[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Having just gotten back in the game and waiting for BDB 1.7, I have only briefly looked through the current hotfix and hadn't looked at previous release so don't know all the details.  So think it just applied to the variants of the fairings themselves as going through a few fairings only saw stock fairing textures on the fairings.

2 hours ago, hemeac said:

Having just gotten back in the game and waiting for BDB 1.7, I have only briefly looked through the current hotfix and hadn't looked at previous release so don't know all the details.  So think it just applied to the variants of the fairings themselves as going through a few fairings only saw stock fairing textures on the fairings.

Good to know . This doesn' t really affect me because I only use SAF fairings .

On 9/30/2015 at 3:21 PM, CobaltWolf said:

[Snip]

Could you please make a lighter version of this? i love using the Apollo parts but all of the other probe parts that i don't use kills my game and makes it super laggy :(

Edited by James Kerman
redacted by a moderator

4 hours ago, JoshTheKerbal said:

What happened to the fairings?

They don't work in 1.10.0

Can you please investigate?

KSP 1.10.0 broke modded fairings. There is no way to get them to work properly. You must upgrade to KSP 1.10.1 and use BDB v1.6.3.

4 hours ago, golkaidakhaana said:

I haven t tried out the latest version in 1.9 yet , what is meant by the fairing texture variants have been removed ? The variants of the fairings themselves , or the white/grey/black variants of the fairing bases ? Does this apply to SAF fairings too ?

3 hours ago, hemeac said:

Due to how problematic the new fairing module is to deal with even after the 1.10.1 "fixes" we removed variants from the fairings themselves for the stock type fairings. The fairing bases will still have paint variants. None of this affects the procedural fairings patches or SAF.

8 hours ago, TruthfulGnome said:

Could you please make a lighter version of this? i love using the Apollo parts but all of the other probe parts that i don't use kills my game and makes it super laggy :(

If you go into Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Parts, you can delete any folders (besides "Generic" and "Shared") and it will remove those parts without breaking anything else. So if you didn't want... well, I don't claim it's the best organized thing, but if you don't want the probe parts most of them are in the "ProbesExpansion" folder which can be deleted safely. :)

3 hours ago, Bellabong said:

This doesn't look safe to launch ... That poor Agena...

~snip~

It's got the whole team on it's back! :D

EDIT:

11 hours ago, hemeac said:

I don't know when 1.7 will be released but I don't anticipate it being soon. I want to apologize to everyone for the continued delay on work for this update - At the pace I normally work at we'd be a lot further ahead, but the lockdown and mental health issues and frankly an uptick in my professional work has made it hard to keep making progress. Simply put - I haven't been able to put a lot of time into modding the last few months. I just want to reassure everyone I'm by no means burnt out on BDB and I'm still trying to get back to work on it.

Edited by CobaltWolf

how dare you delay YOUR mod that YOU make and work on in YOUR FREE TIME that you are offering FREE OF CHARGE to EVERYONE!!!?!?!?!!! /s

But seriously, it's your own mod, and we're not paying you to make it or anything, since you're graciously providing it to us for free, even when you work on it in your own spare free time. 

There's really no need to apologize for that, it's your mod, no-one has any right to pressure you to work harder/faster other than you yourself (don't overdo it though!) @CobaltWolf

10 minutes ago, Galland1998 said:

Anyone know if this mod works with Kerbalism?  I was doing a JNSQ build with BDB and was wondering what folks experience was.

So far, so good!

I've only done early probes so far, but all the experiments are showing up in the Kerbalism mechanic. I think there may be some (?) that still have a stock popup, but those were being fixed in the next release of BDB. I've also seen pods and such have Kerbalism features and storage.

2 hours ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

how dare you delay YOUR mod that YOU make and work on in YOUR FREE TIME that you are offering FREE OF CHARGE to EVERYONE!!!?!?!?!!! /s

But seriously, it's your own mod, and we're not paying you to make it or anything, since you're graciously providing it to us for free, even when you work on it in your own spare free time. 

