[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

21 hours ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

:o it’s coming!!!

Any plans on all the parts you’ll include? Full Integrated Program Plan or just focused on some of the more basic proposals?

Not doing IPP, too much new hardware. I'd rather focus on stuff that adds more legoing opportunities to the parts I'm already making. For ex eventually I'd like to do LM variants.

21 hours ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Saturn Multibody or riot

Yeah, it's coming, probably with some more sensible paint/color schemes. Probably just a variant of the S-1E (Saturn 1C) tank.

10 hours ago, derega16 said:

About uprated saturn V, will we get dual F-1 mount for V-24(L), Comet, Jarvis and C-3 or a quad coupler for V-4(X)?

I don't know yet, starting off we're mostly going to be focusing on revamping the existing parts, only new ones will be ones either needed to be more accurate or ones that are "low hanging fruit"... I'm probably going to try and do LDC-style variants for the S-IVB engine mount, for example.

8 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

I know everyone is hyped about the Saturn revamp, but with the atlas revamp be adding the changes visible on Atlas E/F, namely the dual fuel pipes into the slightly modified booster skirt, and that big bulge on the side?

I believe so. There is a Github issue listed, but I don't know all that Zorg is interested in doing (and of course, sometimes you don't get to everything you want since other projects take your attention)

If anyone hasn't seen it, there is a public google doc for collecting ideas (never assume I've seen every proposal, or at least that its still on my radar if I have :) ). It's editable by anyone but I ask that you all be considerate to myself and each other (please don't delete or edit other people's entries, for ex), and that you carefully read to make sure you're not repeating things. Link to doc.

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

If anyone hasn't seen it, there is a public google doc for collecting ideas (never assume I've seen every proposal, or at least that its still on my radar if I have :) ). It's editable by anyone but I ask that you all be considerate to myself and each other (please don't delete or edit other people's entries, for ex), and that you carefully read to make sure you're not repeating things. Link to doc.

Thanks for re-posting the Document link.  Hope you are having a good thanksgiving!   I finally got smart and added a comment I have been sitting on because I had lost the link(and I bookmarked it!  DOH!) :D

Edited by Pappystein

13 hours ago, adm-frb said:

Just curious... Which Saturn V is that?

11 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Just looked it up and Apollo 17 was the only night launch.

Google reverse image search indicates the first photo is of the Apollo 14 launch and the second is of Apollo 4.

This has probably been asked tons of times, but I couldn't find the answer, unfortunately. 

I tried recreating the Atlas IV-3B rocket, but I noticed that the Bossart and Hermes parts do not fit together perfectly. It would appear the Hermes (Mercury) module is built for 1.25m diameter, but the Bossarts are 1.5m, while these should in theory fit together perfectly. 
I did rescale the Kerbol system using Sigma Dimensions and Rescale (2.5x), but I do not suppose that has got anything to do with it. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel of Ferocity said:

This has probably been asked tons of times, but I couldn't find the answer, unfortunately. 

I tried recreating the Atlas IV-3B rocket, but I noticed that the Bossart and Hermes parts do not fit together perfectly. It would appear the Hermes (Mercury) module is built for 1.25m diameter, but the Bossarts are 1.5m, while these should in theory fit together perfectly. 
I did rescale the Kerbol system using Sigma Dimensions and Rescale (2.5x), but I do not suppose that has got anything to do with it. 

The Conical adaptor tank has two top diameters.  Changable in the context menu.  If you do not have that option visible you are either using the wrong B9PartSwitch or you are on an incompletely updated BDB.  *guess work*   If that does not help please follow the process in my signature

1 minute ago, Pappystein said:

The Conical adaptor tank has two top diameters.  Changable in the context menu.  If you do not have that option visible you are either using the wrong B9PartSwitch or you are on an incompletely updated BDB.  *guess work*   If that does not help please follow the process in my signature

Thank you for the extremely quick reply! Just installed the mod a couple of days ago and am still figuring out all the parts, so I didn't know about this adaptor. 
Literally installed the Rescale mod just to make these parts balanced and more fun and this mod keeps blowing my mind day after day. 

3 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

This is extremely helpful for all the basic builds and getting familiar with parts:  https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki  

I had actually been searching that wiki up and down to find an answer, but I either couldn't find it, or the wiki requires some prior level of knowledge I sometimes do not have, it would seem.

Edited by Colonel of Ferocity

16 minutes ago, Colonel of Ferocity said:

Thank you for the extremely quick reply! Just installed the mod a couple of days ago and am still figuring out all the parts, so I didn't know about this adaptor. 
Literally installed the Rescale mod just to make these parts balanced and more fun and this mod keeps blowing my mind day after day. 

Yeah i was confused to!

It's a good idea to look at the craft files!

