[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Request: Boeing\Hughes HS 376 satellite bus

Last couple of days, I've been trying to make a good-looking replica of TACSAT 1 - prototype military commsat launched in 1969. It used Hughes HS 308 satellite bus - a cylinder 2.8m in diameter, covered with solar panels. Think BIG Pioneer 6 (without motor, although it was added in later HS series buses). While "cylinder" part is not a problem, "covered with solar panels" is. Curved solar panels are extremely rare feature in KSP mods - I know only of NFElectrical, and these are too big for KSP-scaled HS-308 (should be either 1.25m or 1.5m).

Thus, I humbly request several parts which can be used to make a HS-series cylindrical satellite buses. Mainly HS 376 (since it has some notable and fun features).

Suggested parts:

- Probe core: 1.25m diameter, cylinder about 0.5m height, gray color. SAS, reaction wheels, about 40 Ec.  Has built-in RCS with tiny monoprop supply.

- Equipment bay: Same dimensions as probe core, covered with solar panels, empty shell with toggleable endcaps. You can place anything you want in it, including other probe cores (to make pre-376 buses). Make a sandwich with probe core to make HS 376 main body. Toggleable node for telescopical solar panel (see below).

- Telescopical solar panel: No, I'm not kidding.  Diameter slightly larger than 1.25m (to accomodate satellite main body). Height of about 1.5m, attaches to aforementioned toggleable node.

EDIT: Sorry, pasted wrong link (that particular page can be accessed only via Wayback Machine). Fixed.

Edited by biohazard15

7 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Request: Boeing\Hughes HS 376 satellite bus

Last couple of days, I've been trying to make a good-looking replica of TACSAT 1 - prototype military commsat launched in 1969. It used Hughes HS 308 satellite bus - a cylinder 2.8m in diameter, covered with solar panels. Think BIG Pioneer 6 (without motor, although it was added in later HS series buses). While "cylinder" part is not a problem, "covered with solar panels" is. Curved solar panels are extremely rare feature in KSP mods - I know only of NFElectrical, and these are too big for KSP-scaled HS-308 (should be either 1.25m or 1.5m).

Thus, I humbly request several parts which can be used to make a HS-series cylindrical satellite buses. Mainly HS 376 (since it has some notable and fun features).

Suggested parts:

- Probe core: 1.25m diameter, cylinder about 0.5m height, gray color. SAS, reaction wheels, about 40 Ec.  Has built-in RCS with tiny monoprop supply.

- Equipment bay: Same dimensions as probe core, covered with solar panels, empty shell with toggleable endcaps. You can place anything you want in it, including other probe cores (to make pre-376 buses). Make a sandwich with probe core to make HS 376 main body. Toggleable node for telescopical solar panel (see below).

- Telescopical solar panel: No, I'm not kidding.  Diameter slightly larger than 1.25m (to accomodate satellite main body). Height of about 1.5m, attaches to aforementioned toggleable node.

EDIT: Sorry, pasted wrong link (that particular page can be accessed only via Wayback Machine). Fixed.

Maybe one day something like that would be fun to do down the line. I made an HS-376 with a lot of tweakscale and offset tool with NFElectrical and NFEX in the past. It looked and worked mostly well (until the robotics would cause the craft to rip itself apart from time to time). 

57 minutes ago, theleg said:

I hope this works with KSP 1.11.1...

It does, as in 'most of it isn't really broken', since the latest release was made before 1.11 came out. There is no inventory support, and lights haven't been updated. The dev version on github (linked in OP) is made for 1.11.x, and so will the next update.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

Just now, Starhelperdude said:

Is bdb specifically designed for 2.5 or 2.7 resale? I know it works both but what was the version it was made for? 

it's not designed for any specific scale, just that something like 2.5x to 3x rescale gives most realistic performance to stock-scale rockets (2.5m rocket can't get you to the Mun and back for example)

4 hours ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

It does, as in 'most of it isn't really broken', since the latest release was made before 1.11 came out. There is no inventory support, and lights haven't been updated. The dev version on github (linked in OP) is made for 1.11.x, and so will the next update.

Oh ok thanks, I will keep an eye out for the update.:) Thanks a lot for replying...

16 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

Is bdb specifically designed for 2.5 or 2.7 resale? I know it works both but what was the version it was made for? 

BDB is technically balanced against stock parts which means a 2.5ish scale for *reasonably* realistic performance. More recently we have been doing our flight testing in JNSQ (2.7x) these days and but you should have a good time with 2.5x with fairly good performance accuracy as well. 3.2x if you need more challenge and dont want exact historical accuracy, at 3.2x some of the smaller rockets in their historical configuration will likely be underpowered.

5 minutes ago, theleg said:

Oh ok thanks, I will keep an eye out for the update.:) Thanks a lot for replying...

We're hopefully quite close to the next update, a few more small things to sort out first though :) 

1 hour ago, StarStreak2109 said:

IMHO, using BDB in JNSQ feels juuuuust right. Shouldn't be much bigger or, as you @Zorg pointed out, some of the earlier rockets are underpowered.  However in JNSQ, you can perfectly reenact for instance the early Redstone flights etc.

