[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Hi, new to BDB.

I'm aready using some of the parts on my builds. Thanks. Quick question though. I use a mixture of mods (too many probably) including raidernick's RN Series and the FASA kit. Do I have to do something to get the scales to match up correctly with BDB kit. It seems all the (Beautiful btw) BDB parts are a shade smaller in comparison ?

What bit of the FAQ have I missed :-) Cheers

SJ

20 minutes ago, serjames said:

Hi, new to BDB.

I'm aready using some of the parts on my builds. Thanks. Quick question though. I use a mixture of mods (too many probably) including raidernick's RN Series and the FASA kit. Do I have to do something to get the scales to match up correctly with BDB kit. It seems all the (Beautiful btw) BDB parts are a shade smaller in comparison ?

What bit of the FAQ have I missed :-) Cheers

SJ

I think the easiest thing would be to get Tweakscale, I don't think there's anything that just gets the scales lined up, unfortunately. For what it's worth BDB's scaling is more accurate generally (1.875m is 3m IRL which is the correct scale of the Atlas and Titan, for instance) than FASA's, BDB is generally more accurate/realistic (with the pods being a notable exception, FASA's are far better still), better balanced, has more parts (though FASA has a lot BDB doesn't have) etc. In general I'd say that FASA/RN series and BDB exist in sort of separate circles and you'll have some dissonance trying to use them together.

4 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@CobaltWolf Not sure you're aware, but as of one of yesterday's dev builds the Titan III extended tank's nodes are offset downwards, so it clips through the decoupler and floats above the lower tank.

uhhhh *checks github* yeah we got an issue logged for it. Stupid easy fix, I just haven't been at my main dev PC this week other than quickly getting DCSS in game. :)

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/630

@CobaltWolf I know you say you were doing a Saturn Revamp soonish, correct? 

Could you add all six C models? 
C-1
C-2
C-3
C-4
C-5
C-8

Also, if you're looking for something new to add to the mix, might I suggest tackling some of the Nova Variants? And I'm not talking the C-8 or the Saturn Nova. 
I'm talking about these bad boys:
http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/n/novamm.gif
https://i.stack.imgur.com/qpLjH.gif
http://www.zentastic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/nova-rockets.jpg
http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/n/novammgd.gif
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/10/13/01/101301504bf0f7d0f96eabb25c12d6bb--space-program-space-travel.jpg

Personally I would like to see the:
14A and 34 from MM Basic
Nothing really catches my eye in MM Advanced
The OOST or ROOST from Douglas Studies (Personally an SSTO rocket seems really neat to me)
Nova GD-E from General Dynamics
And I guess the 59K with 9 F-1s or the 59K 5 4m solids from Nasa's own designs. 

Just suggestions for future addons to the pack. ;)

On a side note, the Saturn I might have had asparagus staging...

juno5par.jpg

AND recovery!? With Parachute assisted propulsive landing?! What?!

juno5rec.jpg

8 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

@CobaltWolf I know you say you were doing a Saturn Revamp soonish, correct? 
~snip~
Just suggestions for future addons to the pack. ;)

On a side note, the Saturn I might have had asparagus staging...
AND recovery!? With Parachute assisted propulsive landing?! What?!

So, I don't know when a Saturn revamp would happen, but suffice to say it's on my mind. Now, I'm not planning on doing all the C-series, nor am I planning on doing anything Nova related. I don't have a list of parts yet but the focus would be more on direct upgrades and modifications to the Saturn 1 and Saturn V rather than entirely new launch vehicles - I don't intend to add additional diameters past what is needed for the Saturn V, for example. I will say, right now, I'm pretty sure that revamping the Saturn, Apollo and LM (along with expanding them - think about how much Titan has been expanded this update) will wait until KSP2. 

And also, yes! Reusability was on a lot of people's minds in the 50s and 60s. There was a lot of talk of reusing / recovering launch vehicle stages, not to mention wanting to refurbish Gemini and Apollo capsules for reuse. Generally the pace of the 60s meant that time and money wasn't spent on reusability when it came up, and the desire was eventually reflected in the space shuttle. Speaking of things that I *do* want to try to do...

