[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Re: your edit, and this goes for everyone, I am REALLY awful at keeping tags updated and thinking of things that people would search for. Please feel free, especially as we approach release, to bring up these sort of user experience issues because I am REALLY not tuned into them.

I'll be "that guy"... A good whack of the titan revamp parts don't have sane tags, many are only "?sm68". This would make them easy to search for at least... :P

The new toys look really neat, and timely... I have a mission to build a low tech station in LKO:D 

Oh, and, good to be back... I'm glad everyone is doing well.

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The spool up time for the LR-87s is a side effect of needing to let the bwoooOOOOOP play out, but I think all the liquid engines should have it so you have reason to do more realistic launch sequences.

Tacking this on... A scan of the files shows that this is true for the titans, but not any of the other liquid engines excepting the F1. It's in use across the board on solids to great effect, though. The plume crew needs another round of applause.

Minor bug report.  MOL RCS (new one) does not seem to have a For/AFT function even though that would be the largest nozzle on the module.   I am trying to add a new Docking node to my station (5 way dock) and using one set of these I get no fore/aft thrust (whatever direction the nozzle is pointing.

Some new part love!

MOL station Segment 1  Command Control + LAB.

pRNCjOa.jpg

Tug was jettisoned shortly after this pic to make room for....

I6OYi9i.jpg

The HAB + Airlock / Gemini Docking nodes (as welll as APAS behind the stock structural ring decoupler in ugly orange)

Both launches are on what I call a Titan IIIC(40B)  (Titan IIIC plus Titan III Comerical Fairing base and SRMU boosters on a Titan IIIM core)

yGpGFXr.jpgFCc3tcU.jpg

And the Advanced 5 way Docking port for the top end was launched on a Titan IIC(23-3)   Which is a Titan II(23G) updated with 2x UA1203 SRMs and Transtage

3ailpzG.jpg

Left that one full size due to beautiful sunrise launch  The Titan IIIE fairing is hiding the Advanced Docking Module for MOL + a fun new toy I have been playing with... Centaur JR.

Final Result:   First 3 (CORE) segments of my MOL station.

O1vAHTW.jpg

Note, I have had to use several stock parts on this due to BDB not having similar parts.....

Specifically I actually like Trust type decouplers for inside fairing decouplers.   Also they allow room for things like the APAS passive Docking port I have between that orange one and the station proper on Transtage Tug.   Also the 6 way port for my APAS / Drogue docking system.  and lastly I ended up using a Tweakscaled Rockomax structural cone to go from 0.9375 to 1.875 because any of the BDB ones with their rather old textures did not look as nice.   And yes, I know those will be updated very SOON(TM)!   I did use the  Thor 0.9375 to 0.625 cone for the Drogue at the very right end of the Station.

As reported above the MOL RCS ports do not seem to work 100% right.   I ended up using Apollo R-4D + Transtage single Direction RCS on the Advanced Docking module (right side of the above picture) to ALLOW the Advanced Docking Module to actually DOCK with the core station.    Originally I had a 4x MOL + 4x Transtage single direction.

The station above has enough RCS to supply 2 or 3 Gemini Shuttle missions with enough Mono for a full on return without using retro system.   There is only 2 Drogue ports (Y+ core and X+ Advanced Docking port) in the view   Z positive being considered the side facing in this shot.

New MOL lab part Textures are pretty awesome.   I was going to wait for a new MOL HAB module but decided to just launch the old one... as I had that segment built prior to the newest parts hitting Dev (just needed a Core to attach to.)

Oh and Yes RE the Black SRMUs... The Black Ones Go Faster (err wasn't that supposed to be RED ones???  IDK  Been a while since I played 40K)

Oh and a major post script here.   I am making up my designations for Titans for my own play-through.   The Designations above are 100% mine.   Martin Marietta had nothing to do with these designations (although they may have postulated similar vehicles.)

Edited by Pappystein
Added last line!

15 hours ago, komodo said:

I'll be "that guy"... A good whack of the titan revamp parts don't have sane tags, many are only "?sm68". This would make them easy to search for at least... :P

The new toys look really neat, and timely... I have a mission to build a low tech station in LKO:D 

Oh, and, good to be back... I'm glad everyone is doing well.

I uh, haven't actually gotten around to doing tags names or descriptions for like any of the new parts...

15 hours ago, komodo said:

Tacking this on... A scan of the files shows that this is true for the titans, but not any of the other liquid engines excepting the F1. It's in use across the board on solids to great effect, though. The plume crew needs another round of applause.

