[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

- New tracking solar panels. There will also be a double-width version, as well as non-tracking versions of both that unlock earlier/are cheaper.

Will they have a reflective surface? It doesn't seem like they currently do.

4 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Will they have a reflective surface? It doesn't seem like they currently do.

Guess what? I used the effing shader! Followed the Restock recipe! It doesn't effing work in game! It works in Unity editor, it woks in the VAB, not in space! So what a good use of my effing time...

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Guess what? I used the effing shader! Followed the Restock recipe! It doesn't effing work in game! It works in Unity editor, it woks in the VAB, not in space! So what a good use of my effing time...

That's extremely weird. Does it work on the pad? The effect is more subtle in space, so maybe that's what you're seeing (there really isn't much to reflect up there). If it works in VAB, it should work everywhere else.

Also, could you try a black/very dark purple surface? It's actually more realistic, and should bring the reflections out better.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I had the same problem working on the updated reflective Orion capsule, looked right in Unity, looked right in the VAB, but looked like garbage out in the world.  I discovered that you have to go into the game's Settings, under Graphics, and set the "Reflection Refresh Mode".  I set mine to "Low" (it's set to "Off" by default) and the "Reflection Texture Resolution" to 256, and it makes a world of difference.

Edited by TheShadow1138

23 minutes ago, hieywiey said:

What actuates the forks? Is it like a hydraulic, or just wires pulled manually?

I don't know, I'm still trying to figure it out. Getting the ring-and-fork system in game is a priority but I haven't had enough time to mess with them.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Trying to figure out the low-profile fork docking port...

m4wxQSy.png

RDcX51F.png

In a word....   YEeesssss! :D

3 hours ago, hieywiey said:

What actuates the forks? Is it like a hydraulic, or just wires pulled manually?

I have an article SOMEWHERE on my computer about building a permanent station using a Ring/Fork style docking ports.   The document calls it a Ring/Lock style.   It is implied that the lock/fork is spring loaded to keep the attaching node stable to the station.      HOWEVER this does not make sense IRL because docking would be really loud throughout the station when ever these spring loaded locks closed.  (The sound travels through the physical station obviously NOT through space since that is a vacuum....) 

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I don't know, I'm still trying to figure it out. Getting the ring-and-fork system in game is a priority but I haven't had enough time to mess with them.

I know I haven't found anything in my MOL/Gemini station documents (which are somewhere between scant and thin)   For all I know the latches are actually handled by the astronauts ....   I doubt it but I have no proof either way.

18 hours ago, TheShadow1138 said:

I had the same problem working on the updated reflective Orion capsule, looked right in Unity, looked right in the VAB, but looked like garbage out in the world.  I discovered that you have to go into the game's Settings, under Graphics, and set the "Reflection Refresh Mode".  I set mine to "Low" (it's set to "Off" by default) and the "Reflection Texture Resolution" to 256, and it makes a world of difference.

Thanks for the tip.. .when I get back into my next KSP session I will check those settings and try that on my end.   My settings are/were handled by Nvidia specifically for KSP so who is to say

So, ring-and-fork is a priority... but I didn't have those files on me today. Anyways, how about the advanced androgynous 1.875m docking port? :)

oTD8O6I.png
4Gz249T.png
RNItmhb.png
h2lk4M5.png
w63Se31.png
kHmYPEZ.png

Unrelated (and untextured), here are the three flavors of 1.875m plate adapter - 0.9375m, 1.25m, and 1.5m.

oT21M4c.png

And, I don't think people got a good look at it, so here's the mockup for the new airlock. The idea was to make it seem like a standalone version of the one embedded in the MOL.

3upidTM.png
iET6F1n.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

22 hours ago, TheShadow1138 said:

THIS works!!!!   (and NVidia had already set it for me to the exact same settings.... thank you Nvidia)

@CobaltWolf I just deployed the new MOL solar panel at the launch pad on a cloudy day and they look AWESOME!   I can't wait to see these in direct light!

==================================================

Followup:   Rocket launched and X-20 Transtage is in orbit about to dock with my station.   The solar pannels DO reflect.   However they have a limited or very dark reflection (I don't know how to say it better.)  

The reflection seems to only work when the Array is about 45 degrees from the Sun/lightsource and the view is Perpendicular to the array (so I am looking at the array panel section straight on and the Panel is 45 degrees to the sun.