17 minutes ago, Colonel of Ferocity said:

I had actually been searching that wiki up and down to find an answer, but I either couldn't find it, or the wiki requires some prior level of knowledge I sometimes do not have, it would seem.

The wiki uses the real names of the rockets. DB are fictitious names.
Perhaps this is the cause of your problem.
Real names can be quickly returned to the mod.

Edited by Cochies

2 minutes ago, Cochies said:

The wiki uses the real names of the rockets. DB are fictitious names.
Perhaps this is the cause of your problem.
Real names can be quickly returned to the mod.

I'm aware of that, but I'm not yet used that I can configure parts to different settings after selecting them in the VAB.

1 minute ago, Pappystein said:

Real names is in the EXTRA folder in the mod :D

Yes, started using those too.

Syncom 1 (Delta B, CCAFS)

Syncom 1 was the first satellite to achieve a geosynchronous orbit. It was launched in the morning of 1964 Valentine Day. Although it managed to achieve intended orbit, communications were lost shortly after apogee kick motor fire (the latter was a part of satellite).

Unfortunately, my replica failed to achieve planned orbit, but it looks good, so here it is.

tN4jv5X.png

351KtlB.png

CjZH2uj.png

Cuba!

Smhaw2D.png

JQX13xS.png

Some nice action shots this time: SAF fairings...

mLZeLG2.png

...and spin decoupler.

EqV4Ilc.png

Both upper solids were tweaked to more manageable TWR - around 0.5. Unfortunately, neither I or MJ can cut SRB thrust exactly at the right moment. Jedis, we are not, as Yoda would say.

Qqpfkjr.png

Vze3gkI.png

The satellite is controlled by reaction wheels (cheated a bit, I know...)

pemgogf.png

dUZbzy2.png

The replica is built from (top to bottom): Explorer S-45, Pioneer 6 lower part (w\o monoprop), BE-3 SRM. It weighs 80kg fully fueled.

XpOwyGy.png

Aaand here comes the failure.

The AKM was unable to circularize at 5902km apogee (geosync orbit for 2.5x KSRSS). It fell short - so now it orbits at 5920km x 3578km x 33deg. Maybe due to a Fun Fact.

Fun Fact: this replica is almost 1:1 scale to real Syncom! The real deal was 71x39cm and weighed 68kg fully fueled.

30 minutes ago, Colonel of Ferocity said:

This is actually very helpful feedback so please keep making a note of wherever you find it's not intuitive and let me know either here or better yet, in an issue ticket on github itself.  The wiki started for the very reason that I had no prior knowledge either, so I started making some notes and well...I took a lot of notes.  And pictures.  So I figured I'd share them.  I've tried to strike a balance between real names for the historical flavour text and rocket variants and using BDB Kerbalised names for tags and parts listed in the build guides. 

That particular point about the Bossart adapter is mentioned but I acknowledge the Atlas/Bossart page is one of the older ones and could use bringing up to the same standard as the other pages

1 hour ago, Friznit said:

This is actually very helpful feedback so please keep making a note of wherever you find it's not intuitive and let me know either here or better yet, in an issue ticket on github itself.  The wiki started for the very reason that I had no prior knowledge either, so I started making some notes and well...I took a lot of notes.  And pictures.  So I figured I'd share them.  I've tried to strike a balance between real names for the historical flavour text and rocket variants and using BDB Kerbalised names for tags and parts listed in the build guides. 

That particular point about the Bossart adapter is mentioned but I acknowledge the Atlas/Bossart page is one of the older ones and could use bringing up to the same standard as the other pages

Well, I've been messing around with recreating the rockets on your wiki and I've been pretty succesful so far. At the beginning I wasn't really aware of how the wiki works, so that may have been the reason I can't navigate it as well. 
Terribly great job you did though on all the different configurations of every launcher, upper stage and so on. Really, great job!

What wasn't exactly as obvious when I first started using the mod and consulting the wiki, though, is how the BDB mod sometimes handles engine shrouds or in this instance configurable adapters. It's fine now, but I did have to ask you where to find it :p

1 hour ago, Colonel of Ferocity said:

Well, I've been messing around with recreating the rockets on your wiki and I've been pretty succesful so far. At the beginning I wasn't really aware of how the wiki works, so that may have been the reason I can't navigate it as well. 
Terribly great job you did though on all the different configurations of every launcher, upper stage and so on. Really, great job!

What wasn't exactly as obvious when I first started using the mod and consulting the wiki, though, is how the BDB mod sometimes handles engine shrouds or in this instance configurable adapters. It's fine now, but I did have to ask you where to find it :p

Interesting point.  I've added a note about this on the Vanguard page,  which is usually the first rocket people will build (in career or science mode anyway)