[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Found an issue with the part-upgrades (if it isn`t known yet) . They use icons from some parts like bluedog.Ranger.Bus. The problem is: if you remove this parts (because you don`t need them) the upgrades won`t show up in the techtree because there are no icons.

The smaller Timber Wind 45 model is now on github. Very early alpha. Zero balancing done. Plumes as well (waterfall, stock, realplume). Pictured here with a Kerbal atomics WF plume but it will get custom effects.

This will be a vac only engine unlike the bigger one which could be used as a sustainer. And with a 0.625m mounting plate hopefully you will find lots of mounting options for it. 

screen_2560x1140_2021-02-01_01-34-15.png

Spoiler

Don't ever talk to me or my son ever again.

screen_2560x1140_2021-02-01_01-34-49.png

screen_2560x1140_2021-02-01_01-06-03.png

screenshot172.png?width=1433&height=806

screenshot173.png?width=1433&height=806

screenshot174.png?width=1433&height=806

screenshot176.png?width=1433&height=806

Haven't paid my screenshot tax since returning to this mod, so here's a little bit of what I've been doing lately:

JpHD4NQ.png

F8mkm1I.png

Mariner-B probes visiting Minmus in JNSQ. First one performed a flyby, second one impacted the surface.

a4zlMDr.png

3Cgvdx8.png

Improvised Pegasus satellite on Saturn I. Really hoping we'll get some dedicated Pegasus parts when Saturn I gets revamped.

7 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

woah 

That looks incredible!

It is, dare I say it, better than KA. :0.0:

Well, you must say, the kerbal atomic engines are a bit old, (I think) according to the Roadmap they are gonna be revamped

Still amazing engine(s)! 

If you guys are still taking requests for the Saturn/Apollo update, in addition to my earlier stated request for all of the development models of the LEM, please reconsider adding this beauty that you worked on much earlier into the new mix:

y4mG4jdKIDLonFa6WHw3xCYqIfBvzciG9DFgnt9U

It would be pretty cool to establish an Apollo lunar base with this "LM Shelter"!

12 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

If you guys are still taking requests for the Saturn/Apollo update, in addition to my earlier stated request for all of the development models of the LEM, please reconsider adding this beauty that you worked on much earlier into the new mix:

y4mG4jdKIDLonFa6WHw3xCYqIfBvzciG9DFgnt9U

It would be pretty cool to establish an Apollo lunar base with this "LM Shelter"!

Imagine a ''moon village'' with LM Shelters, Labs and even Fuel recyclers and stuff!

7 hours ago, Adam-Kerman said:

what's the Diagonal side Line on the right side of the Left LEM?

That isn't a LM, that is LM Shelter which is meant as a roomier Auto-piloted version of the LM that is auto landed from a different launch giving the astronauts on the ground more supplies to be on the moon longer (way over simplified)    There are a whole series of LM derived "Moon Base" vehicles like the above mentioned LM Truck and many others.    This was a cheap way to make a long (well longer than maybe a week) stay on the moon for astronauts.

Titan III and Titan 3 un-flown proposals:

Before we move on with our story of the last flying Titans, I wanted to talk about the un-flown variants of the Titan 3 Rockets.   I do this as a separate installment because there are a significant number of un-flown Titan 3 proposals to cover.  As stated previously, I am not covering any of the “large diameter core” Titan 3 proposals with this document.

Spoiler

First, even before the “Project Phoenix” that lead to the Titan III, there was the idea/thought running around at Martin Corporation for a way to get the X-20 Dynasoar into space using improvements to the Titan II.   The program quickly changed its scope to a SRM powered Titan II and, later, a Titan II first stage combined with a new larger diameter Hydrolox 2nd stage.   

The Soltan offered significant thrust improvement over the base Titan II, but had a lot of engineering to go through to make it flight-ready.   The name picked for this launch vehicle was Titan SOLTAN Orbital.   SOLTAN being a conjunction of SOLID + TITAN.   In all actuality, had Aerojet figured out their engineering difficulties with thrust vectoring of the SOLTAN sold, we would probably know it as a different name; AJ-100.  While Aerojet’s 100” SRM was supposedly producing a fantastic thrust to weight ratio, UTC came in with a completed and tested UA-1205 that had more thrust than the SOLTAN… Even if it was not quite as efficient.     

Titan SOLTAN Orbital is fully buildable in BDB currently with the addition of Well’s X-20 Moroz mod:

Build a Titan II stack except change the 2nd stage to the Titan III length.   Use the LR87-AJ-5 (and LR91-AJ-5) engines.   Add X-20 from IronCretin/Well’s X-20 Moroz mod.   Slap on two SOLTAN boosters with the appropriate decoupler and nosecone.  Ed Kyle credits this launch stack with the AJ-9 engines, but given the time frame, it is doubtful the Soltan Orbital would have such engines.

