[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

Since we discussed it on stream I thought I would update yall here too. 

I knew you'd get to it eventually. :) Looks great. Don't forget that the hydrazine "pill" tanks in the DCSS interstage should be black, not red. I'm especially looking forward to seeing the RS-68 boattail. That thing is so hard to get right... Don't spare the polygons if you need them. :) 

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

Screenshot_2020-08-28_20.00.38.png?width

RS-68C Regenerative

Isn't that actually an RS-83 if it is regenerative Cooled?  

For those not in the know, RS-83 is a RS-68 that has regenerative cooling and re-usability for the old 2002 erra SLI program (Space Launch Initiative)   I think it was to be capable of deep throttling to less than 25% as well, vs the standard RS-68's ~45%).   And as I said on stream earlier Zorg, GREAT WORK.  

While Delta IV is very VERY MEH to me, the DCSS and the RS68 are some of my favorite modern parts.... (yeah go figure  Ignoring the CCB tanks I like all the parts...   Must be because it has NOTHING to do with Delta and it is called Delta! )

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

Lookin' good! What fuel is the RS68 going to use?

It had better be Hydrolox :D   Although if I recall correctly there was a proposal for a Methalox version as well....  

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Stream done for today! Got the Centaur T in game as well as a truss switch for the Centaur D Avionics!

Wpdj3ON.png

I forgot to ask, Did you get the 6 person Nintendo Game Cube working on that Centaur D-1T?

22 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Vulcan 1st stage is essentially a Methalox CCB with twin BE-4s instead of an RS-68. :) Haven't heard of a methalox RS-68, though.

What I remember (and I am decidedly going from memory)   When Methalox was "first" looked into around 2000 the RS-68 was floated as an "easy to adapt" engine...      I don't know how completely re-engineering an engine is "easy to adapt" but whatever!

TBC I doubt any engineering actually happened on such an engine.  But who knows.  In the chaos of what 4 mergers/spinnoffs in the last 25 years there are likely a lot of Rocketdyne documents we will never see.....

:D

3 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Sooo.... next is BDB Delta IV? YEEHAW!!!

What would you give you that idea? :D

1 hour ago, Dragon01 said:

I knew you'd get to it eventually. :) Looks great. Don't forget that the hydrazine "pill" tanks in the DCSS interstage should be black, not red. I'm especially looking forward to seeing the RS-68 boattail. That thing is so hard to get right... Don't spare the polygons if you need them. :) 

My understanding is that the pill bottles were all Helium pressurant bottles? And yeah the boattail will be tricky for clean geometry :/ 

2 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Lookin' good! What fuel is the RS68 going to use?

It will be hydrolox of course, BDB has native hydrolox configs.

29 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Isn't that actually an RS-83 if it is regenerative Cooled?  

For those not in the know, RS-83 is a RS-68 that has regenerative cooling and re-usability for the old 2002 erra SLI program (Space Launch Initiative)   I think it was to be capable of deep throttling to less than 25% as well, vs the standard RS-68's ~45%).   And as I said on stream earlier Zorg, GREAT WORK.  

I'll be honest I had missed the connection there. I was under the impression a regen nozzle for RS68 was vaguely discussed during the Constellation era? I didnt find much in the way of sources though. In any case the original constellation white ablative nozzle is planned.

I kind of winged the nozzle, directly SSME inspired. Glad to see the look of the nozzle isnt too far off. That said the RS83 powerhead even if derived from the RS68 looks quite different. Not sure I would call the regen version in game that, I'm thinking even a fictional C designation might be more appropriate. 

rs-83-prototype-engine-n.jpg

27 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

This could work well with reDIRECT, just wanted to ask about the engine mounts. Is there gonna be a 4 mount variant?

If you are considering building the Exploration Upper Stage, NFLV (and restock+, but why wouldn't you?) has all the necessary parts for doing so.

31 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Why would there be a 5M DCSS, isn't it just 3.125 in Kerbal Scale.

Yes, it will be 3.125m in KSP. He's calling it 5m DCSS because that's the name of it. 5m DCSS.

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

This could work well with reDIRECT, just wanted to ask about the engine mounts. Is there gonna be a 4 mount variant?

There was never a 4 engine DCSS. You're thinking of the brand new Exploration Upper Stage which will be a lot bigger than the 5m DCSS. The EUS is 8.4 meters which would be 5 meters in KSP. DCSS is 3.125 meters in KSP.

Edited by GoldForest

7 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

There was never a 4 engine DCSS. You're thinking of the brand new Exploration Upper Stage which will be a lot bigger than the 5m DCSS. The EUS is 8.4 meters which would be 5 meters in KSP. DCSS is 3.125 meters in KSP.

Ah, I thought it was an EUS. My bad.

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

So...

Is @CobaltWolf Doing only historical stuff from Delta III back and @Zorg Doing Delta IV up? Or is the Delta IV going to be a one off rocket from you @Zorg?

I literally havent given a thought to anything apart from Delta IV, Mariner 10 and the remaining fairings and structural bits listed on github. Theres no fixed division of labour as such, I will be contributing more in the future but idk what. If you're asking if I am going to be doing other modern rockets the answer is no. Delta IV is being made because Atlas V (being the other original EELV) is also in BDB and I thought it would be nice to round off the big Delta update with the final one. Its also nearly a historical rocket at this point with 5 launches left ( :( ).

