[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

25 minutes ago, northern said:

Could it be done using the normal KSP wheels? so its not a replica of the LR but the attachment node and a 'box' type thing where we can put command seats on?

At that point you're basically describing RoverDude's Packrat. It's not BDD-alike but is definitely inspired by the LRV  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/78242-111x-usi-exploration-pack-small-parts-big-adventure-v-060/&do=findComment&comment=3930888

Updated version that works with stock cargo is available in the USI Constellation pre-release.  https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI_Constellation/releases/tag/2021.03.12.01 

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Oh hmm, i'll take a look at the 405. Pink square must be something else, sign of a broken/incompatible shader. An incorrect version of a some visual mod is my guess.

Thanks for checking on the 405Hs.   I have replaced all the mods I downloaded with CKAN... wait maybe...  Re re downloading scatter...

Just now, dave1904 said:

lol I did the exact same thing. Do you by any chance have any waterfall patch for redirects SRBs? I have not looked into waterfall and SRBs but I was planning on doing so. 

SRB + Waterfall do not look good together per the Dev (Nertea) and our own Zorg.   There is a reason those stay with partical effects.

2 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Thanks for checking on the 405Hs.   I have replaced all the mods I downloaded with CKAN... wait maybe...  Re re downloading scatter...

SRB + Waterfall do not look good together per the Dev (Nertea) and our own Zorg.   There is a reason those stay with partical effects.

SRB's usually have some nice Smokescreen plumes. Take for example BDB's own SRB's (and engines??) that have some really nice Smokescreen effects.

And here it is. The XLR 129

Staged combustion cycle engine originally meant for a B-52 launched rocket spyplane called ISINGLASS as mentioned earlier. Derived from work P&W did on the RL20. Further uprated from the original ISINGLASS configuration, it was their losing contender for the space shuttle program.

Just like the other 3 engines, (RS30, RL20 and M1) the nozzle extension is transpiration cooled and the upper nozzle and chamber are regen cooled. In this case we have a cool mechanical linkage connecting the coolant feed line that moves with the deployable nozzle.

unknown.png?width=510&height=723

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Edited by Zorg

Just now, alberro+ said:

Sick! How would it fare on an upper stage?

vac performance is 250k lbf thrust  (1,112 kN) and from 450s up to 465s specific impulse.

For the shuttle it was supposed to be to be uprated to 350k lbf (1,556kN).

Exact game balancing isnt decided yet but there are some performance tables and documents here: https://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Space_Engines/Pratt_Engines.htm 

Oh and by the way it was supposed to be able to operate with the nozzle retracted at sea level and deployed at altitude. We're looking at implementing this functionality. 

Overall its not as powerful as the RS-25 but quite the beast nonetheless and better Isp and optimised better throughout the envelope. Im not 100% sure on this but I believe P&W were out of the running by the time the shuttle had grown in size and that would explain why its noticeably less powerful than the final SSME that we got from Rocketdyne. 512,300 lbf (2,279 kN)

Figures above are IRL thrust figures, in KSP they would be 1/4 of that.

7 minutes ago, Zorg said:

vac performance is 250k lbf thrust  (1,112 kN) and from 450s up to 465s specific impulse.

For the shuttle it was supposed to be to be uprated to 350k lbf (1,556kN).

Exact game balancing isnt decided yet but there are some performance tables and documents here: https://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Space_Engines/Pratt_Engines.htm 

Oh and by the way it was supposed to be able to operate with the nozzle retracted at sea level and deployed at altitude. We're looking at implementing this functionality. 

Overall its not as powerful as the RS-25 but quite the beast nonetheless and better Isp and optimised better throughout the envelope. Im not 100% sure on this but I believe P&W were out of the running by the time the shuttle had grown in size and that would explain why its noticeably less powerful than the final SSME that we got from Rocketdyne. 512,300 lbf (2,279 kN)

Figures above are IRL thrust figures, in KSP they would be 1/4 of that.

Huh, fair enough. That idea of it being retracted at sea level is really interesting actually. How would that be implemented into KSP?

