[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Sometimes BDB can have to many parts that it can be difficult to find something.  Is there any interstages that can work for the 3.125 DCSS to 5m SLS parts?? If not it would be a really nice option in the Delta IV interstage option. Redirects interstage has issues with BDBs DCSS but I prefer BDBs DCSS. Something like the image below. I cannot get this to work because after staging the model clips and explodes. 

6IjrYQg.png

Alright a hotfix has been pushed to Spacedock and Github releases for the RL10 texture issue. If you downloaded earlier please grab a fresh download. Sorry about that. Should propagate to CKAN on its own soonish.

Edited by Zorg

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

I cant speak to tweakscale as I havent used it in a while but this release should be backwards compatible with KSP back to 1.8.1.

Do note that stock type fairings are broken in 1.10.0 but ok in 1.10.1

Also worth noting a lot of the new stuff dont have tweakscale configs. I havent had the time or frankly motivation to maintain them recently being quite preoccupied with various other things so we would definitely appreciate a PR from someone to update those :)

Thanks for the info.  After digging through some info from the other mods I had issues with, I decided to stick with the 1.11.2 update.  The main reason I was concerned about tweakscale is that a lot of the craft files in the download have it as a requirement still.  But if you say its safe to use BDB as a whole without TS, I may get rid of it and just build everything from scratch.

13 minutes ago, Ghostshark27 said:

Thanks for the info.  After digging through some info from the other mods I had issues with, I decided to stick with the 1.11.2 update.  The main reason I was concerned about tweakscale is that a lot of the craft files in the download have it as a requirement still.  But if you say its safe to use BDB as a whole without TS, I may get rid of it and just build everything from scratch.

Hmm? None of the craft files should need tweakscale. I know there were a couple that friznit did a long while back that had tweakscaled nose cones. But none of the current craft files should have any modules from a mod that is not an included dependency. 

25 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Hmm? None of the craft files should need tweakscale. I know there were a couple that friznit did a long while back that had tweakscaled nose cones. But none of the current craft files should have any modules from a mod that is not an included dependency. 

Huh, weird.  I thought that I had started with a completely fresh install, maybe it still had some ancient craft files in it.  I'll clear out all the craft and reinstall from the download again.  Its probably just user error on my part, lol.

6 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Sometimes BDB can have to many parts that it can be difficult to find something.  Is there any interstages that can work for the 3.125 DCSS to 5m SLS parts?? If not it would be a really nice option in the Delta IV interstage option. Redirects interstage has issues with BDBs DCSS but I prefer BDBs DCSS. Something like the image below. I cannot get this to work because after staging the model clips and explodes. 

6IjrYQg.png

I normally tried tweak scaling all the interstage I can find, as BDB use a lot of non standard size there normally one that fit after rescale

14 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I don't know when/if I'd get to the 10m S-IVB - simply because it wouldn't share... a ton? with the other stuff. Things like stretched S-1C and S-II tanks are easy since I can just add more horizontal sections to lengthen them. A 10m S-IVB would take a bit more work... I'd maybe be able to reuse the S-II's top endcap but not the sides since the S-II has so many extra greebles. And the engine mount would be borderline all-new.

For engine mount I have an idea, just  use old S-IVB mount but add an adapter tank between 10m tank and S-IVB  mount, as in the diagram LOX tank have a smaller diameter than LH2 tank then put a second node for attatcing a interstage on a top of the adapter tank.

12 hours ago, dave1904 said:

We dont have a 3.125m to 5m adapter. Though I can look into the possibility of adapting existing assets such as the LDC  3.125 to 3.75m adapter. Its not going to be SLS-alike though :P

I wonder why you had decoupling issues. I'll double check the colliders on DCSS. Our interstages have very thin colliders maybe the DCSS needs some more breathing room for other adapters.

6 hours ago, golkaidakhaana said:

What happen to the Pioneer Venus Orbiter and Mars Observer assets ? Was he shelved ?

For now at least. I expect one of us will get to Pioneer Venus eventually but there are other priorities for the time being. Not sure about the status of Mars Observer.

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

I wonder why you had decoupling issues. I'll double check the colliders on DCSS. Our interstages have very thin colliders maybe the DCSS needs some more breathing room for other adapters.

Its a collider issue like you said but I forgot the exact details because I tested it 2 months ago. To be fair adopting the dcss to be able to stage with redirects decoupler would be the best way because redirects interstages matches the rest of the SLS stack. 

