[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

5 hours ago, Teslamax said:

Do I need a higher level engineer or is the manual retract mechanic not available in game.

I do believe they are fixed.

1 hour ago, JoeFlyer said:

Good evening! Wonderful mod you guys have here. Following the manual (albeit old) and referencing some videos, I made a full Saturn V with proper staging thanks to you guys! Tweaked the gimble limits and it barely even wobbles! Looks great and stages nicely.

However, I’m having one problem staging doesn’t seem to solve, though. When it comes time to open the upperstage fairing on the way to the moon,  I can’t seem to get the service module to disconnect from the lunar module. (I turn on RCS on the service module to perform the rendezvous after opening the fairing, but it turns on RCS for both craft as if they are one vessel already, even though they are in proper launch orientation). The problem seems to lie in how the parts are assembled: when I put the lunar module below the service module in the VAB, it keeps automatically putting a fairing over the CSM engine bell as if the two vessels are connected. I tried putting a small coupling, but this breaks the rocket, and I have found no other way to mount the lunar module to the fairing, as the lunar descent engine doesn’t have the green mounting bubble. Has anyone had this issue? I’d love to get it to work properly. I hope I’ve described it well enough. 

(Also: Sorry if this has been addressed before, I googled as much as I could and perused this thread but there are just too many pages and I didn’t find anything). 

Best,

Joe

Joe, It sound like you built the Saturn Rocket in the wrong order.   I suggest starting with the LEM, Build it completely, then put a decoupler on the LDE on the LEM, then Place the LEM in a SLA part. THEN put the SM engine in the top of the SLA  Build up and Build down from there.   You can open the SLA panels to work on placing antenna or any solar panels you want on your SM.

When you are building your rocket you are attaching to the LEM's docking port node instead of the SLA node.   Basically your SM is too low.

Oh and if you use autostruts you won't have ANY wobble

PPS:   If the AJ10-137 engine-plate is not flush with the top of the SLA you have it attached to the wrong node.  

Edited by Pappystein

55 minutes ago, Pappystein said:
6 hours ago, Teslamax said:

Do I need a higher level engineer or is the manual retract mechanic not available in game.

I do believe they are fixed.

It isn't listed in the image I shared but... The solar array shows a button that says "retract array" or something similar when the EVA kerbal is within a given range.

I assume that message is a mistake then.

8 hours ago, JoeFlyer said:

. Following the manual (albeit old) ...

You should use the unofficial wiki (linked below), the old manual is very outdated.

When building the Saturn V, attach the Lunar Module to the base of the Lander Adapter Module (it doesn't need a decoupler).  The the top node of the LAM attaches to a hidden node on the CSM's engine.  In space, stage the LAM and CSM engine at the same time - this will discard the petals and detach the CSM so you can spin it around and dock with the LEM.  You then need to manually detach the lander from the LAM using the part action window.

21 hours ago, computercat04 said:

Yes, and it works well.

Works, yes.  Well?  Not so sure.  I don't see where anyone has addressed the issue of the thrust/consumption being off with the new version.  I'm still having problems getting existing ships into orbit when before I had more than enough ISP.  I don't know if its a change in the way its calculated or something that isn't save-game compatible, but it's not working right and I haven't seen anyone address it despite there having been multiple reports of an issue several pages ago (including mine) that got buried pretty quickly unfortunately.

Edited by CAPFlyer

On 1/6/2021 at 12:00 PM, CAPFlyer said:

Works, yes.  Well?  Not so sure.  I don't see where anyone has addressed the issue of the thrust/consumption being off with the new version.  I'm still having problems getting existing ships into orbit when before I had more than enough ISP.  I don't know if its a change in the way its calculated or something that isn't save-game compatible, but it's not working right and I haven't seen anyone address it despite there having been multiple reports of an issue several pages ago (including mine) that got buried pretty quickly unfortunately.