2 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

Huh, fair enough. That idea of it being retracted at sea level is really interesting actually. How would that be implemented into KSP?

The required functionality already exists in Nertea's Deployable Engines. Either we add it as a dependency or integrate the code into the BDB plugin. BDBs own existing deployable engines functionality is a modified version of an older version of Deployable Engines anyway.

Its essentially linking deployable engines (animation) with the stock multi mode engine module.

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

The required functionality already exists in Nertea's Deployable Engines. Either we add it as a dependency or integrate the code into the BDB plugin. BDBs own existing deployable engines functionality is a modified version of an older version of Deployable Engines anyway.

Its essentially linking deployable engines (animation) with the stock multi mode engine module.

Would it be possible to just include Deployable Engines with the BDB download? Since you are already distributing a modified older version it shouldn’t cause licensing issues and I would think it would be easier than trying to merge the newer code into the BDB plugin. 

7 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Diazo made the OG Height over ground mods... Including the one I use...  Vertical Velocity Controler.    FTMN is oldschool Nuclear engines by Kommitz and both of those mods are maintained by LGG

Had that bug with Diazo's Landing Height Display, horizontal landing aid, and vertical velocity controller. Never found what it conflicted with but adding any one of those three caused it to come back once I'd removed them all.

I guess let LGG know? Updates on his end fixed it on previous game versions.

6 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Sick! How would it fare on an upper stage?

So going back to this and going over the performance figures, it looks like the figures I quoted (465s Isp) were for a version with a 166:1 extended nozzle as opposed to the baseline 75:1 model which most of the docs are dealing with (this was the demonstrator engine). The 166:1 is supposed to be the flight model.

The 75:1 ratio model tops out at 450s same as the SSME. Though its sea level Isp is notably higher at 385s vs 366 on the SSME.

Anyway this variant is easy enough to do (and efficiently).

unknown.png?width=608&height=686

Edited by Zorg

10 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

on what type of rocket would (or could) the XL129 be used?

As mentioned earlier, was originally meant for a rocket powered boost glide plane (ISINGLASS) and then later for the Space shuttle. No other considerations I'm aware of. But in BDB you're gonna have to get creative. :P

The engine mounting mechanism will be roughly the same footprint as the J2. The booster version has a nozzle diameter of around 1.14m and the vac version 1.59m. Im sure you can find plenty of creative uses for such an engine.

Its predecessor the RL20 was mentioned in passing for Saturn upgrades in at least 1 document but the XLR 129 came too late for such considerations I think. It went straight for shuttle after the spyplane was cancelled and then died with the failure to get the contract.

Edited by Zorg

This mod's RS-68s have the best sound I've ever heard during a rocket launch!!!! :D :D :D :D :D 

Thanks so much to the BDB team! :) 

Edited by SpaceX_Boi
Had to be polite ;)

8 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

this is giving me a lot of ideas. Hopefully its gonna be light enough to balance on SOCK's space shuttle.

It should be light enough but keep in mind its significantly less powerful than the RS25. The shuttle was likely a lot smaller than the final design at the time P&W were still in the competition. It might still be workable and it should be great for generic shuttle like spaceplanes in general but its not a 1:1 replacement for the RS25.

I would be curious to see how well it works on SOCK though. I suspect you would need bigger boosters or possibly find a way to squeeze 4 engines onto the orbiter to maintain performance.

Edited by Zorg

7 hours ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

This mod's RS-68s have the best sound I've ever heard during a rocket launch!!!! :D :D :D :D :D 

Thanks so much to the BDB team! :) 

Thanks to that particular sound effect goes to @ensou04 author of Rocket Sound Enhancement. The RSE mod itself has great sounding effects but also has a dedicated plugin for handling them in a better way. Actual RSE compatibility for BDB is something I'm hoping to do in the future but it will involve some amount of work so might not happen so soon. Glad you're enjoying the current sfx in the meantime though :)

8 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

JNSQ hasn't been updated in a long while and is a little buggy. are there any good alternatives besides just using rescale?

Wdym buggy? I'm on 1.8.1, and i've never experienced an issue with it. Genuinely one of the best planet packs out there.