[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Just now, GoldForest said:

I think @CobaltWolf Has said they won't do paraglidier Gemini. If you want Paraglider Gemini get KNES and the mod that allows its parasail to work.

There's also a paraglider Mercury concept.

I’m a little way into my new career save and currently having a blast with Gemini/Titan/MOL parts. But apart from the capsule and equipment module, I’m not seeing any internals for the crewed parts...? For instance the “Dorian” lab references Mobile_Processing_Lab_Int, but I can’t find that file anywhere in the BDB directory, along with other IVAs that I remember were present before the update.

6 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Is it meant to impact with the striped side first?

Edit: Scratch that, this technique does not work either.

What's your impact velocity? The timing of the solid is very critical (and not easy at all). I suggest making a quick save a few minutes before impact. You want to zero out velocity as close as possible and let it impact at 50m/s or less ideally. I've had success even at 75m/s and more iirc. But this can be inconsistent due in KSP physics.

2 hours ago, lemon cup said:

I’m a little way into my new career save and currently having a blast with Gemini/Titan/MOL parts. But apart from the capsule and equipment module, I’m not seeing any internals for the crewed parts...? For instance the “Dorian” lab references Mobile_Processing_Lab_Int, but I can’t find that file anywhere in the BDB directory, along with other IVAs that I remember were present before the update.

A lot of BDB parts dont have IVAs. Most station parts that do have them such as the Dorian lab use stock IVAs which is why you're not seeing them in the BDB directory. 

I just checked the Dorian lab and it looks fine. If you're not getting an IVA with that part perhaps something is wrong with your install (re Squad files).

4 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

some better resolution images here.

N-MOL looks more interesting to me. While there is a lot more parts required.

As I see it need MOL equipment module with a hole with gemini nose docking port, KH return capsule nest modified camera part into rader or something. But the hardest part seem to be jettisonable reactor on the back. None of BDB parts have reactor mechanic yet maybe just make a shround for NF kerbopower, I I'm not sure if the size is work or not

Edited by derega16

50 minutes ago, Zorg said:

A lot of BDB parts dont have IVAs. Most station parts that do have them such as the Dorian lab use stock IVAs which is why you're not seeing them in the BDB directory. 

I just checked the Dorian lab and it looks fine. If you're not getting an IVA with that part perhaps something is wrong with your install (re Squad files).

Ahhh got it. Thank you, I’ll check on that, I’m sure it was something I accidentally pruned with Janitor’s Closet.

Can anyone help, i'm trying to launch an Atlas-Agena rocket however, I'm not sure how to use the Bossart skirt, when I launch the fuel from those engines that are in the skirt just use the fuel from the main tank, therefore there is no use having a jettisonable skirt. Is this really how it worked, the skirt was jsut detached at a suitable altitude as opposed to when those engines were starved of fuel? 

17 minutes ago, Joe.L said:

Can anyone help, i'm trying to launch an Atlas-Agena rocket however, I'm not sure how to use the Bossart skirt, when I launch the fuel from those engines that are in the skirt just use the fuel from the main tank, therefore there is no use having a jettisonable skirt. Is this really how it worked, the skirt was jsut detached at a suitable altitude as opposed to when those engines were starved of fuel? 

Yes this is how it worked in real life. Atlas has 3 engines, the ones to the side are more powerful but are less efficient, the one in the middle is a bit more optimised for vacuuum.

The idea is basically to ditch the side booster engines to save weight (and gain a little more average efficiency) once you've used up enough fuel such that the center engine can carry it the rest of the way to orbit. As a general rule of thumb you can do this once you have about 1/3 of the fuel left in the first stage (or a bit less). Ideally you want just over 1:1 thrust to weight when you ditch the booster skirt. You can find the right moment for a given configuration with a little bit of experimentation. This is called One and Half staging. Since Atlas uses very lightweight balloon tanks (the in BDB Atlas tanks are lighter than normal liquid fuel tanks as well) you can get a significant performance bump if you time the skirt jettison at the right moment.