Similarly, I haven't (and honestly won't be the one to) gone back and added spool time to all the other engines.

42 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Minor bug report.  MOL RCS (new one) does not seem to have a For/AFT function even though that would be the largest nozzle on the module.   I am trying to add a new Docking node to my station (5 way dock) and using one set of these I get no fore/aft thrust (whatever direction the nozzle is pointing.

Uh. I totally didn't misname that transform and upload a fix after you said something. No-sir. :blush:

@Pappystein I see I wasn't the only one to look at the unpressurized cargo bay and stick an Agena docking collar into it. Hope you are doing it right and EVAing to the station.

Anyways, couple other concept arts from Lockheed.

This one is some sort of offshoot of MOL:

lockheed-horizons-6-man-space-station.jp

And this one is based on the Saturn IB LV:

lockheed-horizons-6-man-space-station-2-

I find the skirt around the bottom interesting, since it seemed to be there to protect against what looks to be radial mounted thrusters on the upper part of the station.

22 hours ago, draqsko said:

Meh, would have been better to downsize the SII and SIVB stages rather than downsize the SIC. Or reduce the % utilization while keeping the dry mass the same and increasing the Isp and thrust of the hydrolox stages. I mean 89% of the mass of a tank is LFO, so that 11% kept at true scaled value wouldn't change much if you balance the rest.

The S-II and S-IC stages have the same diameter, and Cobalt desired to retain the same relative lengths between them, which precludes downsizing them. Cobalt also didn't want to mess with relative volumes (you know how the various size 1 tanks don't have a 1:1 capacity vs length relationship with each other? Cobalt/JSO wanted to avoid that). BDB (really, JSO did a lot of the balancing work) is based on using a combination of real world ISPs and thrusts based on either 25% of real world values (lifter/sea level engines), 50% of real world values (vac engines so that the upper stage burns don't last forever), or 37.5% of real world values (the J-2, because it comes in both sea level and vac versions, and it didn't make any sense for the vac version to have a higher surface thrust than the sea level one).

39 minutes ago, draqsko said:

@Pappystein I see I wasn't the only one to look at the unpressurized cargo bay and stick an Agena docking collar into it. Hope you are doing it right and EVAing to the station.

That is why the Airlock is the next module "Up" from the nose cone port.

I tend to follow CLS in idea if not actual MOD.   No crew through the stupidly too small nose-cone.

Besides, that port is a Limited use port.  Mostly for orbital Gemini missions that run low on RCS propellant (or need to transfer only 1 crew member.)   My plan is to use the new Gemini Shuttle components for most of the flights.   Also, I will be using BigG in the same roll with either my SM I have been flying for a while thanks to Orbital Phoenix OR I may try to tweakscale the new Gemini Shuttle parts.  

5 hours ago, draqsko said:

I find the skirt around the bottom interesting, since it seemed to be there to protect against what looks to be radial mounted thrusters on the upper part of the station.

I too have built stations around that format, it's a nice fit. I do like that bottom one, i'll have to remember it. I was kind at least and put an airlock adjacent to the docking port. :P

Edited by komodo

1 hour ago, TimothyC said:

The S-II and S-IC stages have the same diameter, and Cobalt desired to retain the same relative lengths between them, which precludes downsizing them. Cobalt also didn't want to mess with relative volumes (you know how the various size 1 tanks don't have a 1:1 capacity vs length relationship with each other? Cobalt/JSO wanted to avoid that). BDB (really, JSO did a lot of the balancing work) is based on using a combination of real world ISPs and thrusts based on either 25% of real world values (lifter/sea level engines), 50% of real world values (vac engines so that the upper stage burns don't last forever), or 37.5% of real world values (the J-2, because it comes in both sea level and vac versions, and it didn't make any sense for the vac version to have a higher surface thrust than the sea level one).

Like I said, I killed a lot of trees working that thing out. First I tried to put a patch to make the Vectors cryogenic but that didn't really work because Ox and LF are fairly close in density and LH2 and LOx are fairly close in density as well, but LH2 and Ox are not even within the same ballpark. Maybe if the orbiter parts were more mass appropriate to the scale it would have but right after you lost the SRMs it was uncontrollable because the orbiter was so heavy it produced a huge shift in CoM. Of course then I would have had to balance out the Puffs with the OMS relative to the new mass, and what not. In the end it was  more trouble than it was worth and easier to just twiddle with the fuel load, fuel flow, and moving the SRMs a bit closer to the orbiter so they were mostly aligned with the CoM of the orbiter and ET alone. I would have done things differently but I'm more engineer than artist, give me a bunch of numbers to crunch and I'm happy. Either way, the Saturn looks and feels appropriate even if not entirely accurate which is probably more important unless you go RSS/RO, besides if I really felt there was something wrong I'm not afraid of github, but as they say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

That is why the Airlock is the next module "Up" from the nose cone port.

