[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

What if all other NASA capsules flown on Titans.

Mercury Titan  I(This thing can barely get to LKO)

yb8Y3yj.jpg

Apollo Titan III

k4Va4Me.jpg

Orion Titan V (I use LDC with shuttle boosters proporsal as I can't find engine for LH2+UA1207 version, but this version have absolutly terrible TWR)

fJ9fXjh.jpg

Edited by derega16

57 minutes ago, derega16 said:

What if all other NASA capsules flown on Titans.

Mercury Titan  I(This thing can barely get to LKO)

yb8Y3yj.jpg

Apollo Titan III

k4Va4Me.jpg

Orion Titan V (I use LDC with shuttle boosters proporsal as I can't find engine for LH2+UA1207 version, but this version have absolutly terrible TWR)

fJ9fXjh.jpg

Interesting builds.   I haven't tried to use SRMs on the LDC Titan.   Couple comments as some of these builds are actually proposed builds:

1) Mercury Titan I would likely have had 2 or 4 Algol SRMs, it wouldn't be a Zero stage like on the latter Titans, but would have increased the TWR enough to have stage separation near vacuum.   The USAF's MISS program proposed that as a potential launcher.   well more mentioned it than proposed it.

Your Titan V Orion.   Are you using LFO or Hydrolox for the Core stages?   I run 5x J-2S on the first stage and 2x LR87 LH2 VAC engines on the LDC core and find it plenty powerful with plenty of d/v

2 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Your Titan V Orion.   Are you using LFO or Hydrolox for the Core stages?   I run 5x J-2S on the first stage and 2x LR87 LH2 VAC engines on the LDC core and find it plenty powerful with plenty of d/v

I used "Enlarged Titan VI with SRMU version" just double the engine count on both stage . The correct Hydrolox version should use something with similar thrust to a M-1SL (Astronautic said 1m lbs.) but smaller/lighter. I tried M1-SL but it is too heavy.

Hi, I'm getting massive amounts of Waterfall NREs, like 80MB worth. I was told to come ask about it here, though I honestly don't know exactly why. So here's asking for help and apologizing for asking for help :)

First one is from flying the Vulcan by Superpenguin.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VURJENsfdoVEuyb5YOpzDXKCyYu66jDb/view?usp=sharing

Second one is from flying an LDC with 2 SRBs and a Methalox engine from CryoEngines

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Is2bbmKj5xuSK1c7MW0jf91F4uEGkswF/view?usp=sharing

While I have no expectations of help with the flood of NREs, I do want to ask if it's possible to use BDB without Waterfall? Or is it strictly required now? B9 is very unhappy without it.

EDITED UPDATE: Nertea gave me the clue I needed to figure this out.  The Decker engine seems to cause NREs in waterfall. In case anyone else runs into waterfall issues, it doesn't matter if you activate an engine or not - if it's on the craft and has a config issue, Waterfall can complain. 

This is waterfall 0.6.3 and BDB-github:

Spoiler

TqaZrr5.jpg

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
updated info

On 5/19/2021 at 7:46 PM, TaintedLion said:

I doubt this is high on your list of priorities right now, but what would you say to the possibility of parts from the TV series For All Mankind, like the Jamestown base, or the three-person LM (LSAM)?

On 5/20/2021 at 2:00 PM, derega16 said:

Talk about alternate history, what about stuff from other, like space time odyssey's Spacebase, maybe not fully reusable Saturn Shuttle as it will be ridiculously hard to make it to work in KSP

My general policy for fictional stuff like that is they're meant to be a prop, and usually not plausible enough design-wise to do.

On 5/20/2021 at 8:52 AM, Starhelperdude said:

lol, how about a augustus cargo pod-like variant for the apollo CM?

That's what the AARDV is for :) Unless you needed the return capability...

1 hour ago, TaintedLion said:

What about a deployable LRV that can be mounted on the side of the LEM?

Or it comes in parts that we can build using the 1.11 construction mode?

No.

...But if it happened it'd be the second one.

18 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Hi, I'm getting massive amounts of Waterfall NREs, like 80MB worth. I was told to come ask about it here, though I honestly don't know exactly why. So here's asking for help and apologizing for asking for help :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VURJENsfdoVEuyb5YOpzDXKCyYu66jDb/view?usp=sharing

Second one is from flying an LDC with 2 SRBs and a Methalox engine from CryoEngines

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Is2bbmKj5xuSK1c7MW0jf91F4uEGkswF/view?usp=sharing

While I have no expectations of help with the flood of NREs, I do want to ask if it's possible to use BDB without Waterfall? Or is it strictly required now? B9 is very unhappy without it.