I feel you, I just got JNSQ yesterday and everything feels crisp. Im a Delta guy so I just love when my 9 srbs burn out and are discarded at their right altitude.

1 minute ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I feel you, I just got JNSQ yesterday and everything feels crisp. Im a Delta guy so I just love when my 9 srbs burn out and are discarded at their right altitude.

shouldn't you air light 3 and 6 at the ground?

3 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Yeah I do. Its so amazing feeling. Real deltas discard the SRBs in sets of three not all 6 at a time. I could do this maybe with remove from symmetry.

Here's how. You'll need Editor Extensions.

1) Build one SRM (booster + decoupler. Use BDB Mini decoupler for Castor 4s or GEMs - this is important!), this will be SRM 1 from now on.

2) Use Editor Extensions to place said SRM in 9x symmetry, with SRM 1 placed at 180°. (Follow steps count SRMs from 1 to 9, clockwise from 1). Autostrut all boosters and decouplers. If necessary, correct with offset (this is the last time you'll be able to use it without ruining the whole setup!)

3) Use "Remove from symmetry" on SRMs 1, 4, 7, on both boosters and decouplers. Set air-lit variant for boosters if available.

4) Set stage delay to 0.7 on decouplers for SRMs 3, 6, 9.

5) Stage it that way, from bottom to top:

- Main engine and verniers

- SRMs 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, launch clamps and other launch pad stuff

- SRMs 1, 4, 7

- Decouplers for ground-lit SRMs (they should stay in 6x symmetry, so it would be easy)

- Decouplers for air-lit SRMs

6) Ignite air-lit SRMs a couple of seconds before ground-lit SRMs burnout.

7) Decouple ground-lit SRMs several seconds after air-lit SRMs ignition. If everything is done right, they should decouple in set of 3 (2-5-8 followed by 3-6-9), with 0.7 secs between sets.

I'm not sure what was IRL time between sets, however.

Edited by biohazard15

13 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Here's how. You'll need Editor Extensions.

1) Build one SRM (booster + decoupler. Use BDB Mini decoupler for Castor 4s or GEMs - this is important!), this will be SRM 1 from now on.

2) Use Editor Extensions to place said SRM in 9x symmetry, with SRM 1 placed at 180°. (Follow steps count SRMs from 1 to 9, clockwise from 1). Autostrut all boosters and decouplers. If necessary, correct with offset (this is the last time you'll be able to use it without ruining the whole setup!)

3) Use "Remove from symmetry" on SRMs 1, 4, 7, on both boosters and decouplers. Set air-lit variant for boosters if available.

4) Set stage delay to 0.7 on decouplers for SRMs 3, 6, 9.

5) Stage it that way, from bottom to top:

- Main engine and verniers

- SRMs 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, launch clamps and other launch pad stuff

- SRMs 1, 4, 7

- Decouplers for ground-lit SRMs (they should stay in 6x symmetry, so it would be easy)

- Decouplers for air-lit SRMs

6) Ignite air-lit SRMs a couple of seconds before ground-lit SRMs burnout.

7) Decouple ground-lit SRMs several seconds after air-lit SRMs ignition. If everything is done right, they should decouple in set of 3 (2-5-8 followed by 3-6-9), with 0.7 secs between sets.

I'm not sure what was IRL time between sets, however.

Thanks 

SurveyoRanger Mk II lander (Atlas-Centaur)

This is a semi-fictional mission featuring a modified BDB SurveyoRanger, which is to land at the Moon's North Pole. Launch vehicle is a standard Atlas SLV-3C Centaur, launched from CCAFS. Timeline is supposed to be late 1968.

ovtJS4H.png

MNaQKzS.png

Liftoff!

OZsxBTO.png

Orlando, Florida. You can see Jacksonville at the top let corner.

RFcHvR0.png

And of course, Miami. Weather doesn't look good today...

l3yubgn.png

3f7nWlN.png

...definitely doesn't look good - cyclones are all over the place!

rbriML5.png

Launching Atlas-Centaur at the sunset is always a good idea due to its high boiloff rate.

OnHJqfk.png

tCLce0Q.png

Performing orbital insertion burn...

gxPAOog.png

...followed by a short coast through the darkness of space...

ycHfuFb.png

AVtmHgc.png

...and the trans-Lunar injection burn.

TYDP1ll.png

Now on its way to the Moon, SurveyoRanger separates from the Centaur.

ezwntOI.png

SPo6k4n.png

I call this contraption "SurveyoRanger Mk II". Ranger monopropellant motor is removed and replaced with extra fuel tanks for side-mounted engines. This allowed to add extra batteries and additional experiments for both space and surface science. These come from BDB abd Coatl.

nkrfDso.png

The lander uses its main engines to perform course correction maneuvers, intended to prepare for insertion to polar orbit.

EEV2UbL.png

Firing the Star-37 to insert the lander to polar orbit...

YwPKlZp.png

...and jettisoning it after a successful insertion.

8qwMrab.png

Performing deorbit burn...

7wITO1K.png

...aiming for that nicely-looking crater.

5ipg13O.png

O9Zm8IZ.png

Okay, that was probably a bad idea.

IEsCIEK.png

DCFC3bo.png

But hey, it's landed in one piece, so probably not so bad!