[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

Did you leave the upgrade file within the Jupiter folder as well? Since the 45k needs that. Although once again I dont see any connection between that and the other upgrade. :/

getting rid of all three doesn't effect on the IVA upgrade, but it gives me this B9 warning.

"upgrade does not exist: bluedog_JPL45K_gen2 on: PartSubtype 6K_Improved"

1 hour ago, zakkpaz said:

getting rid of all three doesn't effect on the IVA upgrade, but it gives me this B9 warning.

"upgrade does not exist: bluedog_JPL45K_gen2 on: PartSubtype 6K_Improved"

there is an upgrade called bluedog_JPL45K_gen2 in the upgrades.cfg inside the Jupiter folder. Both the 45K and 6k use that one so you shouldnt delete that upgrade if you're keeping either engine. I'm really not understanding the interactions with respect to the Castor upgrade tbh. I think we have to consider this on the basis that we support pruning of entire folders but if users choose to go delete individual parts within folders its up to them to resolve the issues.

8 hours ago, golkaidakhaana said:

The experimental branch already works in 1.11 , so no need to

We wouldnt consider it reasonable to expect everyone to use the Github development version. After the next release we are hoping to adapt our workflow for more frequent releases for bug fixes and version updates and perhaps even releasing smaller content while big projects like Saturn take a while.

18 hours ago, Neebel said:

Sorry if this was asked before, but do you plan on updating BDB to 1.11 in the near future?

Yes very soon, we are finalising the update for KSP 1.11.2

14 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Duh, totally missed another version of KSP dropped. Will the update also work with 1.11.1? Or do I need to update the shebang to .2?!?

1.11.2 is an especially minor patch update, so it'll probably work. It'll probably work with 1.10.x as well, seeing how the dev team appear to be trying to make every update with some degree of backwards compatibility.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman
removed 'also' because reading comprehension and writing

2 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Duh, totally missed another version of KSP dropped. Will the update also work with 1.11.1? Or do I need to update the shebang to .2?!?

1 hour ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

1.11.2 is an especially minor patch update, so it'll probably work. It'll probably work with 1.10.x as well, seeing how the dev team appear to be trying to make every update with some degree of backwards compatibility.

Stock type fairings are broken in KSP 1.10.0 (but ok in 1.10.1). So apart from that specific release it should be ok for all versions from 1.8.1 onwards. We tried to make the stock inventory be backwards compatible with those who have Breaking Ground on older versions but its not well tested, we think it should be ok.

2 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

1.11.2 is a minor bugfix of a massive scale.  It "improves" the mass assumption errors that have been plaguing 1.11.x    I strongly suggest updating to it if you are already in 1.11.x

26 minutes ago, Zorg said:

We tried to make the stock inventory be backwards compatible with those who have Breaking Ground on older versions but its not well tested, we think it should be ok.

I can confirm that patch works. I even "expanded" it for my install to cover any part with 1.11-specific inventory modules - mainly for fresh Tantares updates (making it Tantares-specific is too time-consuming due to how Tantares names parts - there is no common string like"bluedog")

1 minute ago, biohazard15 said:

I can confirm that patch works. I even "expanded" it for my install to cover any part with 1.11-specific inventory modules - mainly for fresh Tantares updates (making it Tantares-specific is too time-consuming due to how Tantares names parts - there is no common string like"bluedog")

If you have a need for it in the future, you can patch Tantares parts by restricting via Author field.

Hmm...

I deleted all of the parts except for the Centaur and Delta, But I accidentally kept some Delta parts.

Because of that, I think this mod is worth it after all! :) 

(Sorry for cringe, can't really state this any other way :P)

btw @CobaltWolf ur profile pict is really cute lol :D 

Edited by SpaceX_Boi
Had 2 complement @cobaltwolf's cut pfp :)

So I think the list of new engines is pretty final now. In addition to the M1, we discussed the XLR129 which is firmly on the roadmap. However no one guessed this other one: RS-30 Advanced Space Engine.

Here's an early look. This is a staged combustion cycle vac engine using some subscale SSME derived components meant for the IPP space tug. Less powerful than the later RL10s but 473s specific impulse. Will use the same interfaces as RL10 so will fit Centaur D nicely too. (roughly same size as an RL10A4N).

A deployable nozzle version was discussed in the studies but drawings are missing but I'm looking into the possibility. That would be the same size nozzle just for compactness rather than an extension, this is already 400:1.

unknown.png?width=508&height=708

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png?width=464&height=707

So M1, XLR129, RS30 and one more to round up the new engines :)

Edited by Zorg

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

So my rockets when using the suggested payload just don't fly. For example the Delta IV with a suggested payload of 26 tons simply tends to nose down and is recoverable. I am using PVG for guidance.

Try going to the GUIDANCE tab and turning “booster pitch rate” to 0.1-0.3, which should serve you well in almost all situations. You can also manually override the pitch down, PVG will fight you but you can keep the attitude good enough until the atmosphere has thinned out.

I would also caution against using PVG in anything lower than JNSQ scale, because it literally won’t have enough time to execute the proper maneuvers with a small Kerbin.

29 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Try going to the GUIDANCE tab and turning “booster pitch rate” to 0.1-0.3, which should serve you well in almost all situations. You can also manually override the pitch down, PVG will fight you but you can keep the attitude good enough until the atmosphere has thinned out.

