[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I am definitely considering redoing the LEM engines cus I checked the LMDE on the Delta P and... yeah... it was *bad*. I just worry about making decisions about stuff like the mounting solutions without knowing what the new LEM will look like. Idk, is the TR-201 substantially different from the LMDE in any way that would make sense to just have it as a separate part..?

It doesn't. The whole point of Delta P and RS-27 was to fly leftover Apollo hardware. LMDEs were minimally modified to account for steady state operations, then strapped to Delta stages.

3 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

It doesn't. <SNIP>minimally modified to account for steady state operations

While I agree it is the same model for game purposes....   I am assuming by "minimally modified," you mean:

• ripping out all ability to throttle (both in electronics and control devices )
  • significantly lightening the engine (by the previous point)
  • Altering both the thrust and ISP (again an aftereffect of the first point.)

It was a minimal change engineering wise,   All they did was calculate the optimal Pintle location for Thrust and ISP.  Then they significantly removed the off engine avionics package, weld the pintle into position and remove all pintle motive equipment.   All of this was on top of the combustion chamber and would not be visible in either model.    But the Engine itself had to go through a re-manufacturing process on the top of the combustion chamber.   It would have been almost cheaper for NASA/McD to order new built TR-201s custom made to match the Delta's profile....    But then the Govt would still be sitting on TR-201 (LMDE) vs the TR-201(Delta-P) engines.   And storing those engines would cost $ and scraping unflown un-needed engines is "wasteful."

In the CFG I posted above I calculated engine mass based on real world engine mass and cube root mathematical progression.   Admittedly I acquired the engine mass (and thrust) info from a less than reliable sources...

So... my point here...

This is what a LMDE looks like.

Rocket%20Engine,%20Liquid%20Fuel,%20Apol

This is what a TR-201 looks like...

tr201.jpg

My point being... that's exactly what it looks like on the Delta P. All the stuff on it in the LMDE isn't present. So I think I'll make the TR-201 and LMDE separate parts and that way I don't cause myself headaches down the road somehow with the LMDE. :)

AtXCD96.jpg

27 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

So... my point here...

This is what a LMDE looks like.

This is what a TR-201 looks like...

My point being... that's exactly what it looks like on the Delta P. All the stuff on it in the LMDE isn't present. So I think I'll make the TR-201 and LMDE separate parts and that way I don't cause myself headaches down the road somehow with the LMDE. :)

The combustion chambers look different to me. The LMDE has a bigger combustion chamber it looks like. So definitely different parts.

Edited by GoldForest

I'm using the dev build and the latest version of B9 part switch, and the Atlas LR89 engine configs don't seem to be selectable. I have all tech nodes unlocked

edit: I can select the variants in sandbox mode, but in my career game, I'm using the "Tree Toppler" mod to unlock the entire tech tree, yet the engine variants aren't available to me. Any idea?

Edited by subyng

1 hour ago, subyng said:

I'm using the dev build and the latest version of B9 part switch, and the Atlas LR89 engine configs don't seem to be selectable. I have all tech nodes unlocked

edit: I can select the variants in sandbox mode, but in my career game, I'm using the "Tree Toppler" mod to unlock the entire tech tree, yet the engine variants aren't available to me. Any idea?

This looks like a problem with the tree toppler mod. Looking at the repo for it, looks like it uses a plugin of some sort to unlock the tree and B9PS probably does not pick up on whatever its doing. If you must unlock the tree I suggest using Alt+F12 to cheat yourself a bunch of science and actually unlock the nodes which I can confirm works just fine.

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

The combustion chambers look different to me. The LMDE has a bigger combustion chamber it looks like. So definitely different parts.

It's just perspective. The only difference visible is the avionics boxes on top.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

You can do that, sure, though it seems like an odd choice. The thing is, gameplay-wise, the engines will be identical, besides the mass reduction on TR-201 (and it's already pretty lightweight). I think that it should fit into the current LM, at least, there's no need to have multiple parts here. Could you make the model so that it can be modified with additional mounting options in the future?

6 hours ago, Pappystein said:
  • Altering both the thrust and ISP (again an aftereffect of the first point.)

Thrust and ISP didn't really change, but were simply fixed in place. It's being reported as different, because LMDE's maximum thrust was past peak Isp, so they're going with that. If you throttled down the LMDE to this exact value, you'd get the exact parameters of TR-201.

4 hours ago, Zorg said:

This looks like a problem with the tree toppler mod. Looking at the repo for it, looks like it uses a plugin of some sort to unlock the tree and B9PS probably does not pick up on whatever its doing. If you must unlock the tree I suggest using Alt+F12 to cheat yourself a bunch of science and actually unlock the nodes which I can confirm works just fine.

