[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, TheRedTom said:

Maybe if we ask @benjee10 very nicely he'll make an adaptor for his shuttle

Can neither confirm nor deny that I will absolutely be doing this

Will wait for Cobalt to finalize his textures though as I'd like to match them as closely as possible. 

@CobaltWolf since your'e doing Commercial Titan III, you should also consider a nice, thermal-blanketed Star-63D (also known as PAM-D2):
pam-d2__1.jpg

You know, just in case someone wanted a wimpier Titan upper stage than TOS. :) Interestingly, the first launch of Commercial Titan III was actually a dual-payload launch, with one satellite riding on a PAM-D2 and the other on Orbus-7S. I'm still trying to find any info on how exactly that was set up. Well, that and a picture of Orbus-7S. 

16 hours ago, hieywiey said:

Will there be a Twitch stream tonight?

No, sorry. I had a sucky night Monday and sucky day yesterday. I'm not sure if I'll be home early enough tonight or tomorrow to stream. Keep an eye on the thread.

16 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

@CobaltWolf since your'e doing Commercial Titan III, you should also consider a nice, thermal-blanketed Star-63D (also known as PAM-D2):

You know, just in case someone wanted a wimpier Titan upper stage than TOS. :) Interestingly, the first launch of Commercial Titan III was actually a dual-payload launch, with one satellite riding on a PAM-D2 and the other on Orbus-7S. I'm still trying to find any info on how exactly that was set up. Well, that and a picture of Orbus-7S. 

I like the Star-63 but I don't have a texture sheet with space and it's a little... idk there's enough kick solids for the time being. :)

RE: Orbus, gotchu fam.

Orbus-7S.jpg

15 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Great to FINALLY see a stockalike IUS coming to KSP.

Also, off topic, but wasn't there a mod for Big Gemini (service module, LES, etc)?

NVM

TRAILS had the Big G LES but it's abandoned now.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

RE: Orbus, gotchu fam.

It's not actually an Orbus-7S. It's SR-73, aka. Minuteman 3 third stage. Now, Orbus-7S is a derivative of SR-73, but I have no idea what changes were there. In particular, I doubt Orbus-7S was painted bright green. They do have very similar thrust, so the nozzle is probably more or less similar, as well. 

Aside from the nozzle, LEO-7 from Super Strypi might be closer to Orbus-7S (as flown on Titan) than SR-73. However, it seems to be longer than Orbus-7S, and I'm not sure whether the all of the extra length comes from the nozzle redesign. Of note is that SR-73 was not spin-stabilized (I'm not quite sure, but it looks like it used LITVC, like SR-19), while LEO-7 and Orbus-7S both were. 

Making Orbus-7S makes sense alongside either Super Strypi or Minotaur I. 

Edited by Guest

There are precious few images of Orbus-7S, but the best bet I have found was from the STS-51-I mission, which repaired Syncom IV-3:

51i-41-058-sts-51i-leasat-3-repairs-duri

The HS-381 sats were wide, and were mounted with their long axis aligned with the shuttle's cargo bay, and had no solid motor aft of the aft-most solar cells.

1 hour ago, Dragon01 said:

Making Orbus-7S makes sense alongside either Super Strypi or Minotaur I. 

Sadly, my time isn't unlimited. :)

Some more preproduction on the next update, been thinking about the Redstone lately...

A-7 engine. I was thinking of having it be like Taerobee V-2 where there's a shrouded and unshrouded variant. Thus...

ruwBuUE.png

Top biew of the stack, just wanted to demonstrate the profile of the fins.

kUpchO8.png

As before, the fins are separate - so they can be used elsewhere. The thrust vanes will be integral similar to the implementation on the Scout's first stage.

5s5vfPp.png

ZgM2Ql8.png

I don't really want to include missile hardware, but I've been thinking about these since I learned about them...
The Redstone air-vanes combine little control surfaces, with attitude jets! The 'nozzles' just look like threaded nuts IRL for some reason?

Nuha0kE.png

However, while the Juno-1 deleted the fins, the attitude jets remained. I figure we can just use the air vanes instead?
This time around, there will be a proper 1.25m avionics core and a proper nose adapter, similar to the old FASA one.

NwiBOdp.png

The Mercury-Redstone will also have a proper equipment section instead of an extra fuel tank like the current version.
Maybe a little single use, but it's such an iconic rocket and I don't want the current unintuitive setup to persist.

j12wNuo.png

Now, for something that's actually coming this update! If anyone missed what @hieywiey was asking about on Monday, I was working on some new probe cores recently...

TRYP Probe Core. The ring on the top is 0.3125m but it feels bigger than the early game probes. Idk what it's useful for but it looks cool. Small comm sats?

pSHJQuG.png

NON Probe Core. Based on the OSO satellite series.

Oyri6lI.png

MIP Probe Core. Based on the AIMP series of probes that NASA launched in the 60s.

KICkE9i.png

On 6/11/2019 at 4:46 AM, Dragon01 said:

Don't be mean. :) Wolfy's far ahead of MH. 

Err Far Far and Away ahead????   I dare say!  