Sadly Titan C (the Hydrolox upper stage for X-20 launching) is not buildable at this time.   The Titan C’s 2nd stage would have been 2.5m diameter in the KSP scale and result in many single-use parts.    It is un-knowable what the 2nd stage engine was, but we could guess that it was at least a single bell LR87-LH2 Vacuum optimized, if not a dual bell one.       It is probably easier to kitbash this stage with a combination of parts from Stock, BDB, and re-stock.  Please note that the Titan C will need relatively large control surfaces on the 1st stage.   Launch and early flight would be near vertical as the 1st stage has to get above the lower atmosphere before burnout.

Titan 3X.   The Titan 3X name was used for two proposals based around 2 and 3 segment SRMs in conjunction with the modified SLV Titan II.   In the early phase of the Titan III development in Project Phoenix, the UTC UA-1202 and UA-1203 were considered to enhance the performance of the soon to become the Titan III rocket.    These options for the Titan 3X are fully buildable in BDB….  This proposal was to carry the initially proposed “Small” KH-9 Satellite.    While the rocket is buildable, a small KH-9 is not possible with BDB parts.  

This brings us to rockets that were proposed or suggested as part of the actual Titan III program.

The original Titan Centaur was known as the Titan 3BAS2.   I assume the designation read out as Titan 3B with Atlas-Centaur upper stage and 2 Solid boost motors.    The core of this rocket was a standard Titan 23 core with the AJ-11 engines.   The Solids in question were two Algol 2 SRMs (or Minuteman M55/TX-55/TU-122 SRMs as they are comparable.)   The 3rd stage would be a Centaur D.1T, and it would be carried exposed, like on the Atlas-Centaur.  A small, Centaur diameter fairing covered the payload.   This rocket used a Burner II as its kick stage.   Fully Buildable (with Algol) in BDB.

Titan 3C7, Titan 3D7,  Titan 3F:   All are essentially the same rocket.  It is an all-up Titan 3M with the upper stage being a Centaur D.1T in an enclosed fairing (identical to the production 3E.)   The main benefits are using the UA1207 for a much higher throw weight and the longer Titan IIIM tankage.   This combination would have replaced the Titan 3E for it’s launches and or supplanted it, including a launch for Haley’s comet in the early 1980s (for a 1980s rendezvous). Build the Titan IIIM but instead of MOL put a Titan 3E fairing and the Centaur D.1T on it.  Fully buildable with BDB!   Likely military designation would have been Titan 34F.

Titan SRM,  Titan CORE-2:   These are the same rocket under two different proposals.   The goal was to reduce costs vs Titan 33B launches.    The Titan SRM would be a direct replacement for the Titan 33B.  It would replace the first Stage of the Titan Rocket with either a UA1205 (baseline) or a UA1207 (Upgraded) SRM as the only engine for the first stage.    A 2nd injection tank would be added as the SRM would be doing more vectoring than previously.   Both tanks would increase in diameter and length.  The increased tank size would make them almost the same size as the 1st Generation UA1205’s unpressurized TVC tanks.   In the inline launch, these tanks would be large and pressurized.   It was these tanks that would be considered the most likely point of failure of the change.   Titan SRM would fly with an all-up Titan 3 second stage and the correct fairing for an Ascent Agena.  Titan CORE-2 is the same rocket, just changing the 3rd stage from Agena to Centaur D.1T in an exposed mounting as on Atlas.   While the parts to make Ascent Agena are not in BDB, a reasonable facsimile can be made… All the pieces are in-game for everything else.

Titan Interceptor:  Several documents from prior to the cancellation of the KH-10/MOL program mention a Titan 23C derived launcher for Blue Gemini.   This would allow a heavily loaded Blue Gemini that was capable of docking with an orbiting KH-10 to launch from Vandenburg, rendezvous with the KH-10 and dock.   In all ways it is just an early Titan 23C with the "generation 2" UA1205s (with all the man-rating stuff on board.   Currently in BDB, any Titan 23C could easily be built as a "Interceptor" just by changing the payload.   TBC I never found a specific designation for the combination of Blue Gemini (aka Gemini II) a MOL docking module and the Titan 23C so the name "Titan Interceptor" is of my own creation.

Even with all the various what-if rockets.  The Titan III in BDB is the most complete rocket thus far covered in these documents.   Literally, EVERY version of the core Rocket can be built.   And with a little jury-rigging, every upper stage can be built.

