[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

11 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Awesome! I'm excited for the update to release, we have a newer and better Atlas Able now! :)

9bmThAg.png

Looking forward to it! I struggled with the fairing quite a bit. Yours is much more accurate.

I gave Ed White and Roger Chaffee their long denied moment in the sun. They flew a highly successful MOL mission in a 100 km polar orbit, spying on those nasty Krussians. I built out the Titan IIIM per the instructions, but it turned out to be massively overpowered even for the MOL. The UA1207's have a pretty good kick to them! I never even had to light the Transtage.

y4mQOuacpWvwpv0AAXDjgzwekmubfG1cvXeu8uTs

Edited by DaveyJ576
Typo

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Looking forward to it! I struggled with the fairing quite a bit. Yours is much more accurate.

With the upcoming update you wont have to worry about accurate fairings either. We are now using Simple Adjustable Fairings as a new dependency and we now have accurate fairings for many rocket families. Sandwiched between the Ablestar on the left and Vanguard on the right we have all of the Able fairing variants ever used (unless I missed something).

screen_5300x2880_2020-04-10_10-56-17.png?width=1589&height=863

10 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

Could I suggest a green Delta style skirt to go with the blue one, for building the Delta III?

Currently there is a green delta/thor engine fairing, just not the same type of skirt as delta 2. This can be used as a substitute until a green delta 2 skirt gets made. 

On 10/5/2020 at 11:25 AM, DaveyJ576 said:

I gave Ed White and Roger Chaffee their long denied moment in the sun. They flew a highly successful MOL mission in a 100 km polar orbit, spying on those nasty Krussians. I built out the Titan IIIM per the instructions, but it turned out to be massively overpowered even for the MOL. The UA1207's have a pretty good kick to them! I never even had to light the Transtage.

I don’t believe IIIM used a transtage? However, the MOL test article (launched on Titan IIIC) did have a transtage. I believe with the latest MOL/Gemini parts, a Titan IIIM is balanced for putting MOL in a decent polar orbit in JNSQ.

Edited by Invaderchaos

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

what planet pack are you using?

Still using stock Kerbin. I didn’t want to try too much too soon. I dialed back the thrust and fuel amount on the solids, and reduced the fuel on the first stage. Still tinkering with that. 

4 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Still using stock Kerbin. I didn’t want to try too much too soon. I dialed back the thrust and fuel amount on the solids, and reduced the fuel on the first stage. Still tinkering with that. 

Yeah in the stock solar system BDB parts are massively overpowered compared to real life. If you use a 2.7x scaled planet pack like JNSQ the parts correspond pretty well to what performance you would get in real life.

To be fair though, the stock parts are pretty overpowered for the stock system as well. In real life we needed a massive Saturn V to just get a lunar rendezvous moon mission to work while on KSP a 1.25m rocket plus some boosters can easily perform a direct ascent Mun or Minmus mission.

40 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

I don’t believe IIIM used a transtage? However, the MOL test article (launched on Titan IIIC) did have a transtage. I believe with the latest MOL/Gemini parts, a Titan IIIM is balanced for putting MOL in a decent polar orbit in JNSQ.

Yeah, I believe you’re right. No Transtage on the IIIM. But I like it anyway. It gives you a lot of on-orbit maneuvering margin. 

On 10/4/2020 at 8:38 PM, biohazard15 said:

I wonder... Is there some science and\or funds generator planned for KH-9? Having four RVs (five, if you count the mapping nose) won't mean much if you can send all the available science on one.

Right now I'm attempting a science playthrough with the goal of unlocking the stock tech tree using only chronological historical Friznit approved builds. So, I flew Ranger 7, and now Lunar Orbiter is a zero-yield mission. Boo.

Is there a reason that "Take Photographs" can't be biome-dependent?

edit: i realize my quote is only marginally related ... sigh...

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

10 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Is there a reason that "Take Photographs" can't be biome-dependent?