Although there are SOME parts in Making History that are nice and unique (the completely generic engine plates.)   But yes ~90% of Making History is already done better in BDB and Cobalt is currently making many of those parts YET AGAIN Better (Titan!)

Although, while I haven't had a chance to play KSP since Breaking-Ground released... I look foward to playing with that.   I hope it is easy to convert either the Breaking Ground science to work with KIS/KAS or bring Cobalt's Surface Experiment mod up to BG connectivity standards (so that I don't need KIS/KAS anymore.)   That is because the large colection of mods I have do not play nice when I install either/both KIS/KAS.   Again I haven't looked at it hard yet as I am busy in Battletech Urban Ops ATM (yes Citys and Zergling/Tyranid endless enemy Combats!)

Generic engine plates are more Nertea's thing, TBH. :) Though that's about the only part of use in there. We need more of those in ReStock+...

14 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I don't really want to include missile hardware, but I've been thinking about these since I learned about them...
The Redstone air-vanes combine little control surfaces, with attitude jets! The 'nozzles' just look like threaded nuts IRL for some reason?

This is probably because of how they were installed. Remember, Redstone was a rather crude design, about one step from V-2. Those nozzles were, most likely, literally screwed into the gas lines with a wrench.

The Mercury avionics core could actually be very useful as a heavy, early-tech rocket control unit. Not in unmodded tech tree, but modded ones might get some mileage out of it. IMO, there should be more emphasis on the fact that pre-IC electronics were heavy

Also don't forget about Redstone-Sparta. :) WRESAT would make a good addition to BDB's payload roster, as well.

wresat2.jpg

14 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

TRYP Probe Core. The ring on the top is 0.3125m but it feels bigger than the early game probes. Idk what it's useful for but it looks cool. Small comm sats?

pSHJQuG.png

1) I went looking for a way to make your time unlimited.   Do you have any Infinity Stones?   :P

2) more seriously,  Any chance you can make all 6 edges of the Tryp surface attachable so that I can put a rod inside my Cargo Envelope with a bunch of those thin side to a decoupler?   I could see it used as a cluster launch with a Solar on each of the broad sides (each is aproximatly 0.5m across at it's widest that allows stacks of 3 on a simple pole/beam attached on a 1.5m or larger upper stage base.    Eg Delta or Titan.   It would taking some doing but you could launch 3 6 or 9 sat constellations on a single titan launch with those.   3x pancakes would allow room for Solar pannels (surface or tracking) and with enough space between each pancake of Satellites you would have enough room for a small Solid Kick.  And the other two narrow sides can be used to mount whip/blade type antennas.

3) The new redstone parts.   I know your opinion on the weapon side and agree with you.   However those are some snazzy looking parts that have a lot of peaceful uses I can see.   And I do like the fact that the A-6/A-7 Engine is expose-able.   Big curiosity question.   Will we see the Higher thrust A-6 (that was less reliable) or the lower thrust A-7?    Or maybe an upgrade from A-6 to A-7 after start?  Allows explodie early probes and when Mercury is unlocked the engine no longer explodes easy(overheat) but rather has a bit lower thrust?   It would be historically accurate.

3A)  Just want to make certain I read it right.  The Engine guide vains are now part of the engine itself and not the Redstone fins?

4) Any planned uses for the various Redstone GCU (Guidance Control Units) you mentioned?    Or are they there more for "correct build" than actual flight purpose?

2 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Also don't forget about Redstone-Sparta. :) WRESAT would make a good addition to BDB's payload roster, as well.

wresat2.jpg

Wait, you mean it isn't just a scaled up BDB Pioneer 14 probe?   Oops :)

I have been using a 3x rescale (I think) of the Pioneer 14 fat conical BDB probe as a Wresat analog.   It works... Ish (and no I still don't mean my Great grandma Ish!)

It was a Photo probe like Pioneer 14 so It is fitting that a scaled up Pioneer 14 does an "OK-ish" job

17 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

It's not actually an Orbus-7S. It's SR-73, aka. Minuteman 3 third stage. Now, Orbus-7S is a derivative of SR-73, but I have no idea what changes were there. In particular, I doubt Orbus-7S was painted bright green. They do have very similar thrust, so the nozzle is probably more or less similar, as well.

A lot of Military Rockets and their Civilian "extrapolation" are the same exact rocket.   The name and minor greebles are changed so it can get past being called a "weapon" for international relations/treaties.    A few years ago I had to deal with a Simulation that was considered a "weapon" for export.... Same thing just different application.  

TBC just because certain parts (CASTOR 120) are "an evolution of" existing technology and not the exact same part (SR118 and SR119) does not mean all Military parts that are "evolved/updated" into Civilian parts are or have huge changes.   I don't know the Orbus-7S from bob so I can't provide info other than to say since it looks like a duck it might ACTUALLY be a Duck.... unlike Castor 120... which while it looks like a duck, is more a wooden decoy of a duck than a real duck. 

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

New probe cores look great Cobalt! Like a lot of people, I'm quite taken with the Tryp. Looks v cool.