There's really no need to apologize for that, it's your mod, no-one has any right to pressure you to work harder/faster other than you yourself (don't overdo it though!) @CobaltWolf

Hey, that kind of Snarky message is supposed to come from ME :D

But you have hit my salient points without me even being here to comment.    I agree 100%.   no need to apologize  CobaltWolf.   And while COVID is becoming the most used excuse of the year, in general,   You just keep working at what you can.   I just wish you had time on Saturdays for Dev Streams.... :D

1 hour ago, Galland1998 said:

Anyone know if this mod works with Kerbalism?  I was doing a JNSQ build with BDB and was wondering what folks experience was.

1 hour ago, Beetlecat said:

So far, so good!

I've only done early probes so far, but all the experiments are showing up in the Kerbalism mechanic. I think there may be some (?) that still have a stock popup, but those were being fixed in the next release of BDB. I've also seen pods and such have Kerbalism features and storage.

Can confirm.

My only issue is getting the MV-4 "Zufar" Film Camera to work.

But, that probably has more to do with a chair-keyboard interface problem. :cool:

Can anyone clue me in on how the MV-4 "Zufar" Film Camera supposed to work. 

Edited by TranceaddicT

1 hour ago, Beetlecat said:

If you're in 1.10, and *not* 1.10.1, there's no reason not to update.  That's what TranceaddicT is suggesting.

They won't update. They were in the Tantares thread as well, and everyone was telling them to update, but they just ignored us, asking Beale to update their(beale) mod for their(Josh) version, which is impossible since 1.10.1 changed the fairing system to be incompatible with 1.10. Just let them be. If they cause a problem, mods have said just report them. 

Edited by GoldForest

8 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

Can confirm.

But, that probably has more to do with a chair-keyboard interface problem. :cool:

If you have a problem with a science experiment with Kerbalism I suggest checking with the Kerbalism devs. Compatibility patches for BDB (and most other mods?) are centralised within Kerbalism itself so that they can maintain them properly.

34 minutes ago, northern said:

is there a build guide for the new Centaur anywhere? Im a bit confused about how the parts go together.

Im on the dev version.

There's still a few centaur parts missing I believe, but the setup goes like this for the current parts:

Centaur Avionics and Control System (The new part is hollow in the center)
Centaur 1.875m Fairing Base (Optional, but if you use it, switch the Centaur 1800 tank from Centaur-D to Standard so you don't get part clipping)
Centaur-D 1800 Fuel Tank (The new part has a nose cone like point at the top)
Centaur Engine Mounting Plate (The new one has a lot of wires on it and is light gray/white instead of dark gray.)
2 x RL-10-A Cryogenic Engines (The new engine has 5 part variants instead of 3. To figure out which variant to use, hover over the variant button and a description will pop up telling you which centaurs used which RL-10 model.
Centaur 1.875m Interstage (Make sure to change the part variant depending on which RL-10 variant you choose. If you use the A-4, use the long version so there's no part clipping during staging.)

@CobaltWolf Do you plan on doing the Centaur Fairing Load Support thingies... Sorry, I don't know what they're called.

Edited by GoldForest

22 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Nope, no need to apologize. Your mod gets worked on at your pace. Thanks for letting us know that the next version won't be released soon.

22 hours ago, Doc Shaftoe said:

@CobaltWolf Take all the time you need. No apologies necessary.

20 hours ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

18 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Hey, that kind of Snarky message is supposed to come from ME :D

But you have hit my salient points without me even being here to comment.    I agree 100%.   no need to apologize  CobaltWolf.   And while COVID is becoming the most used excuse of the year, in general,   You just keep working at what you can.   I just wish you had time on Saturdays for Dev Streams.... :D

17 hours ago, hemeac said:

@CobaltWolf, please take your time and take care. Your mental health needs to always be top priority. I thought you had been working very quickly and amazed at the scale of the project and all the care that's gone into the project.

I know but I want new stuff toooo... :)

6 hours ago, northern said:

is there a build guide for the new Centaur anywhere? Im a bit confused about how the parts go together.