3 hours ago, alberro+ said:

I think others have cleared up the confusion. I just wanted to point out that the main difference between Delta IV DCSS and the ICPS used on SLS is a slightly stretched hydrogen tank which I think I might add in as a variant.

45 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I literally havent given a thought to anything apart from Delta IV, Mariner 10 and the remaining fairings and structural bits listed on github. Theres no fixed division of labour as such, I will be contributing more in the future but idk what. If you're asking if I am going to be doing other modern rockets the answer is no. Delta IV is being made because Atlas V (being the other original EELV) is also in BDB and I thought it would be nice to round off the big Delta update with the final one. Its also nearly a historical rocket at this point with 5 launches left ( :( ).

Its a real shame. I would have liked to have seen modern rockets done in BDB style. STS, SLS, Falcon 9, Vulcan, etc. Especially STS. 

46 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I think others have cleared up the confusion. I just wanted to point out that the main difference between Delta IV DCSS and the ICPS used on SLS is a slightly stretched hydrogen tank which I think I might add in as a variant.

Hmmm, question on 5m DCSS, you show it as one part, but are you planning on splitting it up for modularity or no?

53 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Especially STS. 

Look no further:

This is actually very close to BDB in style, and this guy had also made an SLS, though that one could use some updates. As for Vulcan, when Nertea makes his methalox BE-4, it would be a matter of adding a dual engine mount for Delta IV tanks (useful in general) and a texture option for Delta IV tanks, because Vulcan is going to use that. As for Space-X, there's a dedicated mod just for that. If it revamped some older parts (mainly removing premade engine clusters), it'd be almost BDB-level.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Its a real shame. I would have liked to have seen modern rockets done in BDB style. STS, SLS, Falcon 9, Vulcan, etc. Especially STS. 

Yeah those are all way out of scope for BDB :P. Its probably only a matter of time before someone makes a stockalike Vulcan, Tundra's F9 is excellent imo and idk how Benjee's STS could leave anyone anyone wanting, that texture is beyond my level for sure. Its a shame reDirect doesnt have EUS but like I said its really not on the cards.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Hmmm, question on 5m DCSS, you show it as one part, but are you planning on splitting it up for modularity or no?

Not decided yet, but I will be investigating the possibilities. Theres a couple of factors that make it a bit tricky including the various connections from the interstage stuff to the upper tank, and not wanting to cut the upper tank in half due to how the texture might look. But I think something can be worked out. Most likely the hydrogen tank will be separate and I can mess with the connection termination points a little to make sure its legoable with other tanks (LDC etc)

Edited by Zorg

8 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Look no further:

This is actually very close to BDB in style, and this guy had also made an SLS, though that one could use some updates. As for Vulcan, when Nertea makes his methalox BE-4, it would be a matter of adding a dual engine mount for Delta IV tanks (useful in general) and a texture option for Delta IV tanks, because Vulcan is going to use that. As for Space-X, there's a dedicated mod just for that. If it revamped some older parts (mainly removing premade engine clusters), it'd be almost BDB-level.

Hmm, I'll give it a try. 

7 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Yeah those are all way out of scope for BDB :P. Its probably only a matter of time before someone makes a stockalike Vulcan, Tundra's F9 is excellent imo and idk how Benjee's STS could leave anyone anyone wanting, that texture is beyond my level for sure. Its a shame reDirect doesnt have EUS but like I said its really not on the cards.

I do use Tundra, but I would like a BDB styled F9. 

7 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Not decided yet, but I will be investigating the possibilities. Theres a couple of factors that make it a bit tricky including the various connections from the interstage stuff to the upper tank, and not wanting to cut the upper tank in half due to how the texture might look. But I think something can be worked out. Most likely the hydrogen tank will be separate and I can mess with the connection termination points a little to make sure its legoable with other tanks (LDC etc)

Hmmm, look into the SLS mod. It splits the stage up into five parts. The upper tank, the lower tank, the truss, the helium tanks, and the wiring. I think that's a little much. I think just the upper tank, the truss, and the lower tank would do good. As for the wiring, B9Partswitch that. Like a lot of the part do. Have the wiring and tubes be able to turn on and off through the menu. 

Delta III DCSS isn't split, so I don't think this one should be, either. This type of stage does work best as a single part. COM shift is ignored that way, but it will not be an issue.

FYI, he's talking about the lower stage. This one has some connector issues, and B9PS would indeed be a solution to that. That, or autoshrouds (that can be turned off), like on other BDB parts.

Edited by Guest

18 hours ago, Zorg said:

Mariner 10 might be a little delayed but er I am concentrating on this for the moment:

Screenshot_2020-08-28_20.00.27.png?width

RS-68 ( 68,68A and white nozzle 68B)

Screenshot_2020-08-28_20.00.38.png?width

RS-68C Regenerative

Screenshot_2020-08-30_00.05.49.png?width

and 5 meter DCSS :) 

Screenshot_2020-08-30_00.06.05.png?width

OMG

12 minutes ago, northern said:

on the prebuilt Atlas V 5m faring there is a switch for Faring extension length, this seems to make no difference to anything?

Also I love the new Centaur G

It makes no difference in the default shortest length, but if you lengthen it by adding segments, the switch should swap out the size of those additional segments.