EDITED UPDATE: Nertea gave me the clue I needed to figure this out.  The Decker engine seems to cause NREs in waterfall. In case anyone else runs into waterfall issues, it doesn't matter if you activate an engine or not - if it's on the craft and has a config issue, Waterfall can complain. 

Hide contents

Thanks will check on this.

20 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Reveal hidden contents

TqaZrr5.jpg

I'm unable to reproduce this issue thus far. On my mostly clean 1.11.2 test install I can launch both variants of the Vega engine without nullrefs. 

Also BDB can be used without Waterfall (either stock or realplume) but what do you mean B9 is unhappy without it? I just tested it and BDB launches fine without waterfall with no errors. 

I would suggest reinstalling BDB and all its dependencies. If the problem continues I think I would need to see the module manager log and config cache.

On 5/19/2021 at 10:07 PM, Crimor said:

Of course, since it's a dependency for tweakscale nowadays, still didn't do anything with BDB.

To tell you the true, KSP-Recall it's a dependency for a modded KSP. TweakScale is only the one being vocal on it. ;) 

(lots of Add'Ons need KSP-Recall to work on KSP 1.11.x - check github and see for yourself!)

On 5/19/2021 at 10:07 PM, Crimor said:

It's likely due to an ongoing compatibility issue between tweakscale/recall and b9ps

Or a third-party patch or DLL those presence triggers something on B9PS that's only perceivable using TweakScale or Recall. Last "problem" I fixed on Recall was due a third party doing checks about the storable volume of the Resourceful volume and borking due it being zero, and the "fix" was to use a so small value that would be rounded down to zero by KSP, but since was still non-zero, that third party DLL stopped complaining. This can be something like this again.

The Titan IIIE simple adjustable fairing is not shielding the payload. I noticed it because the rocket loved to flip over since the payload is causing tons of drag. I've tested all the other 2m+ SAF adapters on the same payload and they are working properly. 

Spoiler

2HKl2GD.jpg

Spoiler

fH1U5z3.jpg

Spoiler

XS1H1Gg.jpg

Last image shows the payload has drag. 

Edited by dave1904

58 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I'm unable to reproduce this issue thus far. On my mostly clean 1.11.2 test install I can launch both variants of the Vega engine without nullrefs. 

Also BDB can be used without Waterfall (either stock or realplume) but what do you mean B9 is unhappy without it? I just tested it and BDB launches fine without waterfall with no errors. 

I would suggest reinstalling BDB and all its dependencies. If the problem continues I think I would need to see the module manager log and config cache.

This might be related to the same problem I encountered with the LR9107-167 that you already fixed. I didn't catch it in my current career game as I haven't had the time to get that far up the tech tree :mad: The problem would only show  up if another part that loaded after BDB was applying the same template to differently named transform. Just poking quick at the current release it looks like the Decker is missing overrideParentTransform  from the kerolox template

@OrbitalManeuvers  do you have Near Future Launch Vehicles installed? It uses the same template as the vega engines but applies it to a different thrust transform.

2 minutes ago, somnambulist said:

This might be related to the same problem I encountered with the LR9107-167 that you already fixed. I didn't catch it in my current career game as I haven't had the time to get that far up the tech tree :mad: The problem would only show  up if another part that loaded after BDB was applying the same template to differently named transform. Just poking quick at the current release it looks like the Decker is missing overrideParentTransform  from the kerolox template

@OrbitalManeuvers  do you have Near Future Launch Vehicles installed? It uses the same template as the vega engines but applies it to a different thrust transform.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about that fix :confused:. I'll push that to the github shortly and @OrbitalManeuvers can let me know if that's resolved it. (I thought I had caught all the engines missing the definition tbh).

14 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

The Titan IIIE simple adjustable fairing is not shielding the payload. I noticed it because the rocket loved to flip over since the payload is causing tons of drag. I've tested all the other 2m+ SAF adapters on the same payload and they are working properly. 

Reveal hidden contents

2HKl2GD.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

fH1U5z3.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

XS1H1Gg.jpg

Last image shows the payload has drag. 

Thanks, I've made a note, will look into it sometime this weekend.

27 minutes ago, somnambulist said:

do you have Near Future Launch Vehicles installed?

Thank you for braining on my problem. I do not have LV, but I have CryoEngines and CryoTanks.

