[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

16 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

First off, the upgraded Inon is one of my favorite engines. It's light, powerful, and fuel efficient. Perfect for landers on a tight dV budget. Yeah, the fuel is bulky, but that's able to be worked around if you're clever.

How do you keep LH2 from boiling off?

24 minutes ago, Kuu Lightwing said:

How do you keep LH2 from boiling off?

21 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

that would be my question, too: how would you get more hydrogen? and how do you keep it from going away?

That's a fair question. I use the refrigerated tanks from Cryo Rockets and Atomic Rockets. It uses a healthy chunk of EC to keep the boiloff from happening. There's a reason I have big freaking solar panels on the mothership... as well as a small nuclear reactor for when the solar power doesn't cut it anymore.

As for getting more, the same packs introduce a mode to the ISRU units that allows you to make more LH2 on-site.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

As for getting more, the same packs introduce a mode to the ISRU units that allows you to make more LH2 on-site.

This is a good thing. The limiting factor of all Hydrogen rockets is the range. I get range anxiety with my centaurs, my S-IVBs and my Ares V-wait.

3 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

That's a fair question. I use the refrigerated tanks from Cryo Rockets and Atomic Rockets. It uses a healthy chunk of EC to keep the boiloff from happening. There's a reason I have big freaking solar panels on the mothership... as well as a small nuclear reactor for when the solar power doesn't cut it anymore.

Here's some images of the landers in question:

VejAqaf.png

DSgHdqL.png

The tanks with the gold foil insulation textures are the refrigerated tanks. 

Edited by MaverickSawyer

Speaking of Large bore SRB/SRMs   I see in the roadmap that the AJ-260 is in WIP status for both full and half length variants.   Will their be an option for a Nose cone (or a Fuel tank/Nose cone combo) for some of the more, "energetic" Saturn-V Derived rockets?   Or  are these being developed exclusively for the Low Cost Saturn I replacement?

Several proposals for Saturn V/MLV mention additional fuel to that of the S-1C mounted to the AJ-260s and fed via fuel pipe to the S-IC.

PS for those not in the know, the AJ-260 is the worlds largest monolithic SRB/SRM.  That is to say the entire rocket engine is a single casing and not a series of "segments" ala space Shuttle SRB or UA-120x SRM.  Thrust on the order of 35,390.7kn (that is 35.3 million newtons/ 7.2 million pounds of thrust...) over a period of 118 seconds at sea level.   The full size AJ-260 is still in it's test pit in Florida.   Too big to remove, and the test done late at night at Cape Canaveral, lit up the sky in Miami almost 200 miles away!

Today was a busy day: The first Lunar Base is born and awaiting crew. The J-2 was only fired twice (TMI and braking) the RL-10's were for course corrections and final 'vernier' landing. The crew will finish converting the tankage into living space and begin the first set of missions.

Ko0np3o.png

13 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Speaking of Large bore SRB/SRMs   I see in the roadmap that the AJ-260 is in WIP status for both full and half length variants.   Will their be an option for a Nose cone (or a Fuel tank/Nose cone combo) for some of the more, "energetic" Saturn-V Derived rockets?   Or  are these being developed exclusively for the Low Cost Saturn I replacement?

Several proposals for Saturn V/MLV mention additional fuel to that of the S-1C mounted to the AJ-260s and fed via fuel pipe to the S-IC.

PS for those not in the know, the AJ-260 is the worlds largest monolithic SRB/SRM.  That is to say the entire rocket engine is a single casing and not a series of "segments" ala space Shuttle SRB or UA-120x SRM.  Thrust on the order of 35,390.7kn (that is 35.3 million newtons/ 7.2 million pounds of thrust...) over a period of 118 seconds at sea level.   The full size AJ-260 is still in it's test pit in Florida.   Too big to remove, and the test done late at night at Cape Canaveral, lit up the sky in Miami almost 200 miles away!

I know what you're talking about - for those that don't know, IRL they try and attach the mounting brackets for side boosters to the interstage sections of the core, which are sturdier than the tank walls. Because the AJ-260 was significantly shorter than even the standard S-IC (even the full length solid), they put auxilary fuel tanks on top of them that pumped into the core tanks, sort of like KSP asparagus staging. This let them extend the length of the boosters up to the interstage between the S-IC and the S-II.

As for your question, yes I'd like to be able to offer that level of support but obviously it takes time and there's a lot of stuff going on. For what it's worth, @VenomousRequiem modeled the AJ-260s some months ago and I've partially cleaned up/refined those models.

10 hours ago, Abrecan said:

Today was a busy day: The first Lunar Base is born and awaiting crew. The J-2 was only fired twice (TMI and braking) the RL-10's were for course corrections and final 'vernier' landing. The crew will finish converting the tankage into living space and begin the first set of missions.

Very nice!

So a question for someone more knowledgeable than me: For the H03 Multibody, would the 2 side boosters also feed the center stage and then be dropped during the flight leaving the center stage full or would all 3 drop at once?

4 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

So a question for someone more knowledgeable than me: For the H03 Multibody, would the 2 side boosters also feed the center stage and then be dropped during the flight leaving the center stage full or would all 3 drop at once?

I think you'd have to throttle back the center core until the boosters run out of fuel, after which you'd throttle up again.

Or you could use external fuel lines

Edited by Hay

6 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

If I remember correctly Saturn Multibody Heavy has the middle core stage at 50-60% thrust with the side cores at max thrust. After side separation, the middle core throttle up if needed.

Edited by Daelkyr

34 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

I'd like to make a request for the manual. It would be useful for a chart that lists the top and bottom diameters of each part. It could just be a spreadsheet but a chart with images would be awesome.

I don't know if I get you well, you want to add diamater chart on the images ? If it is that I might look at it forward for a next update

I've got a couple of (what I hope are) silly questions about some of the SPICA/Gemini parts.

How do I attached the areodynamic nosecone on top of the docking adapter?  There isn't a visible node on top of the docking adapter so the nosecone never "clicks" into place.  When I try my best to put it in the right spot, I don't get the option to decouple node to remove it.  For now I'm resorting to copy/pasting the entire assembly from the craft I downloaded from KerbalX.

How do you use the gemini docking port?  I tried docking two of them together but they never seem to capture.  I also tried docking one with the agena adapter but those also failed to capture.  I did extend the indexer and that helped with alignment but the docking craft just pushes the other craft around.  Is there a part I'm missing in this configuration?  Or something else I need to turn on to allow docking?

Thanks

1 minute ago, AndreZero said:

I've got a couple of (what I hope are) silly questions about some of the SPICA/Gemini parts.

How do I attached the areodynamic nosecone on top of the docking adapter?  There isn't a visible node on top of the docking adapter so the nosecone never "clicks" into place.  When I try my best to put it in the right spot, I don't get the option to decouple node to remove it.  For now I'm resorting to copy/pasting the entire assembly from the craft I downloaded from KerbalX.

How do you use the gemini docking port?  I tried docking two of them together but they never seem to capture.  I also tried docking one with the agena adapter but those also failed to capture.  I did extend the indexer and that helped with alignment but the docking craft just pushes the other craft around.  Is there a part I'm missing in this configuration?  Or something else I need to turn on to allow docking?

Thanks

Can you post some pictures of your issues?