Im on the dev version.

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

There's still a few centaur parts missing I believe, but the setup goes like this for the current parts:

Centaur Avionics and Control System (The new part is hollow in the center)
Centaur 1.875m Fairing Base (Optional, but if you use it, switch the Centaur 1800 tank from Centaur-D to Standard so you don't get part clipping)
Centaur-D 1800 Fuel Tank (The new part has a nose cone like point at the top)
Centaur Engine Mounting Plate (The new one has a lot of wires on it and is light gray/white instead of dark gray.)
2 x RL-10-A Cryogenic Engines (The new engine has 5 part variants instead of 3. To figure out which variant to use, hover over the variant button and a description will pop up telling you which centaurs used which RL-10 model.
Centaur 1.875m Interstage (Make sure to change the part variant depending on which RL-10 variant you choose. If you use the A-4, use the long version so there's no part clipping during staging.)

@CobaltWolf Do you plan on doing the Centaur Fairing Load Support thingies... Sorry, I don't know what they're called.

Close but not quite :)

• Like you said, the avionics goes on top. I believe I'm planning on adding a 1.875m payload truss like on the Centaur D-1T as a mesh switch. 
  • The "generic" 1.875m fairing base goes below that. It's actually intended to be used with the top dome of the tank enabled - not an elegant solution, but the clipping isn't really visible. There were a couple reasons I did it like this:
    • We don't really like having fuel in parts like engine mounts or avionics these days. This way the fuel is kept in one part.
    • It means the Centaur looks... well, correct :) and we can represent the additional (and significant) fuel volume in that top dome. I'm aware I didn't address the bottom dome, not sure what to do there...
    • The avionics being hollow means they could potentially be used as some sort of interstage when combined with a decoupler.
    • Minimize the overall impact on other parts / keep things as "lego" as possible.
    • It's worth noting that I believe at least one "drop in" alternate fairing base is planned - one that will represent the slightly-expanded MPF fairing used on some of the Atlas I / II launches. (See the leftmost fairing in this image)
  • A small note on the tank, but I don't know how a D-1T is going to be built. I haven't looked into it or spoken with @Jso to determine whether the insulation can merely be switched off - perhaps they can chime in. Otherwise that will need to be a separate part.
  • I believe the interstage should always be used in the "Long Centaur" variant for historical builds - the short one is actually too short, and only that length because it is a legacy part. I believe the extra length is because IRL the Atlas tank dome extends up into the interstage, while normally we recess tank domes to make lego-ing easier. Obviously the Centaur itself (along with I think some of the Titan and Agena tanks) are an exception, and that's due to a combination of wanting to get that extra fuel volume and be able to get a more accurate look.
    • Note that the "Centaur" variants of the interstage are differentiated by having the extra fairing for the Centaur's LH2 Boost Pump.
  • Other than that I think everything you said is right. :)

I'm not sure what you mean about the load supports - are you referring to the ones used in the Atlas V 5xx? In which case, no, unless @Zorg wants to add them to the SAF PLF model. I am planning on taking a look at the Common Centaur parts and making sure they are in line with the more current/consistent artistic standard/style. I believe right now the grime is too intense compared to the rest of BDB, or Restock for that matter (which is the style I generally make an attempt to be consistent with)

19 hours ago, Galland1998 said:

18 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

So far, so good!

17 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

Can confirm.

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

If you have a problem with a science experiment with Kerbalism I suggest checking with the Kerbalism devs. Compatibility patches for BDB (and most other mods?) are centralised within Kerbalism itself so that they can maintain them properly.

Like Zorg said, Kerbalism compatibility is handled on their end, not ours. I know at least one of the devs was very actively updating / adding BDB compatibility for a while, but I don't know how much they've kept up with the dev branch.

EDIT: Part of why I haven't been getting as much BDB progress done - I helped @linuxgurugamer out with some fresh models for his L-Tech revival! Please feel free to check it out:

otEsNU2.png

Edited by CobaltWolf