I tend to follow CLS in idea if not actual MOD.   No crew through the stupidly too small nose-cone.

Besides, that port is a Limited use port.  Mostly for orbital Gemini missions that run low on RCS propellant (or need to transfer only 1 crew member.)   My plan is to use the new Gemini Shuttle components for most of the flights.   Also, I will be using BigG in the same roll with either my SM I have been flying for a while thanks to Orbital Phoenix OR I may try to tweakscale the new Gemini Shuttle parts.  

Did the same thing with the 5-way connectors and the MOL airlocks, put the airlocks right above the hatches on the Gemini so I can head canon those inflatable crew passages for transferring crew. I don't even feel right using the 0.625m port for crew transfer. Sure I guess mathematically it would be possible, but mathematically a fit person could squeeze through a 1 foot by 2 foot opening as well but it sure isn't something you want to do except in emergencies. Maybe I just have an aversion to tight spaces after spending my days crawling inside and fixing Index-werke mill-turn centers but I can't see anyone doing that when it's your only life line out of a bad situation.

9 minutes ago, komodo said:

I too have built stations around that format, it's a nice fit. I do like that bottom one, i'll have to remember it. I was kind at least and put an airlock adjacent to the docking port. :P

If you look closely at the bottom image, the airlock is in the middle of the triple docking ports and one astronaut is climbing a tether or story pole to it. Probably the most realistic model of an EVA transfer.

12 hours ago, draqsko said:

Did the same thing with the 5-way connectors and the MOL airlocks, put the airlocks right above the hatches on the Gemini so I can head canon those inflatable crew passages for transferring crew. I don't even feel right using the 0.625m port for crew transfer. Sure I guess mathematically it would be possible, but mathematically a fit person could squeeze through a 1 foot by 2 foot opening as well but it sure isn't something you want to do except in emergencies. Maybe I just have an aversion to tight spaces after spending my days crawling inside and fixing Index-werke mill-turn centers but I can't see anyone doing that when it's your only life line out of a bad situation.

hey I am NOT a fit person and I can get into those 1x2 openings just fine.   But as un-fit as I am I am still more than a bit of a contortionist.   And remember that Kerbals (other than their heads) are WAY smaller than 0.625 so even with a bulky space suit they could fit through that sized opening... again forgetting their heads.... Add the heads and esp the ladies with the ponytails and not only no but HECK NO! :)  

That being said, I do love all the people that seem to think ALL docking ports allow a full sized person to get through it.

23 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Uh. I totally didn't misname that transform and upload a fix after you said something. No-sir. :blush:

So you totally proved you were my squishy friend the Hunam.....   Err Human :)  

Sorry for the gratuitous Star Control repurposed quote :)

Don't have a lot to add to this discussion, but I will point out that there are now two Gemini-compatible docking ports for berthing your spacecraft. :)

... Actually, no, I do have some stuff to add... First off, if you haven't seen the Github issue for the Gemini stuff, here's pretty much all the stuff I'm at least considering working on if not already modeled. Hopefully that will be enough to help y'all build some more... aesthetic Gemini stations? :P

So, taking a bit of a step back: My goal in making Gemini-sized station parts is to give people something of an alternative, or at least an addition, to making lots of uncrewed landers and probes in the early-mid to mid game. I want to give people the ability to build and grow modular stations, maybe to take and process science retrieved by said uncrewed missions or by crewed flybys/orbiters of nearby moons. I'm deliberately avoiding MORL, since that is essentially an extension of the S-IV/S-IVB upper stages and as has been said their future is a bit in question? So, the next best group of designs after MOL would be the 'classic' "One Room" / "Two Room" / "Four Room" station designs for Gemini. Here's a link to David S.F. Portree's post on the topic: http://spaceflighthistory.blogspot.com/2015/12/space-station-gemini-1962.html

So, as just a quick walkthrough of some of the new parts that I want to include:

oneroomstation2.jpg

Here we see three of them: The Ring-and-Fork docking system (two parts) and the One Room station module.

tworoomstationinitial.jpg

Here's a couple more. I am at a bit of a loss for whether the "Two Room" module should also be a part, what do people think? The amount of additional work to have both would be minimal, I think. But it's up to y'all. There's also the issue of what do I make these in game?  Habs? Labs? One of each? I really don't know.