24 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I'll push that to the github shortly and @OrbitalManeuvers can let me know if that's resolved it.

Will watch for updates. Went ahead and confirmed I have the latest (I was a commit or two behind) and issue remains. Btw, the BDB repo is behind on a couple of mods - CRP and WaterFall. I'm using the latest of both of those, but I can downgrade if you'd like me to for testing.

30 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Thanks, I've made a note, will look into it sometime this weekend.

I compared the config to the other SAF parts in BDB and simply made the change of putting the module ModuleSimpleAdjustableFairing before ModuleB9PartSwitch(Texture) and its working now. No Idea why but maybe it might save you a couple of secs. the working config is below. I have no idea what I am doing but it seems to work. 

Spoiler

PART:NEEDS[Bluedog_DB/Parts/Titan]
{
    // --- general parameters ---
    name = bluedog_Titan3E_PLF_SAF
    module = Part
    author = CobaltWolf & Zorg

// --- asset parameters ---
    MODEL
    {
        model =  Bluedog_DB/Parts/Titan/bluedog_Titan3E_PLF
    }
    MODEL
    {
        model = Bluedog_DB/Parts/SAF_Fairings/bluedog_Titan3E_Fairing
    }
    rescaleFactor = 1.0

// --- node definitions ---
    // definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.85729, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
    node_stack_inner =  0.0, 0.65222, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.94768, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
    node_stack_top2 = 0.0, -0.8, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

// --- FX definitions ---
    sound_vent_large = decouple
    fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.3, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, deploy
    // --- editor parameters ---
    TechRequired = generalConstruction
    entryCost = 5000
    cost = 2500 // 600+1900
    category = Payload
    subcategory = 0
    title = Prometheus-IIIE 2.6m Fairing Base Adapter SAF
    manufacturer =  Bluedog Design Bureau
    description =  1.875m to 2.6m fairing base adapter for the Prometheus IIIE rocket. Includes room inside for mounting upper stages up to 1.875m. *This version has an integrated adjustable solid fairing.

real_title = Titan III-E 2.6m Fairing Base adapter SAF
    real_manufacturer = McDonnell Douglas
    real_description = 1.875m to 2.6m fairing base adapter for the Titan III-E rocket. Includes room inside for mounting upper stages up to 1.875m. *This version has an integrated adjustable solid fairing.
    stagingIcon = FUEL_TANK
    // attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
    attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0 // attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
    stackSymmetry = 1

// --- standard part parameters ---
    mass = 0.175
    //CoMOffset = 0, 0.8, 0
    dragModelType = default
    crashTolerance = 9
    maxTemp = 2600
    fuelCrossFeed = False
    heatConductivity = 0.003 //mitigates heat convection across stages

breakingForce = 2000
    breakingTorque = 2000

stageOffset = 1
    childStageOffset = 1

bulkheadProfiles = size1p5

tags = ?sm68 titan prometheus 3 III ?3E ?IIIE fairing base 1.875 2.6 1875 plf ?SAF ?simple ?adjustable

techtag = titan3

MODULE
      {
          name = ModuleSimpleAdjustableFairing

segmentLength = 2.62615
          maxSegments = 8
          numSlices = 2

deploySpeed = 10

shieldingCenter = 0, 3.91232, 0
          shieldingBaseRadius = 4.86

editorOpenOffset = 7.5, 0, 0
            stagingToggleEnabledEditor = true

WALL_BASE //4.48095
          {
              transformName = 3EWallbase
              enabled = true
              mass = 0.184
              CoM = 0.65, 3.1876, 0
              rootOffset = 0, 0.94768, 0
          }

WALL //2.62615
          {
              transformName = 3EWall
              mass = 0.107
              CoM = 0.65, 6.71953, 0
              rootOffset = 0, 5.42863, 0
          }

CONE //3.09977
          {
              transformName = 3ECone
              mass = 0.089
              CoM = 0.65, 6.73, 0
          }
          CAP
          {
              transformName = 3ECap
              mass = 0.001
              CoM = 0, 8.5284, 0
              rootOffset = 0, 8.5284, 0
          }
      }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 0
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupRadius = 1.25
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
        moduleID = centaurFairingToggle
        switcherDescription = Fairing Base Section
        switcherDescriptionPlural = Fairing Base Sections

SUBTYPE
        {
            name = centaurFairing
            title = 3E Centaur Fairing
            defaultSubtypePriority = 1
        }

SUBTYPE
        {
            name = None
            title = Plain fairing
            defaultSubtypePriority = 0

