[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

4 hours ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

The first patch replaces the monopropellant fuel cells with more 'realistic' hydrogen-oxygen ones used by the Apollo and Gemini programs. They have the same output (1.5Ec/s) but considerably different mass flow rate.

That's already in the TACLS patch. I didn't add it to stock since water and oxygen are useless for most players. It's definitely a superior fuel cell though.

4 hours ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

The second patch adds ResourceScanners to the following parts:

That looks neat. We could add those scanners to the parts.

5 minutes ago, Jso said:

That's already in the TACLS patch. I didn't add it to stock since water and oxygen are useless for most players. It's definitely a superior fuel cell though.

That looks neat. We could add those scanners to the parts.

Yeah, I don't think the scanners could possibly hurt anything and it's kind of amusing to know what they are measuring. :)

With the RD-180 and new Castor-30 XL I made something resembling Antares-Cygnus

screenshot3.png

Made something resembling an engine shroud with a payload fairing and a decoupler

screenshot4.png

Spacecraft is probably a bit bigger than it should be (had to use an expanded fairing) but BDB doesn't have a 1.875m resupply module soo...

screenshot5.png

screenshot6.png?width=1051&height=657

4 hours ago, blowfish said:

Spacecraft is probably a bit bigger than it should be (had to use an expanded fairing) but BDB doesn't have a 1.875m resupply module soo...

Your first three screenshots aren't showing. "Access Denied".

The MOS-PCS Pressurized Cargo Segment and MOS-UCS Unpressurized Cargo Segment are 1.875.

10 hours ago, Drakenex said:

I'll do you one better: why is 1.5??

and LDC Titan main engine mounts when???

Just kidding :D, Youtube is down so I'm bored

Still humming and hawing over it... I do like the look of that one you have on there for the 4x mount. Is that Cormorant's LRB engine mount?

EDIT: Just saw the fairing base. Nice.

Edited by CobaltWolf

14 hours ago, Jso said:

Your first three screenshots aren't showing. "Access Denied".

They seem fine to me.  Even in incognito...

14 hours ago, Jso said:

The MOS-PCS Pressurized Cargo Segment and MOS-UCS Unpressurized Cargo Segment are 1.875.

I saw the unpressurized one but missed the pressurized one.  Guess I'll have to do some redesigning.

11 hours ago, blowfish said:

They seem fine to me.  Even in incognito...

I also can't see them.

14 hours ago, Drakenex said:

very versatile fairing base!

Hmm, I have the 5XX outer shell mostly done, I just haven't been able to figure out how the skeletal interstage should work... The fairing base and the interstage have to be separate for gameplay reasons. I wish I could just do it like the real one, with the flange that comes up to meet the centaur, but the fairing base and decoupler need to be on different parts unless people don't mind being forced to stage them together.

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hmm, I have the 5XX outer shell mostly done, I just haven't been able to figure out how the skeletal interstage should work... The fairing base and the interstage have to be separate for gameplay reasons. I wish I could just do it like the real one, with the flange that comes up to meet the centaur, but the fairing base and decoupler need to be on different parts unless people don't mind being forced to stage them together.

The Altas V "Forward Load Reactors" (nerdy accent) eject seconds after fairing separation, so if they stage at the same time we're fine!

CBAS-ULA.jpg

1 minute ago, Drakenex said:

The Altas V "Forward Load Reactors" (nerdy accent) eject seconds after fairing separation, so if they stage at the same time we're fine!

Oh, I was talking about the conical section that comes up to meet the Centaur in the same spot the BDB interstages connect.

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh, I was talking about the conical section that comes up to meet the Centaur in the same spot the BDB interstages connect.

ohh I see

2818315_orig.png

Well, on my implementation, the CIA and the Boattail are fused on a single part, and the engine mount node attaches very near to the top of the CIA (because of your Atlas V 4XX fairing having a floor it clips).

12 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

ohh I see

Well, on my implementation, the CIA and the Boattail are fused on a single part, and the engine mount node attaches very near to the top of the CIA (because of your Atlas V 4XX fairing having a floor it clips).

Hmmph... I had a picture of how the (at least, outer shell) was supposed to look, but I can't find it...

@Jso do you think we could have like a dummy animation to hold the centaur in for a couple seconds before decoupling with our animated decoupler module? Then they can just be one part?

EDIT: Found a screenshot I had uploaded to Discord.

017By2g.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

44 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hmmph... I had a picture of how the (at least, outer shell) was supposed to look, but I can't find it...

@Jso do you think we could have like a dummy animation to hold the centaur in for a couple seconds before decoupling with our animated decoupler module? Then they can just be one part?

EDIT: Found a screenshot I had uploaded to Discord.

Looks amazing! if the colliders allow it, decoupling will be no issue

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

do you think we could have like a dummy animation to hold the centaur in for a couple seconds before decoupling with our animated decoupler module?

It should work.

Why cant just any old decoupler be attached to the bottom of centaur, then attach the fairing adapter to that?

1 minute ago, Jso said:

It should work.

Why cant just any old decoupler be attached to the bottom of centaur, then attach the fairing adapter to that?

Because the bottom of the centaur, one or two RL-10 engines, are inside the fairing unlike any other (like 1/8 of the total centaur) so maybe adding a decoupler to the node attaching the fairing to the Centaur engine mount node is a better idea? just my two cents!

1 minute ago, Drakenex said:

Because the bottom of the centaur, one or two RL-10 engines, are inside the fairing unlike any other (like 1/8 of the total centaur) so maybe adding a decoupler to the node attaching the fairing to the Centaur engine mount node is a better idea? just my two cents!

Good point. In that case we would need a new decoupler with a raised top node to catch the hidden node in the engine mount. We need one anyway for using Centaur in any non standard way. Like putting one under a Saturn fairing. We use the straight interstage for that now but it's ugly in that role.

6 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

2 minutes ago, Jso said:

Good point. In that case we would need a new decoupler with a raised top node to catch the hidden node in the engine mount. We need one anyway for using Centaur in any non standard way. Like putting one under a Saturn fairing. We use the straight interstage for that now but it's ugly in that role.

Yeah, that's why I was working on a 1.875m truss interstage that would look more appropriate for encapsulated Centaurs, including the Titan ones.

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, that's why I was working on a 1.875m truss interstage that would look more appropriate for encapsulated Centaurs, including the Titan ones.

I was talking about:

IZX9j8i.png

Where:

A: a decoupling node inside the fairing, a single part, CIA+Boattail

B: node on Centaur's engine mount

That way, without an extra part, you can decouple the centaur from the fairing base after staging the fairing halves, that will work for PF, I guess it won't for stock ones (because the PF part is stageable already)

1 hour ago, Drakenex said:

I was talking about:

Where:

A: a decoupling node inside the fairing, a single part, CIA+Boattail

B: node on Centaur's engine mount

That way, without an extra part, you can decouple the centaur from the fairing base after staging the fairing halves, that will work for PF, I guess it won't for stock ones (because the PF part is stageable already)

Yeah, I had them represented as the CIA+Boattail as one part, and then a multi-use truss-type 1.875m straight interstage would go inside it to attach the Centaur. My big fear was that people wouldn't want to stage the fairing and stage the decoupler at the same time. Is that not the case?

21 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, I had them represented as the CIA+Boattail as one part, and then a multi-use truss-type 1.875m straight interstage would go inside it to attach the Centaur. My big fear was that people wouldn't want to stage the fairing and stage the decoupler at the same time. Is that not the case?

I like having the flexibility to stage the fairing and the decoupler separately. There are some edge cases where it's a useful ability, but they're kinda rare.