[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

12 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

You can't even mask for biomes... just a bit mask for situation (Flying low/high, landed, splashed down, orbit low/high) and I think there's a boolean to check for atmosphere.

Sorry folks,   I am so tired that I don't know if I am coming and going....    (Checks the words written.  Yeap that sounds right)   I don't think I have gotten 5 hours of sleep in 24 in the last 3 weeks.   But the Busy season will slow a bit at work after the Holidays and maybe I won't be working so many 16hr days!

You know you are badly off when you Say Good night to yourself as you are walking out the door to go to work.       BUT the Weekend beings now for me so...    Night all :P

OK seriously (well I was serious about working 16hr days)    I was looking at several science defs recently to see if I could help in that way...  I thought some of the stock Science defs did not work everywhere...   So you could mask it with the 0 Science "does not work here" type message?   Too tired/fatigued to dig into my notes tonight to check what I was even looking at.   So IDK.   Sorry if I was wrong but maybe there is a workarround that people have ignored for these last .... 6 years?   Lord knows I have found enough workarounds for "impossible" things in other games.   

Further, re the new art pictures put up today.  LOVE the Spy sats being built.   Love the Science return bucket.   I can't wait to play with them...  But that is probably at-least 3 weeks away for me....  RE Photo bucket color, yes the Spy sat program did try a myriad of colors on these guys because... they were SNATCHED out of the AIR by a C-130 or in one or two cases, CH-53B Sea Stallion.   Both Craft used a modified "retrieval" part from the B-17/C-130 Fulton Gear to snatch and retract the photo bucket's parachute.   And yes, one of the older James Bond movies (Thunderball) uses a B-17 with Fulton gear to retrieve an agent... And The Dark Knight did as well.  

6 hours ago, Pappystein said:

OK seriously (well I was serious about working 16hr days)    I was looking at several science defs recently to see if I could help in that way...  I thought some of the stock Science defs did not work everywhere...   So you could mask it with the 0 Science "does not work here" type message?   Too tired/fatigued to dig into my notes tonight to check what I was even looking at.   So IDK.   Sorry if I was wrong but maybe there is a workarround that people have ignored for these last .... 6 years?   Lord knows I have found enough workarounds for "impossible" things in other games.   

Yeah you can mask off certain situations such as an experiment can be made to only work in low orbit, but not in high orbit or in atmosphere or landed (these are the messages you are seeing). The issue is that it will work in low orbit on every body. You can mask off atmospheres too so an experiment for instance can work while landed on an atmospheric body but it will work on every such body. 

Within a given situation you can also enable whether it picks up biome specific data or not. 

What you cannot do is for example set up an experiment that only works on Kerbin and the Mun but not other bodies. The situation masks always apply to every body that satisfies the conditions. I presume only some custom plugin work would get around this. 

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Finally stopped dragging my feet on getting the new Castor IVs made... and y'know what, how about something approximating a Castor-IVA XL?

Nice Shapes.  Look real REAL good.    Are we going to see a Castor IVB with the shrouded bell?  

Also are those Castor I and II (the left two?)

23 hours ago, Pappystein said:

they were SNATCHED out of the AIR by a C-130 or in one or two cases, CH-53B Sea Stallion.   Both Craft used a modified "retrieval" part from the B-17/C-130 Fulton Gear to snatch and retract the photo bucket's parachute.   And yes, one of the older James Bond movies (Thunderball) uses a B-17 with Fulton gear to retrieve an agent... And The Dark Knight did as well.  

Gotta love Soviet engineers. Instead of flying cargo planes and playing catch, they simply put all the spy stuff into (slightly) modified Sharik, so it could be landed and retrieved at leisure pace.

17 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Finally stopped dragging my feet on getting the new Castor IVs made... and y'know what, how about something approximating a Castor-IVA XL?

Nice work. Will you be making a Castor II, too? It should fit on the texture, it's just a bit (about 20cm) longer than Castor I. 

Love your work cobalt, top tier KSP mod in bluedog. I was wondering, I check everyday and your always making new parts so how do you release updates? Is there a test version you do and wait a while for the official or is it a time or a project thing? And if you don’t mind when can we expect the next official update release?