MODULE
            {
                IDENTIFIER
                {
                }

DATA
                {
                  WALL_BASE //4.48095
                  {
                      enabled = false
                  }

WALL //2.62615
                  {
                      transformName = 3EWall
                      mass = 0.107
                      CoM = 0.65, 2.25, 0
                  }

CONE //3.09977
                  {
                      transformName = 3ECone
                      mass = 0.089
                      CoM = 0.65, 2.485, 0
                  }
                  CAP
                  {
                      transformName = 3ECap
                      mass = 0.001
                      CoM = 0, 4.04745, 0
                      rootOffset = 0, 4.04745, 0
                  }
                }
            }
        }
    }
    MODULE
    {
        moduleID = textureSwitchPaint
        switcherDescription = Paintjob
        switcherDescriptionPlural = Paintjobs
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = White
        }
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = Gray
            TEXTURE
            {
                texture = Bluedog_DB/Parts/Titan/Paint/Gray/bluedog_TitanMisc_Gray
                transform = Mesh
            }
        }
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = Chrayol
            TEXTURE
            {
                texture = Bluedog_DB/Parts/Titan/Paint/Chrayol/bluedog_TitanMisc_Chrayol
                transform = Mesh
            }
        }
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = White (Alt)
            TEXTURE
            {
                texture = Bluedog_DB/Parts/Titan/Paint/White/bluedog_TitanMisc_WhiteAlt
                transform = Mesh
            }
        }
    }
}

Edited by dave1904

9 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Thank you for braining on my problem. I do not have LV, but I have CryoEngines and CryoTanks.

That might be it or it could be a completely different mod. fwiw I was able to reproduce your problem with NFLV installed and Zorg's update fixed it. Hope you find the same

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

Or a third-party patch or DLL those presence triggers something on B9PS that's only perceivable using TweakScale or Recall. Last "problem" I fixed on Recall was due a third party doing checks about the storable volume of the Resourceful volume and borking due it being zero, and the "fix" was to use a so small value that would be rounded down to zero by KSP, but since was still non-zero, that third party DLL stopped complaining. This can be something like this again.

Whatever it is, it triggers with just tweakscale, BDD and their dependencies(including recall ofc), BDB and configcontainers not working with tweakscale atm is a major setback to me making pretty looking ships, way too used to using them to brute force looks :v

27 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

I compared the config to the other SAF parts in BDB and simply made the change of putting the module ModuleSimpleAdjustableFairing before ModuleB9PartSwitch(Texture) and its working now. No Idea why but maybe it might save you a couple of secs. the working config is below. I have no idea what I am doing but it seems to work. 

Reveal hidden contents

PART:NEEDS[Bluedog_DB/Parts/Titan]
{
    // --- general parameters ---
    name = bluedog_Titan3E_PLF_SAF
    module = Part
    author = CobaltWolf & Zorg

// --- asset parameters ---
    MODEL
    {
        model =  Bluedog_DB/Parts/Titan/bluedog_Titan3E_PLF
    }
    MODEL
    {
        model = Bluedog_DB/Parts/SAF_Fairings/bluedog_Titan3E_Fairing
    }
    rescaleFactor = 1.0

// --- node definitions ---
    // definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.85729, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
    node_stack_inner =  0.0, 0.65222, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.94768, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
    node_stack_top2 = 0.0, -0.8, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

// --- FX definitions ---
    sound_vent_large = decouple
    fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.3, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, deploy
    // --- editor parameters ---
    TechRequired = generalConstruction
    entryCost = 5000
    cost = 2500 // 600+1900
    category = Payload
    subcategory = 0
    title = Prometheus-IIIE 2.6m Fairing Base Adapter SAF
    manufacturer =  Bluedog Design Bureau
    description =  1.875m to 2.6m fairing base adapter for the Prometheus IIIE rocket. Includes room inside for mounting upper stages up to 1.875m. *This version has an integrated adjustable solid fairing.

real_title = Titan III-E 2.6m Fairing Base adapter SAF
    real_manufacturer = McDonnell Douglas
    real_description = 1.875m to 2.6m fairing base adapter for the Titan III-E rocket. Includes room inside for mounting upper stages up to 1.875m. *This version has an integrated adjustable solid fairing.
    stagingIcon = FUEL_TANK
    // attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
    attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0 // attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
    stackSymmetry = 1

