Jump to content

[1.8.1-1.11.2] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.7.3 "Огромный" 19/Apr/2021)


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, derega16 said:

Wait there is M-1sl ?

 

18 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Eh, there were lots of proposals for what to do with M-1.   Sea Level,   Very large Expansion bell, I think I saw a document about Airmat extending bell as well but going from memory on that.

 

Indeed there were various proposals for the M1. Although I dont recall seeing an Airmat. I would be interested in reading about it if you find it again.

The sea level version was loosely based on this. Due to geometry/AO reasons I couldn't recontour above the main torus but the exit diamter is the same (scaled).

unknown.png?width=1157&height=806

There was also this. No further comment:

(also no I'm not making this).

unknown.png?width=576&height=806

unknown.png?width=1050&height=806

This isnt fully done yet but since we're talking about heres another sneak peak:

screen_2560x1440_2021-04-20_02-15-42.png

 

Edited by Zorg
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Zorg said:

unknown.png?width=576&height=806

 

 

 

WAIT!  someone posted a REAL NOVA rocket drawing and not the fake Saturn C-8  "Nova"????

See folks if you want NOVA you want a rocket that can have 18 M-1 engines in the first stage....   not 8 F-1s (remember F-1s are smaller than M-1s!)

 

Ugh, I can see why you made the SL and Vac M-1s the same contour... just looking at the turbo machinery it would have to be completely re-done as well... including attachment points.  

BTW the emissives are starting to look nice :D

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zorg said:

 

unknown.png?width=576&height=806

unknown.png?width=1050&height=806

This isnt fully done yet but since we're talking about heres another sneak peak:

 

I wish some one make a mod that are aerospike effect and plume interaction to KSP

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, derega16 said:

I wish some one make a mod that are aerospike effect and plume interaction to KSP

sadly that would be rather hard because the aerodynamic shape of the launch vehicle would GREATLY impact the plume of any sort of Aerospike engine (be it plug, True Toroidal or Linear)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the new Saturn parts in development are going to increase in diameter, will the engines for Saturn be adjusted accordingly to give similar performance to what is already in game?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jcking said:

Since the new Saturn parts in development are going to increase in diameter, will the engines for Saturn be adjusted accordingly to give similar performance to what is already in game?

The current Saturn engines are slightly nerfed in thrust. They will be adjusted for the Saturn release. The intended stats for the engines and fuel loadings can be previewed in the latest update to the Saturn rescale  patch (which applies to the current Saturn V) in BDB_Extras on github. Its not final though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

thanks so much for reducing DCSS collider!!!

No problem. I didnt actually test it with any other mods but there should be more than enough room  though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So this might be a little out there... But I've been playing around with alternative uses to the Gemini parts, and was looking at the Bellini service module.  I've been trying to figure out how to mesh it with the gemini capsules, but it doesn't seem to match with either the capsule, three man adapter, or really anything.  Is this intentional and I'm just missing a part that will make it fit?  There's nothing in either of the wiki's about it, it just seems weird launching a craft with an obvious diameter mismatch.

Also, less of an issue with the mod, but is there a way (through other mods or patches) to produce LqdHydrogen in situ?  I've running several USI and NFT mods along with BDB, and figure there's got to be a conversion to something that would allow this.  I'm just hoping to squash this issue while my career is pretty slow before I actually need to refuel stuff in flight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Ghostshark27 said:

So this might be a little out there... But I've been playing around with alternative uses to the Gemini parts, and was looking at the Bellini service module.  I've been trying to figure out how to mesh it with the gemini capsules, but it doesn't seem to match with either the capsule, three man adapter, or really anything.  Is this intentional and I'm just missing a part that will make it fit?  There's nothing in either of the wiki's about it, it just seems weird launching a craft with an obvious diameter mismatch.

It connects to the normal retro section. I should probably add that to the description...

3cBFZ3h.png

Edited by CobaltWolf
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

It connects to the normal retro section. I should probably add that to the description...

 

Hmm, ok!  Thanks for the response!  I did try that, and it looked like a good fit externally, but iirc, the crew tunnels didn't really match, that's why I didn't go that route.  I could be wrong though, I was kind of doped up on cold medicine and in a fever dream last night. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ghostshark27 said:

Hmm, ok!  Thanks for the response!  I did try that, and it looked like a good fit externally, but iirc, the crew tunnels didn't really match, that's why I didn't go that route.  I could be wrong though, I was kind of doped up on cold medicine and in a fever dream last night. :D

Unfortunately the crew tunnels aren't really possible to fully realize in KSP, it would've been a lot of work for something that uh, might be a bit geometrically dubious. I mostly focused on the externals apart from the MOL service module. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Unfortunately the crew tunnels aren't really possible to fully realize in KSP, it would've been a lot of work for something that uh, might be a bit geometrically dubious. I mostly focused on the externals apart from the MOL service module. :)

Makes sense.  I've been using a lot of Gemini/MOL parts in my game, it's been fun breaking into the "What could have been" aspect of NASA.  Next up for me is building some some fancy Gemini/Saturn launch vehicles.  Might there eventually be some Gemini DA parts in the future?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghostshark27 said:

Makes sense.  I've been using a lot of Gemini/MOL parts in my game, it's been fun breaking into the "What could have been" aspect of NASA.  Next up for me is building some some fancy Gemini/Saturn launch vehicles.  Might there eventually be some Gemini DA parts in the future?

