[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Just now, Pappystein said:

I am looking forward to this engine as an alternative to the RL10-B2 as well as the A4 :D

Amazing work Zorg!

Thanks! Its worth noting that this is going to be about 20% less powerful than the B2. And for career players this will be late in the tech tree, and quite expensive (being a reusable space tug engine).

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

I recently had a lot of trouble with PVG in KSP 1.11.

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

In my case it SHUTS THE ENGINE DOWN

I'm finding it broken in 1.10.1, too - were you guys able to use it earlier? For me it shows an obvious exception in the UI, though.

But in general (when/if this works) will PVG help in the following case? I have an Atlas V whose first stage can get to 130km x 0, which leaves a very small circularization burn for the upper stage, but this is only possible if the steering cooperates. I can do it by hand, but Classic Ascent doesn't know how to do radial in (?) enough to keep the Ap at the right spot. That's what PVG should be able to do, correct?

19 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I'm finding it broken in 1.10.1, too - were you guys able to use it earlier? For me it shows an obvious exception in the UI, though.

But in general (when/if this works) will PVG help in the following case? I have an Atlas V whose first stage can get to 130km x 0, which leaves a very small circularization burn for the upper stage, but this is only possible if the steering cooperates. I can do it by hand, but Classic Ascent doesn't know how to do radial in (?) enough to keep the Ap at the right spot. That's what PVG should be able to do, correct?

It worked in 1.10. My problem is that it at 20000 m it decides to go horizontal and forgets the gravity turn and then burns up.

Yeah I have had a really hard time getting MechJeb to work for ascents with non-BDB rockets as well in JNSQ. It wants to to tilt horizontal way too early and doesn’t get out of the atmosphere. I’ve basically stopped using it for take off and landing since it hasn’t worked for either of those for a while now. 

1 minute ago, CDSlice said:

Yeah I have had a really hard time getting MechJeb to work for ascents with non-BDB rockets as well in JNSQ. It wants to to tilt horizontal way too early and doesn’t get out of the atmosphere. I’ve basically stopped using it for take off and landing since it hasn’t worked for either of those for a while now. 

If you use the Classic Ascent Profile, here's what works for me:  Limit AOA to 5 (it won't obey this for long, but this helps calm it down) and most importantly click Edit Ascent Path at the bottom and change the Turn Shape to 70. This is all I needed to fix the same problem you're describing.

I use these values on JNSQ (85k) and KSRSS at 2.5x (90k) and don't have any atmospheric heating effects. 70 is conservative. You might like 60.

You might want to play with the mass of the payload or add ballast.  It's not possible to fly every rocket to a circular orbit for every alt.

E.g. may need like 120*250/350 if you are too light in jnsq.

Pvg also allows you to set the pitch program rate, which will help you get higher before stable guidance is reached.

Control systems are hard....

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

If you use the Classic Ascent Profile, here's what works for me:  Limit AOA to 5 (it won't obey this for long, but this helps calm it down) and most importantly click Edit Ascent Path at the bottom and change the Turn Shape to 70. This is all I needed to fix the same problem you're describing.

I use these values on JNSQ (85k) and KSRSS at 2.5x (90k) and don't have any atmospheric heating effects. 70 is conservative. You might like 60.

I use Turn Shape 55 and (important!) Final Angle 5. The latter prevents upper stage from going fully horizontal while in upper atmosphere - especially helpful with Deltas, which generally work better with CAP.

21 hours ago, Zorg said:

Here's an early look. This is a staged combustion cycle vac engine using some subscale SSME derived components meant for the IPP space tug.

unknown.png?width=508&height=708

So M1, XLR129, RS30 and one more to round up the new engines :)

So is this confirmation IPP parts/hardware are being worked on for the update too? Because IPP is my favorite engineering project design like ever

1 hour ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

So is this confirmation IPP parts/hardware are being worked on for the update too? Because IPP is my favorite engineering project design like ever

Unfortunately we're not looking at at integrating IPP into the BDB roadmap at this time. Orbital Phoenix did some phenomenal work earlier but they've not been super active in a while. 

As far as I know, the parts still work and look great. Perhaps someone else will come along to do more IPP stuff one day :)

Edited by Zorg

45 minutes ago, Just John said:

im trying to get Hokulani (SkyLab) in orbit, anyone know where can i find prints on how to build it or even get it into orbit?

https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki

Link above is from OP.   Always a good place to start :D

Direct link to the Skylab infoz is:

https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Skylab

BTW welcome to the Forums.   And ignore my snark above.  Ask any questions you want.    But it is always a good Idea to start with the first post as they often have that kind of info.

Just wanted to pop in and show my appreciation. This mod is really amazing, and I've been using it for my last couple playthroughs, a TON of fun. It really gives me something to do over quarantine thats for sure!

I've been a huge fan of the recent additions as well, as well as the alternate history parts such as the ETS components. Having just updated the mod a bit ago, I was very pleasantly surprised to see SNAP RTG's and nuclear engines, I don't keep up with updates or anything (is there a discord or something to join for this mod?) so it was quite the suprise.

It has been lots of fun making MOL stations, Advanced Gemini spacecraft, alternate moon landers using Gemini, old / alternate Saturn designs, and lots of others. Thanks so much for the work you all put in. Really appreciate it.