It's even easier than that: the Alt-F12 cheats menu has a button to unlock all technology, i.e. the whole tree at once.

It's finally here...

WQb0TfP.png

Click the image above to be linked to the full release album!

New Features:

• Part upgrades are now handled through B9 switches. Allows users to choose the old versions for cost reasons or replica building.
  • Type switching via B9 (not linked to upgrades) such as for sea level and altitude optimised versions of some engines and SRBs.
  • Numerous parts have received new stat upgrades, researchable at the R&D Building
  • New real names patch in BDB Extras. Parts have been updated with real names, descriptions and manufacturers where available (thanks to @IronCretin, @MotokiKuN and @Zorg)
  • EngineIgnitor compatibility added (thanks to @Rock3tman_)
  • Fully redone plumes for both stock particle system using PlumeParty based FX including FX exclusive to BDB (thanks to @JadeOfMaar)
  • Overhaul of RealPlumes for BDB, except for SRB plumes all use bespoke RealPlumes mostly built using plume party and custom FX (thanks to @Zorg)
  • Thrust termination abort mode added to UA120 series solid boosters.
  • Plume switching for ahistorical Kerolox versions of several hypergolic Titan engines
  • Comprehensive documentation and build guides available on the (unofficial) BDB wiki (thanks to @Friznit)
  • Compatibility support for KSP Breaking Ground expansion inventory for appropriate parts
  • Compatibility support for rescue pod validator (Thanks to @DeltaDizzy)
  • Compatibility support for Universal Storage 2
  • JSO’s procedural fairings for BDB mini mod has been added natively to BDB compatibility files.
  • LH2 only and Monoprop tank types added to BDB fuel switcher for all tanks.
  • Custom engine lighting configs with colours to match plumes for some engines (thanks to @Zorg)

xjVCbFa.jpg
Artwork by @Oreak

Balance Changes:

• All engines both upper and lower now use a consistent scaling factor of 25% of real world thrust value. Thrust and masses of all engines which used 37% and 50% adjusted.
  • Wet workshops now have boil off for LH2.
  • Dioscuri-4 'Dziran' Solid Rocket Motor rebalanced to match Castor IV stats. (inline version remains balanced as an overscaled Scout second stage).

sQfpCMR.jpg?1
Screenshot by @Zorg

Deprecated parts and features:

• All old titan parts are soft deprecated.
  • All diamant parts are soft deprecated.
  • Soft deprecated parts will be hidden in tech tree and VAB. They will be hard deprecated in a minor release soon after BDB 1.6. Craft using these parts should be retired.
  • Old realnames patch in BDB Extras has been removed.
  • Old sandbox patches in BDB Extras has been removed, all upgrade versions of a part are now selectable via B9 switches.
  • Titan II GLV patch for old titan parts has been removed.

mRXNJaq.jpg
Screenshot by @Zorg

Bugfixes:

• Fix Paxus-MGL120/SR3 "Menelaus" rotation
  • Fix Belle Docking Port pink material

uVL1jFe.jpg
Screenshot by @Zorg

Miscellaneous:

• Updated art for the Bossart (Atlas) parts
  • Kane active docking port and parachute mount shape tweaked.
  • Bare mount 0.625m switch added to Kane active docking port
  • Patch to add LR87 AJ9 as a subtype to the AJ5 added to Extras.
  • A patch added in extras that buffs upper stage engines back to 50% of real world values and engines which have both upper and lower stage variants to 37.5% (this was the old balance)
  • Updated existing USI life support patches with new USI module names (thanks to SilveiraMarcel)
  • Updated tweakscale patches (Thanks to Silveira Marcel and Zorg)
  • Leo service modules texture brightened to better match with new MOS parts.
  • Updated Saturn HG3 patch in BDB Extras (thanks to Pappystein)
  • Added downward firing RCS to Vejur engine mount.
  • Update SMURFF compatibility for JNSQ

hBiagB2.png
Screenshot by @Jay The Amazing Toaster

New or Remade Parts (190 in total!):

Spoiler

Mw3b3r8.png
hhylSqv.png
RtnNFC8.png
Mqm0A5M.png
UwfLW53.png
bIodpd4.png
BVI9ZNY.png
IutgBD1.png
57oP7aE.png
pjXKOiK.png
wzfMqqn.png
IJ2cxRl.png
keQYqlz.png
QoQv16p.png
6JYC9Gi.png
m58rF1m.png
QYYzmYB.png
YyZ6EqR.png
r4yTdOG.png
sHdDdYk.png
KfLgm9e.png
tQbZ6xQ.png
XEnNC5N.png
3sS5MC6.png
bFriSnZ.png
rbB5pLm.png
hNMUMsr.png
ai2Dr0D.png
DLXM1Y4.png
OfNTAoJ.png
DiCYsY8.png
jxnUNQE.png

zbb8Tlj.png

Screenshots:

kqwcrRL.jpg
Screenshot by @Zorg

Known Issues:

• None at the moment!

