[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Unless you have other part mods to get a SLA from, I wouldn't recommend using the Saturn Rescale. Rather I would patiently await Cobalt to get through everything else that is a higher priority before he gets back to Saturn.   Sure the Saturn Rockets are quite 0.64 scale.   BUT then again, and I wasn't around this forum thread when Cobaltwolf decided what size to use, the Saturn is basically made up of Stock or "logical" Stock progression sizes.   IIRC S-IVB would have to be 4.25m  to be 0.64 RL diameter, (same for S-I/-1B/-1(a) with E-1) The S-IV stage would end up being IIRC 4.0m Max Diameter, the AJ260s would also be 4.25m diameter.   Lets not talk about S-IC/S-II.

Ugh,   Does this mean I get to bring litigation against you, Cobaltwolf, for using Asbestos on your F-1 Engines?   :P:cool::D

Seriously, while I won't likely use them, I think you took an ugly duckling and made it look like a Trumpeter Swan with that Insulation.   Is that a B9 Switch or is it a separate engine?  

So if I don't use the rescale, what happens overall? I kinda forgot exactly what the effect of the patch was.

2 hours ago, birdog357 said:

So if I don't use the rescale, what happens overall? I kinda forgot exactly what the effect of the patch was.

Your Saturn IC/IB would be made up of more "Kerbal-Friendly" sizes.  

TL:DR Version, the Rocket (esp the Saturn V) will look a little off but it will work and you will have expended a minimal effort to make it work.

Long Version.

Specifically 3.75m for all of the IB stack,  The S-IV ends up at 3.125m and the decoupler between S-I and S-IV now will fit, the SLA will taper from 3.75m to 2.5m (incidently 2.5m is the correct size for the C+SM for 0.64 scale... unrounded it is 2.4958m IIRC at 0.64 scale)  The S-IC/S-II will be smaller as well but I think they are 5.25m (I don't remember off the top of my head.)  

15 hours ago, Pappystein said:

<snip>

Ugh,   Does this mean I get to bring litigation against you, Cobaltwolf, for using Asbestos on your F-1 Engines?   :P:cool::D

Seriously, while I won't likely use them, I think you took an ugly duckling and made it look like a Trumpeter Swan with that Insulation.   Is that a B9 Switch or is it a separate engine?  

They are B9 Switched.

Quiet here... :) First off, wanted to announce that I'm likely streaming at least two nights this week. Keep an eye on the thread or follow me on Twitch to get notified when I start.

Second, here's another sneak peek of the next update: Agena engine revamp! :)

k3ioqUU.png

That looks amazing. Will you also be touching up the tankage and other Agena hardware? I think that you could experiment with the metallic shader on the skin.

I'm in two minds about having a more metallic look.  Take the Apollo (Kane) crew module for example: whilst a shiny finish would be more realistic, it'd be so far removed from the stock looks and feel that they'd feel out of place if mixed together.  The Titan revamp is superb but is (only just) still on the border of usability with other stock parts, and then of course helped by restock bringing the standard of those other parts up to par.  Legoability is fundamental part of the game.

Stayputnik is shiny, and it doesn't stand out too badly (other than being better made than most stock parts, but ReStock helps with that). I think that a shiny Agena would fit in just fine. On the real Apollo, the SM wasn't shiny, either, and a combination of shiny and non-shiny parts can look great if done well. I'd really like to see that expressed on Atlas someday, but Agena also qualifies.

2 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

That looks amazing. Will you also be touching up the tankage and other Agena hardware? I think that you could experiment with the metallic shader on the skin.

1 hour ago, Friznit said:

I'm in two minds about having a more metallic look.  Take the Apollo (Kane) crew module for example: whilst a shiny finish would be more realistic, it'd be so far removed from the stock looks and feel that they'd feel out of place if mixed together.  The Titan revamp is superb but is (only just) still on the border of usability with other stock parts, and then of course helped by restock bringing the standard of those other parts up to par.  Legoability is fundamental part of the game.

15 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Stayputnik is shiny, and it doesn't stand out too badly (other than being better made than most stock parts, but ReStock helps with that). I think that a shiny Agena would fit in just fine. On the real Apollo, the SM wasn't shiny, either, and a combination of shiny and non-shiny parts can look great if done well. I'd really like to see that expressed on Atlas someday, but Agena also qualifies.

The problem is the shader works really poorly for anything that isn't just "solid shiny". On the IUS I could just keep the foil areas as a separate mesh. The Agena is too complicated. Again, the shader is a really crap implementation that gives you almost no control over what you're doing. As a result I wasn't intending on using it for the Agena. But yes, Agena is getting a full remake same as the Titan, but not until after the Titan update is released.