Previous Article:  Titan III flown rockets

Edited by Pappystein

I've been planning on using this for a playthrough that I'm getting started which will have RemoteTech and I'm running into an issue in that all of the antenna that have been configured to work with RT  seem to be missing. I understand that most of the newer antenna don't have a compatibility patch yet, which is not what this is about, but rather the ones that do don't appear anywhere in the parts list at all. For example, the DP-75 appears to be properly configured, gets all its associated MM patches in the log, but then when I go looking for it in game, it literally doesn't exist and I can't figure out where it disappeared to because there doesn't appear to be any patches that would rename it or delete it. Is there something I'm missing in the configs that's leading to these parts vanishing?

Thanks

PS: I'm also going to be patching the newer parts to work with RT and I might post it here if I'm happy with the results.

EDIT: I'm using v1.7.1 from CKAN on KSP 1.11.1 in case that might be the issue

Edited by SpacedInvader

4 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

I've been planning on using this for a playthrough that I'm getting started which will have RemoteTech and I'm running into an issue in that all of the antenna that have been configured to work with RT  seem to be missing. I understand that most of the newer antenna don't have a compatibility patch yet, which is not what this is about, but rather the ones that do don't appear anywhere in the parts list at all. For example, the DP-75 appears to be properly configured, gets all its associated MM patches in the log, but then when I go looking for it in game, it literally doesn't exist and I can't figure out where it disappeared to because there doesn't appear to be any patches that would rename it or delete it. Is there something I'm missing in the configs that's leading to these parts vanishing?

Thanks

PS: I'm also going to be patching the newer parts to work with RT and I might post it here if I'm happy with the results.

EDIT: I'm using v1.7.1 from CKAN on KSP 1.11.1 in case that might be the issue

The Remote Tech configs are community maintained by BDB users since the authors dont use the mod. They are quite old so Im not surprised there are configs for parts that dont exist anymore. If you do make RT configs they would be appreciated though its worth saying you are like the 4th or 5th person to have announced such intentions over the last year :P 

You can share the complete files directly or make a pull request to the master branch on github.

EDIT: Oh also worth mentioning now that I recall there in fact were some updates submitted by someone. They are on github and not released at the moment. You should look at these to ensure no duplication of effort.

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/tree/master/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/RemoteTech

Edited by Zorg

35 minutes ago, Zorg said:

The Remote Tech configs are community maintained by BDB users since the authors dont use the mod. They are quite old so Im not surprised there are configs for parts that dont exist anymore. If you do make RT configs they would be appreciated though its worth saying you are like the 4th or 5th person to have announced such intentions over the last year :P 

You can share the complete files directly or make a pull request to the master branch on github.

At this point since the RemoteTech configs aren't supported by the main BDB team and people haven't been contributing patches to keep the support up to date would it be worth spinning out these patches into a seperate mod that only serves to collect these patches submitted by community members? That way people will more easily realize that the patches aren't officially supported and the BDB team won't have to deal with as many support questions for them.

3 minutes ago, CDSlice said:

At this point since the RemoteTech configs aren't supported by the main BDB team and people haven't been contributing patches to keep the support up to date would it be worth spinning out these patches into a seperate mod that only serves to collect these patches submitted by community members? That way people will more easily realize that the patches aren't officially supported and the BDB team won't have to deal with as many support questions for them.

Eh, as a compatibility patch its probably best to keep it in BDB. It would cause more issues with people who dont regularly keep in touch on the forum as they wont see where the configs are. I dont mind answering the support question, and someone hopefully eventually will submit patches.

Looks like most of the new probes are covered in the update submitted by LaurentyB but not the new antennas added over the last couple of years.

26 minutes ago, Beale said:

More IVAs

FV4oy1w.jpg
srJUJOl.jpeg
zZKrcee.jpg
7hwNGkB.jpeg

The posters will not be this concentrated in the final product :P

Looks skylab-ish. I know it's MOL, but still reminds me of that.

2 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

Do I se there krussian propaganda in an kamerican space station?

Great!

Canonically, Bluedog is a Soviet-esque design bureau, while Tantares is made up of the various contractors that made the U.S. space program.

Just now, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Looks skylab-ish. I know it's MOL, but still reminds me of that.

Canonically, Bluedog is a Soviet-esque design bureau, while Tantares is made up of the various contractors that made the U.S. space program.

ehh, then kamerican propaganda!

still great!

Just now, Spaceman.Spiff said:

wat.

there is KSP mod canon?

I must know more.

I think that's all there is, but it would be cool to make one up.

Just now, Starhelperdude said:

ehh, then kamerican propaganda!

still great!

Nert's Station Parts have similar posters in a few of the IVA's.