I would also caution against using PVG in anything lower than JNSQ scale, because it literally won’t have enough time to execute the proper maneuvers with a small Kerbin.

Yeah still no, I am in JNSQ so PVG isn't the issue. I really don't have this issue with other rockets, just the Delta IVs. How did you guys originally calculate payload mass. Maybe I can try to revise those numbers.

8 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Yeah still no, I am in JNSQ so PVG isn't the issue. I really don't have this issue with other rockets, just the Delta IVs. How did you guys originally calculate payload mass. Maybe I can try to revise those numbers.

Which version of KSP are you on? I recently had a lot of trouble with PVG in KSP 1.11. I just didnt have the time to diagnose the issue (couple of weeks back) so Idk if it was a conflict or user error or what but I just couldnt launch a Delta IV with PVG on 1.11. Have you tried a manual launch?

On previous versions though I found Delta IV very stable and easy to launch using PVG. I dunno if your issue is related to the problem I had (not just Delta IV but a couple of other rockets too but not all of them).

Anyway the payload figures in the original diagram might not be entirely accurate as it in some cases includes the mass of the upper stage when going to GTO. This is kind of confusing hence why the expanded figures were being done. havent had time to update those since doing Titan 3 and 4 though. Its basically worked out from Dv requirements and actual testing whenever that might need to be validated.

1 minute ago, Zorg said:

Which version of KSP are you on? I recently had a lot of trouble with PVG in KSP 1.11. I just didnt have the time to diagnose the issue (couple of weeks back) so Idk if it was a conflict or user error or what but I just couldnt launch a Delta IV with PVG on 1.11. Have you tried a manual launch?

On previous versions though I found Delta IV very stable and easy to launch using PVG. I dunno if your issue is related to the problem I had (not just Delta IV but a couple of other rockets too but not all of them).

Anyway the payload figures in the original diagram might not be entirely accurate as it in some cases includes the mass of the upper stage when going to GTO. This is kind of confusing hence why the expanded figures were being done. havent had time to update those since doing Titan 3 and 4 though. Its basically worked out from Dv requirements and actual testing whenever that might need to be validated.

Thank you so much. I'm on 1.11 so that's probably my problem but, I think I can put my love for big orange rockets on hold for now.

So after a bit of consideration, I have decided to make the RS-30 deployable only. Although the baseline design was a fixed nozzle, the deployable version, which was considered together with modifying to to match RL10 fittings, was to have the same expansion ratio and only a slight mass penalty instead of a performance difference. So that makes the fixed nozzle kind of redundant plus this make the texturing a but easier (plus it looks cooler).

As per the descriptions, the extension is transpiration cooled so LH2 will flow through the deployment mechanism into the nozzle extension and be ejected through tiny nozzles at the exit rim. 

unknown.png?width=618&height=707

unknown.png?width=482&height=708

Next to RL10A4N

unknown.png?width=954&height=708

unknown.png?width=634&height=707

unknown.png?width=530&height=707

15 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

will there be a BDB J-2X (Constellation Pogram) engine? I mean there is an F-1B, so it would be cool

While the F-1B, is a major re-engineering of the F-1A, it has a lot in common with the original F-1.  The Constellation J-2X is a clean sheet design "Inspired by the J-2".    Not only is it a different interface, it is a different combustion chamber, plumbing...   IE only the NAME is related to the Saturn Era Engine.

Besides three of the five  Real J-2Xes are already in the game.   All that is left is J-2L Linear Aerospike, and J-2X Aerobell. 

CURRENTLY in BDB J-2Xes are J-2S, J-2T-200K, J-2T-250K, J-2X-Aeromat

EDITED (Forgot this line)   But hey,   I am not making parts for BDB,  So if one of the artists contributing wants to make one, I won't stand in their way! :D

Edited by Pappystein

Just now, Pappystein said:

While the F-1B, is a major re-engineering of the F-1A, it has a lot in common with the original F-1.  The Constellation J-2X is a clean sheet design "Inspired by the J-2".    Not only is it a different interface, it is a different combustion chamber, plumbing...   IE only the NAME is related to the Saturn Era Engine.

Besides three of the five  Real J-2Xes are already in the game.   All that is left is J-2L Linear Aerospike, and J-2X Aerobell. 

CURRENTLY in BDB J-2Xes are J-2S, J-2T-200K, J-2T-250K, J-2X-Aeromat

Plus Nertea made a beautiful one for CryoEngines.

10 minutes ago, Zorg said:

So after a bit of consideration, I have decided to make the RS-30 deployable only. Although the baseline design was a fixed nozzle, the deployable version, which was considered together with modifying to to match RL10 fittings, was to have the same expansion ratio and only a slight mass penalty instead of a performance difference. So that makes the fixed nozzle kind of redundant plus this make the texturing a but easier (plus it looks cooler).

As per the descriptions, the extension is transpiration cooled so LH2 will flow through the deployment mechanism into the nozzle extension and be ejected through tiny nozzles at the exit rim. 

unknown.png?width=618&height=707

I am looking forward to this engine as an alternative to the RL10-B2 as well as the A4 :D

Amazing work Zorg!

46 minutes ago, Zorg said:

PVG in KSP 1.11.2 seems broken....  In my case it SHUTS THE ENGINE DOWN.  But I have other problems with my current build I am diagnosing... like Atlas CELV skirt acting like a GIANT planet sized boat anchor once released.

Edited by Pappystein