[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 minutes ago, Delta dart said:

I'm in 1.9.1 and all of my mods (a lot[I have a problem]) would break if I updated.

You can use the latest BDB in KSP 1.91

Just now, gabo04 said:

What are all the parts with the spin table function?

Just the Juno 1 rocket - Etoh nose cone and Vicenza upper stage.  You need Dock Rotate for it to work.

Just now, Friznit said:

Just the Juno 1 rocket - Etoh nose cone and Vicenza upper stage.  You need Dock Rotate for it to work.

Ok. Thanks. That feature is cool :D

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

If you want to be more precise about when to stage you can work it out like this in the VAB editor

Huh, look at that. I've been jettisoning the skirt based on G forces ... between 2 1/2 and 3, which drops the G to about 1 after separation. I wonder if that works out just because of the payloads I typically have on top of the Atlas?

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Huh, look at that. I've been jettisoning the skirt based on G forces ... between 2 1/2 and 3, which drops the G to about 1 after separation. I wonder if that works out just because of the payloads I typically have on top of the Atlas?

And I just use this!

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/wiki/Atlas-Payload-Performance

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

If you want to be more precise about when to stage you can work it out like this in the VAB editor

If you want to be EVEN MORE precise, there are some charts in the wiki showing the Atlas performances. There is also a manual on how to use those because a stage and half rocket can be quite tricky to calculate the Δv

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/wiki/Atlas-Payload-Performance

I think they have been updated after the engine balance in BDB 1.6

Edited by Marcelo Silveira

3 minutes ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

If you want to be EVEN MORE precise, there are some charts in the wiki showing the Atlas performances. There is also a manual on how to use those because a stage and half rocket can be quite tricky to calculate the Δv

I think they have been updated after the engine balance in BDB 1.6

Oh cool I thought you never got around to it. We should probably move those charts to frizs wiki since that’s the main wiki now. 

I checked right now, they are up to date regarding the engines' thrust and Isp. Regarding the mass... I'm not sure... did the masses change at some point?

The charts with upper stages might not be valid anymore :/ because there were some changes to many upper stages.

Edited by Marcelo Silveira

5 minutes ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

I checked right now, they are up to date regarding the engines' thrust and Isp. Regarding the mass... I'm not sure... did the masses change at some point?

The masses did change at the same time as the thrust and isp but not since then I think. 

there might be changes to the agena and centaur masses for this update too

Edited by Zorg

Running Latest update of KSP.

I have several craft using a now depreciated pioneer solar panels and a few research stations using a depreciated DeltaK Short Tank.

Many of the craft are satellites making up the bulk of my Communication network

The Research stations are Space stations that are to be retired when they finish researching all the data they have remaining in their labs.

Was Wondering if there is some way to update the save file to fix the issue or will I need to just back up to the previous version until those vessels are are replaced?

You'd have to edit the parts for each vessel using those parts in your save. It'd be easier to figure out what the parts are then make a copy of the parts outside of BDB before updating to ensure compatibility. Although I don't think anything's been hard-deprecated (read deleted) in BDB 1.7, only set to hidden in the parts lists. The old part will be deleted from the mod eventually, but that's probably going to happen in the next update.

14 hours ago, Joe.L said:

Can anyone help, i'm trying to launch an Atlas-Agena rocket however, I'm not sure how to use the Bossart skirt, when I launch the fuel from those engines that are in the skirt just use the fuel from the main tank, therefore there is no use having a jettisonable skirt. Is this really how it worked, the skirt was jsut detached at a suitable altitude as opposed to when those engines were starved of fuel? 

To expand on the answers given, when the Atlas was first being designed in the early to mid-'50s, it was not known if a rocket engine could even be started in space. So to make sure all the engines would operate, they were all started on the ground, then the outer 2 booster engines would be dropped off at some point, leaving just the running sustainer. This is known as "stage and a half" operation.

Later on it was figured out that a rocket engine could be started in space, especially if it used hypergolic fuels...and thus was born the AJ10, which was used in the upper stage of Vangaurd, later spun off as the Able upper stage.  But of course, by then it was far too late to change Atlas, so it stayed with its stage-and-a-half style. :) 

2 hours ago, Doc Shaftoe said:

You'd have to edit the parts for each vessel using those parts in your save. It'd be easier to figure out what the parts are then make a copy of the parts outside of BDB before updating to ensure compatibility. Although I don't think anything's been hard-deprecated (read deleted) in BDB 1.7, only set to hidden in the parts lists. The old part will be deleted from the mod eventually, but that's probably going to happen in the next update.

Should I place the Two files under a new folder in GameData or somewhere different I found both Files that are in the zDepreciation folder upon first test of copying the files to the BDB folder under parts /(The part type folder) and the game still said they are missing... 

I have a folder that I named "CompatibilityStuff" in my GameData folder where I dump old parts, modified cfgs, etc. You'll have to play with the part paths in the part cfgs themselves, but as long as the part name hasn't changed, the part should still work in-game. You'll need to delete or comment out the "techhidden=true" portions in the configs and probably change their title from **deprecated** to something else, but they should work out of the box.

17 hours ago, Joe.L said:

Can anyone help, i'm trying to launch an Atlas-Agena rocket however, I'm not sure how to use the Bossart skirt, when I launch the fuel from those engines that are in the skirt just use the fuel from the main tank, therefore there is no use having a jettisonable skirt. Is this really how it worked, the skirt was jsut detached at a suitable altitude as opposed to when those engines were starved of fuel? 

Adding my 2 cents here:

Atlas-Centaurs, especially later versions (D-1AR and II family) have a very narrow "post-BECO TWR >1" window. For example, on Atlas IIA with SAF EPF and 1.3 t payload you'll need to drop the skirt at T - 5s (this leaves about 40s of sustainer burn time). Such rockets should be flown using what is called a lofted trajectory. You can read about it here: https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Launching-and-Trajectories

2 hours ago, Doc Shaftoe said:

I have a folder that I named "CompatibilityStuff" in my GameData folder where I dump old parts, modified cfgs, etc. You'll have to play with the part paths in the part cfgs themselves, but as long as the part name hasn't changed, the part should still work in-game. You'll need to delete or comment out the "techhidden=true" portions in the configs and probably change their title from **deprecated** to something else, but they should work out of the box.

thank you very much. Will work on that tomorrow.

On 10/16/2020 at 6:21 AM, Zorg said:

You could call it a sustainer engine.

As opposed to calling it what? :)   Convair's (and later Lockheed's) nomenclature for the LR-109 was Sustainer, so I think that's the only appropriate term to use.