Zorg, what a nice simple advertisement Video.  well done.

except when I watched it my Satellite efficiency OCD kicked in.  "A side with no science on it other than an antenna.......   NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:>

Why don't these forums use the CORRECT and ORIGINAL grin emoji?   Why do they have to use Big smile Emoji for Grin?   you all realize they aren't the same yes?

13 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Zorg, what a nice simple advertisement Video.  well done.

except when I watched it my Satellite efficiency OCD kicked in.  "A side with no science on it other than an antenna.......   NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Embrace the asymmetry :P

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

TBC just because certain parts (CASTOR 120) are "an evolution of" existing technology and not the exact same part (SR118 and SR119) does not mean all Military parts that are "evolved/updated" into Civilian parts are or have huge changes.   I don't know the Orbus-7S from bob so I can't provide info other than to say since it looks like a duck it might ACTUALLY be a Duck.... unlike Castor 120... which while it looks like a duck, is more a wooden decoy of a duck than a real duck. 

At the very least, SR-73 has LITVC while Orbus-7S doesn't. This is clear from looking at satellite pictures where it's integrated. Second, SR-73 flew exposed while Orbus-7S was launched under a fairing, and might have used a TOS-style gold foil in that case (just like it did when integrated into the satellite). Thrust curve probably also differs (it's a pretty common thing to alter), though this is harder to find info on.

Edited by Guest

On 6/12/2019 at 3:33 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Some more preproduction on the next update, been thinking about the Redstone lately...

A-7 engine. I was thinking of having it be like Taerobee V-2 where there's a shrouded and unshrouded variant. Thus...

(snippy of engines)

Top biew of the stack, just wanted to demonstrate the profile of the fins.

Ahhhhh CW that's fantastic, I want to say i'm a huge fan of the idea of engines standing on their own, or alternative models.

I've been very slowly meandering my way around a tech tree that has the goal of a realistic progression mixed with a genuine Lego mindset - not just putting together pre-designed ships, but mixing ideal engines with engine plates and procedural tanks to shape your own "titan" or "redstone".

The cornerstone of the idea, to me, is to use the tech tree to progress the actual engines - invest science in them to improve them, much as was done in real life - an evolving engineering growth in rocket engine power.

I cannot tell you how great it is, with the idea centered around BDB, to have the engine options and "unique designs" you're catering to - the single LR87, standalone a7 etc etc, you have no idea what a fantastic gift of work this is, even just in general!

Wanted to stream some IUS work last night, wound up spending another evening in the hospital with my SO. Still no answers as to what's going on >.<

On 6/13/2019 at 1:12 AM, Zorg said:

New probe cores look great Cobalt! Like a lot of people, I'm quite taken with the Tryp. Looks v cool.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:14 AM, DriftedCougar said:

the TRYP might make an iridium sattelite...the earlier one i mean

On 6/13/2019 at 7:49 AM, Zorg said:

Embrace the asymmetry :P

Somewhat surprised how much love the TRYP is getting - glad I made it! :)

On 6/13/2019 at 7:34 AM, Pappystein said:

A lot of Military Rockets and their Civilian "extrapolation" are the same exact rocket.   The name and minor greebles are changed so it can get past being called a "weapon" for international relations/treaties.    A few years ago I had to deal with a Simulation that was considered a "weapon" for export.... Same thing just different application.  

On 6/13/2019 at 8:52 AM, Dragon01 said:

At the very least, SR-73 has LITVC while Orbus-7S doesn't. This is clear from looking at satellite pictures where it's integrated. Second, SR-73 flew exposed while Orbus-7S was launched under a fairing, and might have used a TOS-style gold foil in that case (just like it did when integrated into the satellite). Thrust curve probably also differs (it's a pretty common thing to alter), though this is harder to find info on.

In any case, no intention of making an Orbus-7S any time soon. We need to focus on bigger things for now. :)

13 hours ago, Lucius said:

Ahhhhh CW that's fantastic, I want to say i'm a huge fan of the idea of engines standing on their own, or alternative models.

I've been very slowly meandering my way around a tech tree that has the goal of a realistic progression mixed with a genuine Lego mindset - not just putting together pre-designed ships, but mixing ideal engines with engine plates and procedural tanks to shape your own "titan" or "redstone".

The cornerstone of the idea, to me, is to use the tech tree to progress the actual engines - invest science in them to improve them, much as was done in real life - an evolving engineering growth in rocket engine power.

I cannot tell you how great it is, with the idea centered around BDB, to have the engine options and "unique designs" you're catering to - the single LR87, standalone a7 etc etc, you have no idea what a fantastic gift of work this is, even just in general!

I'm glad they're all appreciated and not just thought of as bloat. :)

5 hours ago, Beale said:

These new probe cores are flawless.

Might we one day see a full set of the same profile to create our own LADEE? :wink:

Hmm, I thought LADEE was someone else's job..? :huh:

11 hours ago, Einstein_Cross_X1 said:

Any one else having issues with parts not loading at startup with the most recent version of module manager? Are there any solutions to this?

Can you post the KSP.log file from your main directory?