[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Would you chill out about the stripe and the text? I like the way it looks. 

I hope you know all the in thread complaining about it is more a joke. I'm hopefully going to get the editable files and change the textures to the way I want them (the way they should be).

54 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Can anyone provide reference for the S-1C Retro motors? The ones mounted next to the fins? I have a diagram but looking at reference images of the real thing there doesn't appear to be anything there where they should be.

Found this, showing more detail on the retro motor positions. Saturn V S-IC retrorockets

I'm not seeing discrete ports for the retro exhaust, but you can definitely see the exhaust in launch footage. My guess is, given the expendable nature of the stage and relative thinness of the metal that comprised the skirts, the exhaust simply punched its own holes. It would also solve the inherent aerodynamic and weight problems introduced by cutting holes in the skirts then needing to reinforce them.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

53 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Can anyone provide reference for the S-1C Retro motors? The ones mounted next to the fins? I have a diagram but looking at reference images of the real thing there doesn't appear to be anything there where they should be.

coYc38i.jpg

http://history.msfc.nasa.gov/saturn_apollo/documents/First_Stage.pdf

Page 5 explains how the retro rockets work and where they are placed. Also I didn't know the fins blew off and then fired the retros which is cool. That's how I read it atleast.

6 minutes ago, sp1989 said:

http://history.msfc.nasa.gov/saturn_apollo/documents/First_Stage.pdf

Page 5 explains how the retro rockets work and where they are placed. Also I didn't know the fins blew off and then fired the retros which is cool. That's how I read it atleast.

The skirt assemblies did not blow off at booster sep. If you take a close look at still photos of the S-IC falling away, the fins are still visible in place. That NASA doc can give the impression that the skirts were blown, but it wasn't the case. :)

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well I don't like that... Quick mockup for a possible solution. Thots? (Also, yes, the shrouds aren't finished yet)

VBT74Ld.png

B2C98bJ.png

I like it. I think it's simple, aesthetically  pleasing, and extremely functional. 

However what about making them smaller, using one, and putting it on top where the fin starts?

40 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

The "problem" with the S-IC retros is that they had blow covers that protected them during the ascent (and were ejected at retro activation). You could just make the texture look like there is an actual cover but no actual port hole.

Source: Saturn V Flight Manual (page 82)

Hrmm...

UmE5gCA.png

Lots of Saturn hype here, but let me take a moment to share my Pioneer 4 Moon flyby in SSRSS.

Spoiler

r6nzVG7.png

I hate night screenshots as much as the next person, but because the Moon's orbit is inclined relative to Earth when its axial tilt is factored, I had a specific window in which to launch, which just so happened to be at night.

fvC9gxn.jpg

If all goes well this will be the first time I've seen the Moon close up in SSRSS or RSS.

QwWYxf7.png

TLI with the second stage of the SRB cluster.

ZXeRWr1.png

Unfortunately the rocket briefly flew out of control during launch and my efforts to re-correct it resulted in both an alteration of the craft's orbital inclination and the remaining fuel in the first stage to be expended, making it near impossible to adjust the orbit. Because of this I was forced to settle for a somewhat distant flyby of about 1,000,000 km. Next time I think I'll go with a liquid fuel upper stage...