[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Waterfall is now a soft dependency for BDB and is the default handler for liquid engine plumes. It is now bundled together in the github master branch and an initial implementation is available for testing and feedback. Most liquid engines except for a couple like the peacekeeper kick stages and probe engines now have configs. Those plus vacuum SRB plumes, rcs are forthcoming. 

In theory these plumes should perform better than stock and realplume as well.

RealPlume can still be installed alongside for better looking sea level SRB plumes over stock. 

screenshot77.png?width=1035&height=806

screenshot78.png?width=964&height=806

screenshot79.png?width=1482&height=806

Spoiler

If for some reason you dont like waterfall you can still uninstall it though support for stock style plumes is being dropped slowly. Realplume will continue to be supported for future liquid engines to the extend they dont need custom plumes.

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

Realplume will continue to be supported for future liquid engines to the extend they dont need custom plumes.

I'd like some clarification on that. Future Saturn update, for example - will these get RealPlume support, or will I be forced to use Waterfall?

Just now, biohazard15 said:

I'd like some clarification on that. Future Saturn update, for example - will these get RealPlume support, or will I be forced to use Waterfall?

realplume will still have support, though I think waterfall will be the ''main thing'' in manners of plumes

16 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

15 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

realplume will still have support, though I think waterfall will be the ''main thing'' in manners of plumes

Yes I can apply configs to any new engines that can make use of existing prefabs. However I am unlikely to have the motivation to expend the (considerable) effort it takes to make custom plume prefabs should something require it. Of course if anyone else were to do, we would be happy to accept a PR. Having said that there arent a whole lot of new engines due as the primary saturn engines were already remade.

32 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Yes I can apply configs to any new engines that can make use of existing prefabs. However I am unlikely to have the motivation to expend the (considerable) effort it takes to make custom plume prefabs should something require it. Of course if anyone else were to do, we would be happy to accept a PR. Having said that there arent a whole lot of new engines due as the primary saturn engines were already remade.

So at least the main stuff will be able to use existing RP effects? That's very nice. Because I can't force myself to see this:

kq6mDTi.png

Especially this:

q0LnYji.jpg

TvRx5j8.png

voD1QmI.png

Sounds are nice, though.

For comparison, RealPlumes - which truly bring me joy:

280otMV.png

9r5ZC7S.png

Njx4W5d.png

TxjkEN0.png

RealPlumes look and feel real - unlike WaterfallFX plumes, which look and feel like swirling cones with flames painted on them.

On 2/12/2021 at 6:07 PM, Zorg said:

Should be fixed on the github master as of yesterday.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Juno is usable again!!!

I had to stay on 1.10 with my new playthrough because of the mass bug. Really is odd when for all intents and purposes I have a TWR of 2.7 yet the corresponding true velocity change suggest something just over a TWR of 1.1?

5 hours ago, BenyB873 said:

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Juno is usable again!!!

I had to stay on 1.10 with my new playthrough because of the mass bug. Really is odd when for all intents and purposes I have a TWR of 2.7 yet the corresponding true velocity change suggest something just over a TWR of 1.1?

I semi take it back :(. It's mostly resolved, at least on BDBs end of the woods. 

Long time lurker and veteran KSP user here that hasn't bothered posting in a long long time :P

A fascinating issue really, one that I believe combines the previously recorded mass bug and how FAR & Modular Flight Integrator handle drag. 

Public service announcement! Latest BDB Github master works fine with 1.11.1 providing you stay BELOW version 1.2.8.0 of MFI (KSP ver 1.10), assuming of course you are running it. 

Using a recent version of MFI reintroduces our funky mass issue BUT only in atmosphere where there is appreciable aerodynamic drag. 

Launching an LV-3 Atlas with MFI 1.2.9.0 and 1.2.8.0 I observed that calculated surface TWR would proceed as expected, however upon a velocity of greater then 60ms-1 things start getting weird.  Upon a 3.3 TWR which is usually where the skirt will jettison with the given payload, the vessel is only under 1.6gs of thrust. Testing in vacuum however shows all expected values. Also an interesting issue is a pseudo dynamic pressure spike at around 7,700m, almost as if the expected mach 1.0 speed hump is twice as large as its supposed to be, this is despite calculated Q being at a mere 8000 kPA. I personally run Atlas on a max q of 25k and don't come anywhere close to that with this bug. 

The exact same craft and scenario using MFI 1.2.7.0 yielded consistent TWR with respect to g force across the board. All expected q values were met on timeline. 

I should also add I conducted this testing across various versions of Kopernicus and established that the latest build as of this post (v1.11.1-34) works fine with BDB providing MFI is 1.2.7.0.

I'll double post this to the MFI thread. I hope this helps lads!

Edited by BenyB873

15 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Maybe it's just me, since I trust you've got good resources for the LEM, but is the descent stage really that small compared to the ascent stage?

Yeah, the LM (by the time it flew it was simply the Lunar Module, LEM would be a useful distinction for referring to the developmental models but not enough people would make that distinction) is modeled off of some really good orthographics I found from NASA. With that said, pretty much the entire ascent stage needs some serious work getting the topology of those silly panels to be right. The windows probably also need to be redone, the geometry is disgusting right now :(

I did start on the dishes though, and I modeled the plume deflectors in. They won't be baked into the AO this time, and will be a simple toggle. :)

STL8Tye.png

3 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

lol I saw this replica in speyer xD

Oh, habe ich gar nicht gesehen dass das Foto aus Speyer stammt.

Didn`t know that this are from Speyer. I wanted to go there after I was in Sinsheim Technikmuseum some years ago.

6 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

Oh, habe ich gar nicht gesehen dass das Foto aus Speyer stammt.

Didn`t know that this are from Speyer. I wanted to go there after I was in Sinsheim Technikmuseum some years ago.

yay, another german Space interested kerbal!

5 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

lol I saw this replica in speyer xD

me too, 4 times yet. the first thing i thought when i saw the photo: just a second.. i know that thing. The museum in speyer could be a gold mine for every ksp mod author... lot´s of tech from nearly every space program. 

1 hour ago, Starhelperdude said:

yay, another german Space interested kerbal!

make that two :):)

Edited by JoeSheridan