HuKfvwB.jpg

XDSOjuP.jpg

uClP0C7.jpg

bNcTK2B.jpg

17 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

So, I don't know when a Saturn revamp would happen, but suffice to say it's on my mind. Now, I'm not planning on doing all the C-series, nor am I planning on doing anything Nova related. I don't have a list of parts yet but the focus would be more on direct upgrades and modifications to the Saturn 1 and Saturn V rather than entirely new launch vehicles - I don't intend to add additional diameters past what is needed for the Saturn V, for example. I will say, right now, I'm pretty sure that revamping the Saturn, Apollo and LM (along with expanding them - think about how much Titan has been expanded this update) will wait until KSP2. 

And also, yes! Reusability was on a lot of people's minds in the 50s and 60s. There was a lot of talk of reusing / recovering launch vehicle stages, not to mention wanting to refurbish Gemini and Apollo capsules for reuse. Generally the pace of the 60s meant that time and money wasn't spent on reusability when it came up, and the desire was eventually reflected in the space shuttle. Speaking of things that I *do* want to try to do...

Oh, okay. 

As for reusability. I knew it was mentioned for Saturn V with paraglider and even winged Titan, but Saturn I propulsively landing its first stage? I never heard of that.

29 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Could you see if you can make the "Saturn Rescale" the standard, at least? It would be great to have the Saturn accurately scaled, and a lot of modeling for that is done.

3 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Could you see if you can make the "Saturn Rescale" the standard, at least? It would be great to have the Saturn accurately scaled, and a lot of modeling for that is done.

Saturn is likely just going to get remade from scratch, and yes currently I am planning to use 4... I don't remember the decimal, it doesn't matter right now, and 6.25m for the cores. Assuming nothing changes in KSP2, which is partially why I'm waiting - Saturn and Apollo are supposed to be the main feature of the mod, and if I'm going to redo it "once and for all" I'd rather wait for KSP2 and get settled down into that art style first rather than trying to adapt existing stuff.

5 minutes ago, Mudwig said:

Slight issue I just noticed: The 'Prometheus-III-3080 Liquid Fuel Tank' has it's nodes offset. The top and bottom nodes are both too high.

Already being tracked :)https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/630

I appreciate bug reports but please check if they're already listed on Github on the issue tracker - and, incidentally, if it isn't on there, logging it there will guarantee it doesn't get lost on the thread. :)

16 hours ago, Friznit said:

Had a play with some more Gimp stuff while I should have been working this afternoon.

f9aEpG6.png

I dare you to build all of these and line them up along the runway. 

Also, I don't know what the fifth rocket from the left is. Nevermind, figured it out... I think. It's an Athena concept right?

Edited by GoldForest

6 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Also, I don't know what the fifth rocket from the left is. Nevermind, figured it out... I think. It's an Athena concept right?

It's a Saturn M43 from Eyes Turned Skyward, an alternate history timeline.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/wiki/doku.php?id=timelines:eyes_turned_skyward_spacecraft_and_launch_vehicle_technical_data#saturn_multibody

10 minutes ago, Mudwig said:

7 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Fifth from left is an Athena IIcS.  The ETS Saturn M43 is fifth from the right.

Edited by Friznit

7 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Challenge accepted!

FrDYLbt.png

Physics doesn't like it...

qnx5p30.png

qEsuzpV.png

Fireworks!

5 minutes ago, Friznit said:

Challenge accepted!

FrDYLbt.png

Physics doesn't like it...

qnx5p30.png

qEsuzpV.png

Fireworks!

I didn't mean every single rocket you can make with BDB, just the rockets in your blueprint picture! 

Also, where are people getting the Nova parts? Wait, doesn't FASA have Nova parts?

Also also, you forgot Skylab.

Edited by GoldForest

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I didn't mean every single rocket you can make with BDB, just the rockets in your blueprint picture! 

Also, where are people getting the Nova parts? Wait, doesn't FASA have Nova parts?

Also also, you forgot Skylab.

That's only about half of the rockets you can build with BDB!  The C8 first stage is built using ReStock tanks and procedural fairings, the rest is regular BDB Saturn parts with a little tweakscaling to get the scales right.  I've not used FASA but it would be nice to have a proper engine fairing for the Nova.

2 minutes ago, Friznit said:

That's only about half of the rockets you can build with BDB!  The C8 first stage is built using ReStock tanks and procedural fairings, the rest is regular BDB Saturn parts with a little tweakscaling to get the scales right.  I've not used FASA but it would be nice to have a proper engine fairing for the Nova.

That Delta IV and Delta Heavy don't come from BDB.