[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

23 hours ago, Zorg said:

Modular Launch Pads (be sure to grab AlphaDev branch on the github. Theres only a handful of parts on the earlier one, AlphaDev has all the good stuff)

Thank you - that is beautiful stuff!

Just now, StarStreak2109 said:

Isn't that something normally being done by the RSS/RO team / contributors? I am not @CobaltWolf, but I'd say that adds a whole new layer of complexity, having to admin yet even more config files.

I have no idea.  I'm just getting back into the swing of things after being away for years.

9 minutes ago, jpinard said:

So beautiful!  Have you thought about doing a config so these are compatible with Real Solar System, and Realism Overhaul?

4 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Isn't that something normally being done by the RSS/RO team / contributors? I am not @CobaltWolf, but I'd say that adds a whole new layer of complexity, having to admin yet even more config files.

Yeah, no, that's 'not my job'. I make Bluedog, the Realism Overhaul people make RO. :) I barely even force myself to make the BDB configs (and those have to be heavily edited by my co-author)

24 minutes ago, Nnimrod said:

I'm guessing compatibility with 1.7.2 is waiting on dependencies?

It works absolutely fine. As a rule of thumb, most mods compatible with versions 1.4 and up will be compatible with 1.7.x, as no major changes to the game engine have occurred. Do not assume that the reverse is true, however. Also, most of the plugins that BDB relies on have been updated to be explicitly compatible with 1.7.x, and may or may not be included with dev builds, so check to see if they’re up to date, and if not update them. I am running BDB on 1.7.2 with no problems, so it should be safe for you.

2 minutes ago, hieywiey said:

It works absolutely fine. As a rule of thumb, most mods compatible with versions 1.4 and up will be compatible with 1.7.x, as no major changes to the game engine have occurred. Do not assume that the reverse is true, however. Also, most of the plugins that BDB relies on have been updated to be explicitly compatible with 1.7.x, and may or may not be included with dev builds, so check to see if they’re up to date, and if not update them. I am running BDB on 1.7.2 with no problems, so it should be safe for you.

Yeah, you're right.

However sigma dimensions doesn't seem to be working. Which is fine, I can wait.

3 hours ago, Nnimrod said:

Yeah, you're right.

However sigma dimensions doesn't seem to be working. Which is fine, I can wait.

Sigma Dimensions works fine for me in 1.7.2, though make sure you are using both the latest versions of Sigma and Kopernicus, not earlier ones. I had a bit of trouble earlier, before Sigma was updated for the new Kopernicus (the newer Kopernicus significantly changed how it worked, and therefore broke any mods that depended on it).

3 hours ago, hieywiey said:

Sigma Dimensions works fine for me in 1.7.2, though make sure you are using both the latest versions of Sigma and Kopernicus, not earlier ones. I had a bit of trouble earlier, before Sigma was updated for the new Kopernicus (the newer Kopernicus significantly changed how it worked, and therefore broke any mods that depended on it).

I think you mean 1.7.1 because kopernicus hasn't been updated to 1.7.2 yet

16 hours ago, jpinard said:

Thank you - that is beautiful stuff!

The AlphaDev branch on the Modular Launch Pads Github is the WIP of version 2.  As of now, it replaces everything in version 1 except the Soyuz pad and Russian Launch Stand, which are being rebuilt as well.

43 minutes ago, Friznit said:

I read on Space Launch Report that Titan 3L was a thing.  Commercial Titan core with a couple of Titan 2's strapped to the side.  Who'd have thunk? (Well, Martin M obviously).  I had to try it....

~snip~

Whoa :o

Reminder that I'm planning on streaming tomorrow morning, starting by let's say 8:30 Eastern at the latest. Going to see if we can just bang out Titan 1 in a weekend. :)

On 6/27/2019 at 6:32 PM, CobaltWolf said:

wonder how easy it would be to make a PSLV-alike with the parts we have now (or will soon) - something like a UA1204 first stage, Titan 2 or 3 second stage, maybe like an Orbus 21 in a fairing for the third, and a Transtage for the 4th? Might be neat! :)

Couldn't let a prompt like that go unanswered!