40nPl1O.png
Screenshot by @DeltaDizzy

Craft Files:

WtQad48.png

Recommended Mods:

Spoiler

I wish this could be exhaustive, but that would be impossible - there's so many good mods for KSP! Here are some that are a) great b) fit with the historical parts in the pack and c) are made by great people!

cANnWdT.png
Screenshot by @Zorg

I just wanted to give thanks to a couple users in particular, but not in a particular order.

@Zorg put a massive amount of work and effort into this update. All the fantasticly tuned plumes and a lot of the cfg work for this update goes to him.

On a similar note, @JadeOfMaar made many of the assets used in the BDB plumes and it really wouldn't look the same without his work.

@Friznit for taking on the massive task of documenting this mod and responding quickly to my inane corrections to his wiki.

@Nertea for showing me a better way to handle engine emissives and just in general keeping me motivated.

@Jso for contributing as much as he could to this update. Hope your recovery is swift and you're back to working on BDB as soon as possible!

And, of course, YOU, THE USERS! This mod would absolutely NOT still be happening if I didn't get to see people enjoying the mod and sharing what they created with it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

DOWNLOADS:

THIS UPDATE IS MASSIVE, CONTAINS TOO MANY CHANGES TO PROPERLY DOCUMENT, AND WILL LIKELY BREAK SAVES.

PLEASE BACK UP YOUR SAVE BEFORE INSTALLING. IT IS RECOMMENDED TO START A NEW GAME WITH THIS UPDATE.

Also, reminder that stock part balance is very overpowered for a stock system. It is recommended to play with a 2.5x-2.7x rescaled system, or a system with a native rescale like JNSQ.

Github and Spacedock

If you want to support further development of Bluedog Design Bureau, please consider donating via Patreon or Paypal.

Edited by CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

Looking at the config there are specific nodes for the atlas engine upgrades but those nodes dont even appear on my tech tree. I'm not using any tech tree mods.

1 hour ago, subyng said:

Looking at the config there are specific nodes for the atlas engine upgrades but those nodes dont even appear on my tech tree. I'm not using any tech tree mods.

The upgrade nodes for the Atlas appear in advanced rocketry and heavy rocketry. If you're not seeing them then something else is interfering. I have checked and the nodes are fine. If they are still not appearing after removing tree toppler, I suggest a fresh install of BDB.

22 minutes ago, Zorg said:

The upgrade nodes for the Atlas appear in advanced rocketry and heavy rocketry. If you're not seeing them then something else is interfering. I have checked and the nodes are fine. If they are still not appearing after removing tree toppler, I suggest a fresh install of BDB.

So are they separate icons on the tech tree or do they appear *in* the nodes for advanced and heavy rocketry? What I meant is that I didn't see any new icons on my tech tree.

Edited by subyng

This is probably the finest body of artwork to come out of KSP. Congratulations @CobaltWolf - this magnum opus will probably only be equalled by your next release. 

I have been privileged to watch this evolve over the last few months and it's really stellar, and I want to highlight a few things. In my opinion it's not clear enough to the average user how much work Cobalt has put into making this accurate - from trawling through blurry pdfs for reference to getting ahold of actual industry personnel to confirm the locations of tiny RCS thrusters. It's an amazing show of dedication to the project and should be lauded. It's gotten so good that I now look at BDB models for reference *first*. Cobalt has a talent for distilling the elements of a crazy, wire-covered engine into something clear, recognizable and artistically clean. I love it. 

But not content with producing mad accuracy, Cobalt has in my mind singlehandedly managed to prove to the community that realistic does not have to mean importing NASA models into KSP or similar. It's not just accurate, it exudes style and all fits together damn perfectly. That's a massive achievement in my books. I think that he's managed to collect such a legion of followers and people who make screenshots that are too good is a testament to this. 

Watching BDB evolve has been a pleasure (and a sadness because now I have to compete).

Congrats again.

To put it eloquently, trying to fathom the scale of this update after seeing the changelog and all these screenshots, is like standing in Godzilla's footprint and somehow not knowing yet what Godzilla is and that he was just here. It's simply so big and so great, and I agree with Nertea in that I've seen just how sensitive and eager @CobaltWolf is towards ensuring all the little details are present in any part he makes. Congrats on this gigantic release. It's like a whole new mega parts pack in itself due to all those new and improved part families.