Also, just to clarify - this is all BDB rockets.  I tested it again in a new save on the most current version of 1.11 and *only* the BDB engines have this problem with performance not matching calculations when using MechJeb PVE ascent guidance.  When I use stock, or even like Missing History or other similar "stockalike" addons, PVE is rock steady on its predictions and it does what it says it'll do and I end up where I should be.  With BDB, the dV calculations are not matching performance, meaning I'm consuming fuel at full rate, but what's coming out the back isn't right.  I don't understand enough about how the addons are done and what is involved in performance calculations, so I can't tell you where the problem is, but I know that all the engines are substantially under performing compared to what they were under 1.10.

Hi, I wondered if I could get help with something I'm trying to achieve. I'm having a play at replacing the Saturn V parts to match their real-life counterparts in terms of weight, mass, thrust, Isp, volumes etc. now I have configured the F-1 engines, the J-2 Engines, the SIC tank mass & volume, but the S-II is giving me a little trouble. I believe it may have something to do with B9Partswitch config but I cant quite put my finger on which config I need to edit. Now I know the LH2/LO mixture is roughly 3.3/1, respectively. But I'm a little unsure of how many litres/unit KSP uses for LH2/LO in the B9 config. In the S-II tank config file I have the volumes set as a 3.3/1 mixture but in game I'm still getting volumes as a 15/1.

Would appreciate if somebody could help me with the B9 config files within BDB. Thanks 

5 hours ago, CAPFlyer said:

Also, just to clarify - this is all BDB rockets.  I tested it again in a new save on the most current version of 1.11 and *only* the BDB engines have this problem with performance not matching calculations when using MechJeb PVE ascent guidance.  When I use stock, or even like Missing History or other similar "stockalike" addons, PVE is rock steady on its predictions and it does what it says it'll do and I end up where I should be.  With BDB, the dV calculations are not matching performance, meaning I'm consuming fuel at full rate, but what's coming out the back isn't right.  I don't understand enough about how the addons are done and what is involved in performance calculations, so I can't tell you where the problem is, but I know that all the engines are substantially under performing compared to what they were under 1.10.

1 hour ago, si2504 said:

Hi, I wondered if I could get help with something I'm trying to achieve. I'm having a play at replacing the Saturn V parts to match their real-life counterparts in terms of weight, mass, thrust, Isp, volumes etc. now I have configured the F-1 engines, the J-2 Engines, the SIC tank mass & volume, but the S-II is giving me a little trouble. I believe it may have something to do with B9Partswitch config but I cant quite put my finger on which config I need to edit. Now I know the LH2/LO mixture is roughly 3.3/1, respectively. But I'm a little unsure of how many litres/unit KSP uses for LH2/LO in the B9 config. In the S-II tank config file I have the volumes set as a 3.3/1 mixture but in game I'm still getting volumes as a 15/1.

Would appreciate if somebody could help me with the B9 config files within BDB. Thanks 

In short you don't want to do that.  The fuel ratios are already correct.  You are messing with multiple unit types and assuming they are all the same when they are not.  

for example the 15:1 ratio of LH2 to Oxidizer IS a 3:1 ratio!

EDITED:

I will further add that Saturn IS under-scaled but the next major update IS SATURN.  So have some chill time, sit back and await progress with the rest of us.  We are getting a proper 5.625m  Saturn V sometime soon(tm)

Alternatively you can look at the RSS/RO threaeds as they have partial/full conversions for BDB's Saturn.  

Edited by Pappystein

11 minutes ago, ninthninja05 said:

I'm having trouble finding the real name config patches. Could someone please provide the file path to locate it? Thanks! :)

It is BD_Extras (No Warranty)\GameData\Bluedog_DB_Extras\BDB_RealNames\RealNames.cfg

Edited by MotokiKuN
clarification

0OuxSHp.png

Experiencing a weird problem with the Atlas booster skirt and I'm really not sure what to make of it. When it's separated it doesn't fall away from the sustainer core, but rather fixes itself right behind the vehicle and follows it into orbit. Once I active timewarp outside of the atmosphere it pops out of sight and I can sometimes see it as a marker hundreds of kilometers behind me, but until then it just eerily hangs behind the Atlas.

clB8f50.png

Moving the vehicle itself doesn't affect the skirt; here the Atlas is pointing roughly anti-normal about 30 seconds after skirt jettison. As you can see the skirt is still stuck in space.