Note that "solid shiny" does descibe the Atlas and Agena skin pretty well. Apollo CM, too. This is not a subtle effect, the tank cylinder is a single shiny aluminium cylinder (the black part is the cable tunnel).
Nimbus-B_big.jpg

I know the limitations of the shader, and I'm pretty convinced that this sort of thing is within its abilities. If you can't make it look right, no worries. If it works, though, it might come very handy if you decide to take a look at Atlas tankage at some point.

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Note that "solid shiny" does descibe the Atlas and Agena skin pretty well. Apollo CM, too. This is not a subtle effect, the tank cylinder is a single shiny aluminium cylinder (the black part is the cable tunnel).

I know the limitations of the shader, and I'm pretty convinced that this sort of thing is within its abilities. If you can't make it look right, no worries. If it works, though, it might come very handy if you decide to take a look at Atlas tankage at some point.

The big issue I have is the fresnel/rim lighting effect that happens with the shader that occurs regardless of lighting. That's why the insulated F-1 didn't use the shader, I tested a bunch of different textures with the reflective shader and the bright rim lighting around the top of the engines, around the otherwise dark/dull base of the rocket, was really distracting.

EDIT: Also, saving that pic cus it's nice. Have a pic of some WIP Thor revamp that I haven't shown yet...

uUgPLN4.png

Also... BDB dev stream tonight starting some time between 5:30 and 6:30 PM Eastern.

Edited by CobaltWolf

That could indeed be a problem, but what does it have to do with the insulated F-1? Thermal blankets typically aren't very shiny. On the pictures I've seen, the F-1 ones do seem to have some sort of metallic coating, but matte rather than reflective (hard to tell, really, the pics are few in number). Either way, it's a very different kind of mesh from a fuel tank.

@CobaltWolf I just had a thought regarding the Thor and Jupiter engines. Particularly, the engines conundrum. I think I found a (surprisingly obvious, in the hindsight) way of setting them up so that they make sense.

1. S-3D would feature a gimbaled turbopump and switchable Jupiter boattail.
2. LR-79 would have start tanks, fixed exhaust and switchable Thor and Delta style boattails. 
3. Standalone boattail would be switchable between Jupiter, Thor and Delta variants. 
4. LR-101s in standalone Thor-style housing, with a switchable fairing (IRL, the fairing was used with boosters). 

Neat, consistent (that's more or less exactly how you set up Titan), flexible, and extensible. It also gets rid of the weird Jupiter pump exhaust part. Admittedly, this would probably need some more work than the previous plan, but I believe it'd be beneficial in long term.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, akron said:

The bloom is real

How are the Helios solar cells in-game? In the render something looks a little odd, could be just me. Love the antenna

I need to check them against the restock panels / @Nertea's newer stuff. Those all look... idk almost teal compared to mine. They are a slightly different pattern than normal - they're extra space between the columns, because Helios was only partially solar cells and the rest was polished metal to try and reflect heat. I did, incidentally, try it with the new shader but wasn't really happy with the look.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I need to check them against the restock panels / @Nertea's newer stuff. Those all look... idk almost teal compared to mine. They are a slightly different pattern than normal - they're extra space between the columns, because Helios was only partially solar cells and the rest was polished metal to try and reflect heat. I did, incidentally, try it with the new shader but wasn't really happy with the look.

Here’s the issue I see with your solar panels just in general when compared with restock, etc. Right now the solar panels are just blueish squares placed over a grey background, and it looks somewhat cartoonish when placed next to the high quality textures of the rest of the mod. This is nothing against you, it just shows how mod has been trending more to realism recently and the solar panels haven’t caught up. It’s nothing more than another set of parts you’ll probably want to update at some point I think.

On 7/27/2019 at 1:04 AM, DeltaDizzy said:

Well to be fair I didnt say how many H03s I would be launching. The answer is 5. (but yes this particular launch is an orbiter, at least for now) This is in 2.5x but the homeworld is a bit smaller than Kerbin would be at the same scale.

screenshot1321.png

@DeltaDizzyWhat planet/texture pack is this? I couldn't find any hints in the thread.  It looks like a dried out Laythe. :)

43 minutes ago, claustro said:

@DeltaDizzyWhat planet/texture pack is this? I couldn't find any hints in the thread.  It looks like a dried out Laythe. :)

This is Beyond Home by Gameslinx. The body you see in this picture is Lua, innermost moon of the homeworld (which is named Rhode). The story behind it is that it was partially terraformed.