If you want to be more precise about when to stage you can work it out like this in the VAB editor

1) Build your atlas rocket with payload

2) Remove the booster skirt with its engines

3) reduce the fuel in your first stage until the thrust to weight ratio has come up to 1 or a little bit more.

4) Attach the booster skirt again and then check the time left in the stage burn. This might say something like 30 seconds for example.

5) Fill up the tanks again

6) Launch the rocket. Once the first stage says 30 seconds of fuel left, drop the booster skirt. Now your burn will be extended and you will get some more delta V.

3 minutes ago, Delta dart said:

TLDR: the main engine is vacuum optimized so it needs the booster engines to get it up into a vacuum then it separates and using the same tank adds simplicity.

The LR105 is not strictly speaking a vacuum engine. Its is somewhat more vac optimised than the LR89s but like the 89s its also lit on the ground. You could call it a sustainer engine.

The biggest performance bump comes from the weight savings by ditching the skirt and extra engines. The main reason this was done was back when the Atlas ICBM was designed was to get around the issues of lighting an engine mid flight.

3 minutes ago, Zorg said:

The LR105 is not strictly speaking a vacuum engine. Its is somewhat more vac optimised than the LR89s but like the 89s its also lit on the ground. You could call it a sustainer engine.

The biggest performance bump comes from the weight savings by ditching the skirt and extra engines. The main reason this was done was back when the Atlas ICBM was designed was to get around the issues of lighting an engine mid flight.

Would it be significantly more efficent to cheat and ignite the LR105 engine when you're done with the LR89s? 

4 minutes ago, Cattette said:

Would it be significantly more efficent to cheat and ignite the LR105 engine when you're done with the LR89s? 

I dont think so, the lack of nearly 1/3 of your thrust may not be enough to get off the pad at lift off to begin with with most Atlas configurations and even if you could any potential gains would be eaten by gravity losses from far too low TWR at lift off.

edit: You could try it with a small enough payload with some of the smaller atlas configurations with no upper stage though. That could work. But generally having high TWR for the early phase of the launch before you're mostly horizontal helps a lot, could be interesting to experiment and see how it works out though.

Edited by Zorg

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

If you want to be more precise about when to stage you can work it out like this in the VAB editor

Useful tip!  I've added it to the wiki :cool:

Edit: but where can you see the remaining burn time on the stage?

Edited by Friznit

5 hours ago, derega16 said:

N-MOL looks more interesting to me. While there is a lot more parts required.

As I see it need MOL equipment module with a hole with gemini nose docking port, KH return capsule nest modified camera part into rader or something. But the hardest part seem to be jettisonable reactor on the back. None of BDB parts have reactor mechanic yet maybe just make a shround for NF kerbopower, I I'm not sure if the size is work or not

That is a completely fictional concept from the Blue Gemini trilogy but if you want to re-create it I recommend using the book as reference.  I think its the advanced mk2/mk3 parts pack that has reactors and if you use tweakscale you could make the mk3 one look right. Edit: in the book it was an ocean surveillance version of the MOL operated by the navy that had to be rescued by gemini-1 due to the obviously badly designed power source.

Edited by Delta dart

PHOTO MONTAGE

yqb46K1.png

gp8R0fv.png

4EfM2xI.png

4ufoCRv.pngH6T9Vz2.pngab0kmwu.pngka0dJFC.pngi50t508.pngiuWhzby.png

nCKEWMP.png

UdJ2mxE.png

It took a total of 4 hours to intercept and plant the package on the spare agenda target vehicle pretty fast considering it was designed to destroy orbital bombardment systems carrying nukes. (note the reason that I do not have a landed photo is because it was too dark to see how fast I was descending and I stalled and exploded)

Edited by Delta dart

26 minutes ago, Delta dart said:

PHOTO MONTAGE

It took a total of 4 hours to intercept and plant the package on the spare agenda target vehicle pretty fast considering it was designed to destroy orbital bombardment systems carrying nukes. (note the reason that I do not have a landed photo is because it was too dark to see how fast I was descending and I stalled and exploded)

nice pics but why the old Gemini? :(