Planning on taking a final look at the science balance this weekend so will have a think about it. The BD_camera definition is pretty old though so Id didnt really look at changing it and it is in fact biome specific when landed. While its nice to get more usability out of experiments, adding biome specific results for low orbit does increase the science gains significantly and BDB with the new update is giving a LOT of extra science at low tech levels so there are balance considerations. I would be interested to hear what people think though.

37 minutes ago, Morphisor said:

BDB already gives out plenty of science I feel. Especially since it also provides early access to many stock and DMOS experiments which are otherwise later in the tech tree.

none of my comments are aimed at amounts. The amount is easily controlled (or at least reigned in) by game options. What you can't control from the player's side is what you can run where.

I'm the first to admit that this is an incredibly difficult area in KSP because of the amount of variables involved. However, from a gameplay standpoint, one picture of a planetary surface that counts towards science doesn't really make sense. The whole point of missions like Lunar Orbiter and Nimbus (etc etc) is oodles of photos. KSP doesn't have that kind of reward system, but it has biomes, and I'm just saying that's the mechanism that makes sense to me, for a camera designed to take pictures of a planet. 

in terms of "plenty" of science ... BDB has a ton of great experiments. Any one, with any pack, can spam all available experiments onto every craft. Designing for that type of player doesn't really make sense to me.

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

Planning on taking a final look at the science balance this weekend so will have a think about it. The BD_camera definition is pretty old though so Id didnt really look at changing it and it is in fact biome specific when landed. While its nice to get more usability out of experiments, adding biome specific results for low orbit does increase the science gains significantly and BDB with the new update is giving a LOT of extra science at low tech levels so there are balance considerations. I would be interested to hear what people think though.

WRT KH-9: I think the best way is to implement a simple funds generator on it, bringing back that old idea about film:

- The camera part has 200 "fresh film" and "tank" for 50 "undeveloped film"

- Each RV has a "tank" for 50 "undeveloped film"

- "Undeveloped film" can be produced only in low orbit (if there's such an option in stock generators), and it costs signiicantly more (say, 100x) than "fresh film"

- The generator converts "fresh film" into "undeveloped film" SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY. Like, one unit of film per day. Earth day.

- You transfer the "undeveloped film" to an RV, and then recover it for a big pile of money.

- The basic idea is: the Hexagon is a long-term investment. It should be really expensive to launch, but in return it would give you a nice pile of kerbucks - after several months in orbit. Yeah, you can use timewarp - but who cares? It's all about roleplay. And you'll probably miss a lot of launch windows.

- Mapping camera should work as a SCANSat tool, so it can be used for BDB KH contracts. Launch a Hexagon, complete the contract, and then let it generate some money.

Edited by biohazard15

2 hours ago, ItsJustLuci said:

Are there any plans to rework the BDB Apollo CSM any time soon? I heard some rumors that this might be happening soon...

1 hour ago, davidy12 said:

Yes it's gonna happen.

When it'll happen? When Cobalt is ready.

The Apollo Saturn update is right after this update (1.7). There's a google doc for update 1.8 where you can suggest your ideas to the team. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PwBgY6SWmrqPFAQ4OMHrwMrEJtN1CjBwg2ZiiJAzrtE/edit

I had some hinkiness with the Apollo/S-V combo shown above. I wanted to do an orbit raising maneuver using the S-V. I set the S-V as "control from here", made sure the combo was in prograde, then lit it off. Both the RL-10's on the S-V AND the SPS on Apollo lit off at the same time, effectively nulling the maneuver. Is this MechJeb related or did I goon something up? I have done the same thing with a Gemini/Agena combo and this did not happen. Hmmm...

27 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I had some hinkiness with the Apollo/S-V combo shown above. I wanted to do an orbit raising maneuver using the S-V. I set the S-V as "control from here", made sure the combo was in prograde, then lit it off. Both the RL-10's on the S-V AND the SPS on Apollo lit off at the same time, effectively nulling the maneuver. Is this MechJeb related or did I goon something up? I have done the same thing with a Gemini/Agena combo and this did not happen. Hmmm...

could try shutting down the SPS using the action menu man