Here you can also see the "trick" of the ring-and-fork docking system. You lose out on being androgynous compared to the other 1.875m port, but the Fork side will be capable of switching from a 1.875m form factor to essentially just the forks and the crew tunnel, making it easier to radially mount without having as much bulk. I'm not planning on having the low-profile fork have differently sized forks as depicted here, I'm probably just going to split the difference.

And then the Two Room station could be augmented by sending up a Gemini Supply/Transport to expand it and fill out the equipment:

tworoomstationsupplymod.jpg

And then sort of the minimal end-goal of this design architecture would be this:

foorroomstationmaxsize.jpg

Here you see another new part - a large fixed solar array. This would constitute the biggest solar array for the Gemini parts. There's two Two Room station modules essentially bolted together on the ground to form a bigger station, which you'll note seems to match up somewhat with this image @draqsko posted:

lockheed-horizons-6-man-space-station.jp

The endcap on the left side of this image is the inspiration for the 1.875m structural endcap I'm making - I think it will have a toggle between a 0.625m hatch and being fully closed off:

fKbuI3N.png

Here's a closer look at that Four Room station. The solar panels and some other details appear to be different but you get the idea.

8018428326_226ebc1c15_k.jpg

Here's a resupply craft that was designed for these stations. In this depiction you can see it's essentially one of those one-room station modules complete with a shrouded fork docking system, so that once the Gemini leaves the cargo module can be left behind and have future craft docked to it. Alternatively, the pressurized segment of the Gemini Ferry would fit well there...

supplytransport+-+Copy+%25282%2529.jpg

There's also a couple things I want to make from Dawn of the Dragon, another timeline by the author of Eyes Turned Skywards, which sort of uses China as a proxy for carrying out these Gemini plans:

reOn1cU.png
bamHJny.png

The big thing I want to have is these smaller fixed solar panels, which hopefully would be nicer to mount/use than the ATM solar panels I showed in my build from Saturday.

All that in addition to trying to fix up the remaining parts that haven't been touched up: The MOL structural adapters, docking port, and the current solar panel, for instance. I want to add a 0.9375m crew tunnel which I think would also make a good spot for mounting external equipment without increasing the width of the station too much... If there are more structural parts needed I guess let me know but I think using the Skylab radial attachment port you should be able to add docking ports nicely and stuff like that.

But, all this is really contingent on how long it takes me to get through it. There's still a bunch of stuff for the Titan and LDC I need to finish as well, I just REALLY wanted to give the Gemini stuff some love in this update. :) I fully expect to cut some of this from the release.

Edited by CobaltWolf

13 hours ago, draqsko said:

Like I said, I killed a lot of trees working that thing out. First I tried to put a patch to make the Vectors cryogenic but that didn't really work because Ox and LF are fairly close in density and LH2 and LOx are fairly close in density as well, but LH2 and Ox are not even within the same ballpark.

I'm a bit confused here. BDB, reDIRECT, and CryoEngines/Tanks use Ox in place of LOx. Also, in the real world, non densified LOx has a specific gravity of about 1.1 (water being about 1). Liquid Hydrogen on the other hand has a specific density of 0.07. Now, you need about 5-6 times the mass of LOx that you do of LH2, but that means the LH2 tanks are still a major driving factor in the density of the entire tank system. In average rockets the specific gravity of the total prop (fuel and oxidizer) is about 0.99 for Kerolox, 0.8 for Methalox (Less dense fuel, but more Oxygen), and 0.35 for Hydrolox.

2 hours ago, TimothyC said:

I'm a bit confused here. BDB, reDIRECT, and CryoEngines/Tanks use Ox in place of LOx. Also, in the real world, non densified LOx has a specific gravity of about 1.1 (water being about 1). Liquid Hydrogen on the other hand has a specific density of 0.07. Now, you need about 5-6 times the mass of LOx that you do of LH2, but that means the LH2 tanks are still a major driving factor in the density of the entire tank system. In average rockets the specific gravity of the total prop (fuel and oxidizer) is about 0.99 for Kerolox, 0.8 for Methalox (Less dense fuel, but more Oxygen), and 0.35 for Hydrolox.