I will work on upgrading the reflection seetings to a higher standard than TheShadow1138 posted to see if that makes an improvement.

Edited by Pappystein

Some pictures of the new MOL Solar panel with reflections showing....

CSMGN8R.jpgkY6QZUN.jpg

hnQskYL.jpg

In the first two pictures you can see shadows on the Arrays better than you can the reflection.

On the Trype the left most array (Left and up) you can actually see some reflection.   

I tried several sets of settings and could not get better than this.   The panels are beautiful... the reflection on them less so.   Probably a very tedious experiment to partially fail.....   Still I think these panels look VERY GOOD even if they are not "perfect"

It is almost as if the in game reflection shadder does not know where to reflect from.   NOOB questions but in setting up the reflection, do you have to set a bounce angle or vector? 

EDIT====

almost missed this photo...  I thought it was one of the best for reflections

Xt3iGQw.jpg

Edited by Pappystein

14 hours ago, Pappystein said:

THIS works!!!!   (and NVidia had already set it for me to the exact same settings.... thank you Nvidia)

@CobaltWolf I just deployed the new MOL solar panel at the launch pad on a cloudy day and they look AWESOME!   I can't wait to see these in direct light!

==================================================

Followup:   Rocket launched and X-20 Transtage is in orbit about to dock with my station.   The solar pannels DO reflect.   However they have a limited or very dark reflection (I don't know how to say it better.)  

The reflection seems to only work when the Array is about 45 degrees from the Sun/lightsource and the view is Perpendicular to the array (so I am looking at the array panel section straight on and the Panel is 45 degrees to the sun.

I will work on upgrading the reflection seetings to a higher standard than TheShadow1138 posted to see if that makes an improvement.

11 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Some pictures of the new MOL Solar panel with reflections showing....

In the first two pictures you can see shadows on the Arrays better than you can the reflection.

On the Trype the left most array (Left and up) you can actually see some reflection.   

I tried several sets of settings and could not get better than this.   The panels are beautiful... the reflection on them less so.   Probably a very tedious experiment to partially fail.....   Still I think these panels look VERY GOOD even if they are not "perfect"

It is almost as if the in game reflection shadder does not know where to reflect from.   NOOB questions but in setting up the reflection, do you have to set a bounce angle or vector? 

EDIT====

almost missed this photo...  I thought it was one of the best for reflections

Yeah, exactly. I get that space is pretty empty so I understand why there wouldn't be a lot reflecting in orbit? But the fact that it straight up doesn't reflect the sun is... yeah. what. It's awful. I hate.

Some random canoodling to share with y'all...

Here's the revamped version of the existing MOL panel. As you can see, it will have options for something like the current shape, as well as normal square panels. Will be purely visual.

They will attach differently than the previous version, this time I took care to do things that would be mechanically possible.

Y65FtMR.png
9Aj37rW.png

I also animated that little whip antenna I showed the other day...

Finally, messing around with the kind of modular station you could make with the update.

Station core, the middle would be 0.9375m crew tubes and the upper section is the 1.5m lab module.

vLxalqc.png

And here's what it could look like with two additional modules...

jX8mk8I.png
wsfK8uN.png

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Here's the revamped version of the existing MOL panel. As you can see, it will have options for something like the current shape, as well as normal square panels. Will be purely visual.

They will attach differently than the previous version, this time I took care to do things that would be mechanically possible.

If I could, all I would do all day is continuously hit like on this post :D

6 hours ago, SomeDudePlayingKsp said:

Somehow i get a fatal error stating that B9 part switch experienced a fatal error and Ksp needs to quit, What can i do to prevent this?

Post your log, most likely something is installed incorrectly.  I guess maybe do it in the B9PartSwitch thread though.

Edited by blowfish

5 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

Hi I have been reading the BDB  unofficial wiki on the various craft and wanted to replicate the Delta IV cant seem to figure out the upper stage can somebody please help with a craft file or a list of parts PLEASE !

Thanks in advance

VG

It's not a BDB rocket and it's a bit of a kitbash of different parts.  You can knock up an upper stage with a bit of tweakscale and the BDB RL10-B2 engine, otherwise reDirect has a DCSS model that you can use for the Delta IV upper stage.  The interstage is just a procedural fairing interstage adaptor.  If it's just looks you're after, the BDB SR-120 solid rocket motor looks the part.