3 minutes ago, Big Katz said:

Love your work cobalt, top tier KSP mod in bluedog. I was wondering, I check everyday and your always making new parts so how do you release updates? Is there a test version you do and wait a while for the official or is it a time or a project thing? And if you don’t mind when can we expect the next official update release?

I upload everything to a development branch on Github as it becomes available (I work on multiple PCs and only have Unity on one for... uh... reasons, so the pacing item is usually finding time to sit down and get things in game) which you're more than free to play with / use. But don't use it in any sort of career save (balancing the new stuff generally happens last, sometimes long after I've done the basic work of just getting the part to load in game), and don't use it in a sandbox save you care about (things are developed pretty fast and loose so crafts can break and stuff like that). If I remember the current dev branch has around 150 new or remade parts compared to BDB v1.6 from the end of October.

No ETA on the BDB v1.7 release. I have a lot of content planned that all sort of relies on each other (new payloads need new rockets and vice versa).

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

There's already a Castor II..?

Where? If you mean the alternate variant of Castor I, it's too short for that. I thought it was some variant of Castor I that got misnamed.

While they don't agree on exact measurements, all sources I checked agree that Castor II was longer. It's rather hard to squeeze more fuel into an SRB without changing dimensions.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Dragon01 said:

Where? If you mean the alternate variant of Castor I, it's too short for that. I thought it was some variant of Castor I that got misnamed.

While they don't agree on exact measurements, all sources I checked agree that Castor II was longer. It's rather hard to squeeze more fuel into an SRB without changing dimensions.

Can I have a link?

2 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

I would add that it is TOTALLY possible to add more fuel to a Solid Rocket Motor without changing dimensions...   However the Rocket will not behave at all the Same...   Right up to 100% utilized Fuel volume = to no flight at all.  Just a big bomb.   Assuming we are talking a Plastic fuel like PBAN or HTBP.   Black Powder is a different animal entirely and not germain to this discussion... except it is the only solid fuel that you would HAVE to add dimensions to a rocket for more fuel.

Most solid rockets motors of the PBAN and HTPB vary significantly in percentage of fuel area volume utilization but most max out at  60 and 70% their maximal fuel volume.    The rest of the space are voids to allow for even burning.     The large Segment SRMs like UA1205 and Shuttle SRBs get a slightly higher percentage but they carry mixed fuels.  IE not a single fuel type inside them.   Sure some of the fuel is actually listed as a "restrictor" because it burns at a lower speed than the rest of the fuel... Thus reducing maximal thrust but enhancing burn time and reducing pressure inside the SRM. 

RE Castor I and II IIRC the Castor II is fatter for fuel containment but not in overall maximal diameter (IE the form is more filled out but it did not grow in diameter.)  But it is longer in length too as Dragon01 has pointed out.   *Diggs through Rocket docs... to find they are not on this PC*   SOMEWHERE I have an old manufacture catalog (prior to the ever popular Northrop Grumman one) that lists ALL the Castors back to Castor I.

2 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_2/United_States_5/Delta/Design/Delta_2.htm
https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_eng/sergeant.htm

Astronautix quotes lower figures, but they're also different for both motors. I'm not sure what's the deal with multiple versions of Castor II, but it might have been offered in several lengths (I have no data on the specifics).

6 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

I would add that it is TOTALLY possible to add more fuel to a Solid Rocket Motor without changing dimensions...   However the Rocket will not behave at all the Same...   Right up to 100% utilized Fuel volume = to no flight at all.  Just a big bomb.   Assuming we are talking a Plastic fuel like PBAN or HTBP.   Black Powder is a different animal entirely and not germain to this discussion... except it is the only solid fuel that you would HAVE to add dimensions to a rocket for more fuel.