The problem is at its worst when the skirt gets stuck so close to the booster that the center sustainer engine is still trapped inside its shroud.  When that happens the booster gets stuck in whatever orientation it was facing at skirt jettison, because the colliders on the skirt do activate once it's jettisoned. Also on multi-stage vehicles (like the Atlas-Agena shown here) the skirt still follows the upper stage once it separates from the Atlas. Only timewarp seems to make it disappear.

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Experiencing a weird problem with the Atlas booster skirt and I'm really not sure what to make of it. When it's separated it doesn't fall away from the sustainer core, but rather fixes itself right behind the vehicle and follows it into orbit. Once I active timewarp outside of the atmosphere it pops out of sight and I can sometimes see it as a marker hundreds of kilometers behind me, but until then it just eerily hangs behind the Atlas.

Moving the vehicle itself doesn't affect the skirt; here the Atlas is pointing roughly anti-normal about 30 seconds after skirt jettison. As you can see the skirt is still stuck in space.

The problem is at its worst when the skirt gets stuck so close to the booster that the center sustainer engine is still trapped inside its shroud.  When that happens the booster gets stuck in whatever orientation it was facing at skirt jettison, because the colliders on the skirt do activate once it's jettisoned. Also on multi-stage vehicles (like the Atlas-Agena shown here) the skirt still follows the upper stage once it separates from the Atlas. Only timewarp seems to make it disappear.

Are you playing with the release version or dev? I believe this has been fixed on the github master branch and will be included in the next release. Keep in mind the next official release will likely be after KSP 1.11.1 at the earliest.

3 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

0OuxSHp.png

clB8f50.png

Go to bluedog_Atlas_BoosterSkirt.cfg and change from 

PhysicsSignificance = 1

to 

//  PhysicsSignificance = 1

at line 48.

Edited by computercat04

15 hours ago, Jso said:

Okay, read through that and I see how that could be the culprit.  I've (for now) chanted the Physics.cfg to add a couple decimal places to the default minimum, but it mentions in the comment that a new RBMin mass can be specified by part, so can I be safe to believe that this is something that will be added to this project (and probably others) as we move forward and I won't have to change it with each update at some point?

1 hour ago, CAPFlyer said:

Okay, read through that and I see how that could be the culprit.  I've (for now) chanted the Physics.cfg to add a couple decimal places to the default minimum, but it mentions in the comment that a new RBMin mass can be specified by part, so can I be safe to believe that this is something that will be added to this project (and probably others) as we move forward and I won't have to change it with each update at some point?

I assume that this will be fixed by SQUAD in the near future.   IE you will be able to have your Physics.cfg set back to defaults.         Atleast I hope so!

Found this abomination on NSF so, I decided to post it here for idea. Fatlas with SRB-X style shuttle SRB and stretched Fatlas with J-2 and even longer Centaur G the last one is unclear that 2 outher J2 are jettison or not, but I'm sure that BDB J-2 can fit into Fatlas structure and can jettison booster skirt safely as I already use it in my triproplant fatlas

47516490311_a5e1e7e14e_o.jpg

Edited by derega16

16 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

ish,.   If you go up earlier this page you can clearly see posts talking about how 1.11 has major physics bugs.  

Skwoooooood

Also, as Pappystein has noted several times recently on the thread, apologies for the lack of progress everyone. I've basically been working 10+ hour days every day since... Thanksgiving or so. Weekends included :P

20 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Also, as Pappystein has noted several times recently on the thread, apologies for the lack of progress everyone. I've basically been working 10+ hour days every day since... Thanksgiving or so. Weekends included :P

You don´t have to apologize for your private life / your work load. Let´s hope that you have more freetime soon... before you get a burnout ;) 

Hey guys, loving this mod so far! I'm sure this has been asked before but a quick search didn't help me, is there a way to make all parts show up in the simple parts list? I'm more interested in kitbashing my own custom ships rather than rebuilding real missions and would love to actually have every available engine show up under engines, for example. If there's no easy way to do this, I totally understand though, just thought I'd ask! Thanks!

Edited by RyGuy_McFly