Gem 46s and UA1205 to start with. 1205 is a little long but close enough for now

3pAy0cPh.png

reStock+ extended oscar tank and Lr101 verniers

Jrin5OHh.png

HjtAlnmh.png

YiSSXaxh.png

Main difference from your suggestion is using a Peacekeepr Post Boost Vehicle for the 4th as I felt the transtage was a bit big. The PBV might be too small though.

XlQ6AG2h.png

What size payload would a Titan I be capable of launching? Also, why does it have a skirt around the first stage engines like the Titan III and IV while the Titan II does not? Was it meant to launch with SRBs?

25 minutes ago, hieywiey said:

What size payload would a Titan I be capable of launching? Also, why does it have a skirt around the first stage engines like the Titan III and IV while the Titan II does not? Was it meant to launch with SRBs?

I'm not sure, it's probably somewhere between Thor and Atlas. It needs a kick stage to get anything meaningful, but even a small solid like the Star-20 would fill the roll.

My understanding is that it had the skirt to try and help with air circulation. Back in the late-50s through until the 70s, base heating was a very poorly understood phenomenon and they used a lot of different techniques to try and minimize it. They used air scoops in combination with the skirt on the Titan 1, on the Titan 2 they decided to just use air scoops.

Of course, nobody will stop you from launching it with SRBs :)

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm not sure, it's probably somewhere between Thor and Atlas. It needs a kick stage to get anything meaningful, but even a small solid like the Star-20 would fill the roll.

My understanding is that it had the skirt to try and help with air circulation. Back in the late-50s through until the 70s, base heating was a very poorly understood phenomenon and they used a lot of different techniques to try and minimize it. They used air scoops in combination with the skirt on the Titan 1, on the Titan 2 they decided to just use air scoops.

So THAT'S what the little scoop things on the Titan II were for!

7 hours ago, hieywiey said:

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Also the Titan I was launched ABOVE ground from an UNDER GROUND Silo.  The big structure around the engine on the Titan I (the Skirt) is actually A structural Stiffener/Elevator hoist.    Here is a general outline of the launch procedures (it may not be exactly in the correct order.)  

1. Receive launch order (thankfully they were only issued for test launches!)

2) Open Silo.

3) Begin Fueling RP-1 tanks.

4) during RP-1 fueling, raise the Titan I missile out of the silo

4a) RP-1 Fueling was only ~20% complete when Titan was fully raised.  This allowed lighter Elevator structures as well as easier to drain the tanks.

5) on confirmation of the Launch order fill the Liquid Oxygen tanks (ABOVE GROUND)

6) Launch.

The Skirt helped stabilize the Titan Rocket during the ascent up the Silo shaft on the Elevator and MAY have provided hold backs for fuel lines (the wording on what I read on this was... less than clear.   I am uncertain if it was the skirt or another structure on the elevator itself (also called a skirt in the document I read.)

Also reading between the lines it sounds like, at least at one point, the Silo integrated Titan Is would have been physically attached to the Elevator and would "broken free" by explosive bolts.  The Skirt provides an ARMOR factor to the LR87 engines in that case (the bolts all had skirt metal between them and the LR87s that is to say.)

Edited by Pappystein
Line 4a

12 minutes ago, Wirelex said:

titan 1 rocket quiet OP can be put on orbit (Stock solarsystem) if want to put orbit on titan 1 you had need Kickstage with 3 axles control

Are you trying to say that the Titan I is overpowered in the stock system or underpowered? The first half suggests the former, while the second half suggests the latter. BDB is meant to be used in a 2.5x or 3.2x solar system (I personally use a 2.5x system myself), so most parts will be overpowered in the stock system.