CryoEngines burn LH2:Ox at a 15:1 ratio. So let's take 100 units of Ox and put 1500 units of LH2 against it, neglecting dry mass. 100 units of Ox is 500 kg, 1500 units of LH2 is ~106 kg. That 500 kg of Ox takes up 617 L, 1500 units of LH2 is 806 L. So Ox is 0.810 kg/L, LF is the same density in KSP 0.810 kg/L, LH2 is 0.132 kg/L so Ox and LF is about 6 times denser than LH2.

2113274C2AD905B369B8D1DCDC556BDE1FEEFD9A

CoM moves way too much for engine gimbal to compensate given the extra weight of the orbiter versus the external tank. I would have had to make patches for all the orbiter parts, then rebalance the engines to be more appropriate for that mass, then fix the Isp of the engines since Isp is a mass flow rate (Isp = Thrust / [ g0 * m-dot ], m-dot is in kg/s). It wouldn't have been something so simple as just converting the Vectors to cryogenic and call it a day. And there's something to be said for being more trouble than it's worth, especially when it's fairly easy to balance using LFO.

Edit: This is why I dont complain much about choices developers and modders make when balancing things, sometimes you just have to make choices that aren't optimal but are the best you can do without making yourself crazy.

Edited by draqsko

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Don't have a lot to add to this discussion, but I will point out that there are now two Gemini-compatible docking ports for berthing your spacecraft. :)

There's also a couple things I want to make from Dawn of the Dragon, another timeline by the author of Eyes Turned Skywards, which sort of uses China as a proxy for carrying out these Gemini plans:

reOn1cU.png

So a thought just popped into my head.    If you want to make parts from Dawn of the Dragon, IF or when you ever DO make a new Gemini capsule that is accurate....   Re-texture and reuse the existing model for a DotD clone?      That way the IVA isn't wasted and only a couple of parts are needed (nose cone forward mostly)      After all If I recall correctly Dawn of the Dragon was near Gemini clone but NOT a Gemini capsule....

I know re-using existing parts isn't your favorite thing Cobaltwolf, and I get it.  You are going for accuracy where before you did not prioritize that previously.  But DotD would be a good use for those parts.   I would have to re-read it but I think the RCS system was also the retro system (like existing Gemini in mod.)     

ETS, DotD and the Flyback Saturn (I don't remember the story name At the moment)  stories are all awesome inspiration for much of what I do in KSP.   I don't follow the stories tightly (I use them for inspiration only) but I do like some of the concepts that have come out of that group of authors.

RE parts list.   Instead of removing Airlock request it be lengthened so that it is the same height as the Un-pressurized module and that that the back be flattened so a docking port of 0.9375m can be placed opposite.  This way it can be used in the Unpressurized section and be "full station Diameter"   As well as if turned backwards in the unpressurized section It can be used as a mounting point for a recessed APAS or the new low profile docking port from the Gemini lander... so a Gemini capsule can be nose docked without dramatically extending the width of the station.   As stated above I, and others use the airlock to get crew out of Gemini capsules to our stations due to that is how it was done before Blue Gemini! :)

Beyond your list I see 2 or 3 structural parts that I would love to see receive MOL style texture but they are decidedly NOT historically correct (well one of them anyway.)   

• 0.9375 aperture 6 way sphere (so sphere's max diameter is 1.25m but the 6 flat plates are all 0.9375m)   VERY Russian but it would allow me to drop other mods from my playlist and eliminate the ugly stock 6 way from my station building.
  • 0.9375Dx0.625L structural tube   There are not enough SHORT WIDE structural parts in the game.   The 1.25m Diameter stock tube is ~2 Meters long!
  • 0.9375 to 1.875 45 degree cone

Yes all 3 together turn the MOL into the Russian DOS style station parts.   But I tend to like the flexibility of the DOS spherical docking nodes... Esp if I am making tank farms in orbit.

Edited by Pappystein

qcc9Ol3.png

EDIT: I forgot to actually explain what this is. So from left to right, the structural endcap (which will have a toggle between the 0.625m end and an actual cap), the One Room station module, and of course the MOL lab.

On top is a new dipole antenna that I saw a long time ago in some artwork and have wanted to do ever since. :)

I decided that I do want to do a two room station module, it's sort of the one room module split with a barrel section added to the middle. Both of the modules need more greebling still:

wjsBErn.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

Can't wait. I've always wanted to do the butt docking Gemini station since I first seen it but no real way to do that without some sort of hack job to put a docking port on the base of the Gemini SM. And it never looked right with anything I could rig up. Those hook docks will be sweet and not just for Gemini stations. Yeah the wheels are already turning.