// --- standard part parameters ---
    mass = 0.175
    //CoMOffset = 0, 0.8, 0
    dragModelType = default
    crashTolerance = 9
    maxTemp = 2600
    fuelCrossFeed = False
    heatConductivity = 0.003 //mitigates heat convection across stages

breakingForce = 2000
    breakingTorque = 2000

stageOffset = 1
    childStageOffset = 1

bulkheadProfiles = size1p5

tags = ?sm68 titan prometheus 3 III ?3E ?IIIE fairing base 1.875 2.6 1875 plf ?SAF ?simple ?adjustable

techtag = titan3

MODULE
      {

segmentLength = 2.62615
          maxSegments = 8
          numSlices = 2

deploySpeed = 10

shieldingCenter = 0, 3.91232, 0
          shieldingBaseRadius = 4.86

editorOpenOffset = 7.5, 0, 0
            stagingToggleEnabledEditor = true

WALL_BASE //4.48095
          {
              transformName = 3EWallbase
              enabled = true
              mass = 0.184
              CoM = 0.65, 3.1876, 0
          }

WALL //2.62615
          {
              transformName = 3EWall
              mass = 0.107
              CoM = 0.65, 6.71953, 0
          }

CONE //3.09977
          {
              transformName = 3ECone
              mass = 0.089
              CoM = 0.65, 6.73, 0
          }
          CAP
          {
              transformName = 3ECap
              mass = 0.001
              CoM = 0, 8.5284, 0
              rootOffset = 0, 8.5284, 0
          }
      }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 0
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupRadius = 1.25
    }

MODULE
    {
        moduleID = centaurFairingToggle
        switcherDescription = Fairing Base Section
        switcherDescriptionPlural = Fairing Base Sections

SUBTYPE
        {
            name = centaurFairing
            title = 3E Centaur Fairing
            defaultSubtypePriority = 1
        }

SUBTYPE
        {
            name = None
            title = Plain fairing
            defaultSubtypePriority = 0

MODULE
            {
                IDENTIFIER
                {
                }

DATA
                {
                  WALL_BASE //4.48095
                  {
                      enabled = false
                  }

WALL //2.62615
                  {
                      transformName = 3EWall
                      mass = 0.107
                      CoM = 0.65, 2.25, 0
                  }

CONE //3.09977
                  {
                      transformName = 3ECone
                      mass = 0.089
                      CoM = 0.65, 2.485, 0
                  }
                  CAP
                  {
                      transformName = 3ECap
                      mass = 0.001
                      CoM = 0, 4.04745, 0
                      rootOffset = 0, 4.04745, 0
                  }
                }
            }
        }
    }
    MODULE
    {
        moduleID = textureSwitchPaint
        switcherDescription = Paintjob
        switcherDescriptionPlural = Paintjobs
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = White
        }
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = Gray
            TEXTURE
            {
                texture = Bluedog_DB/Parts/Titan/Paint/Gray/bluedog_TitanMisc_Gray
                transform = Mesh
            }
        }
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = Chrayol
            TEXTURE
            {
                texture = Bluedog_DB/Parts/Titan/Paint/Chrayol/bluedog_TitanMisc_Chrayol
                transform = Mesh
            }
        }
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = White (Alt)
            TEXTURE
            {
                texture = Bluedog_DB/Parts/Titan/Paint/White/bluedog_TitanMisc_WhiteAlt
                transform = Mesh
            }
        }
    }
}

This should fix it. However I am pushing an update though. The reason is that SAF provides shielding by hooking into the stock cargo bay module which links to a given deploy module . But it references this by index instead of module name. Changing the line ``DeployModuleIndex = 0`` to 1 in ModuleCargoBay fixes the problem as well.

3 variants of the Apollo Scimitar antenna coming in the update.

The round flight model, one inspired by the unshielded version on the Apollo 9 LM, and a squared one inspired by (I believe) a mockup.

E2FuPCKXEAgUCTa?format=png&name=900x900

Spoiler

E2FudhZWEBE9WJw?format=png&name=900x900
E2FuhBaWYAAYL_2?format=png&name=small
E2FujodXMAE0CsV?format=jpg&name=large

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

3 variants of the Apollo Scimitar antenna coming in the update.

The round flight model, one inspired by the unshielded version on the Apollo 9 LM, and a squared one inspired by (I believe) a mockup.

E2FuPCKXEAgUCTa?format=png&name=900x900

Hide contents

E2FudhZWEBE9WJw?format=png&name=900x900
E2FuhBaWYAAYL_2?format=png&name=small
E2FujodXMAE0CsV?format=jpg&name=large

ohhh white service module