[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

7 minutes ago, Zorg said:

No its not going to do that. Do you play in the stock system? Or rescaled or with a planet pack?

The BDB authors and a lot of our users use JNSQ which has a Kerbin 2.7x larger. Since I like playing with solids and want to take the right kick stages, I prepared this table. This assumes achieving a 100x100km circular orbit with 4900-5200 m/s of Delta V. The table below is for transfer burns starting from that low circular orbit. 

If you dont use JNSQ (or a similar sized rescale) and you have the patience, the best option would be to do some pathfinding missions and find out for yourself :P 

unknown.png

Yeah, I play in a stock system. I guess I'll just have to test it myself and figure it out. 

But thanks for the help :)

Edit: Just installed KER via CKAN. hopefully that helps. 

I'll probably try it later today.

Edited by CollectingSP

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

For the sake of convenience, upper stage solids have a cut off feature, look for "Features BDB Safe Solid (tm)" in the part description. Since its not so practical in game to tune the delta V requirements as precisely as real life we give you this option to shut down (but not restart). 

Pro-tip — use the slo-mo physics time warp setting in BetterTimeWarpContinued to help accurately time the shutdown of solids. Lot easier to hit the correct shutdown mark at 10% of real time. It's the only way I can land the Ranger rough landing probe.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:31 AM, CobaltWolf said:

No promises if I'm honest, just not a priority. It (along with the Conical Big G) needs the Saturn revamp done first though, since the S-IVB diameter drives their bottom dimensions.

Any chance for big A and conical Apollo Service module in BDB?

http://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/bigapollo.jpg

http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=14600

Or RL-10 service module

http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=8775

Edited by derega16

3 hours ago, derega16 said:

Get your Cryogenic AJ10 powered Apollo here:

You will need to patch the files via MM to support LH2/LOX but it is the correct parts :D

where there any proposals for a Saturn 1 first stage before the real one was chosen that didn't use the strange tank arrangement? I'm currently building a saturn 1 like rocket and I'm to lazy to make the S-I tank becasue yeah

1 hour ago, Starhelperdude said:

where there any proposals for a Saturn 1 first stage before the real one was chosen that didn't use the strange tank arrangement? I'm currently building a saturn 1 like rocket and I'm to lazy to make the S-I tank becasue yeah

you realize that you can't "build" a Saturn I cluster tank right?   The stage isn't REAL Redstone and Jupiter tanks.  Rather it is All new tanks made on the TOOLS for Redstone and Jupiter.   IE they are not the same thing.

But to answer your question.   Clustering Stage 1 was always on the books

13 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Get your Cryogenic AJ10 powered Apollo here:

You will need to patch the files via MM to support LH2/LOX but it is the correct parts :D

Well, that is a completely different Apollo, I want OTL Apollo but with cyro service module which use RL not AJ

Also I made apollo flyby SM, the plan is use a uranium-fueled mercury boiler for power, I subsuitute with a NFE Kerbopower in its service module instead. Mission module and probe compartment is not finish yet

tfVOLWq.jpg

m2jrAZg.jpg

Edited by derega16

screenshot277.png?width=1499&height=843

screenshot282.png?width=960&height=540

screenshot288.png?width=960&height=540

screenshot293.png?width=960&height=540

screenshot314.png?width=960&height=540

screenshot321.png?width=960&height=540

screenshot336.png?width=960&height=540

A custom engine mount for M1 upper stages will be provided in the not too distant future. Since the look will be related to the new SII mount it will be a little while before its done so you would need to bash together something in the meantime (this one is from NFLV i think).

These are on Github now but in VERY EARLY ALPHA. Use at your own risk, breaking changes may take place without warning over the next few days.

Edited by Zorg

56 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

are we allowed to show pictures of the amazing engines?

I don't see a moratorium,   I plan to after I DL them.   Going to see if the RL20 will actually launch a Saturn II in JNSQ ala INT-17

OH and Thanks @Zorg!   This makes up for spending my morning elbows deep in engine grease trying to get my lawn tractor ready to mow the grass!

Edited by Pappystein

1 hour ago, Starhelperdude said:

are we allowed to show pictures of the amazing engines?

31 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

I don't see a moratorium,   I plan to after I DL them.   Going to see if the RL20 will actually launch a Saturn II in JNSQ ala INT-17

OH and Thanks @Zorg!   This makes up for spending my morning elbows deep in engine grease trying to get my lawn tractor ready to mow the grass!

Sure just be aware little to no balancing has been done. The parts are at basic functionality only and I commited so that JSO can also start working on balance and such. Thrust, mass, Isp could be well off the final figures. 

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

Sure just be aware little to no balancing has been done. The parts are at basic functionality only and I commited so that JSO can also start working on balance and such. Thrust, mass, Isp could be well off the final figures. 

well I DID make several Saturn II rockets... all RL20s (P3 x 7 for the first stage and VAC for the 2nd)   None have performed as "designed" but I am getting closer with each launch

all in all the RL20 is a good HG-3 replacement/analog real hardware vs Hypothetical hardware.   But I will stick with the INT-18 and use standard J2s and the UA-120x and SMRU as needed

4 hours ago, Zorg said:

screenshot277.png?width=1499&height=843

screenshot282.png?width=960&height=540

screenshot288.png?width=960&height=540

screenshot293.png?width=960&height=540

screenshot314.png?width=960&height=540

screenshot321.png?width=960&height=540

screenshot336.png?width=960&height=540

A custom engine mount for M1 upper stages will be provided in the not too distant future. Since the look will be related to the new SII mount it will be a little while before its done so you would need to bash together something in the meantime (this one is from NFLV i think).

These are on Github now but in VERY EARLY ALPHA. Use at your own risk, breaking changes may take place without warning over the next few days.

One ISINGLASS replica coming right up!*

*Not that anyone knows what it looks like, I think I saw something referring to it as looking like a mini shuttle orbiter.

On 4/18/2021 at 2:17 AM, Zorg said:

I cant reproduce this issue. Tested both versions of the engine.

@Zorg -- I managed to track down the source of the missing Waterfall plumes on the LR9107-167 and several other engines. All of the affected engines are missing the overrideParentTransform in their Waterfall CFGs. Omitting the parameter works fine with only Bluedog installed but things break if another mod that loads after BDB applies the same effect template to a transform that's not present in the BDB part. (In my case it was a Near Future Launch Vehicles engine applying "waterfall-kerolox-upper-3"  to a transform named "fxTransformCore". )

Good news is that defining the correct transform for each part fixes the problem. (I'll log a github issue when I'm a bit less blitzed from figuring this out)

3 hours ago, somnambulist said:

@Zorg -- I managed to track down the source of the missing Waterfall plumes on the LR9107-167 and several other engines. All of the affected engines are missing the overrideParentTransform in their Waterfall CFGs. Omitting the parameter works fine with only Bluedog installed but things break if another mod that loads after BDB applies the same effect template to a transform that's not present in the BDB part. (In my case it was a Near Future Launch Vehicles engine applying "waterfall-kerolox-upper-3"  to a transform named "fxTransformCore". )

Good news is that defining the correct transform for each part fixes the problem. (I'll log a github issue when I'm a bit less blitzed from figuring this out)

Thanks. I'll fix this up. This should be reported to Nertea as well since the fallback to the default transform for 1 engine should not break because its being overridden for another engine entirely.