13 hours ago, TheKSPBeginner said:

@CobaltWolf pls update for 1.7.3

Everything works in 1.7.3 just make sure the dependencies are updated. I forgot to update the thread title and well... it's a little late now :P

9 hours ago, draqsko said:

Can't wait. I've always wanted to do the butt docking Gemini station since I first seen it but no real way to do that without some sort of hack job to put a docking port on the base of the Gemini SM. And it never looked right with anything I could rig up. Those hook docks will be sweet and not just for Gemini stations. Yeah the wheels are already turning.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. People that don't like gendered (wouldn't it be sexed?) docking ports but I think it's awesome.

11 hours ago, draqsko said:

err I can come up with two ways to do that already... One doesn't even require other mods except tweakscale

CtX7mPM.jpg

And add the parts by

BBT2CbC.jpg

In the picture above I have the Integrated Phoenix 4x engine plate... I was going for full recovery so the chutes are there but if you didn't put the chutes there.. and so long as you use the shorter RL10 engines you can put an APAS docking plate in the center.

In both pictures above these are both my kitbash of a BigG Service module.  So the Gemini 2/1 engine plate is tweakscaled up to 3.125m and the forward fuel tank is actually a Saturn S-IVA conic tank with a Centaur G, 2.5m tank

The Integrated Phoenix one is a IPI Tank plus 4x engine mount all adjusted to Hydrolox for fuel and a brace of RL10s.   I think I modified the engine plate CFG so I only needed 2 engines (2x symmetry instead of locked at 4x symmetry)

I currently do not have Integrated Phoenix Industries installed so I currently can't do this.   I am trying a minimalist build to see how far BDB + Stock can carry me in Career and what hurdles I have to overcome... Basically trying to have a firm grasp of the balance of the stock tech tree with BDB.

31 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

err I can come up with two ways to do that already... One doesn't even require other mods except tweakscale

CtX7mPM.jpg

And add the parts by

BBT2CbC.jpg

In the picture above I have the Integrated Phoenix 4x engine plate... I was going for full recovery so the chutes are there but if you didn't put the chutes there.. and so long as you use the shorter RL10 engines you can put an APAS docking plate in the center.

In both pictures above these are both my kitbash of a BigG Service module.  So the Gemini 2/1 engine plate is tweakscaled up to 3.125m and the forward fuel tank is actually a Saturn S-IVA conic tank with a Centaur G, 2.5m tank

The Integrated Phoenix one is a IPI Tank plus 4x engine mount all adjusted to Hydrolox for fuel and a brace of RL10s.   I think I modified the engine plate CFG so I only needed 2 engines (2x symmetry instead of locked at 4x symmetry)

I currently do not have Integrated Phoenix Industries installed so I currently can't do this.   I am trying a minimalist build to see how far BDB + Stock can carry me in Career and what hurdles I have to overcome... Basically trying to have a firm grasp of the balance of the stock tech tree with BDB.

No I mean exactly like the station Cobalt has pictured, where you use the Gemini or Gemini B and hook up on the Service Module and it's fairly flat. Even what you have pictured is fairly bulky. And I don't use Tweakscale as a matter of principle because it makes things harder to troubleshoot with rescaling, SMURFF and Configurable Containers, I've found KSP doesn't like zero or negative mass parts. PicoPort or APAS  may work but don't really look good when placed on the SM since it's got a concave bottom, and if you try to clip it in, you might run into issues with part colliders.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. People that don't like gendered (wouldn't it be sexed?) docking ports but I think it's awesome.

Gendered, sexed is something else entirely. As an adjective for humans, it describes a degree of promiscuity, e.g. highly sexed individual, while when used in animal husbandry (the more common usage) it describes an animal whose sex is identified, e.g. sexed chickens or other fowl. And gendered (Apollo probe and drogue), or androgynous keyed (ISS APAS) are always welcomed in my book since those are closest to the real things. Stock ports remind me of kisser fish fighting, where they smack their lips together: 

Edit: This is what happens when you forget to turn off SAS when docking. Or at least in my mind.

Edited by draqsko

18 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I decided that I do want to do a two room station module, it's sort of the one room module split with a barrel section added to the middle. Both of the modules need more greebling still:

Any change you could do simple IVAs for those? :) Nothing fancy, just a bare-bones shell with seats. I wanted to give them some nice decor: 
screenshot29.png

Can you guess what module this is? :) 

Edited by Guest