[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

14 hours ago, somnambulist said:

@CobaltWolf -- could you look at the ladder and hatch colliders on the LEM? My Kerbals won't climb the ladder on the descent stage and can't "climb out" onto the platform in front of the hatch. 

Yeah I noticed that last time I was testing. I'll take another whack at it. Does anyone know what other parts are doing that? I *think* the MOL doesn't do it, Mercury still might... Apollo and Gemini maybe...

9 hours ago, NeoFatalis said:

@CobaltWolf lol, I wanted to watch the stream replay in school but it wouldn't load and in the same moment you decided to upload these, the engine looks great, is this going to be part of bdb or a new mod?

New mod me and some other modders are working on, I just dropped it here cus I haven't made a thread yet.

4 hours ago, Beale said:

I wonder what that is...

It's a big improvement.

Yeah well... I had something good to start from.

3 hours ago, DarthVader said:

Blue streak engine?

3 hours ago, TheRedTom said:

Looks like the engine of the first stage of Europa to me :P

3 hours ago, Jall said:

I think it is probably.

Yuppers! Blue Streak, aka the Europa first stage engine. And it will have... 3 different mesh switches? You'll see. :) I'm hoping to stream again tonight, maybe make the first stage fuel tank? I'd like to test some ideas I have for how I'm going to model/unwrap/texture Atlas's tanks in a more interesting way, so that's doubly productive, right?

2 hours ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

why does the word 'Brexit' come to mind?

farage.jpg

15 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Something different, something new...

USX2gj2.png

Wow, No one could finish the quote?!?!?!   Something borrowed something Blue......er Streak! :sticktongue:   It was fun watching you develop that as well as converse with you during your twitch stream last night!  As I stated last night, I can't wait to use that as a SRB replacement for my Titan and Saturn variants! :)

22 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Wow, No one could finish the quote?!?!?!   Something borrowed something Blue......er Streak! :sticktongue:   It was fun watching you develop that as well as converse with you during your twitch stream last night!  As I stated last night, I can't wait to use that as a SRB replacement for my Titan and Saturn variants! :)

*blink* I didn't even know, the phrase was just in my head when I went to throw the post up! I plan on trying to stream tonight as well, though I don't know what time it would be. I'm fighting hard to get this composite to look... right.

Also, we were wondering last night about the center engine on the bottom two stacks? It's a vacuum optimized variant of the RZ.2, I can't find if it's supposed to be air started or not.

Europa3_zps1ffc0ffe.jpg

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Also, we were wondering last night about the center engine on the bottom two stacks? It's a vacuum optimized variant of the RZ.2, I can't find if it's supposed to be air started or not.

I think it was dropped in favour of Ariane... but maybe Brexit changed that in the BDB timeline :)   Black_Arrow_RK2013.jpgBlue_Streak_RK2013.jpgEuropa_RK2013.jpg

1 hour ago, TheRedTom said:

I think it was dropped in favour of Ariane... but maybe Brexit changed that in the BDB timeline :)   Black_Arrow_RK2013.jpgBlue_Streak_RK2013.jpgEuropa_RK2013.jpg

Yes and while I am not a person involved with the Brexit mod, I can clearly state Blue-Streak / the various Europa versions posted above by CobaltWolf is coming home to roost!

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

*blink* I didn't even know, the phrase was just in my head when I went to throw the post up! I plan on trying to stream tonight as well, though I don't know what time it would be. I'm fighting hard to get this composite to look... right.

The question on Air started can be answered simply.  Do 4 RZ.2s on the radial LRB sets have enough power to lift the Europa (I assume they are RZ.2s?)   

But that means the Brittish made ALL the parts for a British Atlas except the 1n1/2 stage separation parts.   Sustainer (VO RZ.2,) Booster (RZ.2) and Balloon tanks (LOX tank.)  

Does that mean the LRBs for Europa 34L are also RZ.2 engines?   How much of the existing RZ.2 geometry can be re-used for the LRBs?

Serious progress on the tank tonight! The tank you see will be cut up and rearranged (and probably some more new texturing) to total 5-6 tanks in the end, rounding out the 1.875m tanks for BREXIT. Note the labels on the smooth portion of the tank. You won't be able to surface attach to that part of the tank. In return, the tanks will have lighter dry mass compared to normal tanks of the same volume. This reflects the stage's IRL partially balloon tank construction. I'm sure you all will be able to design around this. :wink: This sort of 'ruleset' will be used for the revamp of the Atlas (non Atlas-V) parts.

ptMMlVy.jpg

qubABER.png83RJoH9.pngKZv5mzb.pngSzAxXVz.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

PLEASE tell me it's not really gonna be called the BREXIT rocket. :confused:

And definitely not the mod as a whole. If for no other reason than to preempt all the random political hate people will inevitably post. What about... not guna lie, I just came up with a bunch of names but they all abbreviate to BDB... :P

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

7 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

PLEASE tell me it's not really gonna be called the BREXIT rocket. :confused:

4 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

And definitely not the mod as a whole. If for no other reason than to preempt all the random political hate people will inevitably post. What about... not guna lie, I just came up with a bunch of names but they all abbreviate to BDB... :P

Its called British Rocket EXpansion and Integration Technologies. Any abbreviations or political implications thereof are the onus of the user.

Edited by CobaltWolf

20 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

that almost looks like an atlas 3 first stage too... suggestion.

Atlas 3 is pretty much the same tankage as the other Atlas rockets, just without the long shoulders that go down to the booster skirt. With that said, this tank is partially balloon construction. Part of the reason I'm doing it is because then I'll have a clear idea of how to move forward with the Atlas revamp in terms of texturing and modeling.

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Atlas 3 is pretty much the same tankage as the other Atlas rockets, just without the long shoulders that go down to the booster skirt. With that said, this tank is partially balloon construction. Part of the reason I'm doing it is because then I'll have a clear idea of how to move forward with the Atlas revamp in terms of texturing and modeling.

the blue streak engine looks like a atlas 3 pants'ed RD-180

2 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

the blue streak engine looks like a atlas 3 pants'ed RD-180

Oh my god you're right, I didn't even think of that. The engine looks exactly the same. And it has a Centaur on top too!