Most solid rockets motors of the PBAN and HTPB vary significantly in percentage of fuel area volume utilization but most max out at  60 and 70% their maximal fuel volume.    The rest of the space are voids to allow for even burning.     The large Segment SRMs like UA1205 and Shuttle SRBs get a slightly higher percentage but they carry mixed fuels.  IE not a single fuel type inside them.   Sure some of the fuel is actually listed as a "restrictor" because it burns at a lower speed than the rest of the fuel... Thus reducing maximal thrust but enhancing burn time and reducing pressure inside the SRM. 

RE Castor I and II IIRC the Castor II is fatter for fuel containment but not in overall maximal diameter (IE the form is more filled out but it did not grow in diameter.)  But it is longer in length too as Dragon01 has pointed out.   *Diggs through Rocket docs... to find they are not on this PC*   SOMEWHERE I have an old manufacture catalog (prior to the ever popular Northrop Grumman one) that lists ALL the Castors back to Castor I.

It's an easy enough change to make (just... stretch the texture in the upper half of the castor II), but I'd love to have confirmation from a primary source before I do it :)

Got that Test paint scheme in for the Sparta / WRESAT parts

cMGEmsp.png
HDvbHZG.png
7STrNA1.png
GRKcW9q.png

@Zorg really outdid himself with these plumes - the thrust vanes all have little extra tails coming off them.

EXsYDp5.png
DoRIuBA.png

I wound up attaching a cold gas system to the Antares to help with the attitude issues I had during my last Sparta attempt. I wound up adjusting the colliders after the flight.

jUC8u8o.png
G9G4eRM.png
OnaC6pt.png
mKgp3q2.png
7tNSDdU.png
2QAFY0d.png

WRESAT in orbit, with its new copper paint job, ready to explore the ionosphere. :)

9nOSZT2.png

34 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

It's an easy enough change to make (just... stretch the texture in the upper half of the castor II), but I'd love to have confirmation from a primary source before I do it :)

Got that Test paint scheme in for the Sparta / WRESAT parts

WRESAT in orbit, with its new copper paint job, ready to explore the ionosphere. :)

9nOSZT2.png

1) I see where the confusion can come from RE Castor I and II.  ... First Ed Kyle says castor II is a slower burning Castor I and all his documents site the exact same length for the two rockets.   and Second most of the sources for the Castor Rocket dimensions site the original SCOUT dimensions for Castor I and II.  By adding a 11 degree cant and longer engine nozzle to the Castor I you end up the length of the INLINE Castor II.      I will work at piecing together some info but here are some models to consider.   I have not found my Thiokol document I thought I had....   I only have the newer Orbital ATK and NGIS versions of the catelog.  They stop at Castor IV.

TX-33 is the Castor I in inline form.

TX-33-? is strapon version having issues tying down the exact sub-variant (there may not be one?)

TX-354 is the Castor II in inline form.

TX-354-5 is the Castor II for Delta II (and it is longer than the 354 as described above)

TX-354-4 is also listed as a CASTOR II for Delta II (THEORY!  the -5 is the airlit and the -4 is the groundlit versions.)

TX-526 is Castor IV (unknown sub variant)

TX-526-2 is the Delta II strap on variant of Castor IV

TX-780 is the Castor IVA with it's HTBP fuel (MOAR thrust MOAR ISP for MOAR mass)

TX-780-1 is the Castor IVA for the Delta II

The TX numbers do not always have a hyphen between the TX and the model number... it is document dependent (so you need to search for TX33 AND TX-33 to find relevant data completely)

Sources for the model numbers...    Designation-Systems.net (an oldie but goodie) and BBOW.    BBOW lists TX33 as for Polaris and a "High Performance TX-33" for Scout, Blue Scout etc.

=================================================

Whoops forgot the rest of the post! :P

Love the new art guys.   I can't wait to put a Copperpot in space...   Too bad it doesn't have a Penguin graphic on it!  Sorry I have Batman Returns playing in the background.   one Movie away from the most quotable Batman in the entire film catalog of Batman movies!

Cobalt, thanks for the copper texture.  and thanks for the black band behind it.    But let me guess, you own stock in Duracell?   :P

All jokeing aside, I think the Copper texture is both unique and interesting.   I can't wait until I have time to play with it...  

Edited by Pappystein