[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

While it would be hilarious, I'm not going to make every rocket Cobalt hates. I've never had much interest in Nova.

It's a Saturn C-8, not a Nova. :) Regarding actual Nova, there's way too many designs to choose from. In fact, some are so hilariously Kerbal (particularly the multi-core designs) that @CobaltWolf might well take interest in those. :) 
nona8lcl.gif
nona594s.gifnovaa.gifnona609l.gif

Many early Nova proposals were multicoupled Saturn designs, presumably to get around the problem that killed the C-8 proposal, that is, the height of the factory room floor at Michoud. Most of these used Saturn-diameter parts (except the last one presented here, which would be made up out of clustered 2.5m tanks in KSP, in 8x symmetry!), and so would only require making a few multicouplers. Funnily enough, more than a few of them were inferior to Saturn V in terms of payload. Of course, there was also the C-8-like Nova with M-1s on second stage (that's the one people usually think about when they hear the name), and several really gigantic designs that looked like the Nexus with GCNRs replaced by some combination of Saturn engines.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Nova project was to get disguised Kerbals at NASA busy making crazy designs so that humans could focus on building something sensible. :) 

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, KeaKaka said:

Does anyone know what the decoupler for the titan III transtage is? I can't seem to find it.

I use the titan 2 GLV big one for later variants, and the standart 1.875m one, with a little clipped into the shroud of the transtage for titan 3a

1 hour ago, Starhelperdude said:

I use the titan 2 GLV big one for later variants, and the standart 1.875m one, with a little clipped into the shroud of the transtage for titan 3a

Same here.

We really need a Transtage that is converted from "engine with built-in shroud" to now-BDB-standard "engine+interstage". LR-91s too.

Edited by biohazard15

So... I decided that I would try to build the absolute monstrosity that is the Titan 3BAS2. 

Titan-3BAS2-Card.jpg

And here it is in KSP.

screenshot136.pngscreenshot137.pngscreenshot138.pngscreenshot139.png

No payload today, just a test launch.

screenshot140.png

Overall a hideous but easy to fly LV. Expect more monstrosities like this in future.

Edited by KeaKaka

3 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

So... I decided that I would try to build the absolute monstrosity that is the Titan 3BAS2. 

Titan-3BAS2-Card.jpg

And here it is in KSP.

screenshot136.pngscreenshot137.pngscreenshot138.pngscreenshot139.png

No payload today, just a test launch.

screenshot140.png

Overall a hideous but easy to fly LV. Expect more monstrosities like this in future.

actually this is in the unofficial official bdb wiki as a kerbal concept, I have buildt it too, but not flown it

24 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

What's the worst Titan concept out there? I'm guessing it's like Gemini where they thought of every single possible use for it.

Well SRBX use titan upperstage so it might count as both worst shuttle delivered and titan delivered concept at the same time

2 hours ago, derega16 said:

Well SRBX use titan upperstage so it might count as both worst shuttle delivered and titan delivered concept at the same time

"Well SRBX use titan upperstage so it might count as both worst  best shuttle delivered and titan delivered concept at the same time"

Fixed that for you :mad:

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

"Well SRBX use titan upperstage so it might count as both worst  best shuttle delivered and titan delivered concept at the same time"

Fixed that for you :mad:

If this forum had a downvote button, i'd send you straight to hell.

Spoiler

ngl it does sound extremely cool 

4 hours ago, derega16 said:

Oh my gosh what is this unholy abomination??? Also, what the heck is that thing on page 8?

I suppose one advantage of SRBX would be that the first stage boosters should be refurbishable, although I seem to remember that refurbishing Shuttle SRBs wasn't very cost effective or fast.

Edited by CDSlice

3 minutes ago, CDSlice said:

Oh my gosh what is this unholy abomination??? Also, what the heck is that thing on page 8?

I suppose one advantage if SRBX would be that the first stage boosters should be refurbishable, although I seem to remember that refurbishing Shuttle SRBs wasn't very cost effective or fast,

Let it henceforth be known as "disgusting shuttle-c"

Also, are they sending crew to saturn on a CENTAUR?

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

3 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

"disgusting shuttle-c"

Honestly, all SDLV's are inherently a little gross.  In my opinion, the shuttle-c was the least disgusting (at least the version with the recoverable engine pod)

Just now, Petrovich said:

Honestly, all SDLV's are inherently a little gross.  In my opinion, the shuttle-c was the least disgusting (at least the version with the recoverable engine pod)

Shuttle C is pretty cool, even if it wasn't the most efficient.

2 minutes ago, Petrovich said:

Yeah expendable ssmes are a terrible idea. I would be very much on board with SLS if there wasn’t so much contractor waste and if it used RS-68s instead.

Just now, Starhelperdude said:

aren't 3 RS-68 a little bit to strong?

3 RS-68s would be just about right, actually, given that they are ~1.3x more powerful in vac than an ssme.  About the same thrust, if not TWR, when compared to 4 SSMEs.

The loss in Isp would be fairly significant, but 5-segment SRBs could make up for that loss, and an Artemis lander is still well within those mass limits.

Just now, TranceaddicT said:

Yeah, about that ... Charlie Bolden, four-time astronaut, says, "SLS will go away"

Wait, really? We all knew it would go the way of the d(yno)s(oar)s, but having someone who used to be high up makes it sound exactly what it is, a project to occupy Boeing.

Also, you should probably say "former nasa administrator", not "4-time astronaut". Although both would be aware of internal politics, it's actually the admin's job.

To clarify, starship is much better than SLS. But I wouldn't have been so pessimistic towards the idea if it was meant to be sustainable. Because where do you go from SLS? With an expensive, complex, expendable design you were destined to only launch a handful of times a year at most.

2 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

To clarify, starship is much better than SLS. But I wouldn't have been so pessimistic towards the idea if it was meant to be sustainable. Because where do you go from SLS? With an expensive, complex, expendable design you were destined to only launch a handful of times a year at most.

Plus, at this point, it definitely will fly at least once. It'd be like cancelling the last 2 Apollo flights. 

6 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Plus, at this point, it definitely will fly at least once. It'd be like cancelling the last 2 Apollo flights. 

About that...

Those were cancelled. Congress got fed up and decided it liked Vietnam better.

Spoiler

Quick- I only have so much time, they’re coming for me! Take this, study it, learn it well! And when those people inevitably tell you it’s fake, remember they work for those 2-foot tall green elves with massive heads and bulging eyes! You have to learn about Kane 18!

28 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

About that...

Those were cancelled. Congress got fed up and decided it liked Vietnam better.

Hide contents

Quick- I only have so much time, they’re coming for me! Take this, study it, learn it well! And when those people inevitably tell you it’s fake, remember they work for those 2-foot tall green elves with massive heads and bulging eyes! You have to learn about Kane 18!

LMAO!!!