No promises if I'm honest, just not a priority. It (along with the Conical Big G) needs the Saturn revamp done first though, since the S-IVB diameter drives their bottom dimensions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm probably just dumb, as I have played KSP for a long time, and I have used liquid fuel launchers for most of that time, but how do I tailor the solid fuel boosters (minotaur for example) to suit the needs of my mission? I know I need to time my delta-v right, but I have no idea how to do that. I usually don't worry about my delta-v at all, but now I'm curious.

any advice/help you guys can give me?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CollectingSP said:

I'm probably just dumb, as I have played KSP for a long time, and I have used liquid fuel launchers for most of that time, but how do I tailor the solid fuel boosters (minotaur for example) to suit the needs of my mission? I know I need to time my delta-v right, but I have no idea how to do that. I usually don't worry about my delta-v at all, but now I'm curious.

any advice/help you guys can give me?

The stock game now has a delta V readout although Kerbal Engineer is nicer and will give you more information. You can tune the solid fuel quantities to suit your requirements and see the delta V readout in the VAB. For the sake of convenience, upper stage solids have a cut off feature, look for "Features BDB Safe Solid (tm)" in the part description. Since its not so practical in game to tune the delta V requirements as precisely as real life we give you this option to shut down (but not restart). This can be done using the right click part action window or via an action group. Finally I would recommend a liquid final stage or on board propulsion on the payload for final orbit adjustment as even with safe solid it probably wont be that precise. Hope this helps :) 

Edited by Zorg
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Zorg said:

The stock game now has a delta V readout although Kerbal Engineer is nicer and will give you more information. You can tune the solid fuel quantities to suit your requirements and see the delta V readout in the VAB. For the sake of convenience, upper stage solids have a cut off feature, look for "Features BDB Safe Solid (tm)" in the part description. Since its not so practical in game to tune the delta V requirements as precisely as real life we give you this option to shut down (but not restart). This can be done using the right click part action window or via an action group. Finally I would recommend a liquid final stage or on board propulsion on the payload for final orbit adjustment as even with safe solid it probably wont be that precise. Hope this helps :) 

A common thing I do is use an bossart-inon to put a satellite into geo-transfer-orbit.  Then I use the solid to move the Pe all the way out when the orbital requirements are meet.  Then the spacecraft has a little attitude control system that can fix the orbit errors and kerbal-station-keep.

-D

 

Edited by debaker02
Error
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Zorg said:

The stock game now has a delta V readout although Kerbal Engineer is nicer and will give you more information. You can tune the solid fuel quantities to suit your requirements and see the delta V readout in the VAB. For the sake of convenience, upper stage solids have a cut off feature, look for "Features BDB Safe Solid (tm)" in the part description. Since its not so practical in game to tune the delta V requirements as precisely as real life we give you this option to shut down (but not restart). This can be done using the right click part action window or via an action group. Finally I would recommend a liquid final stage or on board propulsion on the payload for final orbit adjustment as even with safe solid it probably wont be that precise. Hope this helps :) 

Thank you! 

that's pretty much what I needed. will it show me in the VAB the apoapsis I will be able to achieve? I have never used the in-game delta V calculator (as it doesn't *really* apply to me, I play in a Sandbox stock system, so most modded rockets get my payload up without problems.)

I'm trying to send a few Cubesats into a 1000-1500km orbit with MJ ascent guidance.

Edited by CollectingSP
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CollectingSP said:

that's pretty much what I needed. will it show me in the VAB the apoapsis I will be able to achieve? I have never used the in-game delta V calculator (as it doesn't *really* apply to me, I play in a Sandbox stock system, so most modded rockets get my payload up without problems.)

No its not going to do that. Do you play in the stock system? Or rescaled or with a planet pack?

The BDB authors and a lot of our users use JNSQ which has a Kerbin 2.7x larger. Since I like playing with solids and want to take the right kick stages, I prepared this table. This assumes achieving a 100x100km circular orbit with 4900-5200 m/s of Delta V. The table below is for transfer burns starting from that low circular orbit. 

If you dont use JNSQ (or a similar sized rescale) and you have the patience, the best option would be to do some pathfinding missions and find out for yourself :P 

unknown.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...