[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Now in game: GEM-40 (updated), GEM-40-Inline (was requested), GEM-46, GEM-60, GEM-60XL (I wanted a longer one...). All have switching between 3 colors of stripe (or none at all), and all can switch between straight and angled nosecones. Delta II core and AJ-60A for comparison!

TEIP6F8.png

@CobaltWolf Encylcopedia Astronautica "http://www.astronautix.com/" is where I usually go for dimension references when trying to build RL rockets, both scaled and in RSS. Has amazing references for both flown and proposed designs, the only drawback is sometimes attempting to find the correct name something was under, especially for stages like centaur. I usually go to the rocket design i am attempting to find and then use the links there to correct stage models.

2 hours ago, space_powder said:

Not sure if this was already asked before, but will you ever bring the CST-100 Starliner to go with the Atlas V?

That's a little outside the scope of this mod AFIAK, but the existing CST-100 mod is designed to be launched with BDB's Atlas V.

3 hours ago, space_powder said:

Not sure if this was already asked before, but will you ever bring the CST-100 Starliner to go with the Atlas V?

Get one here

40 minutes ago, Kablob said:

That's a little outside the scope of this mod AFIAK, but the existing CST-100 mod is designed to be launched with BDB's Atlas V.

No, it wasn't, but I modified it and now if fits perfectly :D

1 hour ago, Kablob said:

I don't really want to get two new mods (Contares Core + Contares CSM) just for a nose cone, and I'd like to see the CST-100 in BDB's beautiful style

8 hours ago, dbandy13 said:

@CobaltWolf Encylcopedia Astronautica "http://www.astronautix.com/" is where I usually go for dimension references when trying to build RL rockets, both scaled and in RSS. Has amazing references for both flown and proposed designs, the only drawback is sometimes attempting to find the correct name something was under, especially for stages like centaur. I usually go to the rocket design i am attempting to find and then use the links there to correct stage models.

Astronautix is a great source, but I always try and find another corroborating source because I have found A LOT of errors in those entries over the years. By the way, Wikipedia doesn't count since usually they cite Astronautix. :) Sometimes Astronautix is the only source I can find that has numbers for something, and then I need to make a judgement call if I believe it. For the curious, by errors I generally mean using 'placeholder' numbers in place of hard numbers where he can't find better sources, for example the Titan-Barbarian rocket stages are listed as being the same diameter as the Titan 3!

As an example of other sources I use, with these GEMs I was able to just find Orbital ATK's 2008 solid motor catalogue and use that as my source! :) In general my number one source is photos of the actual rocket in question. Often there are variations between individual rockets of a design, giving me flexibility and options for how I detail a rocket. Some of my favorite websites for more information, besides Astronautix, include (in no particular order):

Again, in general the important thing I've found is to try and find multiple sources for anything, though often I am limited to just one. I figured I'd try to list as many as I can remember, since I know a lot of people haven't heard of some or even all of these. Hopefully a few people are going down a rabbit hole today...

4 hours ago, space_powder said:

1 hour ago, Kablob said:

1 hour ago, Drakenex said:

Get one here

No, it wasn't, but I modified it and now if fits perfectly :D

19 minutes ago, space_powder said:

I don't really want to get two new mods (Contares Core + Contares CSM) just for a nose cone, and I'd like to see the CST-100 in BDB's beautiful style

Don't tempt me :P I've thought about it after seeing @Drakenex's attempts to clean up that old CST-100 model. I don't have time for it unfortunately. Of course, if someone wanted to make a mini mod with a complete, fresh CST-100 it would be a nice limited scope project... :)

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Don't tempt me :P I've thought about it after seeing @Drakenex's attempts to clean up that old CST-100 model. I don't have time for it unfortunately. Of course, if someone wanted to make a mini mod with a complete, fresh CST-100 it would be a nice limited scope project... :)

Amazing list Mr Wolfie!! Thanks. If you're a builder like me, just add Andegraf's rocket catalog and done.

Well, if anyone is up to the task I can help with textures.

Edited by Drakenex

14 hours ago, dbandy13 said:

Astronautix is a source of last resort.

15 hours ago, GrubbyZebra said:

BDB works fine for me in 1.4.3 in case you don't want to switch.

Tried 1.4.4 and couldn't stand the changed RCS and Sepratron/separation motors sounds. I tried for awhile to see if I could adjust to the new sounds and just could not do it. Tried flying a few of my saved crafts with the new sounds and holy smokes it just ruined the experience for me. Every time the RCS thrusters fired, I just cringed. Went back to 1.4.3 to keep my ears happy.

Edited by MikeO89

I don't mean to be picky or anything, but when you do update this mod, could you add some more electric charge to the narly probe core? The amount of electric charge it currently has is not enough to transmit the temperature data.

19 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

Oh, yes. I found out since those parts were originally made that segment is actually the avionics core, not a fuel tank. I didn't want to break craft files (indeed, the fuel load got distributed to the other parts so the dV should be the same), but since the parts are not released yet maybe it would be better to change the part's name? Shoot, I could make a separate model that still has the little fuel tank end caps and keep the new one as a separate control core part. What do people think? Might be confusing.

18 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

Astronautix is a source of last resort.

Not 'last resort', as I said just try to corroborate with other sources (that *don't* cite astronautix), and be skeptical of the numbers instead of accepting them at face value.

6 hours ago, MikeO89 said:

Tried 1.4.4 and couldn't stand the changed RCS and Sepratron/separation motors sounds. I tried for awhile to see if I could adjust to the new sounds and just could not do it. Tried flying a few of my saved crafts with the new sounds and holy smokes it just ruined the experience for me. Every time the RCS thrusters fired, I just cringed. Went back to 1.4.3 to keep my ears happy.

To stem off anyone asking, I don't believe I have the ability to change the sounds back to the old ones. I think Squad just overwrote them.

2 hours ago, mr. engino said:

I don't mean to be picky or anything, but when you do update this mod, could you add some more electric charge to the narly probe core? The amount of electric charge it currently has is not enough to transmit the temperature data.

Just pushed a small commit to Github, dropped the packet cost to 0.4 EC from 1.5. Is that better?

Side note, but just wanted to gently remind people that we primarily try to keep track of issues on the Github repo, since that way any information on said bugs can be permanently catalogued and addressed when we have a chance to get around to it. So, logging issues there is appreciated, but please make sure that you have documented it properly, and check to make sure there isn't already a similar issue. Anything related to work in progress parts should be logged under the main issue for them, etc.

@CobaltWolf Ah, that makes sense.  It just looked odd in the change log to see a fuel tank with a probe core.  I'd lean towards making it a probe core with some fuel rather than categorizing it as a fuel tank with a probe core?

(Currently running off the BDDB master branch in my save.)

The omnis with the long range and low EC/Mit (most KSP antennas use 5-7 EC/Mit) is tricky.  Adding a bit of EC storage here or there may be what is needed (so that there's enough EC to transmit a 2Mit packet).  Maybe I should parse the config files, looking for command cores along with their EC storage values (plus mass, costs).  I have a tool to do so.