paneling on AJ-10-118K, and the spheres on the stages should be black. The red stuff is just protective covering (I think I had a picture with it off, but I can't find it now). Also, what's the idea behind the green stripe on the AJ-10-118F? 

One more thing, here's an idea. Since you remade Saturn engines, think you could remake the ones for the LEM, too? In particular, Delta P used leftover LMDEs for propulsion.

I don't love the 'paneling' on the 118K nozzle but... idk it's accurate. I'll wait and see if it grows on me.

I did have the spheres gunmetal gray, someone asked what they looked like closer to the original color scheme and I tried it. Forgot to remove it before taking the pictures.

The AJ10-118F is a Transtage engine with the nozzle extension cut down from 40:1 to 26:1. I had to guess at the shape, but I matched the color scheme of the Transtage engine. If you have better reference for what a Transtage engine should look like... uh, well, I guess we're getting a hotfix lol since that stuff is content locked now.

I am definitely considering redoing the LEM engines cus I checked the LMDE on the Delta P and... yeah... it was *bad*. I just worry about making decisions about stuff like the mounting solutions without knowing what the new LEM will look like. Idk, is the TR-201 substantially different from the LMDE in any way that would make sense to just have it as a separate part..?

Edited by CobaltWolf

54 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

That's awesome! I hope the skirt isn't too much dead weight.

Not at all, the Saturn Atlas 1 I launched with Apollo on top of it. At seperation the atlas still had dV in it actually. Haven't tested the Saturn IB with CM and LM yet. Will provide update when I can.

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I am definitely considering redoing the LEM engines cus I checked the LMDE on the Delta P and... yeah... it was *bad*. I just worry about making decisions about stuff like the mounting solutions without knowing what the new LEM will look like. Idk, is the TR-201 substantially different from the LMDE in any way that would make sense to just have it as a separate part..?

Somewhere I have a Delta P TR-201 as seperate from the LMDE TR-201.  There WERE changes mostly due to throttling (lower weight on the Delta P version)  And a few other things.   Let me see what the CFG had pre NERF....

Spoiler

@name = Delta_TRW201_x
@title = Sina-MEM-201
%manufacturer = Pafftek Enterprises in conjunction with Bluedog Design Bureau
%description = Main engine for the Daleth-F+ upper stage. A further advancement on the Sina-MEM-DPS Descent Propulsion System
%mass = 0.123
%maxTemp = 3100
%cost = 980
%techRequired = heavierRocketry
%tags = delta daleth lfo liquid upper stage engine efficient vacuum aj10 Delta-P 0.9375 09375
    @MODULE[ModuleEngine*]
    {
        @maxThrust = 33
        !atmosphereCurve {}
        atmosphereCurve
        {
            key = 0 319
            key = 1 90
            key = 3 0.001
        }
    }
}

Compared to (only copying the priority points)

Spoiler

mass = 0.22

cost = 200

atmosphereCurve
        {
            key = 0 311
            key = 1 85
            key = 3 0.001
        }

So in the end we have a more expensive engine (It was just slightly more expensive than the base model when I built my version) and the ISP is higher due to the lighter weight as well as the removal of throttling capability.   IIRC the Sina-MEM-DPS did get a thrust buff before the recent round of changes to stages....  I want to say it was 32 or 31 prior to all the changes... But I am unsure.

Model wise... there are no VISIBLE differences that are not covered up by the Delta tankage or the Lander structure/tankage.