[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, Wirelex said:

Make the Orbus-6 no extending nozzles

Why then? the real IUS had an upper stage with extending nozzle. really i see no reason for one without an extending nozzle, imagine the length!

Edited by DriftedCougar
yeah i know nozzle

11 hours ago, Wirelex said:

Make the Orbus-6 no extending nozzles

9 hours ago, DriftedCougar said:

Why then? the real IUS had an upper stage with extending nozzle. really i see no reason for one without an extending nozzle, imagine the length!

9 hours ago, Wirelex said:

Nozzle not nozle typo error

Are you asking me to not make an accurate Orbus-6? :o

More pre-production on the next update. Jupiter/Juno II S-3D/LR-79

oHRoWnv.png

The new, improved, accurate (to the one obscure document I found) JPL 6K engine. Y'all are probably more familiar with this as the "Seeker".

Note that the updated version lacks verniers. The 6K is on the left, AJ-10-Able in the middle, AJ-10-Ablestar on the right.

tqRjDcy.png

The 45K engine is going to be interesting. Based on the limited information I found on it, it sounds like it will be a cross between an AJ-10 and an LR-91.

It was supposed to use a "hybrid" system, with a gas generator that pressurized the tanks, and the generator exhaust being used for roll control.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot to say, but I'm going to be streaming tonight and hopefully getting IUS in game for some shakedown flights. Looking to start sometime around 6-6:30 PM Eastern.

Edited by CobaltWolf

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Are you asking me to not make an accurate Orbus-6? :o

It appears that the IUS version was actually Orbus-6E, from at least one of my sources. That said, I have no idea how an Orbus-6 looked like, or even what it was used for (if at all). It might just be the 6E sans nozzle extension, but this is conjecture. 

I really like the LR-79. Will the start tanks (the two cylinders on the side) be switchable? They were not used on Jupiter. You could even make them contain a bit of fuel. You know, for educational value. :) 

14 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

It appears that the IUS version was actually Orbus-6E, from at least one of my sources. That said, I have no idea how an Orbus-6 looked like, or even what it was used for (if at all). It might just be the 6E sans nozzle extension, but this is conjecture. 

I really like the LR-79. Will the start tanks (the two cylinders on the side) be switchable? They were not used on Jupiter. You could even make them contain a bit of fuel. You know, for educational value. :) 

In my modeling software I had it labeled as Orbus-6S but I originally modeled IUS last fall and I don't remember where I got that designation from. In any case, I'm probably not going to make a non-extending version. There's enough small solids for now.

The best document I could find was of an actual LR-79 so that makes sense. No wonder I couldn't find start tanks on the actual S-3D photos on HeroicRelics. They're so functionally identical, I wasn't going to add a proper standalone LR-79. The arrangement will be the same as before - LR-79 with a Thor boattail and built in verniers, standalone S-3D. I'll probably just delete those tanks, the poly count is already really high.

12 hours ago, Wirelex said:

Orbus-6e Has same bug the nozzle Extension when shutdown O-6E then never restart again?

Huh? I don't understand what you're trying to say. Anyone else have issues with the Orbus-6?

9 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

New titan 4 fairing base doesn't boat enough tail https://imgur.com/a/cFPILc9

Good thing that's not the Titan IV fairing base :P The Titan IV base is already modeled, it's 3.125m and not 2.5m like the Commercial Titan 3 base you're using there. The Titan 3E fairing base is something like 2.65m (ie, you can put 2.5m stuff in it cleanly)

3 hours ago, DriftedCougar said:

I see you sneakily made the nozzle foil :P 

Not really sneaky so much as I just did it :P

2 minutes ago, DriftedCougar said:

I think he means the orbus cant restart, like all vacuum SRBs.

There's actually an issue in reverse - the Orbus-6 CAN restart, since there's currently a bug in the BDBModuleDeployableEngine that makes it not work if the engine cannot be restarted... hopefully Jso will be able to fix it when he's less indisposed. :)

49 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

The best document I could find was of an actual LR-79 so that makes sense. No wonder I couldn't find start tanks on the actual S-3D photos on HeroicRelics. They're so functionally identical, I wasn't going to add a proper standalone LR-79. The arrangement will be the same as before - LR-79 with a Thor boattail and built in verniers, standalone S-3D. I'll probably just delete those tanks, the poly count is already really high.

Better to keep them. Who knows, maybe you'll end up redoing the Thor/Delta boattail at some point. Also, there might be some place besides Delta, where LR-79, start tanks and all, was used. Polycount, I think, should not be an issue if the textures are efficient. 

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Friznit said:

There's no stable release planned for several months yet but if you're willing to help test and are prepared to risk save breaking changes, the dev version is available on github.

Yes i could help on my fav mod, but i can't see the new parts in github.

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

3 guesses whats inside this shuttle... :)

Absolutely love this thing! The only feedback I have is that the interstage could use a bit less decoupler force.

Nice! I wonder if @benjee10 is still interested in making the cradle? And noted, I'll reduce the force on there.

33 minutes ago, Munarmunar said:

Tonight? We have an update tonight??

31 minutes ago, Friznit said:

There's no stable release planned for several months yet but if you're willing to help test and are prepared to risk save breaking changes, the dev version is available on github.

29 minutes ago, DriftedCougar said:

Yes IUS beta is on github, i think @Friznit means he only has time later today :wink:

Yes - I really have to stress, DO NOT load a career save (or a save you care about at all, really) with the dev builds installed. There will be a lot of breaking changes, even from week to week. Feel free to open up a fresh sandbox save to play with stuff and share screenshots, but don't expect to be able to use the new stuff in a proper save for some time yet.

28 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Better to keep them. Who knows, maybe you'll end up redoing the Thor/Delta boattail at some point. Also, there might be some place besides Delta, where LR-79, start tanks and all, was used. Polycount, I think, should not be an issue if the textures are efficient. 

Well, I am remaking Thor/Early Delta. The next update is going to cover Redstone, Jupiter, Thor and Vanguard. But I wasn't planning on changing the way Thor is constructed (partially since I already remade Delta in that style). The LR-79 wasn't used for anything else to my knowledge. With all the new Titan engines (I'm still wondering if I should make a single mount of the AJ3 or AJ5) we're not going to be hurting by not having the LR-79.