BTW. The atlas v sound effects with waterfall are incredible. Now the atlas feels like a 500t beast 

Sorry to post what amounts to a bug report here, but after an hour of trying to open a github account, I cannot take that captcha anymore. I apologize if these are known already. But I've noticed them for quite awhile and I haven't seen any post or mention of them, and they have remained unfixed. I loaded a new "clean" 1.11.2 Kerbal install to confirm these and get pics, and used the latest mod download. However, these issues were present on other Kerbal versions, and other mod versions.  Please forgive any misused technical terms.

The Leo-M-8DC  Drogue Parachute appears like it has an exterior mesh(?) but the texture has only been applied on the interior of that mesh. So you only see it when looking through the outside onto the interior geometry. Example:

Spoiler

qTq3YqT.png

Second, the Leo Capsule itself is too... buoyant? It only barely goes into the water, and when using SAS you can remain 'stable' at very unrealistic angles. Examples:

Spoiler

wkScWU8.png

Spoiler

4PcPPoQ.png

Spoiler

2XFXd2Q.png

Also, very minor and completely separate, the waterfall gfx for the Gemini lander engine has a white cone at all altitudes and pressures.

Spoiler

0CON0pl.png

Sorry again if these were already known issues. Love your work!

20 minutes ago, mozartbeatle said:

Second, the Leo Capsule itself is too... buoyant? It only barely goes into the water, and when using SAS you can remain 'stable' at very unrealistic angles.

Just fulfilling Gus Grissom's wishes on Gemini design.

On a serious note - yes, I can confirm that.

17 hours ago, mozartbeatle said:

Sorry to post what amounts to a bug report here, but after an hour of trying to open a github account, I cannot take that captcha anymore. I apologize if these are known already. But I've noticed them for quite awhile and I haven't seen any post or mention of them, and they have remained unfixed. I loaded a new "clean" 1.11.2 Kerbal install to confirm these and get pics, and used the latest mod download. However, these issues were present on other Kerbal versions, and other mod versions.  Please forgive any misused technical terms.

The Leo-M-8DC  Drogue Parachute appears like it has an exterior mesh(?) but the texture has only been applied on the interior of that mesh. So you only see it when looking through the outside onto the interior geometry. Example:

Second, the Leo Capsule itself is too... buoyant? It only barely goes into the water, and when using SAS you can remain 'stable' at very unrealistic angles. Examples:

Also, very minor and completely separate, the waterfall gfx for the Gemini lander engine has a white cone at all altitudes and pressures.

Sorry again if these were already known issues. Love your work!

Thanks, we'll check on those issues. 

Er im not personally too familiar with the Gemini capsule config. it might just be a bit odd due to the requirement it needs to float on its side but will check with the rest of the team.

So here is the 4th and final entry in the forgotten hydrolox engines BDB is getting in the future. (well 3rd I guess since we talked about the XLR-129 but I'm doing that one last).

This is the Pratt and Whitney RL-20 a staged combustion design that was the precursor the the XLR-129. Originally developed as a sea level engine it was modified into a vac version later. The vac version was considered in some Saturn improvement studies as a J-2 replacement. 

Its kind of an oddball engine due to the unusual gimbal arrangement thats needed.

Spoiler

J2_vs_RL20P-3.png?width=513&height=761

RL20_2Position.png

unknown.png?width=675&height=761

unknown.png?width=521&height=761

unknown.png?width=693&height=760

unknown.png?width=627&height=760

Compared next to the J-2

unknown.png?width=1191&height=761

We dont need HG-3 :P

unknown.png?width=737&height=797

unknown.png?width=696&height=799

Edited by Zorg

4 hours ago, Zorg said:

So here is the 4th and final entry in the forgotten hydrolox engines BDB is getting in the future. (well 3rd I guess since we talked about the XLR-129 but I'm doing that one last).

Compared next to the J-2

unknown.png?width=1191&height=761

We dont need HG-3 :P

Will the Sea Level version (I assume that is the right most one) have a thrust higher than the J2S Sealevel?

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

Will the Sea Level version (I assume that is the right most one) have a thrust higher than the J2S Sealevel?

Yeah, the engine in its SL version is quoted as 250k lbf at sea level. Alternatewars quotes 265k lbf for vac performance of the SL version but I havent found the original source for that figure. 

Isp figures for the either version arent available but I do have a rough guide based on a theoretical RL20 performance graph at various expansion ratios in a book.

In Ksp terms this means the J2 SL as we have it configured produces 193kN at SL and 234.7kN in Vac.

The RL20  SL would be 278kN at sea level and 294kN in Vac.

Being an engine that was never built we might not take this as gospel and might tweak things for balance taking into consideration where the XLR129 and the RL20 vac fits as well.