[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

48 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Which version of the game are you on exactly? BDB v 1.6.3 stock type fairings work with KSP 1.10.1 but it does NOT work in KSP 1.10.0 specifically.

Ah, there's my problem.... I haven't updated yet to 1.10.1...

So yeah, thanks for your time :D

17 hours ago, Tweak[Box] said:

Ah, there's my problem.... I haven't updated yet to 1.10.1...

So yeah, thanks for your time :D

Yeah anyone reading this.   Unless you are mod restricted, I HIGHLY suggest you upgrade to 1.10.1   It works well with the BDB mod and it's group of dependencies.    I am only having issues with Tweakscale (that is going through major revisions right now and in an extreme beta testing phase)  and I can't get the 1.10.1 B9Pwings (alternate) that is on the "reacently updated" page of Spacedock to work even though it clearly says it is for 1.10.1.

I am running JNSQ with the Alternate Kopernicus for 1.10.1 and it is stable.  

6 minutes ago, Commodore_32 said:

Explain, how does it feel?

Does it looks too heavy?

No, it feels fine. I built it to the exact specifications on the manual. It's just that I can never get it into orbit with the standard gravity turn thing. I tried mechjeb, but mechjeb is just worse.

Just now, Misguided_Kerbal said:

No, it feels fine. I built it to the exact specifications on the manual. It's just that I can never get it into orbit with the standard gravity turn thing. I tried mechjeb, but mechjeb is just worse.

Then you probably built it wrong.

Just download the craft files

24 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

"Lofting" means a steeper climb early on giving you a higher than usual apoapsis and longer time to apoapsis when the low TWR upper stages burn. Try a 250 km top of turn in MechJeb. You can also try turning on corrective steering.

2 minutes ago, Jso said:

"Lofting" means a steeper climb early on giving you a higher than usual apoapsis and longer time to apoapsis when the low TWR upper stages burn. Try a 250 km top of turn in MechJeb. You can also try turning on corrective steering.

for JNSQ? I forgot to mention that. If I want a orbit of 100km, for JNSQ, what would I use?

23 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

for JNSQ? I forgot to mention that. If I want a orbit of 100km, for JNSQ, what would I use?

Try Primer Vector Guidance. Saturn V doesn't require any lofting in a quick test.

10 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

To follow up what Jso said, given I have NEVER gotten PVG to work with Ascent Guidance for Mechjeb. (nor have I put the effort into solving why after 5 failed attempts to use it)

I use Standard Ascent Guidance on the Saturn V stack,  I set the end of turn to be 20km below my maximum orbit (you have to click the box that says edit Ascent path and then when the new window opens there is a checked box for automatic/locked... de-select that.  Then you can manually enter the turn end.   Set the curve to atleast 50% (I do closer to 80% so I don't have to adjust it for other launches.)  and then close the small window,  Go back to the main window, re-verify your Orbit.  Verifiy you have Circularize Orbit checked.   And Go for launch.

Using those settings in JNSQ has resulted in 30 safe Saturn V launches in recent history.  

For the Saturn I I set end of turn to be 50km ABOVE my desired orbit, that way the rocket is climbing right to circularization and can't fall back through the atmosphere unless my orbit is in the sub 100km orbit range (IE JUST above the atmosphere!)  I set the curve to between 85 and 95%, usually I fly the 78-81% profile.   Make certain you Turn RCS on with the Saturn I launch for really low altitude orbits.   Because the Gyroscopic tipping force of the SAS(s) isn't enough to quickly tip the rocket to prograde burn for circularization.  

Edited by Pappystein

So just for grins today.  having not played with either Centaur or Delta IV... I thought I would combine the two.  A Full up Delta IV M5.4  (or whatever it is called with 4 SRMs), the Regeneratively cooled RS-68 (for grinz)  a Full up DUAL ENGINE DCSS, and a Centaur T.   All to loft my JX2 Antenna sat...

Spoiler

nsFT6Oe.jpg

P7kPsJk.jpg

7VmXT6x.jpg

a9WBbuC.jpg

70EeDs3.jpg

oC3DGjs.jpg

Sadly, I flew an poor flight path and did not plan on what needed to happen (this Satelite really needs to be well away from Kerbin).... But it was fun to launch.  Thanks for the new Delta IV @Zorg and the Centaur T.1 @CobaltWolf   Can't wait to actually fly these on a good rocket :D

16 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Looks like you are doing something very, very, very wrong.

Standard Saturn V-Apollo build is able to reach 100x100 orbit in JNSQ (or similarly sized Kerbin) without firing its S-IVB.

Here's how you do it with MJ's PVG:

1) Autostrut your rocket (use Editor Extensions to do it in one click).

2) Target Pe - 100km, orbit inclination - 0 (or whatever you need, or use Launch to Plane), Pitch start - 100m/s, Pitch rate - 0.3m/s, Omit coast ON. Force roll to 0 if desired. DO NOT use auto-stage and auto-deploy. Do all staging manually.

3) Activate RCS, activate autopilot, ignite the F-1s and let rocket sit on the pad for a couple of seconds.

4) Lift-off, let rocket fly. If desired, at T minus 30 to S-IC cutoff (use MJ's dV stats window) shut down the central F-1.

5) Decouple S-IC, let separation motors burn, then activate S-II. Several seconds later, jettison the interstage and LES.

6) And that's it. Sit back and wait until it reaches orbit.

Your staging should look like this (from bottom to top!!!):

- F-1s

- Pad stuff (launch clamps, umbilicals etc)

- S-II separation (ullage) motors, S-IC engine mount (it has separation motors too), S-II interstage

- J-2s on S-II

- S-II interstage and LES tower

- S-IVB interstage adapter and S-IVB's J2

- Petal adapter

- Apollo stuff (I recommend activating these manually via PAM or via action groups instead of staging)

Edited by biohazard15

On 10/4/2020 at 10:03 AM, CobaltWolf said:

220px-Hexagon.svg.png

15 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

I think I know the deeper meaning behind this.

It has to do with 6.

Puts tinfoil hat on: THE SIX CORNERS!!!

-1st corner: Mercury

-2nd and 3rd corner: Gemini (IE because of the Gemini twins)

-4th corner: Apollo

-5th corner: the satellites

-6th corner: the modern day.

Takes tinfoil hat off

Edited by davidy12

I wonder... Is there some science and\or funds generator planned for KH-9? Having four RVs (five, if you count the mapping nose) won't mean much if you can send all the available science on one.

Edited by biohazard15